Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Geico Caveman may get sitcom
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 3:56 pm

Geico's Cavemen May Get Own TV Series
AP
NEW YORK (March 2) - Those Geico "cavemen" shouldn't be so upset after all - they may get their own television series. ABC said Friday it had ordered a pilot for a comedy, tentatively titled "Cavemen," that features the characters used in a series of ads by the insurance company.

In the ads, cavemen appear insulted by a Geico pitchman's claim that the company's Web site is so easy to use that "even a caveman can do it."

The potential series, one of 14 pilots that will be produced by Touchstone Television this spring, features the cavemen as they "struggle with prejudice on a daily basis as they strive to live the lives of normal thirty-somethings in 2007 Atlanta."

It's unusual for characters from an advertising campaign to move into shows of their own, but not unprecedented. The CBS comedy "Baby Bob" featured a talking baby that had been used in several advertisements, according to Daily Variety.

The advertising copywriter who helped create the "cavemen" ads is writing the pilot, the studio said.

A pilot order is no guarantee a show will make it on the air; in fact, the majority of pilots don't make it that far.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 5:55 pm | Edited by: CreepySexyCool

struggle with prejudice on a daily basis in 2007 Atlanta

Hmmm.... Maybe they should use the Geico Silverbacks instead ....
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 6:15 pm

I thought the ads were funny at first, but come on...
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 8:57 pm

I won't watch it.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 9:33 pm

I'll watch it but I won't like it.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 10:05 pm

all that advertorial stuff is much funnier as a short format, and as comic relief within another program... when will they ever learn?

hardly anything can or will match the success of the simpsons, which if you are old enough to remember, began as a little cartoon segment in the tracey ullman show.
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 9:01 pm

For some reason, the girl & I don't mind the cavemen. In fact, the ad with the therapist is kinda funny. So is the one in which the "Counterpoint" bitch accuses him of getting up on the wrong side of the rock.
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 9:40 pm

I'll watch it to give it a shot (my fave is the one on the airport moving sidewalk), but I have a feeling that especially because it is something ABC is involved with, it will really stink.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 2:00 am

"... but i have a feeling that especially because it's something ABC is involved with,it will really stink."

Just like that show w/the dinosaurs called "Dinosaurs",so it will be w/ these "Cavemen".

They oughta do a sitcom starring that guy from the infomercials that dresses like The Riddler- by "they" i mean anyone but ABC of course.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 2:17 am

I remember the Simpsons on Tracy Ullman, but I also remember it kinda sucking back then. That's an example of something that was better expanded, really.

Actually I still don't like The Simpsons that much. Take away my citizenship.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 3:54 am

Didn't spuds Mckenzie get a show? Oh wait, that was AIR BUD! That mut got a freakin MOVIE!!!!
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 6:59 pm

i'd rather watch Tiny House
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 7:05 pm

Tiny House would be sweet.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 7:19 pm

Actually I still don't like The Simpsons that much. Take away my citizenship.

I, I, me too!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®