Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / thanks fuckin giving
Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 12:44 am

so what's your feast look like?

we got:

a Turducken from John Madden's favorite place.
sweet potato souffle
green beans
oyster dressing
cranberry relish
cornbread
fancy salad

2 pumpkin pies, 2 pecan
lots of wine
booze
beer

pictures to follow.

creepydrifter
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 12:58 am

i was going to try my hand at doing a turducken, but the cash flow is down to a trickle right now with regards to all the birds and stuffing/dressing involved, so i'm sticking with 2 ducks: one with andouille sausage stuffing and the other stuffed with sliced oranges and apples and filled with german white wine. both will be smoked on the weber tomorrow. at last count about 30 people going to the dinner i'll be at and everyone is supposed to bring a side, but a brief run down so far: sour cream/cream cheese mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, one deep fried turkey, one 'regular' turkey, spiral cut ham, an ass load of deserts, and apps., etc etc...
high colonics at my place afterwards...
journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 1:05 am

no hot dogs?
Argh
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 1:18 am

I'm going to Thanksgiving with creepydrifter...maybe I should stop be vegetarian. Sigh.

I guess my boyfriend is making pecan pie.

I don't know what I'm making.

creepydrifter
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 1:42 am

norah, if you don't make anything, just bring LOTS of booze.
dropkick
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 1:59 am

Deep fried turkey. I can't imagine a dinner getting better than that. Some things you never think of, and they're there, right under your nose all along. Deep fried turkey.
Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 2:37 am

add BOUDIN BALLS to my list up there. nope, no hot dogs. I was contemplating making one of those hot dog crown roasts for a bit, but I think it's best to stay traditional.. namely the proud tradition of eating a chicken inside of a duck inside of a turkey.
moody prick
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 3:11 am

That would be Stagger and myself in the parking lot of the Telway on Michigan with tallboys and a sack of burgers.
sherman
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 3:21 am

I can't think of anything better to eat on thanksgiving in Memphis than a cozy corner smoked turkey. One of the greatest sights I've ever seen is them pulling the turkeys outta their smoker behind the counter.
Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 3:24 am

Andria gave me some leftovers from a cozy corner turkey last thanksgiving and I gotta say GOD DAMN! that was some good meat. I couldn't even wait to get back to new orleans to eat it; I scarfed it all down on I-55.
creepydrifter
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 3:43 am

yeah rich, DEEP FRIED!!!!
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 6:43 am

we had two deep fried turkeys at my office Thanksgiving party last Friday....it tasted like everything deep fried...like fucking Fried Chicken....we're having it again in another 3 weeks.
vanwinkle
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 6:47 am

muscadine wine....mmmm
compliments of "shorty", mr downhome liquor store owner.
fierydrunk
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 7:00 am

What is this hype on the Deep Fried Turkey???

Here's the dinner I'm at:

15 lb Turkey

Green Bean something or other with some fancy cheese (not the Durkee onion ring/cream of mush spectacular--wah!!!!)

2 trays of sweet cornbread stuffing (my contribution)

Homemade cranberry sauce

Two other dishes mentioned by my friend who is hosting that she "got from a gourmet mag"

Marijuana

Endless bottles of red wine

chriscrunch
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 7:03 am

I must be out of the loop... what the hell is a turducken?
journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 7:04 am

Deep fried trurkey rules, baby!
Get with it!
It's the heart-healthy alternative!
Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 7:52 am

turducken = turkey. stuffed with a duck. the duck is stuffed with a chicken. inbetween the birds is various kinds of stuffing and dressing.

john madden swears by em.

sherman
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 7:58 am

Is that compliments of Stoudamire, fiery?
dropkick
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 8:55 am

And just when I'm getting my head around a deep fried turkey, along comes the Turducken. Jesus!

We just don't eat turkey that often here. They cost about six times as much as a chook (dunno how it compares over there?) and you only ever see turkey cold cut for sandwiches.

But fuck it, get a pot big enough to deep fry a Turducken, whole. That would be the duck's nuts, so to speak.

andria
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 10:18 am

well, here i am down in LA (lower alabama) eatin' a regular old turkey this year -- although, chris, i did stop in at the cozy corner for 3 slabs of ribs for my dad, who told me not to bother coming down without em -- while there, i told the robinsons that if anyone failed to pick up a turkey, i'd buy it next week -- will letcha know what happens. had to keep the ribs in the trunk of my car for the 7 hr drive, and me and the dog were still salivating! ate a slab tonight with a pound of boiled shrimp on the side (louisiana surf and turf, baby!)

then today i found out my mama was gonna forego her usual cornbread stuffing bc the neighbor wanted to make her recipe, which is done in a crockpot! (she is a crackpot) i am only mildly embarrassed to admit that i made my mama drive me to winn-dixie so we could buy cornbread mix and sausage and make the stuffing ourselves (i refuse to be deprived of something so delicious that i only get once a year as it is) -- sauteed celery and onions, crumbled up 12 slices of wonder bread and a pan of cornbread, poured a buncha cans of chicken broth over it, stirred in a lb of cooked tennessee pride sausage and an egg, then baked it in a casserole dish. man, is it gonna be good tomorrow -- and after an hour of dictating to me in the kitchen, even mama admitted that she was damn glad we made it...

she did try to pull the wool over my eyes by taking a short cut on the potato salad (it aint hers if it doesnt have the chopped hard boiled eggs and the pickles) -- don't think i didnt notice!

yeah, i'm spoiled, but so what?

eric, i'm bring a pan of stuffing home for you to try. now how good would it be with zubi's chorizo???

happy thanksgiving, ya'll!

Argh
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 7:49 pm

whats a chook?
eric o
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 8:55 pm

family deep-fried a turkey a couple of weeks ago- great. crispy outside, juicy insides. plus, if you just plop the thing in there, the oil overflows onto the burner and the whole thing blows up. fantastic. if anyone tries the fried turdunken, let us know how it goes. sure would be a lot of work for naught if it went wrong.

andria- i'm not a big fan of stuffing but i'll try it. with chorizo, with portugese sausage, with whatever we come up with.

went to cozy corner for some ribs yesterday... scott rogers manlied a 4bone and a smoked sausage... 'twas punk rock pat and talbot's first time... talbot: "man, this place is great... ribs, and the Impressions on the radio..." yep.

that talbot is the greatest.

did you ever notice that mrs robinson has a pistol strapped to her back? she did yesterday! wild.

i blew it all yesterday: ate the cozy, rocked with the masters, saw a rooster walking down the middle of central ave, bowled a 196, and had a delicious lamplighter cheeeeeeseburger. that's the complete package right there.

today i feel like going shooting.

eric sparrow is a loser.

andria
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 9:38 pm

whoo! sounds like a real blow-out! a chicken walking down central ave? and you didnt CATCH it? yep, ms R has had that gun on her for awhile... she's like the big city version of that lady at the hwy 7 juke joint -- minus that talllll hair...

i just talked with zubi and the porch ghouls are celebrating at a denny's in ohio -- yuck!

my mama's on the phone with my brother and he is deep frying a turkey...

eric i am bringing some stuffing home so you can try it. as my mama's friend said yesterday "some people like wet bread, and some people don't."

did you get a plumley special at the lamp?
i will be home saturday....

ndray
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 10:32 pm

i am smoking crack stuffed with heroin and then wrapped in bacon

bacrackion!!!

eric o
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 10:45 pm

good to hear you are eating. too many of our crack and/or heroin aficionados have lost their appetites and wither away to the disgusting proportions of runway models and tv stars. thanksgiving is a day to celebrate with a bountiful feast, not to emulate our starving celebrities.

bacon will keep you alive.

FUCK IT
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 11:03 pm

SANTA HAS AIDS
dropkick
Posted: Nov 28, 2003 12:32 am

A chook is a chicken, in Australian.
journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 28, 2003 12:43 am

It's past tense.
Society Paige
Posted: Nov 28, 2003 2:37 am

Just had round one at mom's house, included everything on this list except the turkeyduckchicken thing, and am about to go try round two at dad's house. The only relief in sight is the 20 minutes it will take to drive to east memphis while round one settles.

Ugh

Assuming I can waddle out of my dad's house, is there ANYTHING to do tonight??? The only requisite is it must not involve any type of physical activity, whatsoever.

sugarpush
Posted: Nov 28, 2003 2:46 am

Eric, Nick, anybody...
anyone goin out for a post-family beer tonight? It's my first year home from NY for Turkey Day and although the food was AMAZING and I love these people dearly they are all nutballs and I've GOT to get outta here!!
andria
Posted: Nov 28, 2003 8:35 pm

Martel -- ya'll survive down there? we got pounded by plenty of wind and rain last night -- it came from your direction... how was thee meal? all that work, and after 45 minutes of eating we were face down in our plates! now it's leftovers, leftovers, leftovers!
ed oblivian
Posted: Nov 28, 2003 10:15 pm

We had dinner with friends Lori & Tim last night. Lori's dad came up from Baton Rouge and made Chicken with crawfish stuffing(amazing). I made a 12lb. bourbon glazed ham and key lime pie. Todd & Jamie brought great home made mac&cheese. I'll be eating ham sandwiches all week.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 28, 2003 11:06 pm

I think they only dropped the turkey on the floor 2 times yesterday! That has to be a new record.

Then my uncle got real angry that I drank all his expesive red wine....then I told him that my family was gonna host the Christmass party in a rented storage unit....then he realy got pissed off...and asked me if I pissed sitting down.....then we all sat around watchin Man With a Golden Gun.....it was great.

Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 29, 2003 4:10 am

Yeah Andria, it got pretty stormy here, no flooding though.

Turducken was/is awesome. The sausage stuffing gives you funny tasting burps though. We also had mashed potatoes, spinach casserole, macaroni and cheese, plenty of other appetizers. I'll have leftovers for weeks. By the time we ate I think everybody was pretty much wasted. there's a couple great pictures up at watchmeeatahotdog.com.

Mandible
Posted: Nov 29, 2003 5:02 am

My Wife and I made a regular oven-roasted turkey, but we injected it with a mixture of Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Garlic cloves and Lemon Zest. It was actually pretty good. Hey Dropkick, tell em about how you guys crack an egg over yer Pizza!

Cheers

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 29, 2003 7:30 pm

This morning I had a barbQ sandwich and some pumpkin pie with wipped cream piled on for breakfast.

I know I'm getting fatter because my too-tight boxers are starting to crush my nuts....I think I'll go in a diet in July.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 29, 2003 8:21 pm

Somebody should write a song about Thanksgiving and call it My Heart Hurts....and write in in a way that intellectuals will think it's about how dysfunctional human relations are.....but then have it realy be about how you ate so much shit that your about to have a heart's gonna explode!

I'm just trying to figure out what rymes with "Cholesterol".....I got it, Molester Oil!

michael bateman
Posted: Nov 29, 2003 8:48 pm

I've been enjoying the turducken burps. Reminds me of eating turducken.
jerry
Posted: Nov 29, 2003 9:31 pm

Best leftover bird recipe:

Turkey taquitos rolled up w/ green chile and onions (topped w/ lots of guac and sour cream).

nickg
Posted: Nov 29, 2003 9:44 pm

quote:
but we injected it with a mixture of Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Garlic cloves and Lemon Zest...

dude, do you have those flavor injectors that ron popeil gives away with his rotisserie oven? set it...and FORGET IT!!!!

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 29, 2003 9:46 pm

Jerry, what the hell is a "Turkey Taquito"....is it like, slabs of turkey used like a tostito? Or like Turkey flavored Tosttitos or what....althought Turkey and Guacamoli and Sour Cream does sound appetizing.
jerry
Posted: Nov 29, 2003 9:56 pm

Turkey, etc. rolled up in a corn tortilla and fried until crisp.

(good technique for a wide range of leftovers, mashed potatoes even worked out).

dropkick
Posted: Nov 30, 2003 12:13 am

Yeah you can get egg on pizza here. Whenever there's Aussie Pizza on the menu, egg will be #1 on the list. I don't go for that cracking an egg in the middle of the thing though. It's alright when they fry it, chop it up and spread it round.

Whenever they wanna Aussify someone else's food, they just add an egg to it. I have no idea how egg came to be our default national food. "Hey, none of you guys are using this thing? Right, it's ours!"

Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 30, 2003 12:39 am

can you get cane toads and/or whiskets on your pizza there?
dropkick
Posted: Nov 30, 2003 1:23 am

Yes, whiskets AND cane toads. Cane toads are great, specially with a skinful of pool chlorine. Only way to kill 'em.
Goubler
Posted: Nov 30, 2003 1:40 am

Greg gorgin' himself on ham till his heart explodes; for this, i give thanks, oh Lord.
kristen
Posted: Nov 30, 2003 4:04 am

nobody can top shags' fried oysters (thank you shags' boss for the top of the line gallon)!!we ate them all damn day and nite-along with lots of bad Arkansas wine- and of course an amazing turkey dinner he made us featuring oyster soup, jalapeno cornbread dressing, sweet potato grit somethin', blackeyed pea/cajun sausage surprise, turkey-shaggy style,etc... and my bourbon pumpkin cheesecake.
fierydrunk
Posted: Nov 30, 2003 4:44 am

You are making me cry, Kristen.

I got made fun of for describing Sweet Potato Casserole to a table full of Californians who had "no idea" what that was.

Mandible
Posted: Nov 30, 2003 5:44 am

Ron Popeil? I've never paid close enough attention to those ads to quite follow what your talking about, Nick. Perhaps I have ADD? Because I've certainly seen those commercials a lot.

Also, Dropkick, what about the Beet on the Hamburger thing? Don't go ordering a Hamburger with "the lot", my fellow Heart-disease Americans, you'll regret it. However, despite all of this, Austrailia actually has wonderful food (of all nationalities), and even more wonderful people, so I keed, I keed.

Argh
Posted: Nov 30, 2003 7:44 am

My friend got the Ronco rotissery, and when she tried to set it and FORGET IT!, the turning of the rotissery made a horrible whining noise the entire hour so she couldn't forget it. Plus she said it sounded like a small child screeching the whole time.
dropkick
Posted: Nov 30, 2003 10:05 am

Well I'm down with beetroot on burgers. Dunno 'bout grated carrot and mung beans though. McDonalds changed the McFeast to a McOz with the deft addition of one slice of beetroot, which I wasn't happy about.

I agree Mandible, we do have good food here. My take was that you can get good food in the US, you just gotta pay a bit extra to get what we take for granted. That said, the laundry list of what you lot do that we don't is heart-breaking: grits, turtle soup, turducken, bourbon pumpkin cheesecake... this is a country where ribs are almost non-existent.

Stagg Chili - that's the taste of America.

Argh
Posted: Nov 30, 2003 8:41 pm

What's a McFeast?
dropkick
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 12:17 am

Quiet, you.
andria
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 12:53 am

back in mempho now, heating up a pan of cornbread dressing. left mobile bay at 4:15 AM and pulled into memphis by 11 -- a great drive up the state of ms with dawn on the alabama side of the car and stars on the mississippi side... glad everyone had a good holiday!
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 2:53 am

TURDucken??? Should be called "CHIDUCKEY." You'se guys should not be scoffin' a bird with a "turd." Sixteene made this cran. sauce with crushed pineapple and walnuts that was kill-dozer. Doesn't anybody make leftover turkey-stuffing-cran.sauce sandwiches? They rule.
journeyfan007
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 3:19 am

Sandwiches are not atkins-diet friendly, man.
Womb Raider
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 3:41 am

yeah joe, I made some cranberry relish action too with satsumas and pecans, I love that shit

guess we should be sending all these recipes to eric

Talbot
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 7:25 pm

The Cozy Corner has the best ribs I've ever had. The Impressions, the different colored covers for the flourescent lights, that gun-toting granny who was so sweet at the counter. Man, why didn't I go earlier?
Thanks to Eric and Scott.

Also, I had the greatest Sweet Potato Casserole on Thanksgiving made by my sis.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Dec 1, 2003 10:11 pm

Argh it's funny that you should mention the Ronco Rotisory, becuase literaly 2 days ago, I bought the Ronco Food Dehydrater at Sams....I'm gonna fill everybodies stalkings with Christmass Beef Jerky!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®