Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Scientists cure cancer, but no one takes notice.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:45 pm

EDITORS NOTE:

Since the original publication of this article we have been inundated with responses from the public at all walks of life. It is important to note that research is ongoing with DCA, and not everyone is convinced it will turn out to be a miracle drug. There have been many therapies that were promising in vitro and in animal models that did not work for one reason or another in humans. To provide false hope is not our intention. There is a lot of information on DCA available on the web, and this column is but one opinion on the topic. We hope you will do your own research into the situation. So, we have added links to resources at the end of this column. If you are arriving here form a linking website like Fark, then those links will not appear because they tend to grab only the text. For those visitors, here is a link to the original research: www.depmed.ualberta.ca/dca

END NOTE

Scientists may have cured cancer last week.

Yep.

So, why haven't the media picked up on it?

Here's the deal. Researchers at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada found a cheap and easy to produce drug that kills almost all cancers. The drug is dichloroacetate, and since it is already used to treat metabolic disorders, we know it should be no problem to use it for other purposes.

Doesn't this sound like the kind of news you see on the front page of every paper?

The drug also has no patent, which means it could be produced for bargain basement prices in comparison to what drug companies research and develop.

Scientists tested DCA on human cells cultured outside the body where it killed lung, breast and brain cancer cells, but left healthy cells alone. Rats plump with tumors shrank when they were fed water supplemented with DCA.

Again, this seems like it should be at the top of the nightly news, right?

Cancer cells don't use the little power stations found in most human cells - the mitochondria. Instead, they use glycolysis, which is less effective and more wasteful.

Doctors have long believed the reason for this is because the mitochondria were damaged somehow. But, it turns out the mitochondria were just dormant, and DCA starts them back up again.

The side effect of this is it also reactivates a process called apoptosis. You see, mitochondria contain an all-too-important self-destruct button that can't be pressed in cancer cells. Without it, tumors grow larger as cells refuse to be extinguished. Fully functioning mitochondria, thanks to DCA, can once again die.

With glycolysis turned off, the body produces less lactic acid, so the bad tissue around cancer cells doesn't break down and seed new tumors.

Here's the big catch. Pharmaceutical companies probably won't invest in research into DCA because they won't profit from it. It's easy to make, unpatented and could be added to drinking water. Imagine, Gatorade with cancer control.

So, the groundwork will have to be done at universities and independently funded laboratories. But, how are they supposed to drum up support if the media aren't even talking about it?

All I can do is write this and hope Google News picks it up. In the meantime, tell everyone you know and do your own research.

PLEASE READ THE EDITOR'S NOTE AT THE TOP OF THIS COLUMN, AND PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINKS TO OTHER DCA RESOURCES LISTED DIRECTLY UNDER THIS COLUMN.

This is a column of opinion written by Printz Executive Editor David McRaney. Comments can be sent to printz@usm.edu

-----

http://media.www.studentprintz.com/media/storage/paper974/news/2007/01 /23/Opinion/Scientists.Cure.Cancer.But.No.One.Takes.Notice-2667600.sht ml
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:00 pm

Am I allowed to take notice to my own thread?
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:52 pm

wow that is amazing
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:53 pm

i want cancer control gatorade
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:54 pm

chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp....
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:57 pm

cancer control beer!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:57 pm

i want cancer control gatorade
fuck that...i won't drink it unless its Powerade. Green Squall.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:00 pm

oh yeah, good point. make mine the blue kind.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:12 pm

Im going to take up smoking
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:23 pm

cancer control cigarettes!

to bad it's all a bunch of hogwash
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:26 pm

we had a life insurance meeting today with some old hag from Allstate and this is what some new pretty boy kid said when she mentioned cancer.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:34 pm

If it's true and it ain't out in a year, it's fucking depressing.

Can you get that stuff in Mexico?
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:37 pm

can someone summarize that shit up there in about a sentence or 2? that's alot of words.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:38 pm

can someone summarize that shit up

Prospectus from an "herbal supplement" company.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:40 pm

I didn't believe it at first, but it's true. But they have no idea whether it will work on humans.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:42 pm

From the Univ. of Alberta website:

What is DCA and how does it work?

DCA is a drug that "boosts" the function of mitochondria. Mitochondria are the energy-producing units within cells and they regulate the energy production in the body (i.e. the metabolism). Cancer somehow suppresses the function of mitochondria and by achieving this it gains "eternal life". We believe that cancer cells die when the mitochondria are "normalized" or boosted by DCA. Because these effects in mitochondria occur only in cancer and not normal cells, we believe that DCA will not have the significant side effects (hair loss, nausea, heart failure etc) that many standard chemotherapies have.

Can my doctor order DCA?

Your doctor cannot prescribe DCA since it is currently not approved for use in patients with cancer. DCA is not available in pharmacies. The only way that DCA will become available for use in patients with cancer is under appropriately performed clinical trials and supervision by appropriate regulatory agencies like Health Canada or the Food and Drug Administration in the USA.

Can I find and use DCA on my own?

Absolutely not! This can actually be dangerous. For example, DCA can be found in stores selling chemicals to scientific laboratories. Often, DCA is sold in a form that is very acidic and if consumed could cause serious or catastrophic complications. Even for use in animals DCA often has to be processed with chemicals to correct its acidity etc. In addition, the dose in patients with cancer, or its interactions with other medications that cancer patients might be on, are completely unknown.

Often, patients with terminal cancer might feel they are in a desperate situation and might be "willing to try anything". It needs to be remembered that the inappropriate use of these drugs might cause catastrophic complications and make the situation even worse. In addition, if complications occur, because this was not done under the supervision of a physician, this problem will not become known and other patients might be exposed to a risk that could have been prevented.

Can DCA treat my cancer?

DCA was shown to have beneficial effects in lung and breast cancer as well as a form of brain cancer (glioblastoma). These effects occurred in human cancers growing in the test tube. In the case of lung cancer, tumors growing in rats decreased in size after the rats were given DCA. The effects on other kinds of tumors are completely unknown. However, because mitochondria appear to be suppressed in many different forms of cancer, we speculate that DCA will have beneficial effects in other types of cancer as well. Once again, in order to determine if DCA is effective (and safe) in patients with cancer, appropriately conducted clinical trials are absolutely required.

When will the clinical trials start?

In order to be absolutely certain that DCA is effective and safe in patients with cancer, studies involving thousands of patients with different cancers, from different hospitals and different countries have to be conducted. Often, direct comparisons of one experimental treatment with other standard therapies are required. These large-scale trials will take years to complete and will require hundreds of millions of dollars.

However, smaller and more focused trials can occur much faster. The funding required for such trials is less (in the range of hundreds of thousands of dollars) and the procedures are easier than in drugs that have never before tried in any human being. Still, protocols of such trials need to be approved by local and federal agencies and funding secured

A number of physicians and scientists from the University of Alberta and the Alberta Cancer Board have already started working together and have received commitment from the leadership of these institutions to help make these trials happen as soon as possible. We hope that initiation of trials will occur shortly, i.e. within a few months. We plan to post our progress towards this goal on this website.

How can I help?

We appreciate your interest, and support and we have been touched by your kind words. We also understand the agony in many of you that you see your loved ones in desperate need of a treatment or a hope. We have been working on this for at least 2 years now and we will continue to work hard in order to determine whether this drug can actually benefit human beings with cancer. Your continued support of research in general is greatly appreciated by all of us in this field and it is important since a great deal of funding comes directly from the people (tax payer money coming to us through federal funding agencies like CIHR or charities). If you want to directly support this effort (that at this time receives no financial support from "for profit" organizations, pharmaceutical or private companies), you can do so in this web site.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:46 pm

"So,why haven't the media picked up on it yet?"

Curing Cancer isn't sexy. Until those DCA scientists gain custody of Anna Nicole's baby no one's gonna hear about it.

Which is really fucking sad.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:48 pm | Edited by: I am the Arm

ok.....so....someone has an herbal "cancer be-gone" vanishing tonic?
Yeah, and a giant watermelon ate my dog.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:51 pm

Yeah, and a giant watermelon ate my dog.

Holy shit!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:58 pm

pretty crazy huh?
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:02 pm

fukin eh
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:07 pm

insane to the propane
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:17 pm

im insane, got no brain
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:19 pm

pro-pain for propane
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:20 pm

To the one on the flam
Boy your temper just toss that ham
In the fryin' pan
Like spam
Feel done when I come in slam
Damn
I feel like the son of sam
Don't make me wreck shit hectic
Next to the chair got me goin' like General Electric
EEEN!
The lights are blinking
I'm thinking
It's all over when I go out drinking
Oh, makin' my mind slow,
That's why I don't fuck wit da big four-o
Bro', I got ta maintain
`Cause a nigger like me is goin' insane
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:28 pm

Do my shit undercover
Now it's time for the blubba
Blabba
To watch that belly get fatter
Fat boy on a diet
Don't try it
I'll jack your ass like a looter in a riot
Much too fat like a sumo slammin' that ass
Leavin' your face in the grass
You know
I don't take a dulo
Lightly
Punks just jealous `cause they can't outwrite me
So kick that style: wicked, wild
Happy face nigga never seen me smile
Rip that mainframe
I'll explain
A nigga like me is goin' insane
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 5:27 am

i'mm surprised tobacco companies aren't driving dumptrucks of money to these guys doorstep.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 7:21 pm

thats the same thing I was thinking. It would be great if a tobacco company cured cancer
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 2:07 am

The latest (from a Canadian paper):

Desperate cancer patients are self-medicating with a cheap compound that has yet to be tested in humans, despite dire warnings of potential toxic poisonings.

Cancer researchers at the University of Alberta, who used the chemical to shrink tumours in rats, say its safety for humans has yet to be proved.

But interest in dichloroacetate, or DCA, has skyrocketed since January, when the prominent academic journal Cancer Cell published a U of A doctor's findings that showed the compound - used only in lab animals - shrinks tumours without damaging healthy cells.

People latched onto the news since DCA, a common chemical compound, costs about $2 a pop and has already been shown in ongoing clinical trials to be safe to treat people for metabolic disorders or heart disease.

Drug companies have shown no interest in DCA because the compound is not patentable.

DCA is not available in pharmacies and has not been approved by Health Canada or the Food and Drug Administration in the United States. Yet an online report from Newsweek said, "If there were a magic bullet (for cancer), it might be something like dichloroacetate."

Now, hundreds of people are trying desperately to buy the

water-soluble powder from chemical suppliers, giving each other advice over the Internet on how to mix the ingredients themselves, how big doses should be or how to convince their doctors to come on board.

Dr. Evangelos Michelakis, the cardiologist whose academic paper sparked the worldwide fervour, said people shouldn't take DCA until clinical trials prove it is safe on humans and actually shrinks tumours as it did in rats.

In clinical trials to see how DCA works in metabolic disorders, children took the drug and showed no signs of toxic poisoning. But when similar trials were done on adults, most had to discontinue using it, since they developed severe peripheral neuropathy, Michelakis said.

The damage to the peripheral nerves caused imbalance and finger numbness. Michelakis said if people take DCA along with other cancer treatments, the consequences could be lethal.

Even for those who say they have only six months to live and nothing to lose, Michelakis said it's not worth it. "You can die earlier and in much worse shape," he said.

Jim Tassano, a biologist in Sonora, Calif., and a University of California chemist have begun making DCA and selling it over the Internet. "Are there side effects?" Tassano said. "Absolutely, but compare that to radiation."

- - -

What is dichloroacetate, and what does it do?

DCA is an acetate molecule with two chlorine molecules attached.

Right now, it is available in chemical supply stores for research purposes only. Many years ago, it was developed in a treatment for diabetes, but since it wasn't patentable, the research ended.

Clinical trials are going on in Edmonton for its use in heart disease. When someone has a heart attack or is undergoing cardiac surgery, researchers have shown DCA can increase the metabolism of carbohydrates in the heart, preventing the buildup of lactate and acid in the mitochondria.

Clinical trials are also happening in the United States on DCA's affect on metabolic disorders some children are born with. DCA has been shown to promote the metabolism so that too much acid doesn't build up in and kill muscles.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 2:12 am

There is of course a website

"What does a man feel like after he loses sexual function when a doctor cuts the nerve near his prostate gland? How does a women feel after having her breasts removed? "
Anyone feel like sharing their feelings?
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 2:12 am

What does a man feel like after he loses sexual function when a doctor cuts the nerve near his prostate gland? - soft

How does a women feel after having her breasts removed? - kinda flat, and not as soft.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 2:13 am

A Lexis-Nexis search through the full text of the following American papers (going back to January 1st) for either "dichloroacetate" OR "DCA" turns up NO hits. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Atlanta Journal and Constitution, Baltimore Sun, Boston Globe, Buffalo News, Chicago Sun-Times, Christian Science Monitor, Columbus Dispatch, Daily News (New York), Denver Post, Hartford Courant, Houston Chronicle, Los Angeles Times, Miami Herald, New York Times, Omaha World Herald, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Plain Dealer, San Diego Union-Tribune, San Francisco Chronicle, Seattle Times, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, St. Petersburg Times, Star Tribune (Minneapolis MN), Tampa Tribune, Times-Picayune, USA Today, Washington Post

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but it does make you wonder. What, they didn't think people would be interested?
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 2:35 am

A Google News search doesn't do much better.
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 6:51 am

Article Preview
New drug to fight cancer may get the cold shoulder

CHICAGO TRIBUNE - Feb. 27, 2007

A new treatment for cancer could cost as little as $2 a dose and be as easy to administer as taking a pill or getting a shot. But scientists fear that their struggles to find financing for further research could keep the treatment from ever reaching the public.

In January, scientists working at the University of Alberta discovered that dichloroacetate, or DCA, a drug long used to treat rare metabolic diseases, seemed to halt the spread of cancer.

The discovery has been met with cautious optimism by the medical community and with excitement among cancer patients eager to participate ...

To continue reading the complete article, login or register
below and get free instant access.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®