Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / So I Saw The Pogues Last Night ...
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 6:29 pm

My ticket was a bday gift from a friend. Actually put on a damn good show. Played 3 encores. Didn't play Fairytale of NY. But did play some good gems. Shane actually appeared sober. Band sounded great. And the highlight was Shane was wearing a flowered Hawaiian shirt, that made him look a bit like Jimmy Buffet, actually. That unnerved me a little, so I just had another Gunniess and laughed.

All in all, it was a good show. They are playing again in Chicago tonight, at Congress Theater, for those thinking about it.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 7:59 pm

That sounds Terrible!
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 2:07 am

Went to see them last year and really liked it. Shane was as lucid as he gets, and I had a blast. The place ran out of Jameson, and it was a big place.
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 2:26 am

My wife and I are going to Cincy on St. Patty's Day to see Rev Horton Heat and The Tossers, another of those Irish ballad/punk concoctions. You being from Chicago, and knowing of The Pogues, I'm sure you can appreciate the fact that I'm Irish and am seeing Chicago Southside's Duggins on St. Pat's Day. We're pretty excited. I predict beer.
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 4:33 am

I just saw the Pogues a few months ago in Dublin. It was wild- Shane's still got it!
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 1:21 pm

While listening to the Pogues, I've been told at least 4 times in my life "they sound a lot like Flogging Molly" or "if you like this you should listen to Flogging Molly". I've never heard a Flogging Molly song, and I hope I never do.
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 3:18 pm

I've never heard a Flogging Molly song, and I hope I never do.

I have and you don't.
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 3:34 pm

This post has reminded me of all the fun sure to happen on my block as the American Irish of the Greater New Orleans area make their yearly visit to the Irish Channel. The only thing could possibly be worse was if the area was nicknamed the Italian Channel.
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 3:42 pm

That sounds Terrible!

I've seen Shane in the past where he was so drunk, the only thing supporting him was the mike stand, he forgot all the lyrics, throwing up on stage, and had to end the show after 30 mins. Though on Monday night he looked relatively sober, and was wearing a tropical flower shirt, it was nice to see a great performance from him. He was into it, having fun, dancing around, and played almost 2 hours. It was a fun show.
Posted: Mar 8, 2007 12:24 am

I once watched a completely wasted Shane try to buy cigarettes from a pub jukebox. For, like, half an hour. He wouldn't listen to -or couldn't understand- anyone who tried to steer him two feet to the left, where the actual cigarette machine was.
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 7:10 am

Wow, saw the Tossers Sunday night in Dayton, OH, and I must say, I and my wife were duly impressed (again). We drove to Cincy Saturday night for the St. Patty's show with the Tossers/Murder By Death/Rev. Horton Heat and found out the Tossers had flown to NY to play the Roseland with The Pogues for St. Patty's Day. We were SERIOUSLY disappointed even though the Rev. was incredible, as usual, so we decided to also head to Dayton for the Sunday show and hopefully see the full lineup there, which we did.

I talked to Tony Duggins in between sets and he said their Roseland show with The Pogues was the gig he'd waited his whole life for. They had played in front of 4200+ and he was pretty stoked. Shane had fallen at a show in the past week or so and torn ligaments in his knee prompting his "toadie" to push him around the stage in a wheelchair, a sight Tony described as "sublime" and hilarious. Tony was ranting and pretty hammered (imagine that) but I think the story he was trying to tell me was that the wheelchair driver had had enough of Shane bossing him around by the end of the show so he ran him around the stage and then dumped him into the crowd when their set ended. Sounds like a St. Patty's Day gig to remember.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®