Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Hip/Cool bands you should like, but just don't...
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 10:15 am

There's a few for me. Don't know what it is. Not trying to bash their fans... I just never liked them.

The Replacements
The Clash
Husker Du (except for "New Day Rising" & some tunes offa "Children's Crusade")
The Who ("Live at Leeds" is all I ever spin & only rarely)
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 1:00 pm

I agree with your list. First three I liked for a while in high school; the Who had plenty good stuff throughout the first decade or so, though. Not in the same league as the Kinks or Stones.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:09 pm

Thin Lizzy.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:10 pm

Alarm Clocks
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:13 pm

Not really sure I'm digging the Mary Weiss too much, either. No offense.
Glad she's come back. Glad she picked some good people to jam with.
Kind of used to somebody else doing those songs.
Maybe, if I get the record, it'll change my mind, but from what I've heard so far...
It's probably just me.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:16 pm

the gories. everyone keeps ranting and raving about mick collins and the gories, but i just don't get it. nitroglycerine is great though
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:29 pm

Carbonas

They're good, but "Best Punk Band in the US"? Uh, send me to another country then, please. (insert Iraq joke here)
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:33 pm

In my mind the Clash were the greatest Rock 'n' Roll group of all time.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:33 pm

The White Stripes
The Horrors (UK)
The Clash (Mick Jones is a bit weird, but Strummer and Simonon were nice enuff fellas when I met 'em, but can't really see why peeps go nuts for 'em)
Grateful Dead
Led Zeppelin

Replacements are a weird one - a good pal bought me that "All For Nothing..." comp a few years back and I couldn't get past the gawdawful 80s production, but eventually started digging SOME of their stuff. Scarfed up cheap copies of Let It Be, Tim and Pleased To Meet Me on vinyl, and there's some great stuff on each one, if you can excuse the shitty sound (those drums, argh!), and dug the Granpaboy stuff (especially Mono), but recently bought Hootenanny, which I think just sucks ass! My fave Replacements stuff is:

Can't Hardly Wait
Alex Chilton
Nightclub Jitters
Skyway
Here Comes A Regular
Satellite
Androgynous
Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out
Till We're Nude
All He Wants To Do Is Fish
Answering Machine
I Don't Know
Portland
I Will Dare
Sixteen Blue

... and possibly a coupla others...
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:35 pm

Carbonas..."Best Punk Band in the US"

I love 'em, but I don't know of anyone making that assertion.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:35 pm

... including Date To Church, which to me seems sorta like an (unreleased at the time) idiot cousin to The Oblivians' gospel set, being that it was recorded by Dickinson at Ardent n'all...
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:37 pm

but I don't know of anyone making that assertion.

Trust me, it's been made, my friend.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:38 pm

Weird.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:39 pm

but recently bought Hootenanny, which I think just sucks ass!

I would contend that you just don't like the Replacements then. Probably their best all-around/most representative record (tho I'd go with 'Sorry, Ma...' every time).
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:41 pm

Ick, need to give it another listen, I know, but it's that 'swooshing' guitar sound on Within Your Reach which really nearly made me puke - have heard that Sorry, Ma is kool...
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 2:58 pm

Black Lips
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 4:11 pm

i think the replacements are the greatest band ever. i didn't think many people that heard them disliked them.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 4:16 pm

no one. i like it all!
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 4:19 pm

I would contend that you just don't like the Replacements then. Probably their best all-around/most representative record (tho I'd go with 'Sorry, Ma...' every time).

Don't know about that but "Color Me Impressed" may be my favorite song of theirs.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 4:38 pm

left out in the cold

NEVER have gotten these bands

slade
sweet
deep purple
black sabbath
bb king
supremes
let it be/abbey road/peppers
half of jam/less than half of clash
almost all of hardcore except minor threat

and oops--i prefer the pagans to the pussy ramones: it's meaner,leaner.

NP

mary wells lost 61-64
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 4:52 pm

yeah I'd say the bulk of hardcore (with a few exceptions)
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 4:54 pm

Kool And The Gang
Cher
Kraftwerk
Pablo Cruise
Tiny Tim
Warren Zevon
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 5:16 pm

The Proclaimers
Right Said Fred
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 5:35 pm

The Clash
Thin Lizzy
The Sex Pistols
almost all NYCHC
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 5:40 pm

cosmic psychos
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 5:49 pm

I like most of all of those bands, besides the obvious Greatful Dead, Right Said Fred...and so on. Replacements, Sweet, Slayed, Black Lips, Carbonas, Alarm Clocks...I like'em all. Mary Weiss....haven't seen her live, not too crazy about what I've heard, but I don't think it awful. Just way over hyped and sick of hearing about her. Clash, if I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing them again I would be happy. But I will probably here them in some bar with in the next day or two.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 5:50 pm

cosmic psychos

What, you didn't like it when they showed you their bare asses at the end of the set?

I'm up, you're out.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 6:03 pm

besides the obvious Greatful Dead,

I'm gonna go ahead and say it: there are some great Grateful Dead songs. Not many, but they exist. And I think that Warren Zevon was a GREAT songwriter, just not the best singer/performer.

As far as "hip" bands I never got:

The Clash and the Replacements are the ones that get me into the most arguments.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 6:23 pm | Edited by: queenothetwist

thank god someone else hates the clash and the replacements.
i also can't stand elvis costello.

http://flickr.com/photos/queenothetwist/37634689/in/set-72157594481484 987/
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 6:29 pm

This is fucked.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 6:37 pm

finally someone agrees with me
hookorcrook
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 6:50 pm

yeah I'd say the bulk of hardcore (with a few exceptions)
me too. very few. and even those i never feel like listening to them anymore. never liked the clash either.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 7:00 pm

D.R.I. RULES MY MEXICAN'T ASS.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 7:01 pm

Hardcore is a different animal, though - very much about the youthfull angry hormonal rush. If you were 15, you'd probably still love that shit.

I agree with most of these bands, but Black Sabbath??? Fuck that shit! I understand not liking Sweet, but thankfully I was not afflicted.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 7:01 pm

hipshakes...heheh
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 7:07 pm

The Who. The assumed universal reverence and fascination with the Keith Moon stories puzzle me.

The Band
Neil Young
Crazy Horse
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 8:45 pm

i think the replacements are the greatest band ever. i didn't think many people that heard them disliked them.

Bill does not like the Replacements AT ALL and having a former boyfriend that was FUCKING OBSESSED with them i can say there are probably 4 songs that I'd give a "yeah, that's a real good song" to. I also had to sit though THREE, count them THREE nights of Paul Westerberg boring ass solo shows.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 8:47 pm

I like the Replacements' "Sorry Ma..." OK, but it sounds like a totally different band than the other stuff....but yeah - overall...nothing doing for me...
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 8:49 pm

The Who.

fuck all the Keith Moon stories - they were just a great pop band... even up to the overblown, overplayed "Who's Next"... "Who Sells Out" is my personal fave, though....
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 8:51 pm

i never liked hardcore
none of the SST stuff does a damn thing for me
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 8:52 pm | Edited by: Shawn Carpetbagger

I love all the westcoast hardcore standards like Circle Jerks, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, etc. but I just never saw what the big deal was about Minor Threat. I guess I can't get past the goofy "straight edge" thing. And I hate all the tough guy jock hardcore stuff.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 8:52 pm

Who da fuck don't like The Who? Only people I know that don't like them have pretty much only heard the hits
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 8:55 pm

I guess I can't get past the goofy "straight edge" thing.

I can hear your plight, however, there's something special about drinking a beer or two and cranking it. I did this Saturday.
MEAN guitar sound. Love it.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 8:56 pm

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU???????
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 8:57 pm

This one goes out to everybody. Ready?
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:02 pm

i don't love the who, but i do love keith moon. drummers like that--fucking crazy--are my absolute favorites.

hardcore makes me want to kick something--love it!

only good clash records are the first one and black market clash 10".

replacements get TIRED after a while.

how can you not like BLACK SABBATH? that shit puts hair on your chest.

if you don't like neil young or thin lizzy, you're just looney.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:02 pm

i think that hardcore alienated plenty of young women.
it was a rough gig, whoever you saw. testosterone anger and fury everywhere... on the stage, on the floor next to you... you could get hurt (in a bad way) just walking into a hardcore gig
and i didn't like the music; i still don't
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:04 pm

i could never, ever sit down and listen to a hardcore record, but i sure do love watching it.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:05 pm

thin lizzy, you're just looney.

This, coming from the girl who keeps falling over whenever certain songs come on.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:08 pm

Who da fuck don't like The Who?

Being a heretic is kind of the point of this thread. If I have to listen to all the deep album cuts to appreciate a band, fug em'. Not worth my time. And I don't like Maximum R&B, either.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:17 pm | Edited by: LisaLisa

it's probably true for others too but it's weird when a band has ispired you to the point that it made you pick up a guitar or drums or whatever but to other people its fingernails on a chalkboard or whatever... what a country.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:18 pm

If you think that you do not like the Clash, then you owe it to yourself to listen to their live recordings from 1976. I could speak about the Clash forever, but I'll leave it where it is.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:24 pm

A lot of punks don't like The Clash. I accepted it long ago.

Now, The Dictators, I don't get that one. I mean, I understand WHY people like them, but it just sounds like baloney to me. Guess I'm not a real American.

Now, comes the deluge....
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:34 pm | Edited by: Shawn Carpetbagger

A lot of punks don't like The Clash. I accepted it long ago.
I think half of the fun of hating The Clash is that some people just hyperventilate over the fact that not everyone buys into their political posturing and not everyone thinks they are the greatest band ever. The Clash are The Beatles of punk in that sense.

Now, The Dictators, I don't get that one. I mean, I understand WHY people like them, but it just sounds like baloney to me. Guess I'm not a real American.
A bunch of ugly, smartass, scumbag dudes with proto-punk tunes about hamburgers, getting drunk, and girls. That speaks to me, man! What's not to love?!?
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:36 pm

hamburgers

sounds like baloney to me
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:40 pm

I guess can see this but, honestly the first time I heard The Dictators it broke my brain.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:43 pm

No comments about your brain then.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:43 pm

t's probably true for others too but it's weird when a band has ispired you to the point that it made you pick up a guitar or drums or whatever but to...

that's fucking great. It was The Who for me, too, that launched me into a whole 'nother musical realm I never thought I'd ever see or rather, just didn't even think about. When I was 19, I was was shown The Kids are Alright and my mind was fucking blown. I love reminiscing about it!

I can't even consider about half their catalogue when thinkng about why their music means so much to me...adn I havne't listened to a Who album in years either, but they'll always hold a special spot.

and I just pulled out my "I'm a Boy" poster and hung it back up!
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:49 pm

MY BRAIN IS BALONEY!!! there i said it for you.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:52 pm

More like Swiss cheese.

I'm gettin hungry. Anyone got any Bread?
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 9:56 pm

i'm with you on the dics btw not that you asked for my help

sunday morning hangover sloppiness wink wink nod nod smarminess

but their search and destroy? blister baby blister
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 10:09 pm

I love "The Replacements STINK" and not much else by them. Clash has some great songs and a whole lotta misfires. I went thru a love/hate thing w/The Who a few years back but now i love 'em again.

Hardcore is underrrated,mostly because even the best bands stuck around too long after they lost whatever they had that made 'em good. BJoe is absolutely right about DRI,"Dealing With It" is their "Exile On Main Street",it's all downhill from there.

I guess if there's two bands out there i've never really gotten into it would have to be The Sex Pistols,who also had some great songs and misfires (and the publicity/chaos they brough w/them was the utmost in genius fo sho),but i'll probably N*E*V*E*R like Patti Smith under any circumstances.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 10:30 pm

Man, this thread is bring to mind so many for me!

Not that I hate these bands, but rather, don't care. I don't own a single record by the following:

Dictators
Neil Young
The Band
Patti Smith
Black Sabbath
Kraftwerk
X
Most classic rock and "metal"

Also- I only own the first Who record and one Beatles record (I think it's their second?) and one Bob Dylan record.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 10:42 pm

that's fucking great.

not like "oh, that's just f'n great" but like, "great! me too!"

uh, yeah, anywho.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 10:53 pm

X

Which one? You don't necessarily need one but you should have the other.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 11:06 pm

>ahem< yeah man John Doe ROOLZ....
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 11:12 pm

>are you actually outloud-saying "ahem" phonetically, because I don't get these carrot beaks otherwise< Ian Rilen
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 11:13 pm

Which one?

Both- US and Aussie.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 11:30 pm

am i gonna have to dust off my John Doe slapped my hand away from my own dog story??
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 11:32 pm

Probably.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 11:40 pm

Any Who Tommy and later. it's a put on.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 11:40 pm

who story - so my fatherinlaw calls the other day and asks if i know who pete townsend is. aparantly he was seated next to pete at this benefit for kids with downs or some-such affliction. father in law kept saying how nice and friendly pete was -- i'm sure it was a rare treat for pete to talk to someone who had no idea who he was.
anyways, since that call i'm back on a who kick -- and i'm not too cool for the hits either - i'm playign the shit out of meaty beaty big and bouncy and love everything about baba o'reily (sp?)

anyways, my heretical answe to the band i should get but dont is the Turpentine Bros
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 12:33 am

i've said this before, but hardcore/punk back in my high school days scared the HELL out of me. just like you say, theresa: everybody got hurt. it was scary and it was florida. a lot of kids had nothing but bad homes and angst. i tried to "participate" once--you know, get in the pit--and it was dumb. the pit was not a nice place for a girl in '85-'86.

so that was my initiation into hardcore/punk rock. it really blew my mind--fast forward a decade--to date a rich doctor's son who had a huge record collection--all the punk rock put out--and realize that punk rock didn't always stem from poverty, anger and broken homes.

florida's a tough place.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 12:54 am

kk+bbq.

just isn't very exciting to me.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 3:26 am

am i gonna have to dust off my John Doe slapped my hand away from my own dog story??

that's it actually. John Doe slapped my hand away from my dog after he said his collar was too tight and i went to see if it was so. so poop on x.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 3:49 am

Which one?

Both- US and Aussie.

What? X from Australia? That record slays! I could care less for X from US.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 5:18 am | Edited by: pseudo pion

Which one?

Both- US and Aussie.

What? X from Australia? That record slays! I could care less for X from US.

"Home is where the floor is!!" I've been rockin' Aspirations lately...good stuff.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 5:27 am

I dunno. Like I said- I don't actively dislike 'em. Just seems like there's other stuff I'd rather spend time/money on.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 6:57 am

Grateful Dead make me ill.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 2:45 pm

I Don't Wanna Go Out / Hate City / Caberet Roll / Batman / Aussie X kicked so much ass and they were the primary contemporary influence on feedtime, one of the best bands to ever pop up over there. The other X has a few good songs, one great recorded performance ("We're Desperate") and lots of stiff-sounding crud.

I don't get the Turpentine Bros either, good current band call, Crucial Douche! As for hardcore, yer basically dumb if you don't dig early Die Kreuzen, no exeptions. Def Jam wanted them (and not Slayer) to be their first "white" signing, but they wanted to keep it reeeal and declined. Man. Their first LP is a masterpiece.

Also don't get current stuff like the Manikins and Locomotions & their Rip Offy Europunk ilk. Not terrible, just totally unmemorable. And most current hardcore championed by people like Matt Coppens - bo-ring. Though I do like the Regulations & a few other current hardcores (Darvocets are fun, Formeldehyde Junkies, etc.).
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Anyone have an extra copy of Assperations to get rid of? I have the Live album, which is good, but I need the actual album. That shit kills! "Present" one of my favorites!

Suprised nobody has mentioned GG. I can't get into too much of the later stuff. A few here and there, but not much of it. The Jabbers!!! Some of the best stuff ever!
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 3:35 pm

Lost Sounds
River City Tanlines
Mouserocket
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 3:49 pm

you're a mouserocket
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 3:51 pm

I can never willingly listen to Elvis Costello, even though I like a couple of his tunes.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 4:07 pm

Although there are a ton I like to bring up in other circles, my favorites to not give a shit on goner are the Who and Devo. Those have gotten me the best reactions!

Definitely agree with the Clash too.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 4:15 pm

The Replacements
The Clash

All my favorites. For a long time it was extremely unhip to like the Clash. The Clash live esp. from 79-81 were a completely different animal than in the studio, untouchable then or now.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 8:18 pm

What the fuck is WRONG with you people? You don't like Thin Lizzy? WHAT? Or X? WHAT?!?! And it took me a long time to really appreciate the Replacements, but they are a fucking great band.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 8:55 pm

it really blew my mind--fast forward a decade--to date a rich doctor's son who had a huge record collection--all the punk rock put out--and realize that punk rock didn't always stem from poverty, anger and broken homes.

that's for sure..... southern california and FLA have so much in common beyond the perpetual sunshine! there was a huge rift.... spoken and unspoken in the 70s LA punk days between the hollywood/west side punks and the south bay (home of hardcore) punks. then there was orange county - --- east LA had its own thing too, but no one hated on them.

west siders and orange county kids were middle class, upper middle class, and rich kids.

alice bag (a latina, for those who don't know) always like to say that it didn't matter if you were rich or poor, though -- that there was always something that would make you feel marginalized. only she was rather eloquent about it. she would talk about how hollywood punks took the piss out of glamorous hollywood with the way they dressed.

just because a lot of punk rock sentiment in the UK was born out of a "life on the dole; ain't going nowhere" mentality doesn't mean a lot of those folks weren't middle class either.... joe strummer...middle class.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 8:59 pm

ewveryone should love The Band.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 9:03 pm

Lost Sounds
River City Tanlines
Mouserocket

i can understand RCT and mouserocket, but not lost sounds.
plastic skin is one of my favorite songs ever. then they wrote i sit i watch i wait.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 9:04 pm

do you do the robot dance when you listen to them?
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 9:08 pm

You are the robot dance.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 9:12 pm

do you do the robot dance when you listen to them?
no, i get pissed that i'm not, at that very moment, playing a show. for me (at least) i want music that makes me feel that way. dancing is secondary.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 9:25 pm

Lost Sounds...like some songs here and there but overall meh..
The Band
Thin Lizzy
The only Replacements stuff I like are the first two records and even those are just ok.
KK and BBQ...i like but it just doesnt move me that much
The Rebel
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 9:27 pm

Squarehead's right! The Band is great!
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:10 pm

my all time favorite bands are
the who
the clash
thin lizzy
jimi hendrix
john coltrane
x
the replacements

hip bands that i don't get are
black lips
wolfmother
the ponys

turns out i don't have alot in common musically with people on this thread
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:11 pm

oops, forgot funkadelic!
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:23 pm

oops, forgot funkadelic!

you like them or not?

that whole george clinton, parliament, bootsy thing - i understand it but it doesn't rock my boat
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:28 pm

FUNKADELIC era 68 to about 74, eddie hazel era- i love it! it's like if jimi hendrix and sly stone were in a band together.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:29 pm

The Last Waltz is incredible. and the 2nd Band LP is amazing all the way through. One of the great rock bands of all time.

LEARN TO LOVE THE BAND
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:30 pm

I do not like Reigning Sound at all. So crucify me.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:32 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and say it: there are some great Grateful Dead songs. Not many, but they exist.
I knew it.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:33 pm

I just fucking knew it.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:37 pm

hip bands that i don't get are
black lips
wolfmother
the ponys

ditto. I mean I get them, but I'm definitely not blown away or anything.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:39 pm

Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:44 pm

Thanks for putting a smile on my face troll. I might even make it through the rest of my day now.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 12:06 am

WHAT THE FUCK??!!

Slanderous! And, just 'cause when me an' my friends go to our deserted island every summer and have camp fires and someone plays "Ripple" and I kinda dig it doesn't mean I'm not COOL!!!

FUCK THE COUNTRY FAIR!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Now Anne is NEVER gonna go on a date with me!! Way to GO!

AssHOLES!!

(But, seriously, Leftpeg- good to see you outta the house)
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 12:46 am

My list is too long so I'll give you three-

Metallica
The Clash
Fugazi
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 12:49 am

(But, seriously, Leftpeg- good to see you outta the house)
Figuratively anyway. I'm strapped to my desk at work. Haven't had much down time for goner.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:44 am

Justass Nachos digs it in the dog. I hate all of his bands, too.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:59 am | Edited by: cow boy

I see your Fugazi and raise you Nation Of Ulysses
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:09 am

The Replacements
The Clash

All my favorites. For a long time it was extremely unhip to like the Clash. The Clash live esp. from 79-81 were a completely different animal than in the studio, untouchable then or now.

See also in the 1st thread that I'm not saying this to diss the fans... I just never really got into them. Part of The Replacements thing was a group of guys I knew that played "Dope Smokin' Moron" non-stop & I didn't think it was much of a jam anyways let alone 40 consecutive times.

I see your Fugazi and raise you Nation Of Ulysses

The only Fugazi I really liked was "Steady Diet of Nothing." The only NOU I really like is "13 Point Program To Destroy America" & I fuckin' love that record. "Plays Pretty for Baby" is nowhere close to it.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 7:11 am

jack johnson. i mean i'm a mellow guy myself, but if i listened to that i'd flat line.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:30 am

jack johnson

What in the world is hip or cool about Jack Fucking Johnson?
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:53 am

EVERYTHING! HE WEARS KHAKI! IT BREATHES WELL!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 8:57 am

http://jackjohnsonmusic.com/videogallery/bv.htm

watch the jj casuals one, you'll know what i'm talking about.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:03 am

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:11 am

Oh man,

I just defended reggae for like 13 posts and now this..

How can you not like at least some of The Who?

Whaddya gotta prove your musical vendetta against the world buy hating The Who?

I'm getting a beer and listening to A Quick One before I start having a nosebleed.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 9:47 am

I'm not saying this to diss the fans

you know... sometimes a band's fans make me backlash against the band.
a certain stadium-playing artist (ie: popular w/ the masses) who i worked with during one of those never-ending stadium tours; easy for me to block out the music that did nothing for me... but the fans.... god help them
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:40 pm

I tried to get into fugazi. outside of a coupla good songs here and there, not much fun to listen to. too ponderous.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:18 pm

sniper, if you're meaning me, i said i like them but i don't love them. except for moon. i LOVE him. except he was a wife beater, which blows.

but anyway...

the who live at leeds? smokin!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:21 pm

Jenna, have you ever heard "Run Run Run?"
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:28 pm

The Who Sell Out is one of my favorite records and I can't think of why anyone wouldn't like it. Title proves those guys could predict their own future too.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 4:55 pm

I appologize, but I don't like the Leather Uppers. I want to. They are funny and sexy and dumb. I should love it. But I think it sounds like crap and they should get a bass player.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:35 pm | Edited by: tahiti amin

Leather Uppers I dont get either.
I cant believe someone could dislike slade. Slayed is probably the record I go back to most, followed closely by Go Gilr Crazy. Not liking the Dictators is like hating fun
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:42 pm | Edited by: mrlastname

If you don't like Slade, you're not an American, even though they weren't American, and even though I'm not at all authorized to tell anyone whether or not they're American. Faggots.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:56 pm

bad brains
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:11 pm

For the Who, my favourites are the 1965-1967 stuff and the earliest stuff(High Numbers).
Keith Moon is probably one of the all time most exciting drummers.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:29 pm

Over 125 posts and I'm the first person to say The Pogues. There are plenty of bands that people rave about who I could take or leave, but The Pogues are a band I actively dislike.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:33 pm

I'm kinda surprised no one has said Tom Waits.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:33 pm

Harlan T Bobo and Leather Uppers are the only releases in the Goner catalogue I have no use for. While that's a great track record, I'd still like to understand how the label that's released Guitar Wolf and the Hipshakes could go for those two. Eric, you have some 'spaining to do! I don't get the Pogues, either, and the Nipple Erectors were OK at best.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:35 pm

Keith Moon is probably one of the all time most exciting drummers.

agreed. if you watch some of the 70's live footage, he's playing shit that I can't even comprehend... totally awesome drummer - too bad his legend overshadows his legacy for most....
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:39 pm

Tom Waits
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:40 pm

Leftpeg to the rescue once again!! Now I can go back to bed and sleep soundly without worrying about anything.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:42 pm

And I think "Gabrielle" by the Nips is a rad pop song, and the obvious template for at least TWO bigs hit by big bands 10-15 years down the line.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 6:59 pm

Neither hip nor cool, unless you are takling to poets. But absolutely awful!
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:27 pm

Neither hip nor cool, unless you are takling to poets. But absolutely awful!

If "16 Shells from a 30 ought six" or "Going Out West" or "Whistlin' Past The Graveyard" or "The Piano Has Been Drinking" were instrumentals, I would still think they are great.

I never cared much for/understood The Pogues, but Cowtown man-about-town Craig Regala & Jim Weber have a story about them drinking Larry's completely out of Rolling Rock, if not beer altogether & for that, they've earned my undying respect, even if I never own a record by them.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:35 pm

I've never liked Led Zep or Sabbath. And I can't get into Black Lips or the Dirtbombs.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:49 pm

10-12 good waits songs; plus old pal ralph carney makes me laugh when he plays with him

pogues are pussies compared to the faces a band i think they try to emulate, at least live and in shaggy, what the hell spirit
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:59 pm

ha! i was just typing a funny drinking story about the faces when i lost my connection and had to re-boot.

sorta like mullet's recalling of jim weber & craig regala's pogues story.... my readers digest version of a ronnie wood story:

we were up burning the midnight oil so that he could deliver parts of his book ("the works" from the 1980s... this is how long ago this happened) to his editor. he promised to stay in the house and finish... he drank all teh vodka, and figured he'd stick w/ clear liquor; drank all the gin (at this point, his brother in law bowed out of the drinking) and then all the white rum.

he never ever seemed drunk... he never got sick and his painting/drawing skills did not suffer at all because of the booze.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 10:59 pm

I really like the Nips/Nipple Erectors and I really respect the Pogues but have no need to ever, ever hear one of their songs again.

There are a lot of current bands that are just fine by me but that people go totally apeshit over. It's like the audience is desperate for something to devote itself toward.

Then again, there are the Dirtbombs who just annoy me.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 11:16 pm

I've never liked Led Zep or Sabbath.
Being a 15 year old male at some point is required. I loved them when I was 15 but when I was 16, I thought they were just dumb.
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 11:29 pm

Being a 15 year old male at some point is required.

the industry counts on that. i'm willing to bet that the led zeppelin and black sabbath catalog is a perrennial sales bonanza based on the never-ending supply of 15 year old males
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 2:20 am

Slint.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 3:52 am

bad brains

that is just an asshole statement.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 5:26 am

im with nadine when it comes to the dirtbombs
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 6:04 am

well i'm an asshole.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 6:59 am

the dictators. can't see what's so great about em. the bad brains s/t (and rock for light) on the other hand are fucking awesome. i hope that new album will be good... but probably it won't. and elvis costello is the greatest ever.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 7:49 am

Dead Moon
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 7:13 pm

I can never listen to the Misfits ever again. The Cramps beat 'em at the Horror game and their 70s Punk stuff is absolutely unexceptional comapred to Ramones,Dead Boys,Crime,Hubble Bubble... you name it.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:19 pm

Pixies
Leather Uppers
Roxy Music(what little I've heard)
Blank Its
Television
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:29 pm

Roxy Music(what little I've heard)

first 2 records are where it's at..."s/t" & "For Your Pleasure"

but I think they're all pretty good up to "Siren"
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:31 pm

The Oblivians
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:33 pm

I can never listen to the Misfits ever again

i still like children in heat. but thats about it.

and ghost town by the nips is really good.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 9:39 pm

i prefer absolute silence to any form of constructed noise.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 10:00 pm

Dead Moon

I was just going to say that. I never did get the appeal.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 11:09 pm

All Black Flag after Nervous Breakdown
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 11:12 pm

Can't stand the Police. They've got a few decent songs, but none good enough to overcome the vox.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 11:13 pm

Blank Its

I got the "Johny's Tounge" 7" on Contaminated as a birthday present. I loved it. So much so, I bought the LP. I was glad to get it, but it didn't measure up to that one single.
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 11:36 pm

hey people who don't like the dirtbombs.... which line up do you not like? cuz it matters
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 11:45 pm

hey people who don't like the dirtbombs.... which line up do you not like? cuz it matters

all of them. i dont hate the dirtbombs but i just dont get it. i like all the other mick collins bands..screws, blacktop, gories........
Posted: Mar 16, 2007 11:51 pm

all the other mick collins bands..screws, blacktop, gories........

What?!?! The Gories are so great!! And the only good Police album is "Outlandos D'amour". Its really great. But I just bought a Leather Uppers album, and boy, was I disappointed. LAME!
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:08 am

i like all the other mick collins bands..screws, blacktop, gories........
agree
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:13 am

The Glow!
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:17 am | Edited by: cococomas

which line up do you not like? cuz it matters

man - the Tom Potter/Jim Diamond lineup was fuckin' awesome... two guitars + bass suited them more I don't dig the double bass action...
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:43 am

Horndogfest= great Ultraglide=life changing. Everything else they put out is real iffy. And there can't be a good Police album unless Sting isn't on it (and he is).
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 12:47 am

I actually wasn't tooooo into Horndog Fest. I mean, there were CUTS, but also there wasn't. Ultraglide I think is their best record (and I think it's pretty fucking great), and I like a lot of their singles.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 2:21 am

when they played at Berbattis in 2001 or 2002 with the two guitars it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. The next three were pretty boring except the eno cover which ruled.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 2:23 am

Ultraglide=life changing

Thats how I felt. I'm telling you! Outlandos D'Amour IS a good album. And I hate Sting. He should be getting old and shutting up, but is instead getting younger and younger. Its freaking me out.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 7:52 pm

Slint

Yeah, that's a great one. The 1st LP on Jennifer Hartman is really good, but "Spiderland" definately never did anything for. It kinda drew my ire for all the utter crap bands it spawned, but I definately can't blame Slint for that.
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 9:52 pm

Slint are the worst! Their ripoff bands are even worse than the worst! They should just fulfill their destiny of being used to sniff out IED's in Baghdad instead of playing their souless crap music. Good thing i'm not the Prez...
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 9:56 pm

Good thing i'm not the Prez...

No shit. A lotta things would be wiped off the face of the earth. But not me, right Joe? Right?
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 10:31 pm

I think Joe President just got a new nickname
Posted: Mar 17, 2007 10:35 pm

YAY! Joe President. I like the sound of that.
Posted: Mar 18, 2007 8:36 am

Just wanted to say that I really fucking love the Nips. Can't understand how anyone could think they're only "OK at best".
Posted: Mar 18, 2007 10:49 pm

A bunch of ugly, smartass, scumbag dudes with proto-punk tunes about hamburgers, getting drunk, and girls. That speaks to me, man! What's not to love?!?
Posted: Mar 18, 2007 10:51 pm

Not to mention some great melodies. Just listen to "I Live For Cars & Girls". GREAT melody! (Not to mention one of the greatest lines in rock'n'roll history - "Cars, Girls, Surfin', Beer / Nothin' else matters here!"
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 2:19 am

Is Kiss a hip/cool band? Should I like that crap?

One, maybe two goodish songs on a good day. Cool look and great marketing but really...
Posted: Mar 19, 2007 2:45 am

Blank Its

I got the "Johny's Tounge" 7" on Contaminated as a birthday present. I loved it. So much so, I bought the LP. I was glad to get it, but it didn't measure up to that one single.

I was totally nuts about the single they put out on their own and thought the Contaminated single was good too but the album didn't do a thing for me.
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 2:56 am

I'm not a Warren Zevon fan, per se, but "My Shit's Fucked Up" just spoke volumes to me
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 4:24 am

I'm not a Warren Zevon fan, per se, but "My Shit's Fucked Up" just spoke volumes to me

I never cared that much for him 'til I heard "Lawyers, Guns, & Money." That can speak volumes to anyone as well.
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 6:02 am

beatles
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 6:07 am

Supercharger....
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 6:23 am

and seriously....not the Dictators? Shernoff could right some fucking songs! Didn't you guys ever smoke weed or get laid in the back of a car? What's wrong with kids these days...I tell ya........
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 6:30 am

sorry...."write" some fucking songs....
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 6:21 pm

The Nips have a handful of cool songs but most of their shit is pretty meh. It's just there.

I really liked those Blank Its single but the LP is just alright...I never ever play it. Are they even still a band? Cause they really dropped the ball after the singles.
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 8:10 pm

The Nips have a handful of cool songs but most of their shit is pretty meh. It's just there.

Okay, I retract my not understanding of how someone could think they're "OK at best". I was drunk and listening to 'em when I posted that and got a little excited. Something about 'em just really does it for me, I guess. "Ghost Town" is a great song.
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 8:26 pm

Shernoff could right some fucking songs!

andy still writes some great songs
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 10:50 pm

You're right Theresa.....he never lost it as far as I'm concerned.....
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 10:51 pm

You're right Theresa.....he never lost it as far as I'm concerned.....
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 10:51 pm

whoops
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 10:52 pm

Way to go, triple poster!
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 10:54 pm

Any attention is good attention......
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 10:55 pm

Thats my motto. Works very well for me.
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 11:41 pm

rush tattoo...
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 4:51 am

The Fucken Pixies.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 3:01 pm

Clash = Reggae
Reggae Sucks.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 4:08 pm

i loathe the clash, the pogues and a million other hip/cool bands i should like.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 7:54 pm

I had to see KK & BBQ twice to realize they really suck.

New KK lp with the band sounds cool tho.
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®