Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / I Think I'm Finally Ready To Leave Portland
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 8:27 pm

I love the Pacific Northwest. The mountains,the forests,the incredible run of local bands right now,even the rain. But i've been feeling the urge to split for a while.I'm missing my family (it'll be the last go around for my Mom,she's 80 years old) and the bad things about this city are running neck-and-neck w/ the good,so i'm considering a move.

It's gonna take me some time to figure this all out,save $$$ and take care of some stuff that i should deal with up here,but i think it's time for something else. I reserve the right to change my mind on this,but it's been an impulse i've had for quite some time. I think the change could do me good but i'm too old to just up n' leave w/out a plan so i'm mulling my options carefully at this point.

As for you PDX folks,don't fret! My time might be up but it hasn't passed yet! I still have things i wanna and have to do here before leaving. I don't wanna burn bridges here,i still think it's a great city that i'll probably retire in,at least that's how i see it right now.But yeah,changes are-a- comin'. Any input from the Board is appreciated,that's why i posted it on here...
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 8:29 pm

MOVE TO JACKSON!!!!
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 8:32 pm

Come down to LA, nigga....It's nicer weather and the girls have nicer JOBS...Boob jobs that is.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 8:39 pm

Beaverton!!!
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 8:41 pm

bad things about this city are running neck-and-neck w/ the good

I thought all that crap cleared up when Fierydrunk left?
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 8:44 pm

you know joe, after spending 2 and 1/2 months travelling through the south, and seeing a bunch of great music, and hangin with all those southern folks, it was REALLY HARD to come back to grey old portland, where people don't say hello to one another, and where everyone is pretty much the same demographic.

new orleans seems like it'd be a fun place to live. and you'd be really close to your peeps.

i for one would miss seeing you around.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:12 pm

Joe- I still need to record once if just for shits and giggles.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:13 pm

Kalamazoo.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:28 pm

Come to Memphis Joe. Stay with us.
-Ken & Erin
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:37 pm

salt lake rocknroll needs a boost. its really easy to ignore everyone and there's still enough uptight people playing music that stirring up trouble aint hard at all.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:42 pm

I love the Pacific Northwest. The mountains,the forests,the incredible run of local bands right now,even the rain. But i've been feeling the urge to split for a while.

I've been having this same urge for about two years now. Problem is, I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather live.... it's starting to flip me out a bit.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:43 pm

run to the hills
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:44 pm

but the hills have eyes
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:58 pm

these eyes have seen alot of love
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 10:04 pm

Me speaking up on this topic is asking for it, but the bottom line is...do what you want. I have moved to and left so many places and you can always move back to Portland if you feel like you miss it that bad. I think people sort of owe it to themselves if they aren't feeling right somewhere just to go somewhere else semi-attractive (or not) and challenge themselves to make it work out somehow.

Granted Florida has a disgusting number of asshole, going-nowhere-fast wiggers and their accompanying hobags whose fashion is stuck in 1991 that can make it very hard on the eyes at times. But easy on the eyes are the killer sunsets, endless greenery and my new license plate with a Marlin on it that says "FISH FLORIDA!"
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 10:42 pm

memphis!!!!!! it's cheap to live here and the weather is fantastic and the music is pretty rad and folks are really nice and the food is terrific.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 11:08 pm

If Memphis had marlins on their license plates, I'd move home for sure.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 11:09 pm

If Memphis had marlins on their license plates

Only when you back into the dude.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 11:17 pm

move to Alaska. it's easy to rule there.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 11:45 pm

considering a move

I do this once a week. Seriously think about it, once a month.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:28 am | Edited by: Joe Pestilence

Bowie,you can't leave yet,the Hot Knives rule too much!

I'm not leaving tomorrow or anything. It took me 10 years to get up here and i've lived here 12,so it's not gonna be an immediate move. I could've stayed in Seattle when i moved there (even as i wound up in an unpleasant housing sitch) but one of the biggest reasons i left wasn't the cost of living but my creative options. There were none that suited my needs and i considered dropping out of this whole Rn'R racket while living there. I wasn't ready to do that so i went back to PDX.

This place has even changed since then,with so-called "Creative Class" types geting priced out of close-in neighborhoods (the Oregonian has a front page article about this today) and being pushed further East. Places to live are at a premium now,as everybody moving here and Apartment-Condo conversions have eaten away at most affordable rent that's not an extreme (Section 8 housing or Pearl District condos). I'm about to move into a temporary place out on SE 87th and Yamhill,which if you live in PDX you know is the 4th Level Of Hell. I expect to move in closer after this period,but if i'm not able to then this knocks my departure date up a bit. Even despite that there's this overall feeling of reaching a ceiling w/ the Rocks n' Rolls here,that my time in Portland music is truly up.

I have a general idea of where i'd like to wind up,it all depends on what i can find for work. Memphis? On the short list. K-Zoo? Maybe,but i'd try to find work in Chicago first. LA? Isn't that in California? Naw,i'd even consider SoCal but i know i'd need a whole lotta $$$ and a car to make that happen. what i'm thinking now is South first,Midwest second,everything else third. But this changes every day... who knows where i'll wind up.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:31 am

New York Shity! It's CRAZINGS!
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:35 am

Bowie,you can't leave yet,the Hot Knives rule too much!

Well, Joe, with that logic you can't leave yet either!!! All your bands rule! But I get sick of this place, and not to mention the severe depression at times. But it really surprises me that you would write this today! IT IS SO FREAKING BEAUTIFUL OUTSIDE!!! THIS, my friend, is WHY we live in Portland. For days like today. Even though I overdrew my bank account today. Even though I wonder everyday HOW i'm gonna afford a drink. Even though life sucks. Today is OK.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:38 am

Today is rulin' pretty hard. I even put the top down on the whip!
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:39 am

get a blog for gods sake
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:41 am

Memphis?

I'll freak out if I ever get an opportunity to fill in on "King City".
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:45 am

So I am assuming Super D isn't practicing? In Portland that is.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:45 am

get a blog for gods sake

You ARE a blog. Wait, you talking to me or Joe? Oh, who cares? You ARE a blog.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:48 am

YEAH!
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:53 am

Train,NYS,er,C is also an option... i wouldn't need a car to live thtere!

Bowie,thanks for the praise of the bands i play in. But that is exactly one of the reasons i think you can stick a fork in me for PDXRNR. I'll never be able to escape the Silver Kings as long as i live here,which if i have any prospect of being taken "seriously" in a band i will have to eventually kill. I've tried,and am trying,to shake off that rockin'albatross while still playing occasionally. I wanna put out a proper Kings LP and be done with that business.

Howie And the Hot Knives on the other hand... blank slate. There's nowhere to go but up w/that band!I'd rather go see the HHK's than play in the SKings at this point,we have some unfinished business and then we're done. I think there's a better way to further the PDXRNR than being in yet another band... but i'm getting ahead of myself here.

And i don't wanna leave because i'm sick of being here,quite the opposite! This place pisses me off but i still love it,i just think that in order to do what's next i just have to leave the alcoholic womb of Lotusland to make it happen. It seems like the only place on the West Coast w/ a big semi-coherent Real Rock n'Roll scene,sorry everywhere else,but it's time for a personal change.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:58 am

No Jon,SuperDs will still practice. Like i said,i ain't done yet! And you know i have no idea what a "Blug" is or whatever it is you called it.

And the weather does rule today!
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 1:09 am

Joe- Still want to see 300 tonight? We're going to Lloyd for the 7:30
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 1:37 am

vegas...baby
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 2:18 am

Usually when I think about leaving, it's always for Finland, Black Metal and genital mutilation. Sometimes, when I'm reminiscing in my blog about dumpster diving Taco Bell in San Francisco, I remember the time when, in that quaint little friendly place called Portland I hung out in for a couple months back in '88, that there was this rad Dead Kennedys show over at the La Luna. We dropped acid laced with X for the first time with the dudes from Doo Rag and stayed up all night drinking cough syrup. This was several years before bike lanes and so psychadelic bike rides really were a hardcore affair. We shot heroin that day over at the Dandy's place for the first time and one of my buddies had sex with one of the girls from Sleater-Kinney. I, for the most part, wound up in some warehouse-loft with techno blasting and a bunch of white people with dreadlocks havin' a drum jam. I'm pretty sure I came in touch with my personal mantra that night. I stayed with the 'tussin program for about 36 more hours after that and whiled away the time over at 24 Hour Hotcake House (it's 24-7) hanging out with Rick, the line cook. He had some meth connection and he had cable TV and he had about a half-dozen four-barrel carburators that needed re-buildin'. Me, him and Jacob stayed up for three more days, and god dammit, that El Camino ran better than when it first came off the line. It was the most life-changing, awsome summers of our lives....
Be sure to tune in Next Week for, ummm, more about stuff...
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 2:21 am

YAY! I thought your blog would be about DESTROYING things. But! Instead! It was all about fixing things! Like fixing all those carburators, and the drum circle. Boy, those were the days.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 2:25 am

So, Joe P, what I think is being intimated here and there is that if you wanna talk about yourself, you have to start a blog or "blug" as you called it. Message boards such as the Goner Board are for, hmmm, I don't know what exactly. Maybe lots of "fag" this and that, busting friends for trying to pick up on little girls online and then everyone falling over each other trying to come up with the coolest list of songs about seducing little girls and you know, just OTHER STUFF!

Basically, don't elaborate. Unless it is on a list of uber-cool shit that everyone will agree is really fucking cool. Or if you wanna call someone a fag, please do!

Rahrrrr!
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 2:29 am

Fag.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 2:37 am | Edited by: saispas

OK, I've got one for ya jackass stands!

You're a fag!

(ah ha ha ha--this is some funny shit!)

But seriously folks...

I'm getting drunk and watching my brackets tonight. Portland must be better than here right now; allergies are BAD.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 2:42 am

JOE! Come to Memphis.
'Goula reunion at the Lamplighter to celebrate!
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 2:44 am

It is definitely cheaper in Memphis and pretty much every other city in the South. Plus you can laugh and laugh and the political follies--sooooo much more entertaining/ridiculous than the Portland ones (really).
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 2:49 am

NYC is so wounderfully expensive, you'd luv it! Plus there's lots o girls and parties and crime and oyu have to take the subway everywhere an it's compltetely crowded and FUN!
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 2:53 am

I was thinkin Chicago. Or Memphis? Or who freakin knows?
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 4:13 am

i just have to leave the alcoholic womb of Lotusland to make it happen

Hemingway had some quote about "Never mistake movement for action." i.e. your habits, foibles and follies will follow you everywhere you go... or something like that.

However, I will state that, in my humble opinion, the Super Destroyers are the finest band in PDX. If you leave, you will be missed.

But your bitching and moaning on the hand...
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 7:07 am | Edited by: Joe Pestilence

"So JoeP.,what i think is being intimated here and there is that you wanna talk about yourself,you have to start a blog or 'blug' as you called it."

I've already got 42 posts on this,i guess someone's paying attention...

I didn't think they were talking about me; i think destroyer was just parodying blog cliches,and Jon's just being a smartass cuz he's the SuperD's drummer and likes to give me shit.

I've read much worse on here. I'm just kicking the tires at this point,and i think the wise-ass avatars on here can give me some input i need to make a decision that'll effect my day-to-day existence. I didn't have to ask anyone about this but no matter what happens it would be a big change,so i appreciate the public's input if they wanna give it.

And everybody please don't think it's because i'm bummed out!I'm not bitching and moaning and i'm not running away. I think it could do me some good to split for awhile. Things musically are goin' good enough that it ultimately doesn't matter if i'm around or not,so i'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. I can stay in Portland and keep having fun,i know this,but i'd like to try something different too. The Interweb makes it to where i don't even have to be around at all theoretically but i can still do something, so i'd like to pursue that. It's way more interesting to me than re-hashing the 90s or being in Yet Another Band.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 7:11 am

fag.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 4:44 pm

I didn't think they were talking about me; i think destroyer was just parodying blog cliches,and Jon's just being a smartass cuz he's the SuperD's drummer and likes to give me shit.

Oh I know. I think my "humor" is too dry for this blug, I mean, message board.

He's a Lil Runaway!!!!!
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 9:42 pm

Too dry? Melba Toast.

And that's L'il Runaway,thankyouverymuch.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 9:44 pm

You're melba toast.

HA! GOTCHA!
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 11:57 pm

Posted: Mar 18, 2007 12:38 am

[/i][i] SE 87th and Yamhill

Ha! Felony Flatts, am I right?
Posted: Mar 18, 2007 12:40 am | Edited by: bowie

Yes, that is the Felony Flats. But that is also where the fine "Felony Fidelity" comes from..... So it's not all bad.
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 10:52 pm

come to Kalamazoo Joe..we can smoke crack at the old Gibson factory..it'll be so nostalgic. I can get you a job at Pro-Co cables!!!!
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 6:16 am

FUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK Yes, adopt me so I can leave this fucking town too! Five years wasted on high rent , bad education,poison air ,lousy food,toxic white hipster yuppie mecca shithole
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 7:41 am

bbq, last i heard the borders are still open to other states.it's noone's fault but your own if you've stuck around a place you hated for 5 years.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 7:49 am

FUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK Yes, adopt me so I can leave this fucking town too! Five years wasted on high rent , bad education,poison air ,lousy food,toxic white hipster yuppie mecca shithole
move to tejas, we "bbqgoat" every chance we get! we'll even let you dig your own hole.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 1:38 pm

lousy food

This one particular statement about Portland is so untrue! While I am digging the seafood at zillions of spots in Florida, Greek food in Tarpon Springs (holey moley go to Mykonos) and the burgers at El Cap on 4th St., I'd give my eyeteeth to have Portland's restaurants. Y'all are lucky as hell in that regard.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 4:53 pm

I'd give my eyeteeth to have Portland's restaurants. Y'all are lucky as hell in that regard.
Indeed. Great food and choices are a-plenty. Local beer and wine are bonuses.

I hear the murder rate there is lower than Memphis too (1:4). Can't be too bad.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 5:07 pm

It's not bad. There's just a bunch of people who have reached a point in there lives where they need a change and they seek to blame a location for their woes instead of taking responsibility and acting.

You are your life and nothing more, or something.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 5:07 pm

I'm breezy, yes, breezy.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 5:15 pm

And I'm not talking about anyone except the goat.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 5:42 pm

Good--cos while I agree with you mostly, some places just aren't right for some people. It is easier to blame than act, however, but once you do act (either by leaving for someplace you like better or just getting your ass in gear, period), it makes a huge difference in your overall mood and outlook. Portland is sort of fantastic as long as I am far away and I miss all the really cool things about it that don't exist here at all. But there are plenty of great things about this place that Portland lacks, so to throw my own cliche out...grass is always greener? Is that it?
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 5:57 pm

plus, it's fun to act better and smarter than everyone you've been rubbing shoulders with by insisting their city isn't capable of holding your attention and is in fact so banal and trite that you are compelled to leave, and that better, more wonderous places await you in your travels, places only you- in your esteemed intellect and taste- could appreciate.

That's a lot of fun, too.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 6:00 pm

Precisely.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 6:00 pm

I'd like to get to know your friend
there's no use trying to pretend
I fancy her much more than you
Eyes say there's nothing she won't do

The grass is always greener
The sky is always blue
The girls are so much sweeter
So what's a boy to do
What's a boy to do

I'd like to get to know your mum
It strikes me that she's much more fun
She knows the score been round the track
Ten Babychams then on her back

The sky is always blue
The girls are more obscener
So what's a boy to do
What's a boy to do

I'm sick and tired of your face
I'll trade you in and soon replace
You with another twice as good
It's terminal I really should

The sky is always blue
I'm just an evil schemer
So what's a boy to do
What's a boy to do
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®