Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / storing your crap
chriscrunch
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 7:56 pm

okay, kind of a geeky question, but...
i'm sure everyone on here has a zillion lps, cds, 7"s, videotapes, whatever. how do you store and organize all this crap? so you can actually find records went you want to listen to them and so you don't clutter up your whole place and piss off your roomates, girlfriend, whatever.
do you organize cds/lps in categories or just slap 'em all together?
somaparty
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 8:11 pm

#, a, b, c, d, e
somaparty
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 8:11 pm

it sort of trails off after "e" though
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 10:00 pm

I keep all the cd's in about 6 piles a little over a half foot high....I keep their cases in a garbage bag in storage.

I keep the records in about 5 milk crates and just have them memorized....from most favorites to least favorites.....when I don't know what I want to listen too, I go digging, and if I find anything I bump it to the top of the list for awhile.

Rev_Dan
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 10:43 pm

I've been organizin' my girlfriend and I's music over the last few days. I've been writin' 'em down and typin' a list of 'em as well. I've got them goin' a-z no catagories except the various artists. The list will help me know where to find the shit when we're lookin' for it or at least keep track of what we have already and stuff we need to buy. Speakin' of which, I wanna buy "Black Wave" by Lost Sounds on vinyl... Got a copy layin' around for me???
razor a go go
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 11:14 pm

CDs are in a little bookcase made for CDs, alphebetized. Records are in milk crates, also alphabetized, from 12 to 10 to 7. I need to look in to other storage options, though, the milk crates are not working out so well nowadays.
eric o
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 11:21 pm

got BLACK WAVE for ya... 14.00 postage paids double lp.

file under L.

fierydrunk
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 11:32 pm

I have a handmade glass-topped record shelf (thanks Joe) and everything is alphabetized with lil strips of carboard sticking out with letters and/or genre on them as dividers (thanks Joe).

CDs are on the floor in big vintage suitcases, spines out.

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 11:39 pm

I have records strewn about in reckless abandon and CD's stacked atop the tv,desk and computer.. scratched and covered in meat byproduct.

Were it not for the advent of MP3.. I wouldn't have the means to listen to anything.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 11:51 pm

How do you store your mixed tapes and cassettes in general, that's what I want to know....I got 3 milk crates full....fuckin 20 melted to the floor board of my car.
smartypants
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 11:56 pm

albums are in crates by favorites.
cds are alphabetized by genre in several of those zippered binder things. not sure how i'm liking this system, however. it was project during the windstorm balckout. i jackets are filed with each cd, but the case is so freaking heavy that it's a pain to flip thru. i think i'm stuck with it, tho. i've tossed all my jewel cases. ho hum.
Clint
Posted: Nov 18, 2003 12:10 am

Ya know, officially organizing your record collection is the last step in becoming a complete "obesessive record collector"... That's why I'm rebelling agin it... My 5000+ records/CD's/tapes are kinda just in random order(they're stored in three big bookcases)... Before I moved, I had 'em catergorized into the "good section" and the "bad section", but I don't even have that any more. So yeah, basically, I can't find shit... Although, the 60 gigs worth of stuff on my computer is pretty neat and tidy...
Argh
Posted: Nov 18, 2003 12:50 am

My paltry selection of cds is in a drawer in a hutch build into the wall. My seven inches are in Coke crates on a bookshelf, as are my ten inches. My lps are alphabetized in five wooden wine crates and two really cool old lp holders my dad found for me, which also serve as a tv stand and a table. Oh and one of those shitty wire ones too.
Rev_Dan
Posted: Nov 18, 2003 1:06 am

Eric, I'll be takin' one off of ya.... I'll paypal it next week....
creepydrifter
Posted: Nov 18, 2003 2:42 am

my vinyl usually goes 'into storage' at reckless records when i'm really broke. now's about that time.
PaddyBullocks
Posted: Nov 18, 2003 6:26 am

you dont wanna know where i put my 10"s
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 18, 2003 7:08 am

I was never comfortable collecting records when I was living on my own....for one my spoiled ass roomate would abuse all my shit, and besides that making rent was too much of a bitch....now I mostly collect music gear, and it's a real bitch finding a place for that shit too...I'm a basement lifer.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 18, 2003 7:17 am

I used to collect books too...I already took them over to the new house.....I got a couple hundred on shelves in my bedroom....up stairs is my library, down stairs is my studio....I couldn't move out if I fuckin wanted too....but I'm gonna start taking more road trips....I like to go out and have a good time, knowing I got a warm, safe place to Greyhound back too and lick my wounds.
Chubby Asian
Posted: Nov 18, 2003 6:05 pm

I use space bags, in alphabetical order. Cd's , and records all in one bag.
SAMBEAUX
Posted: Nov 18, 2003 7:17 pm

regarding cd storage:
I put all my cds in caselogic dbl sided "Prosleeves"(tm) -available for like 100 bucks per 500 sleeves or maybe 150 for 1000. An ex-girlfriend turned me onto them and they save soooo much space (like 1/6th the space or less even), you can put the cd in the front pocket and the "j-card" and booklet in the back pocket. I've ordered them online quite a few times and caselogic.com is really good about customer service and exchanges for the "right" product.
http://www.casedirect.com/product_detail.asp?UID=2003111811151077&T1=CAS+2PFR+500&menu=06

I keep these little sandwiches in a couple of wooden wines crates (you can usually get them for free at liquor stores) in rows of three (probably about 400 cds to a box). I set them up vertically, put shelves in them, bolted them back to back and put rollers on the bottom so I can roll the unit around my hardwood floors and spin it in place. Everything is alphabetized a-z with all the comps at the end (I couldn't bear to put them under "various" like some sort of ocd choad).

7"s also stored in wine crates, single row, comps and splits at ends. LPs are stored in a custom-built, unfinished, 5 cube tall tower built by Big Fish Furniture of Chicago (nice, affordable stuff, 63rd st?). For really cheap adjustable record shelving, some friends of mine use the "GORM storage system" from Ikea:
http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&categoryId=10760&langId=-1&parentCats=10104*10173*10760&cattype=sub
Which would make you a complete fag.

My friend seth swears you should always file splits by the better band, easy for Charles Bronson 7"s, but what about the Short Hate Temper/Slight Slappers 12"?

Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 18, 2003 7:40 pm

For my CDs I have two 200 capacity case logic books, one for comps/mix CDs and one for albums. the albums are in a-z order (space them out over the entire book otherwise you're gonna have to shift everything around everytime you get a new CD) this is not my preferred way to store CDs, but it was necessary when I did a radio show to have everything portable. records I keep on a bookshelf in no discernable order.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 18, 2003 8:01 pm

Teengenerat/Bum...filed under bum...that way I'll be pleasently surprised.
dropkick
Posted: Nov 18, 2003 11:31 pm

Gotta have em in a's and b's for me or I'll never find 'em, nothing more than that though otherwise I can never be fucked refiling them and they line up on the floor across the room.

Reminds me, did I lend any of you guys "Inside my Brain"? It had the original VOM 7" inside it too. Can't find it anywhere.

journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 19, 2003 7:54 am

I built a bedframe out of really fucking heavy particle board. The bottom part is divided into compartments that hold all my records (good on one side, bad on the other that's harder to get to). It works great although it's really uncomfortable (I usually pass out on the floor anyway). Only problem is it's too fucking heavy to move and I built in in the room where it resides. I measured it the other day while packing my stuff and sure enough, it won't fit through the door. Because I am a reatard when it comes to planning.
Robby G
Posted: Nov 19, 2003 1:41 pm

I have a maximum of 50 lps and 50 cds at home. If I get more I sell or give away whatever I haven't listened to for a while. You can only play so much, right...? And this way I either know where the record is or it only takes 1 minute to find it.

Record collectors...
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 19, 2003 7:18 pm

Hey Journeyfan, you gave me a pretty good idea. I'm going to build some particle board boxes for all my music to fit under my bunk beds...like I used to store all my GI Joe and Star Wars figures when I was a kid!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®