Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Don't Slander Me Mama?
mika de sica
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 12:55 pm

Does anyone know where can I get these Roky tunes: Don't Slander me, Bermuda, Crazy Crazy Mama?...They're not on Evil One cd. I know they were produced by Stu Cook and are just as great as other songs from those sessions. My buddy has this lp titled "Don't Slander Me" but it's been long out of print.
mika de sica
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 1:09 pm

Don't Slander Me
Track listing

Don't Slander Me
Bermuda
Haunt
You Drive Me Crazy
Crazy Crazy Mama
Can't Be Brought Down
Nothing In Return
Starry Eyes
Burn The Flames
The Damn Thing

chriscrunch
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 3:15 pm

i don't know if these are on there, but norton records is releasing (or just released) a double lp/cd of outakes from "the evil one" sessions... so check out nortonrecords.com.
PCPeePee
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 6:28 pm

that cd's great, but if it's the same double i have, then those songs aren't on there. They played a few songs on wfmu of Roky doing these classic ballads and shit that were brilliant, i'd love to get ahold of them, anybody know what, where, how? Anyone? C'mon geeks, speak up!
Jason
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 6:44 pm

I got a sick live show from Baton Rouge 1982.
Good sound and all those songs are on it.... plus the other hits. I'll trade a cdr for something.

the new official roky site is pretty informative too.

http://www.rokyerickson.net/index.htm

journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 8:43 pm

I think a coupla those are on the "Return of the Living Dead" soundtrack, maybe...
Chris O
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 10:38 pm

I joined this group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TexasPsych/
about a year or so ago and since then have been able to trade or do burn-n-postage for pretty much every radio/B-Side/live show etc, probably at least 10 discs worth of stuff, Elevators & solo, plus lots of related Texas psych. For each disc, you send a $3 check to Sumner Erikson (Roky's brother/trustee) and I think around this time of year they do collections for Roky & Tommy Hall for Sear's or JC Penney gift certificates. There's a related Syd Barrett group as well.
zac
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 11:08 pm

Don't slander me and bermuda are on his greatest hits comp - pretty available everywhere. crazy crazy mama is on some bootleg or another - don't know which but it's one I don't have.

Far as the acoustic stuff goes - get Gremlins have Pictures which shows up on Ebay a lot and the never say goodbye CD that is all recordings his mom made while he was at the Rusk Mental Institute in the early 70s. If you need more at that point find the acoustic EP whose sleeve folds out into a creepy poster of Roky as a warlock, grab the australian (?) CD that came out a couple years back of roky at a coffee shop covering dylan and donovan tunes (also on the 3CD boxset of 13th floor elevators outtakes), and the Holiday Inn tapes LP that is on a french label and is roky playing songs to some guy at a holiday inn into a tape recorder. it has the singing grandfather on it: "the singing grandfather will... chop off your head, the singing grandfather will kill you dead."

Roky is the singing grandfather.

michael bateman
Posted: Nov 26, 2003 2:56 am

The best versions of "Don't Slander Me" and "Starry Eyes" came out on a 45 around '83 I think. I got it somewhere. Look around. You can probably find it for $5-10.
zac
Posted: Nov 26, 2003 7:50 pm

oops - forgot Demon Angel CD - which was ROky recorded in a cave for a european film crew... check out the movie too... CD has bloody hammer and movie has him playing Dylan in the backseat of a car. scary.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®