Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Iron Maiden...
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 4:05 pm

Last night at the Carbonas show I was trying to torture/educate our drummer about Iron Maiden by making various selections on the juke box. Some folks cleared out of the room, but I saw more than a handfull bobbing their heads and/or singing to the likes of Aces High and 2 Minutes To Midnight.
I know there are a few "purists" who insist that only the first album is good, however over time, I don't believe Bruce Dickinson gets enough credit. I'm not necessarily a big fan of Somewhere In Time and after, but if they ever came to town, I'd go see them.

On another note, I didn't realize the dudes from Gentleman Jesse were the same dudes from the Carbonas. Really, really good live, but the Carbonas were unstoppable. We made them play three more songs before they could leave the stage.
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 5:44 pm

sorry I missed that show.

but Robin, I love the Maiden -- in fact, I have that six CD box set, if you wanna burn it. don't break it out much except when Jason Craft and Matt Muscle come to town, and/or Louie. in 7th grade, I wrote a paper for mythology class about how Eddie was Prometheus (the whole chained-to-the-rock thing). i got a D, but that didn't stop me from bringing in my vinyl copy of "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" for poetry class the next semester...

while my first concert experiences were country music, I spent a lotta time from 7th-9th grade at metal shows, saw Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister, and Quiet Riot on one bill in ATL...
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 5:50 pm

That rules. And, yes. Yes, I would like to borrow that set sometime.
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 6:00 pm

God i hated Maiden in high school. Every bonehead with a jean jacket and an IQ of 70 loved 'em, but hey, i can kind of dig 'em now. I guess anybody who writes a song about The Prisoner can't be too bad. Bruce Dickinson also flys jets on humanitarian missions, so thats kinda cool too.
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 6:44 pm

Iron Maiden rules. Peice of Mind is one of the best records ever.
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 6:52 pm

I was supposed to go to see them on the "Somewhere In Time" tour back in '87, but I got my ticket ripped off. The fucker that stole my ticket traded it for six joints. Fucker! I'd seen the dude not too long ago, and am pleased to report that he is bald and fat...
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 6:56 pm

Bruce Dickinson also flys jets on humanitarian missions, so thats kinda cool too.

Yeah that was brilliant a few months back with the whole Brit evacuation of Lebanon. All we got was Sean Penn in a motorboat during Katrina.
And, from what I understand, he is some kind of championship fencer and archer, too.
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 7:08 pm

Bruce Dickinson also hosted a brief series about aircraft and a one-off documentary on spontaneous human combustion (think Discovery channel stuff). I've only seen the latter but he did a really good job.
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 7:14 pm

spontaneous human combustion

WHOAH!!!

Who knew? Thanks, Bucket!
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 7:23 pm

Every bonehead with a jean jacket and an IQ of 70

....went to the blackout and will be at gonerfest. maiden rules.
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 7:24 pm

I totally advocate the Paul Di'Anno stuff, some of which is more full on punk than it is metal, especially if you can find a live recording. I do confess that I haven't listened to them in ages. When I saw Skunk on their 1st tour, they played "Wrathchild". The 2nd time I saw them, they didn't have the 2nd guitar player & couldn't do it. I kinda gave up on them after Piece of Mind & I saw them on that tour with Toronto's Coney Hatch & the Fast Eddie Clark/Pet Way outfit, Fastway.

The Toledo Sports Arena is where I cut my teeth on rock 'n' roll shows from 1979 (Kiss) to 1985 (George Thorogood).
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 7:27 pm

Oh yeah, one other thing...

WE ARE NOT AN ENGLISH ROCK BAND!!!

WE ARE DENTAL FLOSS SALESMEN FROM MONTANA!!!
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 7:38 pm

I brought a live concert video of Maiden playing "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" to class in 10th grade English and the teacher let us watch it...that was pretty cool. I love me some Maiden but after Powerslave, my interest wanes.

Also my 10th grade Spanish teacher would let us bring ANY records with a latin/hispanic connection to play in class...I played Slayer "Necrophiliac"...you know 'cause Tom Araya is from Chile. I bet I am the only person who ever played that song in class at CBHS.
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 8:13 pm

dude, we totally had some Rime of the Ancient Mariner action in my 10th grade english class too (but i wasnt responsible for bringing the lp - it was my stoner buddy with a jean jacket and IQ of 70. i was more into Priest
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 8:31 pm

If Iron Maiden comes to town and you sort of dig 'em, definitely go. I saw them a few years ago and they were just as good as any of their videos. Niko McBrain thrashed as well, one of my favorite drummers. To top it all off, the bill was Dio, Motorhead and Iron Maiden. Pretty solid show in my book.

Iron Maiden rules. Peice of Mind is one of the best records ever.

I agree and I don't hear this too often.
Posted: Mar 12, 2007 11:24 pm

Man, when I got to 10th grade poetry my teacher already knew about 'Rime' from previous classes--what a classic. It seems like many people gave up on them with 'Somewhere In Time' but that's the last one I like--'Seventh Son' is just shit. I just borrowed this double dvd called The History of Iron Maiden Part One:The Early Days from a friend and it's amazing--extensive interviews with every member of the band (there were many prior to the the Piece Of Mind lineup that stayed plus Janick til today) on the complete history of Maiden and full shows from '80, '82, '83 and even a show at the local pub where they cut their teeth--the whole thing is quality viewing for a real Maiden fan and highly recommended. And the next cover Bear Proof Suit learns is gonna be 'Prowler'.

-Ryan
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 12:00 am

this is odd. i spent this saturday morn watching an iron maiden doc (soundhouse tapes thru powerslave) and then p'd up that gentlemen jesse 45 (along with hipshakes lp) later that very day at the candy shop.

i was a fan up thru somewhere, and picking up again with brave new world. saw them 4 times, world piece, world slavery, somewhere on tour, and brave new world tours. god the mutants came out of the woodwork for that last one! guess that includes me too.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 12:23 am

Thanks, Dutchman. I think I'm going to look for that DVD set; it sounds cool as fuck.

As for the Smoewhere In Time dropoff, I think it mainly had to do with me starting in on punk about a year before. That, and isn't it Piece of Mind that they were all "Fuck synthesizers" in the liner notes? And then Somewhere had Synth all over it....

Looking back, it wasn't THAT bad. I had it and "Alexander the Great" helped me pass a history test in High School later on.

And yeah, if they EVER came to Memphis, I'd try my damnedest to be first in line for tickets.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 3:20 am

Jack, that double dvd just came out in '04 so it should be around. Funny about the synth thing--I always think about that line on 'Piece of Mind', too! NO SYNTHSIZERS OR ULTERIOR MOTIVES--I figured I'd put that on some record I put out some day. I just rented 'Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' the other night--it's a British movie from '62 about this juvenile delinquent kid who gets busted and sent to reform school where he's the champion cross-country runner--pretty decent flick if you can wade through the accents.

-Ryan
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 7:09 pm

And the next cover Bear Proof Suit learns is gonna be 'Prowler'.

"Prowler" rules. Always wanted to have a band named after it.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 5:13 am

I think 7th Son is probably my favorite Maiden album.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 5:19 am

Really?
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 7:19 am

I like 7th Son a lot too, even though it was when they started to try to sound all futuristic and stuff.

Powerslave is my favorite Maiden album. "The Duellists" is a great song.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 1:16 pm

Can't deal with metal, I was mebbe the only person ever to be a writer at Kerrang! who didn't like any of it... bound to end in tears, it was...
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 5:21 pm

Can't deal with metal, I was mebbe the only person ever to be a writer at Kerrang! who didn't like any of it... bound to end in tears, it was...

you wrote for Kerrang! and didnt like metal.

thats like posting on the Goner board and not liking shitty wannabe punk bands.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 5:30 pm

7th son SUCKS

Each Maiden album is at best half-good

so many shitty songs...pretty much every one in a major key

but some pretty righteous ones, too
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 7:01 pm

Iron Maiden was one of my favorite bands growing up. I don't see the distinction between the various types of heavy music, and Maiden (along with a long list of metal bands) were every bit as exciting and high energy as punk/HC in the 1980's. I learned bass playing Steve Harris riffs.

The first singer was awesome, an absolute balls-out, punk influenced maniac, but Bruce did take them to the next level musically. Piece of Mind and Number of the Beast were my faves.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 7:06 pm

jack, i got the rock in rio dvd i can hook you up with next time i see you
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 7:08 pm

Metal Rules, all that punk shit sucks, Madonna's a dick.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 11:18 pm

"The Duellists" is a great song.

god yes
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:04 am

hahaha

Steve Harris is an AWESOME bassist...great tone, too

plus he wrote all the music
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 5:42 am

jack daniels and coke, what else?

and this classic:

timmy loved judas priest!

looking back, i meant to type 9th grade as when i did the prometheus/eddie comparison...
Posted: May 2, 2012 2:20 pm

Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson opens aircraft business at St Athan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17906058
Posted: May 3, 2012 8:46 am

brucedickinsonissuperhuman.tumblr.com
Posted: May 3, 2012 10:09 am

thats like posting on the Goner board and not liking shitty wannabe punk bands.

Can't believe I missed the irony of this statement 5 years ago.
Posted: May 3, 2012 11:33 am

Janick Gers must die. He is superfluous and floats around stage like a bad fart.

Maiden = Lizzy worship
Posted: May 3, 2012 12:01 pm

I was wondering how long it would take for people to get it.
Posted: May 3, 2012 7:42 pm

Five years.
Posted: May 3, 2012 8:51 pm | Edited by: Wire

Now imagine posting on Goner and not even being in a shitty wannabe punk band
Posted: May 3, 2012 9:00 pm

what if you're a punk in a wannabe shitty band?
Posted: May 3, 2012 9:01 pm

Wannabe...that's in Australia, right?
Posted: May 9, 2012 12:06 am

Maiden= one of the best metal bands ever
Posted: Mar 16, 2013 1:27 am

Posted: Mar 16, 2013 1:48 am

Clive took a test sip and keeled over dead.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®