Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / i hate reggae
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:11 pm

i really fucking do. and i love ganga! go figure.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 12:52 am

Note to self.
When jenna finally gives me a hug, play reggae in the background.
Songs from the kinks make her fall over.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 12:59 am

I hate most reggae too....it's ok...Bob marley is horrible...you hear the same marley songs over and over. I know there's a bunch I haven't heard but, It all starts sounding the same to me, which sounds pretty shallow.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 1:31 am

Why listen to reggae when you can listen to dub?
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 1:33 am

The question of the ages, folks.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 1:35 am

dub is worse in my opinion.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 1:42 am

i like dub.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 1:46 am

that makes sense...beause your gay.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 1:49 am

that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say.

Bob Marley has tons of amazing songs.

There's a shitload of scorching reggae out there. If you don't like it you just ain't funky. Alot of ska is so heavy if you can't dance to it your basically dead.
Same with rocksteady.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 1:50 am

Those later Marley albums are an abomination but the Studio One shit from the 60's sounds as great as anything from Motown. I also like Lee Perry.

Ok, I guess I'm a fag.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 1:51 am | Edited by: Mattt

ganga
So that's how you spell it! A while back I was looking up lyrics to rap/hip hop songs trying to figure it out. Trouble is I don't know many songs of that sort and didn't know where to look. Is that correct? I was thinking of it having a silent J in there somewhere???
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 1:51 am

FAG!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 1:52 am

I love love love love love pot. I hate hate hate hate reggae and dub what ever the fuck that is.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 1:58 am

ganga
not ganja?

And there is pleanty of good reggae. The best is that Toots cover of Country Roads. You ladies would love that, I'm sure! (not. (to the second sentiment not the first.))
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:00 am

Toots cover of Country Roads. You ladies would love that

I am willing to admit I haven't listened to a whole lotta reggae...
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:10 am

i will admit that when i managed the soccer team back in 10th grade (mmmm, soccer boys), i did dig me some jimmy clff on cassette. but since then--never.

one of the funniest things to me from this board was years back when someone admitted to being bitten by the ska bug. i don't know why, but that had me howling.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:12 am

Pretty sure I hate you people.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:13 am

http://www.amazon.com/One-Love-At-Studio/dp/B00000042C/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3 /103-1539087-3643023?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1173921141&sr=1-3

This is about where it ends for me. I wish I could slag on this but it's pretty fucking great. All those Island albums, especially after Tosh and Bunny left are indescribably horrible.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:14 am

i love reggae, but i could see how people wouldn't. it's like being tapped into a caribbean island mood, which to me is a great. i don't like cold sounding music, like no wave or angular rock for about the same reasons.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:16 am

i don't like cold sounding music, like no wave or angular rock for about the same reasons.

I love that answer.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:22 am

All those Island albums, especially after Tosh and Bunny left are indescribably horrible.

Rastaman Vibration? Amazing record.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:24 am

Talkin' Blues (Live at KSAN '73) is fantastic.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:28 am

that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say.

Listen, flapadoodle, I didn't say I didn't like reggae. I like some, I like some more rocksteady. I like a hell of a lot more dub. Are you really so funky fresh, BJ? You're not the arbiter of what is or is not funky and/or fresh in this world. I know this is hard for you to hear.

dub what ever the fuck that is.

I'll let Joe explain the 'studio-as-instrument' aesthetic.

And it's ganJa. OK?

p.s. The smoking or non-smoking of pot has nothing to do with liking/not-liking reggae and/or "black" music and/or being a "hippie."
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:28 am

And if you don't think this is good you're a complete fag.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:29 am

Marley's one of those people that's so overplayed it gets hard to tell whether you're reacting to the music or to the overexposure and annoying audience.

The Lee Perry-produced stuff - just before he signed to Island - is outstanding.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:30 am

You're not the arbiter of what is or is not funky and/or fresh in this world.

AS IF!!!

I didn't say I didn't like reggae.

Yeah, I got you. Crazy Jenna just put me n a bad mood. Again.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:31 am

If I am not from Jamaica, why do I wear this hat?

Lordavmercy.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:33 am

Skippy snak bar commercial rules! That's a very poor rep of Reggae tho, dooder...I like some but, I'm not gonna say I 'm a Reggae fan.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:36 am

"Where at in jamaica?"

"right neer da beech, boyyyy!"
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:37 am

It all starts sounding the same to me, which sounds pretty shallow

I realized years ago that this is true of all my favorite kinds of music: ska (Jamaican only)/reggae/rocksteady, blues, R&B, punk rock, 60s garage, country, jazz, Latin - all of it sounds the same.

I knew this woman in NOLA who couldn't understand how I could know I would hate Three Doors Down without ever listening to them. I would always put on WEVL at her place until she asked me one day to turn it off because it all sounded the same. I was flabbergasted. To me, it was incredible variety (that day of WEVL programming had almost every style I listed above). But to her, it all sounded like a bunch of old, primitively-produced, unfamiliar crap. Oh well. Two different worlds, I guess...
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:38 am

I meant WWOZ. But it could as easily have been WEVL.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:38 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Had to be the other. WEVL is Memphis.
But I hear what you're saying.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:44 am | Edited by: Seamus

Rastaman Vibration? Amazing record.

I just think it pales in comparison to that Studio One stuff, but what I think only really matters to me. I also have in the past enjoyed the Ethiopians, early Burning Spear and certainly the Skatalites, who blew me away live.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:48 am

I just think it pales in comparison to that Studio One stuff,

It's really different. RV is pure 70's reggae. The Studio One stuff is Studio One stuff. I like it all. I dig the shit outta some dreadlock rasta.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:51 am

If anyone uses soulseek or knows of some place to get mp3's I'm recommending an all time classic. Hopefully anyone who demands absolute top quality will get off on Jacob Miller "Baby I Love You So" and it's flipside "King Tubby Meets The Rockers Uptown." It's THE quintessential reggae single.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:06 am

hey, bazooka joe, if i start a thread, feel free to ignore it. i'm not looking for your feedback anymore.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:08 am

FIGHT! FIGHT!!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:15 am

i dig me some lee perry. early wailers isn't annoying yet.
not to mention desmond dekker.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:44 am

hey, bazooka joe, if i start a thread, feel free to ignore it. i'm not looking for your feedback anymore.

i don't believe you.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:06 am

had me howling
you just lost spliff points in my book dearie
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:07 am

First it was the Clash now it's Reggae.
Good Grief.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:15 am

I just got this one the other day, after hearing BJ make a recommendation to PDX Joe about some Trojan comp. Found it in the bins for $4 and very much likey. Course, I'll actually cop to being in a ska band, you know, back in the early nineties. Beats ever admitting liking the Grateful Dead...
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:38 am

I love reggae, but I could go the rest of my life without hearing BM's "Legend" or "Exodus" albums.

Hudson Affair and Dry Acid are a couple of favorites.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:45 am

Back in highschool ('83-'86), I listened to Creation Rebel's "Threat To Creation" and "LKJ in Dub" constantly.

I smoked a lot of weed back then.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:55 am

and dub what ever the fuck that is.
its something you hate without even knowing what it is. maybe there is hope for you after all...
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:04 am

Crazy Jenna reaffirms her title of craziness for ragging on reggae.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:08 am

Jerry A?
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:33 am

Man. FUCK.

I wish I didn't read this thread, but how could I not with the subject?

First of all, most of the reggae you're probably familiar with (if you have only a passing interest in it) is watered down and not a good represenatative of what it is all about. I\'m not being elitist, because I used to have the same opinion as you.

everything Marley/Tosh/Mighty Diamonds/etc. did with Island records are ENGLISH ROCK MUSICIANS. Not reggae guys.

Reggae is not an LP medium. Jamaicans didn't buy LP's, they bought 45\'s and 12\"s. So right there, you\'re futher alienated from the good stuff, since a lot of LP\'s are just thrown together from singles and not cohesive.

The first great Jamaican stand-alone LP is Bob Andy's "Song Book\" and it\'s great. I played it recently for a friend who\'s pretty much only into Big Star/Stones type stuff and he fucking loved it. That was from 1972, and that\'s when shit only starts to get cooking with Jamaican music.

another huge drawback of reggae is it\'s popular audience. It\'s not hippy music. That throws a lot of people off. \"Kill All Racists\" by Yabby You and Scientist is not a hippy song.

Anyway, you\'re all free to your opinion and I don\'t expect everyone to like reggae, but you need to hear the better stuff before you pass judgement.

There are some AMAZING reggae/dub LP\'s, here\'s just a few:

Congos \"Heart of the Congos\"
Culture \"Two Sevens Clash\"
Scientist \"Scientific Dub\"
Mad Professor \"Dub Me Crazy\" Vol. 1
Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus \"Love Thy Neighbor\"
Anything Burning Spear or Mighty Diamonds did IN JAMAICA (not the UK) from \'73 or son to \'76.

Prince Far I\'s \"Cry Tuff Dub Encounter Vol 2\" is fucking insane and just as weirdly art-punk or psychedelic as anything by the Homosexuals.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:35 am

OH! and "King Tubby Meets The Rockers Uptown" is Augustus Pablo.

All the Pablo/Tubby productions are amazing. The LP of the same name (no credit as "Augustus Pablo" but he's the only one on the cover..) is also one of the greatest reggae/dub lp's ever.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:39 am | Edited by: mikesniper

I forgot to talk about how a lot of rock n' roll "types" don't like reggae because it's not guitar based. Guitar is the rhythm instrument for the most part. Peter Tosh was actually an excellent guitar player, with a lot of restraint. That's why the orignal Wailers were so amazing. It wasn't just Marley, but Tosh, Bunny and Lee Perry and the Upsetters as the backing band.

The post-Wailers Marley stuff is not my cup of tea. It's not terrible, but it's just something else.

Here's some killer footage of the ORIGINAL Wailers, with Peter Tosh. This is the original band, before the female back-ups and all the english musicians:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JE3WaSETf8k
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:49 am

Culture recording for "Two Sevens Clash" live in the studio (no overdubs) in '76 with Joe Gibbs and the Professionals. I love YouTube.

Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:50 am

Scientist
Mad Professor
Prince Far I
King Tubby
Augustus Pablo

all these are great. also lee scratch perry and the trojan set. i also had a healthy distrust and hatred for what i didnt know, but earlier this year i decided to roll some fatties and let jah guide me, and i think im a better person for it. even recorded my own dub song.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:01 am

Fuck, more 70's Culture/Professionals footage.

I guess there was a French documentary on the recording?!??!?

i wanna se this shit!

Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:17 am

On the other end of the spectrum, a live dub mix by Jah Shaka (Heir Ick, watch this...)

Ok, I'll stop.

I'm gonna go listen to some of this shit.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:18 am

im listening to my shangri las red bird singles
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:24 am

Congos \"Heart of the Congos\"
am i stupid or did they release a big like discography thing a year or so ago?
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:26 am

Garvey's Ghost is one hell of a record.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:30 am

Congos "Heart of the Congos" has been reissued tons of times. Lee Perry produced it and Virgin wanted to put it out, then for some weird reason Lee and the Congos flipped out and they put it out in limited quanities on Lee's Blark Ark label with hand-painted sleeves.

Then a couple years later, Black Ark did another press. I have one of those.
Supposedly they sound better than the originals, which were made on super-shitty vinyl.

In the past couple years, Blood and Fire did a 2-LP/expanded CD of it with new (bad) artwork but better fidelity. That's OOP now.

since the record regained popularity, it's been bootlegged in Jamaica for vinyl, and that boot actually sounds purty good! You can get it at Ernie B's online shop for like 10 bucks. It's totally worth it. One of the best vocal reggae LP's ever. top 3, easily.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:31 am

not an expert on reggae and rocksteady. some of the stuff i do know, i really dig though, like some of the x% dynamite comps... early ska is great. same goes for calypso. don't know much except for a mix tape a friend gave me and one of the trojan 3 cd comps (which is fucking great). any more calypso stuff to check out? prefarably comps, probably would be to lazy to search for 45s...
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:32 am

im listening to my shangri las red bird singles

Shadow Morton is one of Lee Perry's idols!

I love me some Shangs, but how come no-one cares about Reparata and the Del-Rons? I think Reparata and the Delrons and the Chantels are my favorite girl-groups.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:38 am

any more calypso stuff to check out?

Any Calypso 10"s on Folkways! Those are fucking amazing!!

Plus a Folkways-type label did an LP in the 60's called "The Real Calypso" all of it from the 30s!!!

most of the good Calypso is from the 30's to the 50's and the best is from Trinidad, although Haiti and the Dominican had some goodies too. Bermuda stuff is for tourists.

In Jamaica it was called "Mento" but it's pretty much the same.

There were 2 great mento releases the past year or so "Mento Madness" all from the 40s and 50s and a compilation of Laurel Aitken productions. Aitken is one of the main guys responsible for Mento turning into Ska.

Ska/Rocksteady and Roots Reggae are pretty much 2 distinct types of music. Reggae is definately an outgrowth, but has a lot more African and Western influence, where Ska is more a combo of Calypso, New Orleans Jazz and Soul.

Dub is it's own animal.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:44 am

U-Roy is one of my faves. Great early DeeJaying over epic rocksteady sides.

Posted: Mar 15, 2007 7:01 am

yeah that blood and fire thing was what i was thinking of. one of my roomates let me borrow it but i dont think i got around to listening to more than a few songs.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 7:09 am

I'm just wondering how I go from watching U-roy to Orange Juice playing "Rip it Up" on Top of The Pops from 1983 within 15 minutes.

Fuck, I will never not appreciate YouTube ever. I love you YouTube.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 7:12 am

thanks for the tips mike, sounds rad.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:07 am

I'm still mad.

Jimmy Cliff?

Forget it..
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:10 am

what mike sniper said.
although when i was a teenager and fantasizing about the job i wanted to have when i grew up (Island Records), it was reggae that took me there.

linton kwesi johnson... love that guy. so worth checking out
justin hinds & the dominoes
other recommendations i would have made have been made already

working at island, i totally discovered to be true everything mikesniper said about the english musicians playing with reggae guys.

the reggae guys are so revered on the one hand over there... and then you have your chris blackwells who revere them but in the same breath exploit them and dilute the music they loved.

if you think buying/collecting records in the USA is something... just go to kingston jamaica. crazings
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:19 am | Edited by: mikesniper

You can't base all of reggae on Jimmy Cliff and (post-Wailers) Bob Marley. That's so unfair.

If that's the case, then I'll base all jazz on Wynton Marsalis.

Or "I hate the Blues because I hate Eric Clapton."
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:21 am

Beats ever admitting liking the Grateful Dead...

What, am I like the Rodney Dangerfield of the Goner Board now? Jeez!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:05 am

Still festering.

I think what I get mad about a lot is this idea that reggae/jamaican music in general is about relaxing and smoking weed. That's some pretty uninformed, biased crap. I don't take personal offense to it, but that attitude comes off pretty pedantic.

A lot of jamaican music from '72 to '82 is the weirdest, craziest, most psychedelic, spastic shit you could imagine.

Plus the lyrics are generally pretty fucking bleak.

Right now I'm thinking of the Augustus Pablo dub of Earl Zero's "Mr. Officer" and it's as scary and cold as anything by Joy Division.

It sucks because (supposedly) people that read this board are musically informed, and that's still the perception. I don't expect everyone to know all there is to reggae just through osmosis, but I like to think that people on this message board are at least open-minded and can at the very least respect an entire genre of music instead of relating to how it's weird that they like smoking weed but not reggae.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:08 am

that is weird.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:12 am

Wait, you're right. It's totally weird. I take it back.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:40 am

You can't base all of reggae on Jimmy Cliff and (post-Wailers) Bob Marley. That's so unfair.

i hope you weren't referring to me! sure, i caught the bug w/ "you can get it if you really want it" when i was 16, and went backwards and deeper from there.

it was strange working at island because of the marley thing and rita's overpowering presense all the time. i started working there about 6 months after he died. bob was god there in the same way "eric clapton is god" overpowered a part of the 60s. no thank you.

but damn if there wasn't a fantastic collection in the canteen (the company pub, in the basement, next door to the recording studio) and guys like don letts coming in for beers and spinning during tea time.

because i was american, my english co-workers AND all my punk rock friends took it upon themselves to teach me the reggae....and i don't even like ganja! but i lived in ladbroke grove, so there was no escaping it! the reggae and the ganja, that is.

my favorites remain linton kwesi johnson and justin hinds & the dominoes - both for completely different reasons.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:19 am

Earl Zero's "Mr. Officer
Zero was living on the west coast back in the early 8ts. Came up here with a pick up band from sf. still got a indie single from that grouping.
yeah, loved the dirge aspect, retreat from the corporate world, that thing frontline (pbs), a docu on the way the world bank guts the local grow your own industry to a balnd out global fast food fuck was a good reason why rastas want to live apart and subsist.

I remember an interview with Johnny Rotten and Claude Bessy is playing U-Roy's Tresure Isle rocksteady lp. They musta be tokin and Rotten says, "clean that needle mon, or is that record is too scratchy?"
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:25 am

Two different worlds
i was getting a blowjob in east van bc
i had Bo Diddley on the car system
but the whore was into butt rawk
and asked me to turn it off.

shall we say that remark deflated me
and I gave her a ride to what she said was her home
after I bought her a pack of cigs
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:27 am

U-Roy
yeah that hat and look is back in style
and fashion, I tell ya
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 11:34 am

Posted: Mar 15, 2007 11:55 am

been in my collection since 1980
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks Jenna, for starting a great thread on how great reggae is. Toots and the Maytals rule. Burning Spear. Like any music, there's crap and commercializers, but that doesn't take away from the good stuff.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 12:49 pm

mike sniper, thank you for listing all that stuff. i'll start educating myself. i do appreciate the direction.

the only reggae i've been exposed to is the "wynton marsalis" variety--and i cannot stand it. fucking hackysack, hippy, milkweed shit that has turned me off.

tet mentioned bad brains live in the 80s and how the second half of their set was reggae. that's EXACTLY what prompted me to start this thread: listening to bad brains, licking the blister, then having to sit through the reggae (which i know meant a lot to them).
jackpenetrater
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 1:48 pm

Talkin' about GREAT!....Reggae..Checkout "Rude Boys" ("SPIKE meets Reggae"), from the fantastic SPIKE LP (Still available from Rave Up)...or www.fredrecords.com. The LP also features "SHOPPING BAG" & a SMOKIN" new version of "Life Stinks" & is the only VINYL featuring the incredible "War Lord".
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 2:58 pm

I like reggae.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Mike Diaper and Jaun Koff, thanks for the clips. That old Grey Whistle Test footage has always been a favorite, but Diaper, I don't know what you have against the I Threes.

That Jah Shaka bass almost blew up my computer speakers!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:44 pm

Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:47 pm

I'd have thought that would be going for a bit more than $338.00.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:48 pm

I love Bad Brains reggae!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:49 pm

Leaving This Babylon is super dusted!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:55 pm

Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:08 pm

I LOVE reaggae.

Jimmy Cliff's the Harder they Come is in my all-time top 10.

The GOOD stuff sounds like Motown and Stax to me.

I also really like the early 60s ska and rock steady stuff.
And the Mighty Mighty Bosstones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:13 pm

i got this dvd at deadly dragon for $12 but it only plays in my computer:
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:15 pm

Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:37 pm

I swear, 9 times out of 10 when "music" people say they hate reggae, it's not because of the actual music, it's about the stereotype they have in their heads of white reggae fans. Is that all music is supposed to be about, defining which tribe you belong to?

Anyway, the later Bob Marley stuff that has been so overexposed isn't representative at all. I call that stuff "Jamacian Tourist Board reggae". I think the best thing for someone who thinks they hate reggae to listen to is one of the Toots and the Maytals compliations. If "Funky Kingston", "54-46 Was My Number", "Time Tough", or "Pressure Drop" can't penetrate your steely reserve, I don't know if there's hope for you.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:53 pm

I say I hate all kinda of things that I dont hate all the time. Mostly guilty of hating the blues, which I don't hate. But I do hate Eric Clapton. I also say I hate honey mustard, but I used it in dinner last night. I wasn't wild about it being there, but it was a nice change nonetheless. As for reggae, you should try it. It might make you feel like you are doing something you shouldn't and in turn, you might like it and feel kinda kinky listening to it.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:54 pm

jah.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:55 pm

BIM!

BO! BO ! BO!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:09 pm | Edited by: Miss Faye

Reggae, dub, ska, rock steady, I like it all. Except that awful dancehall shit. I get stuck on this compilation, which is incredible. "Tonight" by Keith/3X is untouchable in its simple greatness.

And Toots and the Maytals?!!!?? Hell yeah.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:15 pm

Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:24 pm

dancehall shit
Killamanjaro Ruuulez the dancehall. Rude!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:38 pm

I'll give it a listen. My mind can be changed.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:46 pm

The Trojan comp called "Funky Chicken" is a motherfucker. Serious early reggae (1970 specifically) dancefloor shit. Look at the titles:

1 Winston Groovey Funky Chicken
2 Dave Barker Funky Reggae
3 Freddie Notes & The Rudies Chicken Inn
4 Tommy McCook & Supersonics The The Rooster
5 Dice The Boss Funky Monkey
6 Rita Alston Popcorn Funky Reggae
7 Dice The Boss Funky Duck
8 Beverley All Stars The Monster
9 Dice The Boss Funky Monkey Part 2
10 Freddie Notes & The Rudies Down On The Farm
11 Count Suckle Chicken Scratch
12 Tommy McCook & Supersonics The Open Jaw

Cool and Crazy has one in the racks. I think it's $10.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:55 pm

Don't know if Toots and the Maytals are still any good but they're on US tour right now. Worth going?
Also there are some contemporary first wave ska influenced/reggae bands that are good. Hepcat ruled, Aggrolites aren't bad and the Slackers are probably one of my favorite recent bands overall. Especially the Question Album.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:31 pm

Hey Bazooka Joe and Sniper:

Could you guys post a little cheat sheet for those of us that don't know much but wanna know more?

Something like top 5 LPs in the following categories: reggae, ska, dub, dancehall and rocksteady (am I leaving any out?) Also, maybe like quintessential singles and stuff like that.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:44 pm

this IS your cheat sheet!

Just get those Trojan Story Vol. 1 & 2 (orange and green) boxes (should cost about $28 each for vinyl) and the Blood and Fire King Tubby Dub Gone Crazy vol 1 and Sniper loves that Congos LP alot. For ska get Intensified! vol 1 & 2 (thyese are available on cd) and that Ska Au Go-Go lp that's ALWAYS in print (kool orange cover with wild graphics)...pay no more than $10! any Island ska comps from around 1980 (it's all 60's stuff) and for rocksteady anything on Treasure Isle is the shit. Make sure whatever you get has "Ali Baba" by John Holt on it. You can actually get a repro of that single for about $6. Ther'es so much sick shit out therre.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:46 pm

Ska Au Go-Go lp that's ALWAYS in print (kool orange cover with wild graphics)...pay no more than $10!

I have that! I'm on my way!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:47 pm

It's fucking amazing, ain't it??? What about "Hey Senorita" and "Shame and Scandal?" GODDAMN!!!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:48 pm

if you think buying/collecting records in the USA is something... just go to kingston jamaica. crazings
Never been to Jamaica, but I love seeing those dodgy looking imports that show up in some of the shops here with sleeves that look like they're 5th generation copies with hand stamped shop addresses. You just get the feeling that they're pressing the vinyl themselves in a shed somewhere.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:49 pm

they are. you can find debris in the wax cuz they leave the pressing plant windows open!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 7:38 pm

For rocksteady, Duke Reid's Treasure Chest on Heartbeat rules from start to finish. I think they reissued it a few years later as two separate CDs.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 7:40 pm

Next week at Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz, it's the Abyssinians Tuesday night and the Skatalites on Wednesday. Going to SC on a weeknight is difficult for me...I think I'm gonna have to choose.

I'll probably go with the Skatalites.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 7:40 pm

After Toot's awful "comeback" record True Love came out a couple of years ago, I would be hesitant about seeing him live. But if the price was right, I'd probably go just to see if he still had that amazing voice.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 7:44 pm

I'll probably go with the Skatalites.
do they still start all their shows with the countdown?
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 7:46 pm

For rocksteady, Duke Reid's Treasure Chest on Heartbeat rules from start to finish.

total. there's also some weird budget label disc with very primitive dubs of alot of those songs with the cheapest sounding delay i've ever heard. haven't seen the disc in years., but it's a fave.

As far as Skatalites, Rolnad(o) Al(phonso) and the Soul Brothers is basically the same band. Same with anything you see credited to Don Drummond or Tommy McCook and the Supersonics.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 7:52 pm

horace andy early to mid 80's

it's bosstown and heavoid

get high
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 7:58 pm

Horace is great.

Two other all time favorite singers = Johnny Clark and Lynval Thompson. Lot's of great natty dread, lovers and militant shit from both singers.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:04 pm

Hey Theresa,

No I didn't mean you and I wasn't picking on Jenna either, it was more about the stigmata of reggae. I do love a a lot of Jimmy Cliff, everything he did up to '77 or so is great.

I'll let Joe handle recommendations for ska and rocksteady. From that era, any of the early Studio One comps are awesome. Ska-Au-Go-Go come to mind immediately. Some others: Early Prince Buster, 1st Wailers LP (Wailing Wailers) and pretty much any instros by the Skatalites or Sound Dimension. Justin Hinds and the Dominoes kinda took rocksteady into reggae.

When people think of reggae, they usually think of Roots reggae. This is all the dread stuff. If I had to recommebd only 4-5, I'd say:

Culture-Two Seven's Clash
Congos-Heart of the Congos
Burning Spear-Marcus Garvey
Israel Vibration-The Same Song
Mighty Diamonds-Right Time

Dub stuff:

Jah Shaka-Brimstone and Fire
Mackasound-Macka Dub
Joe Gibbs and the Professionals-African Dub Almighty #1,2,3
Scientist-Scientific Dub, or Rids the World of the Evil Vampires
Augustus Pablo-King Tubby Meets the Rockers Uptown

DJ stuff:

U-Roy-Dread Inna Babylon
Tapper Zukie-Man Ah Warrior
Big Youth-Screaming Target
Prince Far I-Under Heavy Manners
Dr. Alimantado-Best Dressed Chicken in Town

Dancehall: (early dancehall is very good, it only gets bad when it goes digital)
V/A-Haul and Pull Up Selecta (This an amazing 3LP set, with both sides of rare 12"ers run sequentially, so you get the vocal and dub back to back.)
Horace Andy-Dance Hall Style
Eek-A-Mouse-Who Da Dem
Michigan and Smiley-Step By Step
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:16 pm

DJ stuff:

U-Roy-Dread Inna Babylon
Tapper Zukie-Man Ah Warrior
Big Youth-Screaming Target
Prince Far I-Under Heavy Manners
Dr. Alimantado-Best Dressed Chicken in Town

No Dennis Alcapone? His hit "El Paso" is one of the greatest DJ tracks ever. It's uses the rhythm from Nora Dean's "Barbwire" which you can easily get on some Trojan comp.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:06 pm

do they still start all their shows with the countdown?

Probably. I'll let you know.

Lloyd Brevette finally retired, so they're down to three originals, Lloyd Knibb, Doreen Shaffer, and Lester Sterling. The cool thing is that they often replace original members with other Jamaican musicians who are a few years younger but sometimes pretty well-known names themselves. For example, in the past they've had Cedric Brooks on sax, and on this tour, Karl Bryan on sax and Vin Gordon ("Don Drummond, Jr.") on trombone.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:18 pm

Don Drummond murdered Margarita.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:19 pm

Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:32 pm

A lot of jazz guys had a ton or respect for Don Drummond, he was pretty widely accepted as one of the best trombonists in the world, regardless of whatever music was being played.

Man so many of these guys god murdered. Even big names like Peter Tosh and Prince Far I.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:36 pm

stigmata of reggae

is this when the blunts burn down too far and cause their hands to bleed?

sorry, I'm bored shitless at work.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:49 pm

Linval Thompson is one of my favorites! "Kung Fu Man" (actually, Lee Perry's "Fu Man Version"), "Everybody Need Money" and, of course, the immortal "I Love to Smoke Marijuana". He's at once direct, simple and barely coherent. Like the blues, I guess.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 11:09 pm

the only reggae i've been exposed to is the "wynton marsalis" variety--and i cannot stand it. fucking hackysack, hippy, milkweed shit that has turned me off.

baby, you need an exorcism!

and hey mikesniper - did i ever tell you just how much i LUV YA?
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 12:08 am

If you hate reggae, then please don't buy King Tubby's bass speaker enclosure!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320091605269&fromMa keTrack=true
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 12:15 am

crazy!
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 12:15 am

Would be great if we all knew Tubby's Theory of Sound & Reverberation, leading him to design this unique speaker box. Can you imagine the magnitude of force Tubby was anticipating, why he had a 3/8" thick steel speaker mount and how that mount relates to the prolongation of sound ?????
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 1:10 am

Augustus Pablo-King Tubby Meets the Rockers Uptown

YES!

(early dancehall is very good, it only gets bad when it goes digital)

I should have specified about my dislike for the later electronica-ish stuff. My bad.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 1:43 am

toots live is always an experience because he takes good care of his voice and sings like the Jamaican soul man that he is. The experience of seeing toots at least once in your life is truly amazing. he's done some fairly good stuff lately, but the primo stuff for him was definitely the 70's and 80's stuff on island. The new records don't necessarily represent where he's at on stage. definitely worth checking out if he's touring right now.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 3:02 am

I love "Presenting The Maytals" when's that from, like '67?

That King Tubby speaker box is an amazing artifact, I dunno what the practical use is. It's sad, because it belongs in a Jamaican museum, instead some crazy German dub freak is gonna buy it for his bar.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 3:04 am

Oh yeah, and Horace Andy is definately my favorite singer, maybe Joseph Hill, too. "Money is the Root of all Evil" was recorded at least ten different times by Andy, and all of them are fucking great! He did a version with Bullwackie on the "Dance Hall Style" record that is killer.

Bazooka Joe, bring the collie and we eat goat inna de yard. Respect.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 3:05 am

i hate niggers
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 3:06 am

oh, and I do love Dennis Alcapone, and Michael Prophet and about a million other DJ's I didn't mention!

Nowhere on those lists are Keith Hudson, Yabby You or Clive Chin, all huge faves. I don't even think I talked about all the Coxsone Dodd stuff. Just a testament to how much good shit there is.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 3:16 am

jenna hates niggers
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 3:51 am

I think Ken Boothe has a great voice too...
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 3:57 am

dammit sniper.... why did i not know you in 1995 when i had my big trip to jamaica
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 5:09 am

Hanging around changing the world,
Soon there'll be peace and it will be cool,
Then we can start all over again,
Then we can love the man who deals death,
I feel pissed, I feel ripped, I can't slowdown,
I Hate Reggae
Black and white unite and fight the right,
But not thru reggae,
Jah this Jah that, what the fuck?
Cant stand reggae,
ANd I wont dance at a disco,
Even if they play reggae,
I feel bad, my P.M.A's good
So good I want to burn down my neighborhood,
Dread locks and herb, nothing for us,
Religious backwash, another broken trust.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 6:53 am

I think Ken Boothe has a great voice too...

Yes, agreed. Did you guys find a place to stay yet?!?!?
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 7:38 am

Yeah - we're staying w/Jahna....
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 7:45 am | Edited by: mikesniper

Ok, cool, well please come over at some point. Maybe we'll make lasagne.
I hope I have tme to hang out with my friends during all this bullshit!
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 7:52 am

lasagna!!!!

<insert Garfield joke here>

damn - where's Norah when you need her?!?!?
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 8:12 am

Norah's at the bar making fun of you!
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:36 am

I think Ken Boothe has a great voice too.

Mr. Rocksteady.

Love me some Paragons, too.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:42 am | Edited by: Juan Kerr

Pretty sure they've never even heard of the Paragons.

Posted: Mar 16, 2007 10:03 am

fave ja singers???

Delroy Wilson (spans the decades but "Try To Conquer Me").
Sugar Minott (that "Live Loving" lp on Studio One slays).
Dennis Brown ("Money In My Pocket")
Gregory Isaacs ("Slave Driver").
Johnny Clarke (got that one on Art & Craft? "Don't Wanna Be a Rude Boy"?)
Linval Thompson
Anton Ellis
Don Carlos & Gold
Barrington Levy ("Bounty Hunter")
Tony Tuff
Rod Taylor
Michael Prophet
Posted: Mar 18, 2007 5:53 pm

I would like to submit Junior Murvin's 'Police and Thieves' lp for the consideration of the panel.
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 3:43 am | Edited by: jbh

"king tubby meets rockers uptown" is a classic dub lp (and single b-side) of jacob miller's "Who Say Jah No Dread" lp. both totally worth checking out.

reggae's producers were as integral a part of the music as the singers and musicians were. in my opinion, it's brightest stars. check out anything produced between '72 and '78 by

king tubby
scientist (tubby's protege)
lee perry (or earlier than '72) - black ark
joe gibbs
coxsone dodd (or earlier than '72) - studio one
prince jammy
harry j
ernest hoo kim - channel one
vivian jackson (yabby you)
jah lloyd (also known as jah lion)
bunny lee
jack ruby

some great vocalists: (other than some named earlier in this thread)
little roy
the gladiators (albert griffiths)
the abbyssinians ( satta masagana - most classic horn part in any reggae song)
bim sherman
yabby you
johnny clarke (johnny in the echo chamber - another dub classic)
glen brown

some great toasters:
i-roy
u-roy
dillinger
trinity
big youth
dillinger
trinty
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 3:49 am

Harry Belafonte (Beetlejuice soundtrack)!
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 3:53 am

i mentioned Johnny Clark! Johnny In The Echo Chamber is one of the best collections ever. AGGROVAORS/ TUBBY!!! Rough... tough... y'know?

I actually listened to Johnny Clarke's full vocal "Cold I Up" today.

some great toasters:

You're a toaster. I WIN!!! Just brought it back to de roooots...

How about Keuth Husdon? He' actually been mentioned on this board before. You can get very nice Trojan reish of the Satan Side 45. One of the most psychedelic JA monsters ever. I listen to Dillinger regularly also. Big Youth never did much for me. Nother great vocalist is Michael Rose. His "Born Free" is one of the toughest roots tracks EVER. Tubbys has a version of it on "Dub Gone Crazy." that organ is deep.
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 3:53 am

I forgot to talk about how a lot of rock n' roll "types" don't like reggae because it's not guitar based. Guitar is the rhythm instrument for the most part.

Another great reggae guitar player is Ernest Ranglin, who I believe was one of the Studio One house musicians. His solo stuff lately is really nice too. One recent album had Tony Allen (Fela Kuti's music director) on drums and Courtney Pine (big UK 90s jazz guy) on sax.
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 4:12 am

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread. What I want to know is, what King Tubby should I get if I'm a total newby to dub? What's the best stuff of his?
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 4:14 am

<insert Garfield joke here>

Norah is watching the Cosby show* at her in-laws house in New Mexico, but ironically enough she is going to the Chuck Jones gallery tomorrow which apparently has tons of Jim Davis/Garfield stuff.

*Its the episode with the Gordon Gartrell shirt which will be my costume next halloween, by the by.
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 4:16 am

How about Keuth Husdon?

how bout him?
"studio kinda cloudy" and the even harder to find "brand" are both awesome keith hudson albums.

ernest ranglin truly is a great. he's from an older school than his mid-70's heyday contemporaries who had more rock influence in their playing than he did. earl "china" smith (or chinna,chino) is a great example of one of these. he's probably my favorite from that era. doogie man,reggie carter both greats.
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 7:17 am

Ever since this thread started I've listening to a lot more dub, a lot more Lee Perry and Augustus Pablo.

Thanks!
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 7:49 am

haha, inspired me to listen to some more calypso, ska and reggae as well!
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 7:52 am

the often "poetic" lyrics in calypso and early ska songs are another plus...
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 8:09 am

I hate reggae was a poison idea song off Pick your King........and that was some fuckin' hate, let me tell you......
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 8:36 am

What's the best stuff of his?
most of the stuff out der is pre roots radixs - pre digital jammies
this lps stands the test of a good bush weed brownie
"Augustus Pablo Meets King Tubby Uptown"
Posted: Mar 20, 2007 9:06 am

"Augustus Pablo Meets King Tubby Uptown"

YES!!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 6:38 am

Augustus Pablo's "East of the River Nile" is also eggcellent dub
and for King Tubby I'd say King Tubby Meets The Upsetter At The Grass Roots Of Dub is my favorite album

and Scientist's "Heavyweight Dub Champion" rounds out my holy trinity of dub albums
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 6:51 am

Trojan via Sanctuary has the original "Blackboard Jungle Dub" out on wax, the same mix Perry hand carried from ja to london when he brought a box over for sale to soundsystems. The one with the goofy cover on Clocktower or Brad's is a muffle boot. You should be able to find lots of dub at Ernie B's reggae on line. He deals with people as well as stores, prices are real low and he always comes through, takes paypal etc.
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 5:05 pm

YA gotta hear Mackasound "Mack Dub" and Israel Tafari "Same Song Dub"

Ayayayay..
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 5:07 pm

Oh yeah, ebreggae rules.

http://www.ebreggae.com

They have a "loose" policy with whom to wholesale to, just make sure you spend some dough.....
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 5:11 pm

Here's the Augustus Pablo record ("...Meets Rockers Uptown it's in there):

http://www.ebreggae.com/home.asp?X3QT=ESSLP&TTID=64166187

And the Congos record (it's in there, "Heart of the Congos"):

http://www.ebreggae.com/Home.asp?FFID=60949539&X3CQ2=none&X3LE=&X3AID= &X3AAN=&X3QT=NewSearch&X3SO=&X3A=congos&X3F=ALL&X3R=ALL&X3RY=ALL&X3L=A LL&submit1=GO&X3TA=a&X3AZ=1&X3LR=a&X3TL=a&X3LEL3=&X3AIDL3=&X3AANL3=&X3 QTL3=ESSLP&X3AL3=&X3FL3=&X3RL3=&X3RYL3=&X3LL3=&X3LRL3=&X3SR=1&X3P=1&X3 PQ=&X3CARTCQ=no&ChkSFTxt=

There ya go, arguably the best dub LP and roots LP of all time.
If you don't like those, you won't like anything in their genres.
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 4:29 pm

go here for a couple of killer reggae mixes.
Posted: Jul 9, 2011 4:55 pm

all five parts are on the 'tube. e-fucking-ssential viewing:

all british. so tough.

ONE LOVE!
Posted: Jul 9, 2011 5:00 pm

two-time post botty bwoy dem! tree time fiya!

treeeeees, ras...
Posted: Jul 9, 2011 6:37 pm

Ire, mon.
Posted: Jul 9, 2011 10:15 pm

I hate reggae was a poison idea song off Pick your King........and that was some fuckin' hate, let me tell you......

Them that likes reggae-

Posted: Jul 9, 2011 10:49 pm

Surprised no one on this thread ever mentioned Jackie Mittoo. Early studio one has more in common with Motown & Stax than with what today's hippie trash listens to.
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 6:23 am

Surprised no one on this thread ever mentioned Jackie Mittoo.

in spite of his sides as a leader i've always considered him to mainly be a session guy, but of course he's a legend.

i like that the documentary i posted is pre-adrian sherwood/ on-u sound, but i'm surprised prince far i isn't in it.
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 6:33 pm

oh man, even tet68 piped in on this thread.
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 1:42 am

you colt the game.....
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 1:57 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

oh man, even tet68 piped in on this thread.

Dude had a pretty killer stack of reggae records!

I love this cut: (some late 70s Dominican action by Belles Combo)

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 4:45 pm

I ignored dub for years, wondering how different could it possibly be from reggae. I like it the same way I like mind-bending space rock. I think they both hit the same part of the amygdala.
Posted: Jul 15, 2011 1:55 pm

I read somewhere that King Tubby would hang speakers in the trees at his outdoor sound system dances. Then he would use some crazy effect so the sound would bounce from one tree to the next.

Out of your mind on Red Stripe and ganja...must have been amazing.
Posted: Jul 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Out of your mind on Red Stripe and ganja

OVERPROOF RUM, RAS.
Posted: Jul 19, 2011 1:28 pm

the sound would bounce from one tree to the next.

Kinda like Nick Nolte in "Who Will Stop the Rain"?

Went on Alton Ellis binge recently. Feelin' irie, roots controller
Posted: Jul 19, 2011 9:31 pm

a copy of steel pulse's earth crisis lp walked into my store today. haven't listened to it
Posted: Jul 20, 2011 2:08 am

Ray gAy is eAsy to hate . It's wanna be philosophic, but in reality, it's soporific. fucking boring and gay.
Z
Posted: Jul 20, 2011 2:12 am

The soporific/ philosphic joke was straight up taken from Thee Marquis De Sade even though creeps aren't allowed on the goner board anymore/
Posted: Jul 20, 2011 2:25 am

I'm cumming I hope you're cumming too. I'm cumming I hope you don't mind cumming along side of you.

Shitty and boring music. Only thing I disagree with Johnny Rotten.
Posted: Jul 20, 2011 8:55 am

I read somewhere that King Tubby would hang speakers in the trees at his outdoor sound system dances. Then he would use some crazy effect so the sound would bounce from one tree to the next.

Flanger in stereo or rotovibe or something...Allot of head bands did this like Zeppelin and Cherry Valence....Listen to Whole Lotta Love w/ headphones, but that was all done with panning in the studio but similar effect.
Posted: Jul 21, 2011 4:30 am

Ladies and gents, I give you David Rodigan -

Posted: Jul 21, 2011 8:44 am

we've had that bloke here already (in other threads), but...YEAH!
Posted: Jul 22, 2011 2:11 pm

I love this cut: (some late 70s Dominican action by Belles Combo)

Thank you. I'm usually more into rocksteady and ska (ala Jackie Mittoo stuff), but this is the best reggae track I've heard in ages.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®