Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Hip/Cool bands you should like, but just don't...
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 8:58 pm

The Who, the Sweet, Thin Lizzy, Elvis Costello, Black Sabbath, the Clash, the Beatles, the Dictators? I dunno, thats like a greatest hits list for me.

I don't get tape loop noise art shit but I can't be that radio pop addicted can i?
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 8:59 pm

rhetorical question
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 9:01 pm

Did
i
say
black
lips?

Not the worst band by far, but man was I perplexed at how crazy everyone was going over them a few years ago in PDX. It was sort of embarrassing, not for the Black Lips; for the audience.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 9:11 pm

I dont get the Black Lips at all...I didnt like 'em much then i heard the Hannibal stuff and that was the capper for me...they're awful.

Detroit Cobras...the musical equivalent of watching bad modern remakes of classic movies...maybe they should have done the soundtrack for the new Hairspray...they are match made in heaven...
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 9:38 pm

I didn't like the Black Lips that much at the beginning, and then I realized I was wrong. Same with Sparks, Capt Beefheart, Television, and a buncha others. The Clash, Elvis Costello and the Beatles are easy intro music that I've heard a million times and know I don't care for and never will. Agree on the Dictators, I like 'em but don't understand the slobber. Detroit Cobras are just a bar band (but they do pick great songs to cover). Pixies are boring.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 10:10 pm

I would say Television is an intro band as much as any other. I guess I just don't dismiss a band as sucking because I get tired of them. I never listen to the Clash anymore but I can't say they suck. They were fake and lame and blah blah but so were the Supremes. And Elvis Costello was label mates with pretty much everything he could be introducing you to so I guess if you heard Nick Lowe first he would introduce you to Costello.
Pixies can burn in hell and the Detroit Cobras bore me to death. Black Lips just made me want to burn every garage record I have and shave my head. Nice guys though. Oh and DFFD.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 10:18 pm

The Beatles.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 10:21 pm

Damn Beatle haters. You hate JFK too? I know they are the coolest band ever to hate and I have gotten in way to many arguments about all of the bands that are "better" than the Beatles but really? I guess we all just need to agree on what band sucks the least and listen to them and only them. And it turns out it's the Them.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 10:26 pm

Detroit Cobras...the musical equivalent of watching bad modern remakes of classic movies...maybe they should have done the soundtrack for the new Hairspray...they are match made in heaven...

Oooh yeah, agreed here. I "don't get" the Detroit Cobras way more than the Black Lips, actually. I have been wrong before on many accounts, but I think the Black Lips are simply overrated and I can't see myself ever really getting into them. The Detroit Cobras are an embarrassment.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 10:33 pm

I was introduced to Television through "Adventure," unfortunately, an album I still don't like. Marquee came later, through other people playing it. I didn't think I'd dig it, but I ended up loving it. I guess the "punk" tag to a young punk fan (me) soured me - it's a pretty trad rock 'n roll thing that fits in better with pre-punk stuff than punk stuff...whatever.

Black Lips >>>>>> The Clash
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 10:33 pm

Pixies are boring.

I'll always love the Pixies, but I went to a few of the shows when they reunited a couple years ago and BORING is right - holy hell!! it was such a disappoinment! and I had seen Frank Black a couple years before that even and that was tons of fun, so I didn't get it - but whatever.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 11:22 pm

Yeah adventure sucked. I think I defend the Clash because I hated them for so long but then realized it was good stuff. Better than the other crap that was as popular when their two listenable albums came out. The Black Lips were hyped to me so hard for so long there was no way they could live up to it. It's like "oh, they are doing the same shit everyone has been doing for 10 (or 50) years, but they're H-O-T!". Just like when Krispy Kreme hit Portland. This is the most fantastic doughnut ever? tastes like a doughnut to me. Okay they're good, but not that good (the doughnuts, not the Lips).
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 12:56 am

I'll always love the Pixies,

Me too--I never would go see them after that time I saw them in ATL at Club Rio in '88 though...it was really a good show. But you could tell they already hated each other. I never listened to anything of theirs past that LP really for many a year, but they were a lot of fun for that brief period of time back in ye olden days.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 1:11 am | Edited by: satchmykels

most of the rip-off records catalog. p-u
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 2:48 am

Chuck Berry. What the fuck did he ever do?

my dingaling...
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 2:52 am

Chuck Berry. What the fuck did he ever do?

I really hope you're joking.

most of the rip-off records catalog.

be more specific - either way
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 3:53 am

most of the rip-off records catalog.

be more specific - either way

okay, make it the entire rip off records catalog...

i know there were a few in there i thought were alright, but i'd rather torch the whole batch than bother trying to remember which.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 4:12 am

Yeah Marked Men, Tyrades, Kill-A-Watts, Lids, not much worth having, at least they had those ultra-cool one sided singles.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 4:59 am

i know there were a few in there i thought were alright, but i'd rather torch the whole batch than bother trying to remember which.

So..........you won't bother to remember: Chronics, Problematics, Infections, Motards, Registrators, Teengenerate, or the Rip Offs themselves? Maybe (obviously) you did not live on the West coast in the early 90's, but what the fuck were you listening to? I'd be the last one to fan the Lowry ego flame, but this is beyond illogical to me.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 5:29 am | Edited by: Mullett

That's pretty funny. I can't blame anyone for that, even if there were a few scorchers in there. Hatin' is easier & fun.

I remember liking the Problematics record I had. I never got into American Soul Spiders or Teengenerate, though. I saw one of Teengenerate's 1st US shows in LA. I think they played with The Muffs & The Fells. It was the mid-90s & at The Casbah in San Diego.

There are a couple of bands presently that I would probably like the music if I listened to it, but said bands have pulled stunts that qualify them as "assholes" so I don't give a rat's ass how good the songs are. Piss on 'em.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 6:05 am

Teengenerate's 1st US shows in LA. I think they played with The Muffs & The Fells. It was the mid-90s & at The Casbah in San Diego.

hmm i think that would have been action family and mike stax band
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 6:39 am

I really hope you're joking.

my dingaling?

that was his hit records, right?

he b l o w s.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 7:29 am

hmm i think that would have been action family and mike stax band

Wow, is that who I saw Teengenerate with? Are you sure it was Mike Stax band? I think it was Earl's Family Bombers, now that you mention it.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 10:05 am

Yer a fuckin' idiot if you don't like Chuck Berry.
Burn all of yer rock-n-roll albums now.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 11:05 am

can't I just burn ALL of my records

I'm tired of lugging them around everytime I move and want to cause a disturbance in my neighborhood
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 1:11 pm

Yer a fuckin' idiot if you don't like Chuck Berry.

Yes.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 1:41 pm

when did this place turn into MENSA?
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 2:14 pm

Teengenerate
The Motards
The Registrators
Loli & The Chones
The Problematics
The Infections
The Brides
The Reds
Tyrades
Teenage Rejects
Supercharger
The Lids

All these bands are better than the Clash. Not necessarily Chuck Berry, though. And the Black Lips don't just do what's been done before, that's why they're so great.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 3:13 pm

Earl's Family Bombers, now that you mention it.

ah yeah, they were on that as well, can't remember the name of stax's band at the time, maybe the loons(?)
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 6:57 pm

The Reds were the finest punk band of the last 20 years..if ya hate the Reds ya hate punk rock
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 7:16 pm

My Dingaling is easily the worst Chuck Berry song; too bad it's one of his biggest hits.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 7:18 pm

My dingaling has been a hit for years.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 7:21 pm

Teengenerate
The Motards
The Registrators
Loli & The Chones
The Problematics
The Infections
The Brides
The Reds
Tyrades
Teenage Rejects
Supercharger
The Lids

I would agree with every band but the Motards. No way they have anything on the Clash. They had two versions of one song and that was it. I love the tards but I wouldn't sleep right tonight letting that go. And none of them are better than Chuck Berry dammit.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 7:24 pm

So..........you won't bother to remember: Chronics, Problematics, Infections, Motards, Registrators, Teengenerate, or the Rip Offs themselves?

if the flames aren't too high, i'd pull the infections out of the fire...

but i wouldn't burn my fingers for it.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 7:54 pm

but what the fuck were you listening to?

lesse, 95 woulda been whiskey, soul food, hard times, orphan's tragedy, honey steel's gold, white house, bait & switch, get action, probably a couple gaunt albums, hopefully some flying nun...

haha, how the fuck am i supposed to remember that far back?

oh, and obviously some rip off records, that's how i know that shit ain't for me.
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 8:41 pm

i tried burning my records. the little plastic cases they came in didn't burn too well but the fumes did get me high. well, me and my dingaling.

steeler's wheel
poco
spooky tooth
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 9:52 pm

I hate every band on 89.3 THE CURRENT's playlist...
Posted: Jul 7, 2007 11:03 pm

oh shit how could I forget. I hate Bob Dylan
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 1:51 am

The Reds were the finest punk band of the last 20 years..if ya hate the Reds ya hate punk rock

do i hate comedy if i hate lucille ball, too? pffffffffffft
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 1:57 am

One of the best punk bands I ever heard was some guy's name's Red Food Band from Knoxville in the mid 80s. He was a sacker at Red Food and would show up for shows in full Red Food Store regalia. His name was like Ivan or something and he was some redneck from the bowels of South Knox.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 3:07 am | Edited by: michael bateman

As of 9:07pm, Marc Bolan's voice makes me want to run headfirst into a brickwall.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 3:47 am

I always thought he was so fucking ridiculous, but liked him anyway. Go figure.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 5:48 am

Clash = Reggae
Reggae Sucks.

thank you!!!!
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 6:51 am

Big Star sucks too.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 6:56 am

my dingaling?

that was his hit records, right?

he b l o w s.

What are you talking about? Is that really the only song you know of his? To say the least, that ain't representative.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 4:14 pm

i hate the black lips borrrring !
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 4:16 pm

i hate the dils um sike i hate the ramones just kidding most what i hate is late 90s early 00 garage rock but i will tell you who i do like the first kriss kross mn that album is good i missed out on that
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 4:50 pm

do i hate comedy if i hate lucille ball, too? pffffffffffft

this analogy is not apt, replace Lucille Ball with say, um Bill Hicks and then the answer to your question is "uhh, yes, it does mean you hate comedy"

This thread had me drag out the Reds' records and I still stand by my statement...THE BEST.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 5:11 pm

The Reds don't have anything on New Bomb Turks. Besides, I find the 1st 2 records by The Reds that were on A&M in the 70s to be much more inspiring.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 5:51 pm

Supercharger
Devo

Overrrrrrrrrrrrrrated!
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 6:51 pm

ah naw you di'int
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 7:57 pm

who ever said super charger and devo are overrated is not cool you are a loser go die fucking eagles loving bastard what the fuck are you into ??thats cooler then these two bands i must know cause you suuuuuuuck fuuuuuuuuuucccckkk you !
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 8:25 pm

this analogy is not apt, replace Lucille Ball with say, um Bill Hicks and then the answer to your question is "uhh, yes, it does mean you hate comedy"

how about if i replace bill hicks with patton oswalt? fuck that asshole.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 8:28 pm

go die fucking eagles loving bastard

i'm rather fond of the fucking eagles...

www.myspace.com/ihatethefkingeagles

despite the indication that they hate themselves. oh well
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 8:29 pm

The new Patton Oswalt album is funny as hell
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 8:31 pm

The new Patton Oswalt album is funny as hell

you must hate punk rock!
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 9:32 pm

GG Allin. I don't care how good people say the early stuff is, I've seen the documentary and heard that shit and still I don't care.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 9:36 pm

Oh, and Hank Williams III. Made me think of it 'cause the aformentioned shit-eater's former backing band (Murder Junkies) opened for him. OK, I liked him well enough in concert last year but I just tried to listen to the Straight To Hell CD and it sounded HORRIBLE. A foul-mouthed hillbilly who likes drugs a lot. Big deal. I'll stick with his grandad, thanks very much.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 9:37 pm

golf nigger
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 9:46 pm

golf nigger

I loved this guy

Hate Bill Hicks? No. No. No.
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 10:22 pm

GG Allin. I don't care how good people say the early stuff is,

Unpredictable, Automatic, Assface, Eat you out- all classics

"Don't go playin with me emotionally, or I will make you bleed eternally"
Posted: Jul 8, 2007 10:22 pm

internally rather
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 12:16 am

You hate Bob Dylan? I mean, I think I only own one or two records by him (if that) but the guy could write some great songs. That "Live at Royal ALbert Hall" or whatever it's called is pretty fucking great.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 2:24 am

Woh! Some asshole was downplaying Chuck Berry here. That is a crime.

But G.G. Allin? That is downright sacrilege!
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 3:06 am

Mozart's totally lame
powdered wig ponce

gimme Sibelius
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 4:47 am

But G.G. Allin? That is downright sacrilege!

I can't see people liking GG's early stuff w/ the Jabbers 'cuz it mostly poorly executed, ex-lax induced............uh diarrhea. I can also see people not liking GG's last stuff because it sounds like diarrhea. But how could you not like "Freaks, Faggots, Drunks and Junkies"? Or how could you not like side 2 of "AntiSocial Personality Disorder"(w/ The AIDS Brigade)? 90% of the Scumfuc's material? I always preferred the post acid-casualty, scatological, misanthropic, gun-toting GG compared to the post prison sentence, nihilistic, gun-toting GG Allin...
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 8:26 am

I prefer the drunken, homo, poetry reading, hobo beating GG
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 9:17 am

I don't care for anything GG did once he got out of jail, but the record with the Jabbers & Dirty Love Songs are great.
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 7:07 pm

I AM NOT AN ASSHOLE!!! And anyway I love Chuck Berry. I saw him play six times last year in St. Louis. But I just don't care for you guys' precious GG Allin awright?!
Posted: Jul 9, 2007 10:31 pm

I just don't care for you guys' precious GG Allin awright?!

It's all goodness. Hate him all you like. Personal tastes vary not only from person to person, but regarding the individual, they can change from day to day. It would be stranger if we agreed on everything. When you say you don't like GG Allin, it says to me that you cared enough to find out who he was & what he played. That's a lot more than most people will do, even if you don't like him.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 5:14 am

besides GG loved to be hated
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 5:34 am

lesse, 95 woulda been whiskey, soul food, hard times, orphan's tragedy, honey steel's gold, white house, bait & switch, get action, probably a couple gaunt albums, hopefully some flying nun...

Ahhh, I see...we're from different planets.

haha, how the fuck am i supposed to remember that far back?

I never stopped listening to all my 90's stuff...

Hatin' is easier & fun.

Absolutely true.

Hip/Cool THREADS you should like, but just don't...
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 7:19 am | Edited by: satchmykels

Ahhh, I see...we're from different planets.

cheater slicks, oblivians, laughing hyenas, cows, ed kuepper, dead c, thomas jefferson slave apartments and teengenerate aren't on your planet? that's fucking nuts, man! how about you stay offa my planet, huh?
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 9:23 am

The Ed Kuepper record that got me the most excited was Rooms of the Magnificent.

Also, there is talk of a Hyenas reunion/Larissa wake. There should be one. Larissa deserves a proper wake even though it is long after the fact.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 3:40 pm

I just don't care for you guys' precious GG Allin awright?!

It's all goodness. Hate him all you like. Personal tastes vary not only from person to person, but regarding the individual, they can change from day to day. It would be stranger if we agreed on everything. When you say you don't like GG Allin, it says to me that you cared enough to find out who he was & what he played. That's a lot more than most people will do, even if you don't like him.

When I first became aware of GG years ago I filed him under the category of "artists" that I've intuitively decided to ignore based on a gut reaction, which is unfair, but that's the way my mind works.

Occasionaly, often years later, I will revisit these "artists" and sometimes I wish I had investigated their output long ago. So far I've yet to see the appeal with GG, other than the quite-common use of shock value, and his "extreme" lifestyle.

To be honest I think most people like particular artists because of their image, or their music, but it's usually some combination of the two to oversimplify things. I think his image is ridiculous and if I want to hear regurgitated punk/hard rock about murder, suicide, drug use, and hating yourself and the world I think there are plenty of other bands doing a great job.

On another note, I don't know if they're hip or cool but I've always disliked the Supersuckers.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 4:08 pm

The worst part of GG was the "shock value" crap. So many great, even classic early songs, and the guy could sing. Then he started with tuneless grunts & it became a sad sideshow. There's a reason that so many people played with him (like members of the MC5) - he was fucking good on a musical level. Supersuckers are just really gay.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 4:13 pm

cheater slicks, oblivians, laughing hyenas, cows, ed kuepper, dead c, thomas jefferson slave apartments and teengenerate aren't on your planet? that's fucking nuts, man! how about you stay offa my planet, huh?

not obsessively, for sure, a little, good live, fuck no, no, no, and yes.

Easy tiger, I'm not your 'man'. OK, so same planet, different scene. All I am saying is, I admit you may have 'had to be there' to truly love the Ripp Off heyday. And though, I too, am full of hate, all this ire over something so personal, inconsistant and subjective is gettin' me down.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 4:56 pm

so personal, inconsistant and subjective is gettin' me down.

you oughta try living in France or something like that. we're just lucky we have a choice AND we can complain about it

what gets me about this thread is nobody has mentioned the really shitty acts that sell gazillions of records, and are still "hip/cool" .... Queens of the Stone Age, the "Killers", etc.

it's true, the Internet is full of hate
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 5:21 pm

white stripes
pogues

prettymuch anything that's been forced on me

I resent that shit
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 5:23 pm

all new york bands except for the little killers.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 6:31 pm

HEY! there you are!
where you been - I've missed you.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 6:40 pm

who, me? st. louis last week, and my modem exploded at home so i'm only online at work until they come and fix my shit on saturday. fags.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 8:44 pm

And though, I too, am full of hate, all this ire over something so personal, inconsistant and subjective is gettin' me down.

eh, hate's a little strong. i don't even really care that you said "fuck no" to ed kuepper. a little shocking perhaps, but ahh, whatever.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 9:48 pm

Whoops, out of order, I meant 'fuck no' to Dead C. Though, I like pre-horns Saints, Ed K's still a no...
Hope you didn't curb the hate cuz you figured out I'm a girl...haha.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 10:45 pm

Lost Sounds
River City Tanlines
Mouserocket

HUH?!!!!!! Check yoself!

Bands I should but dont like:
Black Flag
X
Human Eye ( I swear the lead singer is Ron Howards brother... but in a creepy way)
Wire
Ill have to think more about this because if there IS one thing Im good at its pointing out what I DONT like
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 10:55 pm

fuck sartre, hell is other people's music. listen to what you want.
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 10:56 pm

Human Eye ( I swear the lead singer is Ron Howards brother... but in a creepy way)

you're being overly nice referring to him as a "singer". yeeeeesh
Posted: Jul 10, 2007 11:21 pm

Lost Sounds
River City Tanlines
Mouserocket

HUH?!!!!!! Check yoself!

pffft, that shit is gay.
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 9:42 am

all this ire over something so personal, inconsistant and subjective is gettin' me down.

maybe you should only click on threads where you know people will be getting all feel goody posi vibes action then

stay away from threads where people might express negativity over something that'll make you crap your pants
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 11:02 am

GG Allin = Jandek
Greatest ongoing pieces of art during our times.
...and I don't like Jandek
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 5:57 pm

crap your pants

GG Allin already did that!
Posted: Jul 11, 2007 8:47 pm

crap your pants

GG Allin already did that!

sans pants
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 2:59 am

Well... This is why we make so many different types of music- So everyone can have something they like, at least once... and everyone can have something to hate, once or twice.....
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 5:48 am

maybe you should only click on threads where you know people will be getting all feel goody posi vibes action then

Wow, Beef (great name, btw) maybe you should go pound a nerd after football practice. By missing my point, you've proved it. I agreed that hating is more fun, but tedious when it's over something so entirely subjective. What Toad said. To each their fucking own...even boring Neanderthals.
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 6:25 am

nerf football anyone?
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 7:22 am

WHOO WHOO!
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 7:34 am

Wow, Beef (great name, btw) maybe you should go pound a nerd after football practice. By missing my point, you've proved it. I agreed that hating is more fun, but tedious when it's over something so entirely subjective. What Toad said. To each their fucking own...even boring Neanderthals.

NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 4:03 pm

James Brown is funkier than Vanilla Ice
Black Sabbath is heavier than Winger
Howlin Wolf is better than the Soledad Bros
The Buzzcocks had better punk songs than Blink 182

You could do this all day. Extreme examples are to best illustrate that this is not entirely a subjective debate.
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 5:30 pm

nerf herder
Posted: Jul 12, 2007 8:26 pm

Lost Sounds
River City Tanlines
Mouserocket

You left out" the clears" and "ultra cats" you big nerd
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 4:15 am

James Brown is funkier than Vanilla Ice

Say it ain't so!
Posted: Jul 13, 2007 8:05 am

my junk is funkier than a mosquito's tweeter...

but i'm too drunk to bathe right now.
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 10:51 pm

The Mama Mia Soundtrack
Posted: Aug 23, 2008 11:26 pm

but recently bought Hootenanny, which I think just sucks ass!

I would contend that you just don't like the Replacements then. Probably their best all-around/most representative record (tho I'd go with 'Sorry, Ma...' every time).

I recommend the "Stink" e.p. "Dope Smoking Moron", "Fuck School" and "Lazy and White" are impervious to the sands of time. Viz. they are just as important today as they were thee very day in which they were recorded sometime in early '82 at Blackberry Way...
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 12:38 am

One-uping hipsters by dissing their favorite bands is gayer than being a hipster that listens to said faggy bands.

I only listen to Zoviet France, you're all fucking gay.
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 3:57 am

I recommend the "Stink" e.p.

"Heyday" is excellent.

I second not-getting the Detroit Cobras. saw them live, no enthusiasm. hipster audience making pained dance-like motions. fuuuuuuuck off.

also: Dirtbombs records. as soon as I start paying attention to the music it souns like Mick is singing in the wrong key about 95% of the time. guitar solos too. it just sounds anti-musical. the covers record is a little better...and I love the Gories. everything else, no thanks.
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 4:02 am

oh, and also The Stranglers, though I remember hearing a few songs when I was about 17 and thinking it sounded cool. maybe I'm attempting to like the wrong shit.
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 4:08 am

i only like my favorite bands!!!
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 4:35 am

ME TOO!!!@
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 5:09 am

i fucking HATE the niggers...
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 6:10 am

I like listening to queefs....that's about it
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 12:26 pm

Rehearsel:

Posted: Aug 24, 2008 2:48 pm

Pere Ubu.

The Clash are awesome. I know a lot of naysayers on that one and will never understand what they're thinkin'. Even Rock the Casbah is great.
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 6:31 pm

Devo

Overrrrrrrrrrrrrrated!

die!
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 6:35 pm

everybody in the world hate ....i mean fucking hate devo most people just have bad taste in music
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 7:00 pm

the Cheveu (?) band sucks. just horrible.
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 10:55 pm

will never understand what they're thinkin'

Soporific reggae. Is there any other kind?

I dig Pere Ubu. Probably the best $15 I ever spent for a show was Pere Ubu at the 400 BARf a couple years ago. It was hilarious watching David Thomas bitch at the crowd, which of course provoked them even more. Then he pulled the plug on the show early. What a cunt. You'd think since he's so cerebral, he'd know a little bit about psychology. But no, he took his football and went home.
Posted: Aug 24, 2008 11:20 pm | Edited by: dont wanna be a fat boy

One-upping hipsters by dissing their favorite bands is gayer than being a hipster that listens to said faggy bands.

maybe so, but I'm getting fucking sick of these people (particularly ES):

Eat Skull
Pink Reason

Pink Reason is OK, I guess, and I might still get their LP but I didn't like the songs on their MySpace; electronic beats can be great, but I just don't like them mixed with guitars- sounds strange to me is all (Kevin's working-class-hero bullshit is also tiresome, but that's him and not PR)

oh, and Eat fucking Skull; if I hear that name one more time, I will scream loud enough for the rest of the internet to hear me- either you can play an acoustic guitar or you can't and it's that simple (he/ they can't and I don't know about you guys, but I have no interest in that whatsoever)

anyway, I'm far from being a hipster; I'm too old for all of that shit
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 12:26 am

pink reason suck.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 1:33 am

I sort of agree with you again, Bradx; I'm not spending $15 or whatever on that
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 4:13 am

Pere Ubu.

I don't know how you can find The Modern Dance anything less than absolutely critical. Dub Housing is pretty spectacular as well. If you don't like Art of Walking or New Picnic Time, I wouldn't agree, but I would admit they aren't as strong as the 1st two. I like what's weird & I like what rocks & The Modern Dance has both qualities in spades.

the Cheveu (?) band sucks.

That's a little harsh, but they didn't appeal to me, either.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 10:50 am

Working class hero? That guy spent years without a job. Most Pink Reason songs have "real" drums, as well.

If you don't like Devo and love the Clash you are in a hole you cannot dig yourself out of. You've created a burrito so big you can't eat it. You fell down in the forest and no one cares about your screams.
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 10:56 am

poetry!
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 11:12 am

I think The Clash and Devo are both ABSOLUTEWY BOWING!
Posted: Aug 25, 2008 1:21 pm

Working class hero? That guy spent years without a job. Most Pink Reason songs have "real" drums, as well.

I realize you probably actually know Kevin, but I don't- all I know is what he wrote on fucking Terminal Boredom and that's why I said that; I just looked at their MySpace page earlier and the song I'm talking about is still on there (I believe it's called "Hanging On")
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 4:06 am

oh, and Eat fucking Skull; if I hear that name one more time, I will scream loud enough for the rest of the internet to hear me- either you can play an acoustic guitar or you can't and it's that simple (he/ they can't and I don't know about you guys, but I have no interest in that whatsoever)

Even though you have no interest: I really don't see what the
EAT SKULL
record has to do with being able to play the acoustic guitar.
It's like someone sayin after listening to the Third Reich 'n Roll: these assholes can't cover a song for shit.

There's a couple of songs on Sick to death that are yr typical Siltbreeze 'folkpunk' (or whatever), but jeez, Psych Horseshit did much worse.
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 4:08 am

here's some shit me and kevin recorded back in may
i call it "pink reason suck"
http://blip.tv/file/get/Bradx-shortattentionspan638.mp3
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 4:32 am

If you don't like Devo and love the Clash you are in a hole you cannot dig yourself out of. You've created a burrito so big you can't eat it. You fell down in the forest and no one cares about your screams.

What if you like DEVO and hate the Clash?
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 4:39 am

here's some shit me and kevin recorded back in may
i call it "pink reason suck"

Well, it does suck.
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 4:46 am

personally, i think its the best pink reason there is!
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 4:46 am

What if you like DEVO and hate the Clash?
if you dont like the first clash lp your an idiot.
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 4:52 am

personally, i think its the best pink reason there is!

heh,
that's not too difficult to pull off, is it now...
but really: it sucks.
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 4:56 am

at least theres no electronic beats!
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 4:57 am

or
DARKNESS AND SPLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 5:03 am

wait a minute,

"MUM! What could be the Goner word for 'spleen'?"

"Uhm: whining?"

"Yeah, that'll do."
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 10:07 am

If you like the first clash lp you're an idiot.
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 12:23 pm

If you like Cheveu(?), you like a band because other people on-line do, and you're an idiot.
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 12:40 pm

i wish the songs on the jay matador solo 7"s were better.
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 2:26 pm

THe BLaCK LIPS ARE ONLY GOOD AT PEEING ON A REVERB TANK AND SUCKING EACH OTERS LITTLE PECKERS.

JAY RETARDS NEW FAUX MS> MILLER BRITISH ACCCENT SET TO POP IS AWFUL> JUST STICK TO RIPIN OFF THE OBLIVS AND WIRE. THAT SHIT WAS GGOOOODDD.

MOST BANDS THAT HAVE EVER PLAYED GONER FEST ARE FUCKING LAMEO. I"M GLAD I NEVER PAYED AND DRANK FOR FREE. IT WOULD BE BETTER TO JUST GET MARKY, CJ AND ME TO PLAY THE ONLY SONGS WORTH A SHIT!!!
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Even though you have no interest: I really don't see what the
EAT SKULL record has to do with being able to play the acoustic guitar.
It's like someone sayin after listening to the Third Reich 'n Roll: these assholes can't cover a song for shit.

a buddy of mine kept going on and on about Eat Skull, so I listened to them again and I like them pretty well now actuallyl there was a song on their MySpace with very badly-played acoustic guitar and that's what I was referring to, but they took it down now...

that's not at all what I thought of The Residents, DLD; not at all...
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 2:41 pm

If you like Cheveu, you like a band because other people on-line do, and you're an idiot.

well, I like both the first Clash LP and Cheveu so can both eat it; I don't like Cheveu because every else does, thank you very much- I like them because I happen to like both synthesizers AND rock 'n' roll, so that whole thing makes perfect sense to me (does the name Metal Urbain ring a bell?! if it doesn't, well, I'll be nice and say you're missing out)

the last time I tried to get into a band because everyone else liked them was when I was in fucking high school; the hottest girl in school was all about Pearl Jam, so I got the one with the dog/ sheep thing on the front and boy was I ever sorry!!
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 2:42 pm

That Staags band.
What's their deal, anyway?
Yeah, that band up top there with the new 7".
With red vinyl and three inserts and a button.
What's wrong with those people?
I'll probably order one to find out.
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 2:44 pm

That Staags band.

You ought to get an honorary marketing degree for that one...
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 2:45 pm

That Staags band.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhm...
Oops, I let me hooker on.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 3:08 pm

3 inserts?
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 4:35 pm

Three.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 5:58 pm

i wish the songs on the jay matador solo 7"s were better.

you listened to them? way to degrade their value!! now you can never post them "UNPLAYED! BUY IT NOW FOR JUST $193!!"
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 6:09 pm

looking back on it, I guess I sorta outgrew the Clash. London Calling did a lot to get me to accept other musical genres-- I mean, I was 15 or whatever, and "pop" to me was top 40. I mean London Calling sounded like good, old pop. not just reggae. I still don't care much for Bob Marley. Buffalo Soldier makes me want to throw ashtrays.

anyway, Joe Strummer is a bit overinflated since his death, and his peace/unity/global/mashup schtick is pretty corny, but I guess what else are you gonna do if you're mega-stars selling out stadiums and trying to hold up the punk banner?
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 8:02 pm

Three.
couldn't you have phrased it along these lines:
"yo, staags would like to shout out to the whole world, and our moms"?
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 8:13 pm

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 8:18 pm | Edited by: Paul Lips

It's a given that any band whose name is a participle followed by a noun is going to suck ballz.
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 10:59 pm

The Cars That Ate Paris
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®