Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / new movies?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 11:34 am

going to see "Zodiac" later this afternoon. The same director that gave us "Panic Room", "Fight Club" and "Seven" - David Fincher - also directed music vids like Madonna's "Vogue"

I wonder if that Zodiac Killer Lowery will be taking in a matinee?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 11:42 am

Zodiac

The 1st letter that guy sent to the SF paper was used at the cover of the 1st Unsane 45. I think Chris Spencer's uncle worked for the paper & got them the copy of the letter.

A few interesting things coming up...

Reno 911 is out
300 is next Friday (3/9)
Fantastic Four's Silver Surfer movie is out in June. (Trailer looks awesome!)
The Simpsons movie is due in July.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 2:15 pm

I am going to see Zodiac. I hope it doesn't let me down.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 2:18 pm

Zodiac Killer Lowery

I got the full Zodiac tour from Greg, and it really is something to see.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 2:56 pm

Black Snake Moan out today! Saw Factory Girl last night... not so bad but not so great... ehh
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:05 pm

What were your thoughts on trashy Sienna Miller as Edie?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:19 pm

I've been looking forward to Zodiac forever. Seeing it tonight.

For fans of David Fincher, there's a good, lengthy interview with him from Esquire here.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:38 pm

A friend of mine saw a preview screening of Zodiac last night and said it was great. I was kind of sceptical because Fight Club was embarrassingly awful (and extremely gay - not that there's anything wrong that), but my buddy's got good taste and he said Zodiac was awesome.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:48 pm

Fight Club was embarrassingly awful

What the...? Completely disagree. I thought it and Seven are Fincher's best. Oh, and the Game, which I loved but no one saw. Boondock Saints, now that's a pile of horseshit. My top three must-sees are Zodiac, 300, and muthafuckin' GRINDHOUSE!!!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:50 pm

Boondock Saints

possibly the worst movie ever made
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:51 pm

the Game, which I loved but no one saw.

I saw it and loved it.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:00 pm

Black Snake Moan for sure this weekend. Going to see 300 on Tuesday...maybe Zodiac next weekend.

GRINDHOUSE IS GONNA RULE!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:14 pm

Fight Club was embarrassingly awful

I agree here...bigtime. Chuck whatever his last name is is a total and complete hack. Do like Edward Norton though but felt ultra sorry for him in Fight Club.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:58 pm

Zodiac looks dumb, just like all the other movies that guy made, which were awful.

Black Snake Moan is totally where it's at. I'll be seeing it in conjunction with Reno 911 tonight.
Norbit looks fucking hilarious!!

And, lastly, I am very sad to see Martin has sold out. You not so crazy anymore.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:01 pm

Martin has sold out.

in other news:
the black lips are putting out a live cd. no details on a vinyl release
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:03 pm

The black lips are a drop in the bucket compared to the cultural legacy of Martin.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:43 pm

What is that movie? Wild Hogs? \"The comedy event of the decade?\"

I am a sucker for the Zodiac story. I\'ll go see it. I even liked the Cold Case files on the Zodiac. I like Robert Downey Jr. now too and I used to like Mark Ruffalo and Jake Gyllenhaal (sheepish admission there). All my movie crushes over this decade in one film! Wha?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:45 pm

cultural legacy of Martin
you're right, i'll always get to hear some asshole shout "daaaaaaaamn gina"
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:47 pm

Damn. Might have to go see Zodiac in Chicago tomorrow or Sunday. Any cockhomos up for it?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:51 pm

YES!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:51 pm

sunday noonish show after brunch prehaps?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:52 pm

Any cockhomos up for it?
YES!
...nah, too easy...
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:55 pm

OH, I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT A DUMB OLE MOVIE!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:32 pm | Edited by: Dave B

Zodiac looks dumb, just like all the other movies that guy made, which were awful.

Ack! Ok, LisaLisa and Millionaire are on my team. Saint sarah, Saispas and Eric H are not. Please excuse us while we do mountains of blow in the bathroom.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:36 pm

Lowery supposedly has a cameo according to the editor in chief of terminal boredom.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:53 pm

LisaLisa and Millionaire are on my team. Saint sarah, Saispas and Eric H are not.
i'll be the kid who keeps getting in the way when you guys do a full court press
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:57 pm

I was the MVP of my seventh grade team...LOOK THE FUCK OUT!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:00 pm

MVP of doing mountains of blow in the bathroom?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:18 pm | Edited by: stealth387

Everyone complains about movies being unoriginal these days, but this is too much. I saw a trailer for a film titled "Next", starring Nicholas Cage. It's about how he can live the same moment several times and try to change the events. I saw another trailer the other day with Sandra Bullock where she lives the same week over again, this time she lives the days in different orders. Not too long ago there was a movie where a guy lives a day over and he has to stop a ship from exploding. Then there was that recent TV show, "Day Break" on ABC. I've only seen the trailers for these programs but I'm pretty sure this premise has been done to death with Bill Murry's "Groundhog Day". People are making money off of this trash.
Sorry for ranting.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:27 pm

It's true. Hollywood's recycling ideas now more then ever. There were those two Truman Capote movies last year. There was also a zodiac killer movie called 'The Zodiac' in 2005. They keep playing it on Showtime now. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371739/
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:28 pm | Edited by: jerryd

Boondock Saints

possibly the worst movie ever made

I don't know about that. You ever seen a little movie called St. Elmo's Fire?

All joking aside, I hate that movie more than anything else I've ever seen.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:30 pm

All joking aside, I hate that movie more than anything else I've ever seen.

Jerryd's on the team!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:33 pm

Ever see Overnight...the story of the guy that wrote and directed it... it makes me feel good knowing that he got his in the end.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:36 pm

I love Overnight, and I love knowing that fucking asshole didn't make a dime off the video/dvd sales.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:53 pm

i hate battlefield earth and my girl
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 12:53 am

I don't know about that. You ever seen a little movie called St. Elmo's Fire?

That scene where Rob Lowe saves Demi Moore from her coke and cutting binge with a can of hairspray and a lighter is genius.

Rob Lowe's sax scene is also stellar. He basically rules in that movie.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 12:59 am

Garbage Pail Kids is playing at Clinton St Theater.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 12:59 am

Worst movie ever - Weekend at Bernie's 2.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:01 am

Worst brat pack movie ever:

The Breakfast Club
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:04 am

Best brat pack movie - Goonies. Or is that brat pack? WTF is brat pack again?
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:15 am

Goonies is the BEST! But not brat pack. To be a brat pack you had to have some conglomeration of these "actors".
Andrew McCarthy, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy, and a couple more I'm sure I'm forgetting.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:35 am

Did Ferris Buehler sort of qualify? It was borderline, but yeah, not bonafide brat pack.

Best brat pack acting performance Oscar:

James Spader in Pretty in Pink...otherwise a SHIT movie.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:44 am

otherwise a SHIT movie

How can you say such a thing?!?! "Blane?! His name is Blane?! That's a major appliance, that's not a name!" ~Duckie
I love, love, love that movie. I wanted a pink Karman Ghia..
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:45 am

But James Spader is fucking awesome. And if it was up to me, Ferris Bueller would be king of the brat pack..... But the brat pack gods have not given him a membership card.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:47 am

I hated looking at that guy that played Duckie. I mean, it physically hurt to look at that dude. I also was never a fan of Molly Ringwald and had also reached a level of awful bitchy cynicism that still marks the worst and best of my personality by the release date of this film...I was "beyond" it.

But I was hot for "Steff"...you know, cos he was an asshole.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:49 am

Does Less Than Zero count as brat pack? I am gonna rent every Robert Downey Jr movie; I am in love with him after his self-referential Oscar Night drug abuse quip.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:50 am

Jon Cryer has turned out to be a total douche, but I thought he was great as Duckie. And I could never understand why Molly would choose Blane rather than Duckie. Still think I'm right about that one.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:51 am

OH! FUCK YEAH! How dare I forget about Robert Downey Jr.?! He really IS the king of the brat pack. And the only one worth paying attention to at this late date. I believe Molly Ringwald was just here doing some musical?! Do I remember that correctly? Cause it seems WRONG.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:55 am

Hell, Molly should have chosen STEFF! He wanted her anyway...her rejection was the reason he lied about her to old alkie loser Andrew McCarthy!!!!

Yeah, she was in Portland looking none too good in something like Auntie Mame or some shit!
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 3:00 am

Yeah, she was in Portland looking none too good in something like Auntie Mame or some shit
I saw her up her doing "summer stock" and "I'd do her"
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 4:12 am

Final saw The Lives of Others - great film, recommended
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 4:13 am

finally
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 6:15 am

Black Snake Moan was good, could possibly have been great if it didn't have the Hollywood sheen on it- I mean is it necessary to have fucking Justin Timberlake in a movie (who incidentally did a respectable job). Samuel L Jackson's voice was poor compared to RL's on Alice Mae. I like Christina Ricci in her underpants, she still has nice cans even with the super skinny Hollywood look going on in this movie.
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 7:34 pm

Awesome NEW silver surfer trailer just out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfilLgPB5Sk
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 8:00 pm

Zodiac is awesome.

Only about six more weeks until Hot Fuzz!
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 8:17 pm | Edited by: saispas

Breach was very slow. Not bad, just not that great. Shattered Glass was much more interesting.
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 8:41 pm

Here is the new silver surfer extended trailer.
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 9:10 pm

James Spader is fucking awesome

He is.....in real life Molly Ringwald would still be banging him, lol
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 9:41 pm

Isn't Spader on some two bit lawyer comedy these days?
Posted: Mar 4, 2007 11:22 pm

you're a lawyer comedy
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 2:25 am

I can dream.
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 3:11 am

Isn't Spader on some two bit lawyer comedy these days?
Boston Legal is actually funny
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 4:03 pm | Edited by: Dave B

Zodiac was okay. The scene at the lake was fucked up, but that sucker draaaaaaaaaged. What was it, three hours? Robert Downey Jr., though, was awesome. Good, but I don't want to see it again or nothin'.
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 5:16 pm

Agreed, Dave B. It was overlong. But I enjoyed the hell out of it. I liked the 70s kind of washed out look of it and there were lots of cool shots. Downey really was awesome. Don't see acting like that in mainstream movies much anymore.

Saw Lives of Others last night. That was really well made but I thought it'd be darker. Felt sort of contrived at the end. Plus the guy sitting next to me had major b.o. which he tried to cover up with cologne, so I just wanted to run out the door and puke the whole time.
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 5:19 pm

Has anyone seen "300"?
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 8:16 pm

But I enjoyed the hell out of it. I liked the 70s kind of washed out look of it and there were lots of cool shots.

Totally. I was never bored, but the storytelling could have been tighter. Really dug the visual aspects (especially the Transamerica Building construction montage), but I'm a fan of '70s San Francisco and he just nailed that!
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 10:50 pm

Boston Legal is actually funny

But you are an attorney. I am sure my attorney mom thinks it is just precious as well.
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 10:57 pm

what is it with the 3 hour movie lately. damned peter jackson...
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 11:06 pm

But you are an attorney. I am sure my attorney mom thinks it is just precious as well.
Nothing to do with it, as the show is horribly unrealistic. It's just kinda funny and silly, because William Shatner shacks up with dwarves and shit.
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 11:08 pm

DWARVES????

Maybe I do need to see this.
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 11:54 pm

Reno 911 was great. just like watching a gigantic TV play 90 minutes of uninterrupted TV comedy.

I was thinking about seeing that Black Snake Moan movie, but then it occurred to me that it might be terrible. Anyone seen it?
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 12:33 am

c'mon Chris, Craig Brewer fed your alcohol habit for a night. you owe him the $6 admission! I like BSM, but I worked on it so my opinion hardly counts.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 12:34 am

Reno 911 is next for us; I don't think I'll be able to get Ryan to see Zodiac...he doesn't believe the director has "changed".

I also cannot buy into the "visionary" status for Black Snake Moan. Just call the shit what it is ,if it is any good: Trash!

Question: Did anyone in here buy into M.E.M.P.H.I.S. Pimp (I seriously had to think about the name for a minute, so that is what you get instead) being more than a happy diversion?
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 2:43 pm

My tennis instructor told me to see Catch and Release with my darling. He said it, "almost seems like something from the independent film channel." Gross.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 10:02 pm

one review I read said Black Snake Moan was full of "facile symbolism," which made me instantly not want to see it. but maybe that review was full of "shite."
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 10:28 pm

Black Snake Moan

Only heard good things.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 10:42 pm | Edited by: I am the Arm

GRINDHOUSE IS GONNA RULE!

Can't wait....

Plus this

QUENTIN TARANTINO'S LOS ANGELES GRINDHOUSE FESTIVAL 2007 continues at the New Beverly! FROM MARCH 4TH - APRIL 30TH, 2007
March 6, 2007:
The Mack (1973): 7:30
plus!
The Chinese Mack (1974): 9:40
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&frien did=11796052
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&frien dID=54856712
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 11:02 pm

I have a feeling that some on the Goner Board may blast Black Snake Moan once they see it, because it is not the powerhouse, gritty "authentic" blues movie that some reviewers characterize it as. I saw it and it is a bit obvious and Hollywood-ish, but all in all for a "Hollywood" movie it is very good. But it is not in the pantheon of truly great movies by any means. BTW, Christina Ricci has nice tits, even in the anorexic look she assumed for the movie.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 11:10 pm

yippee nippy!!! ricci chi chi's
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 11:11 pm

Boondock Saints is one of the corniest, crappiest movies that I've ever seen. I'm on that team.
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 12:08 am

The crappiest movie I've ever seen was the Black Dahlia. I thought I was getting some true crime, but the Dahlia case was glossed over in what was a retarded buddy cop drama. I've heard good things about Zodiac, though.
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 1:53 am

Black Dahlia indeed sucked ass. They also teased that they might show some Scarlet skin, but of course, did not.
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 5:03 am

Skank On A Chain....a little too much fluff for my taste. But the soundtrack was okay.
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 5:27 am | Edited by: jerryd

BTW, Christina Ricci has nice tits

She had nice tits back in "The Adams Family"

Saw Zodiac, and it was okay. I usually stay away from movies over 90 minutes long, but this one didn't put me to sleep or cause me to start rambling to myself half way through it, so I'd say check it out.

Now for a classic, I rented "The Jerk" the other night and laughed my ass off just as much as I did the first time I saw it. That movie shows why Steve Martin is pure genius.
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 5:42 am

Both her & Theron look terrible in Monster, which, unfortunately means this scene isn't anywhere as good as it needs to be... Furthermore, aren't there 2 "d"s in Addams family?

Posted: Mar 7, 2007 5:50 am

Furthermore, aren't there 2 "d"s in Addams family?

Yes. I stand corrected.
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 6:19 am

She's had breast reduction surgery since then...not that they don't still look nice.
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 6:44 am

I usually stay away from movies over 90 minutes long

That's really tough to avoid anymore. Kee-Ryst, everytime Lyndsey drags me to a movie, it's over 2 hours long.
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 3:03 pm

Now for a classic, I rented "The Jerk" the other night and laughed my ass off just as much as I did the first time I saw it. That movie shows why Steve Martin is pure genius.

The Jerk is one of my all-time favorites, but I think at this point in his career, Steve Martin has produced so much horrible shit that it pretty much cancels out all the great things he did at the beginning of his career.
Posted: Mar 9, 2007 8:50 am

The Jerk is one of my all-time favorites, but I think at this point in his career, Steve Martin has produced so much horrible shit that it pretty much cancels out all the great things he did at the beginning of his career.

The Jerk rules, but I still think Martin's funniest film is "The Man With Two Brains."

This looks awesome! Can't wait.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/thehost/trailer/
Posted: Mar 9, 2007 9:59 am

Crappy Apple site is acting funny... Try this

www.hostmovie.com
Posted: Apr 2, 2007 5:17 pm

'Zodiac'? SUCKED.

Downey Jr.=Always fun; wasted on this. Ruffalo=Tried to bring something. Gyllenhaal=Terrible actor. Can't even call the boy an actor. We left before the end of this eternally long, dull, pointless film.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®