Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Mary Weiss & Reigning Sound on CONAN O'BRIEN!
Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next »
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 4:47 pm

Mary Weiss with Reigning Sound
on
Late Night with Conan O'Brien
March 13
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 4:50 pm

whoa! That's so fucking rad!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 4:53 pm

holy shit.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 4:56 pm

Triumph, please.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 4:57 pm

Thats awesome!!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 4:59 pm

Holy shit, that's awesome!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:05 pm

Is The Barbarian gonna announce the label? Hmmm...
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:09 pm | Edited by: bruce

he's usually pretty good about things like that, unless he gets distracted...I'm betting he's distracted by Mary Weiss and tells some story of being in love with her as a kid
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:09 pm

Norton RULES!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:10 pm

shit! now I have to watch Conan.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:10 pm

you ever seen the show?

you ever hear him say "And here's Prince on I'm A Slave records"
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:15 pm

holy shit, that is wonderful!!!!

go greg!!!!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:24 pm

hoo haw! awesome!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:25 pm

I have to admit it makes a little sad to know that all those dumbasses who don't know anything about what is good get to see them and think they "discovered" some great "new" band.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:33 pm

But when will they make PEREZHILTON.COM?!?!?
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:35 pm

I'm gettin tickets!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:38 pm

I just called and they're booked through April. I might go the day of at 9 am for standby tix, but it doesn't gaurantee entrance if you get one.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:39 pm

awesome.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 5:50 pm

SWEET
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 6:19 pm

I got in on standby there for Alex Chilton once. It's not too hard.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 6:20 pm

That's what she said.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 6:27 pm

Ned Diggler will be stroke'n his man-meat the whole time for sure!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 6:28 pm

hee-haw! hee-haw! hee-haw! hee-haw!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 6:28 pm

L.A.M.E.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 9:17 pm

no way..? Im gonna be on SNL with my new band SWAMPNUTZ. March 13th...Excellent. Congrats Ed Oblivian!!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 9:26 pm

mary weiss is totally washed up. so is "ed". so is goner. later, losers.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 9:35 pm

remember the hipshakes!

when's "practice?"
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 9:58 pm

mary weiss is totally washed up. so is "ed". so is goner. later, losers.

Finally!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 10:26 pm

conan's talent booker, jim pitt is so very cool. i'm so glad that the whole late night viewing audience gets to see mary weiss & the reigning sound!

(sign up for aftra, ed, lance, carol and dave!)
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 10:31 pm

Aftra indeed.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 10:39 pm

Aftra indeed

yes.... so they can get residuals when the show repeats. nothing like passive income
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 10:46 pm

(sign up for aftra, ed, lance, carol and dave!)

I thought you meant someone else had joined the band named aftra.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 10:52 pm

tk and her clumsy sentences...
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 10:54 pm

The panda eats shoots and leaves.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 10:56 pm

the watch stops when zeus has his last laugh.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 10:57 pm

This is a very pleasant pineapple.
Dogs must be carried on the escalator.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 11:13 pm

Wow! You guys are smart!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 11:31 pm

anyone gotta light my fire is going out
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 11:43 pm

Posted: Mar 1, 2007 11:47 pm

um, i used commas correctly.
perhaps i should have put the names first, as in:
ed, lance, carol and dave, sign up for aftra.

you see, its not my punctuation that is incorrect. The sentence does, however, suffer from my lack of using "sentence case." Ah, the interweb....
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 11:49 pm

donkey has a point i don't like pinapple zues can eat dogshit with his laugh who the fuck is donkey anyway i always thought it was bradx because of his gpunk name but im sure im wrong so who are you
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 11:51 pm

I am diagraming the entire Goner board tonight.

You people are gonna be sorry.
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 11:51 pm

what does that mean?
Posted: Mar 1, 2007 11:59 pm

Grammatically?

Make sure you use spell check when you're doing your diagraming.

HEE-HAW!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 12:12 am

I'm diaphraming tonight.

HAWW!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 12:18 am

Posted: Mar 2, 2007 1:24 am

I have to admit it makes a little sad to know that all those dumbasses who don't know anything about what is good get to see them and think they "discovered" some great "new" band.

Out of this entire thread, this struck me as the most odd. I'm thrilled millions of people get to be introduced to these great musicians, why be a musical "snob" about it? For once, the idiot-bearing airwaves are being side-stepped. Good for Greg and Mary and everyone else involved! It's about time everyone hears them, not just the Goner board.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 1:28 am | Edited by: jerryd

Everybody hears a band for the first time sometime. I think it's great that a whole new audience will get to hear their music. I'm sure there are bands that are new to you that have been around for a while, and I would hope there original fans would not be such elitists to think that way. Maybe you didn't mean for it to sound like that.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 1:55 am

if they like it they like it. if these dumbasses have bad taste (or worse, no taste) to begin with then it'll be lost on them and they can move on.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 2:38 am

greg an his band eat shit. lcd garage-a-billy. you losers should all kill yourselves for havin such horrible taste in music. goner is like the boces of the rock scene. good luck w/ that. dirk diggler
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 2:47 am

why be a musical "snob" about it?

are you kidding? this is the goner board. Where else can you be a music snob if not here. Besides, I am not taking anything away from Greg, Mary or anybody else - I'm gonna be cheering them on no matter what. I just know that probably anybody regularly posting on here would cringe to hear some baggy jeans, baseball hat to the side Hot Topic idiot rave about the Reigning Sound in the same breath as Good Charlotte.

There is a big part of me that wishes alot of the music I have been exposed to was in regular airplay on the radio, playing huge shows, on tv spots, commercials, etc. But as much as I would like to see that, there is still a part of me that would like to keep it to myself. Maybe I'm just a selfish music snob. I may not be articulating very well, but I'm also pretty sure there is at least one other person out there in Goner land that feels similarly.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 2:59 am

I have read and understand your complaint, windy. This made me feel a little funny too but, I'll have to agree with jerryd on this. And who really cares anyway? Oblivians were way better in my opinion.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 3:06 am

no shit!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 3:36 am

This is a cruel joke played on us who dont have cable
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 3:46 am

greg an his band eat shit. lcd garage-a-billy. you losers should all kill yourselves for havin such horrible taste in music. goner is like the boces of the rock scene. good luck w/ that. dirk diggler

HA! You're the fag that's the KISS sympathizer.

KISS SUCKS!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:23 am

I can't believe that a person who actually cleaned my kitchen after a party that she help organize in my honor, is going to be on Conan. That's awesome. Good for all involved.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:23 am

to hear some baggy jeans, baseball hat to the side Hot Topic idiot rave about the Reigning Sound in the same breath as Good Charlotte.

Maybe they would hear Reigning Sound and realize that Good Charlottes type of music( I can't comment on them because I've never heard of them before) isnt the only kind out there. I'm pretty sure at some point in your life you listened to some shit music that folks on here would have made fun of you for, and maybe just because you didn't know what all was out there. I know I did, and probably still do. So if they can go on Conan and get people curious about their music genre, then way to go!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:24 am

Conan is on NBC - get some rabbit ears
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:28 am

Yeah, this is awesome news!!!!!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:42 am | Edited by: Windy

Maybe they would hear Reigning Sound and realize that Good Charlottes type of music( I can't comment on them because I've never heard of them before) isnt the only kind out there. I'm pretty sure at some point in your life you listened to some shit music that folks on here would have made fun of you for, and maybe just because you didn't know what all was out there. I know I did, and probably still do. So if they can go on Conan and get people curious about their music genre, then way to go!

Go myspace some Good Charlotte and tell me if you think they are a good band. I have had to listen to some of their stuff before - it ain't pretty. I think if you knew what they sounded like, you might understand a little bit more of what I was trying to say.

I don't think you understood exactly what I meant and I don't think that even if I spend another hour trying to explain it that you would. I have nothing against people in general being exposed to new music. I just hate it when I go through a process of appreciating a band (or anything: art, authors, etc) and following them and then some sideways hat wearing twat sees them on TV and thinks they "get" the band, when they can't tell the difference between the two, they just know it was on TV so it must be "Good"

It really has nothing specific to do with Mary Weiss and the Reigning Sound, and I am glad they have the opportunity to be on TV.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:55 am

so i was wondering... how do you get paid for this?

i know using songs in videos is expensive. this show isn't recorded live... so isn't this using pre-recorded music for a show?

also- can you get paid per market, per country, per station?

just wondering.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:42 am

Conan is on NBC - get some rabbit ears

I have rabbit ears and I don't get NBC
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:58 am

i played a few songs off break up break down for someone once and all they said is that it was campy. i don't have much faith in other peoples opinions and unless i'm specifically asked i usually don't give mine. all the people who i've introduced the band to and who like the band when they heard the songs will be at my house watching that night. and i think anyone sick of what they've been hearing for years and looking for something new to listen to will perk their ears up. maybe they will get huge after this; sweet nectar for them. i feel like someone from this little neck of the music woods needs to get some notice. i just hope they don't turn into green day and sell merch in delia's.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:06 am

i just hope they don't turn into green day and sell merch in delia's.

I hope RS can come back and do Conan when 'their' next record is released on ITR.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:06 am

eat shit
you still got scum rock '91 on the mind
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:11 am

so i was wondering... how do you get paid for this?

conan is recorded live on tape for delayed broadcast

there is an AFTRA performance for the musical performers - there is a statutory scale rate for this. you can look it up on AFTRA's website

there is a sync license fee paid to the publisher (who collects for the songwriters) of the song(s) performed. these fees are negotiated between the publisher and the rights & clearances people for conan/NBC

there is also the BMI/ASCAP that you'll get paid once producer or the network (NBC in this case) files their regular cue sheet to BMI and ASCAP

that's why, even though people poke fun at me for doing things by the book, one does things by the book
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:12 am

their' next record is released on ITR.
yeah. i hope conan takes to them. i really do.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:55 am | Edited by: DevilDog

jerryd - nicely put. Whether their hats are sideways or not, I hope this converts a shit load of kids, young and old. Maybe after they check 'em out on Conan, they'll find some info online, check out their influences musically, find their way to the Goner board, etc. The same thing that happened with everyone here at some point in time in their lives. The more people that finally hear good music the better chance bad music will lose its appeal, which is never a bad thing. And finding the good stuff easily or without effort shouldn't piss off the diehards like it always does. I've never understood that at all. When something gets popular, the "original" fans lose interest because it's no longer fun to be an exclusive clique of snobs. I say let everyone in on the fun and quit worrying about how they get there.

Also, maybe some of these new fans' changing musical taste will also branch out into their lifestyle and they'll start wearing their clothing and facial hair in a manner which is Goner-board-friendly.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 12:04 pm

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want good music on TV, radio, movies, whatever. Even ads. And I don't understand why you wouldn't want someone who was in the Oblivians to get some exposure/cash. I don't really have faith in the general populace (tin ears, not really that passionate about music anyway) getting it, or getting anything, but I can't see anything wrong with people who have contributed to great music getting a national stage. And I've played good music for retards many times over the years who eventually did a conversion, so I'm sure some people will get broadsided and work their way back to the Oblivians and bands that influenced them.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 1:01 pm

Let's throw our juice packets at the preps!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 1:46 pm

Anyone who says anything besides "Oh sweet, I'll have to watch Cone Zone that night and see them play" is a fucking retard. I'm really really excited for this. I'm going to the record release show tomorrow. SO FUCK ALL Y'ALL.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 1:56 pm

This is my first Goner trawl since Digger fucked me off a few months ago, and I couldn't wish for a thread with better news! You guys are lucky, we don't get no NBC peacock this side of the pond!

BTW, back in Memphis late April, early May, to celebrate our second wedding anniversary, see ya then!

Oh, and fuck Diggler! Long live Goner!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 3:12 pm

Anyone who says anything besides "Oh sweet, I'll have to watch Cone Zone that night and see them play" is a fucking retard.

bullshit, windy is awesome and is certainly not a fucking retard. she wasn't saying anything bad about the reigning sound, i understood the point she was making and give her full credit for having the balls to even bring it up knowing there would be a bunch of people to jump down her throat.

that said i'm probably going to be arrested for contempt of court for skipping jury duty so i can stand in line outside in the freezing cold to get a ticket to go see conan that day. conan rules!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 3:12 pm

hey guys, i can burn my rage against the machine albums for anyone who hasn't picked those up yet. I got 'em all plus some bootlegs. It wouldn't take me anytime at all. Just let me know!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 3:25 pm

This is my first Goner trawl since Digger fucked me off a few months ago...

Oh yeah, back when YOU started a thread trying to get him kicked off the board, and you were the one who ended up pussing out and quitting. That was hilarious!

Nobody missed you. Go sit down and play your guitar.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 3:30 pm

jerryd - nicely put. Whether their hats are sideways or not, I hope this converts a shit load of kids, young and old.

old kids maybe, but the reigning sound (backing mary weiss especially) DOES NOT play music for the youth. they won't like it. even if they were playing as themselves and performing "we repel eachother" the kids wouldn't give a shit. aband like the black lips would have square kids gong crazy, reigning sound would get laughed at.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 3:35 pm

windy is awesome

Fucking right she is, and she never said she wouldn't be watching them on Conan and cheering them on like she was in the studio audience. I mean seriously, talk about COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT. Who's the retard here again?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 3:36 pm

"Nobody missed you. Go sit down and play your guitar."

OK, only if you go and sit on yours, bridge side upwards... True, I was having a bad time around Xmess, the fallout from moving outta London, and was deffo more touchy then I shoulda been about Digger's constant piss-taking, but by the same token that you're not the only one on the Goner Board for thinking I'm a lame-o for talking about banning Diggler, I reckon I'm not the only one who was sick'n'tired of his invective. Subject closed, I think.

Anyway, I missed the Goner Board, what can I say? I love you tools (and pussies)...
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 3:57 pm

The only thing gayer than being upset about a band you like being on tv is hoping a band you like is going to pull some jesus-type conversion on some dudes who are watching Conan instead of Showtime After Dark.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:02 pm

I thought they only paid $500 clams for those apperances?

Incorrect Theresa K?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:03 pm

Oh yeah, back when YOU started a thread trying to get him kicked off the board, and you were the one who ended up pussing out and quitting. That was hilarious!

To be fair, Diggler quit twice yesterday. I could pull up the quotes (one of them in this thread), but that's boring.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:03 pm

Hey, BKS!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:05 pm

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want good music on TV, radio, movies, whatever. Even ads.

Humans desire stratification, and for a small number, their hierarchy is based heavily on what they listen to, watch, and read. They want to be segregated from the unclean hordes that listen to pop punk/ nu metal, read Steven King novels, and flock to see $100 million blockbuster movies.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:07 pm

read Steven King novels

Hey, the Dark Tower books are awesome.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:09 pm

Windy, I'm sorry, we just don't have anymore floor space this weekend. I'm not even sure what you said, but it's blasphemy none the less!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:16 pm

Whenever I used to find myself thinking this way, I would realize that there's probably somebody else who's been into the shit longer than I have who feels the same way about me.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:20 pm

I would realize that there's probably somebody else who's been into the shit longer than I have who feels the same way about me.

exacta-mundo!! By the way, I also have the RATM single with their cover of "Kick Out the Jams" if anyone needs that!!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:24 pm

read Steven King novels

I know his books are pretty cheesy, but when I was in high school they were the first things I started reading outside of schoolwork, for pleasure, so I've always gotta give him credit for that.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:25 pm

All I am gonna say is this...
What the hell is the point of starting a band if you don't intend for all sorts of people to hear it. The bands we like and reference everyday here on the goner-board aren't making music just for us. Right?

I wasn't given a special invitation to listen to Reigning Sound...I stumbled onto their music because one time DCR gave me a Clone Defects cd. I went onto Amazon and Reigning Sound came up as a suggestion when I was searching for Clone Defects related music. The same thing happens for any dude who orders White Stripes or Black Keys music on there...so you can't expect Reigning Sound to stay underground if thats the case...

I'm happy that Reigning Sound is on Conan. Happy they get the chance to share some songs with a nationwide audience.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:29 pm

i seriously hate arguements like these, but can I point out that RS is backing up Mary Weiss on Conan.....and we all know that Greg could be 100 times bigger if he chose to be. I'm sure that a major label has inquired about Reigning Sound by now, dudes.

and well said Angus!!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:29 pm

What the hell is the point of starting a band if you don't intend for all sorts of people to hear it.

To get laid. Duh.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:46 pm

To get laid. Duh.

Finally a voice of reason.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:51 pm

from an interview with Greg O:

"The thing about my records is that they are good records that have by and large gone unnoticed by the mass populace, so I haven't had to deal with a lot of attention. That keeps things right where I like it: I sell enough records so that whoever puts my record out will let me do whatever I want, but not so much attention that a major label would sign me to a contract where I have to do what they want me to do. We've had a few people call, but its always some assistant to an A&R person and inevitably what they ask is, "So and so brought your name up and we were wondering if you could send two CDs so we could think about whether it would be something for us," I just go, Look, I've known A&R people, and I know you have a budget. So if you want to hear it, run out and buy it. Sending two copies to an A&R guy? You might as well set the CDs on fire. "So I'm right where I want to be and it makes me really comfortable."
-Greg
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:52 pm

Hey Jack! Be great to finally meetcha in April...
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:52 pm

Joss! You've been hiding away, writing music reviews for the Guardian under the name of Leonie Cooper, haven't you?!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 4:53 pm

I'll be here, man!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:01 pm

Guy, don't be baiting me now! Actually, will be DJing at Joe P's 40th burfday party at South London Pacific tonite, gotta rush and get the train now!

Jack, mail me yer number! We'll be in town for a while, so let's get together for a beer and a blather!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:15 pm

Oh. My. Lord. This is ridiculous.

Did I ever say that I am NOT HAPPY for Mary Weiss and the RS? No
Did I ever say that I wish they weren't going to be on tv? NO
Did I ever say that some good exposure for them was bad? NO

Sometimes I think the majority of the people that read here are ignorant.

I simply (honestly, no less) said that a small part of me wishes that the stuff I like could stay big enough to do well and small enough not to take away that "something" that makes them good to me.

Fuck all y'all that don't know me and know that I have been saying as long as I have liked certain bands (including the RS) that I wish they could be played on the radio and that I wish they could get records out. Especially fuck all y'all who I KNOW would be ripping to shreds any of those kids who would come to a show not dressed"right" or who would try to talk to you about any music you consider shit music and who I KNOW think that sometimes it takes something away from the band to blow up. If you think for one second about the things I posted earlier, I said what I said because I think in the case of RS, the band could and should be huge. I said what I said, because I think the show I am planning to see Sunday night is going to be the last small show of theirs I will get to see. Going from there, yes, I think I am going to have to fight frat boys and stupid kids in sideways hats for tickets from now on and that makes me a little upset. Maybe it's selfish, maybe it's elitist, but I have listened to PLENTY of people from this here board a)making similar comments and b) being bigger music snobs than I could ever be. FUCK YOU ALL. I don't even know enough about music to be a music snob on the level of half the people here.

NO ONE that has met me has ever heard me be anything but supportive of ANY band I have gone out to see, even bands that I don't think are that good. I still take pictures of those bands too. I'm out there because I want to see the bands I like get somewhere, however big or small they want to be.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:18 pm

but how do you really feel?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:27 pm

So long to Greg singing me any bedtime songs.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:35 pm

So long to Greg singing me any bedtime songs.

Oh, is Conan on after your bedtime?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:42 pm

WAY TO GO, Bazooka Joe...
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:47 pm

What is this Conan O'Brien?
I don't watch tv
tv's a nickname and nicknames are for friends
and TELEVISION is no friend of mine!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:50 pm

Maaaaan, I don't even own a TV.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:52 pm

Windy, you're a butthole.

Even still, I know what you are saying.

I'd rather see the Reigning Sound at the Hi-Tone than at the New Daisy. I'd also rather pay at the door than pay in advance. Moreover, I'd rather see bands I like with people I recognize and sort of know than with a bunch of strangers who are at the show to see the "flavor of the moment".

When bands hit a certain level of popularity, the things I enjoy about going to shows start to disappear.
Bands' success sucks for the fans that have been around for a while, but it's obviously great for the bands. Such is life.

I think most people feel the same way. Otherwise we wouldn't be on this particular message board.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:52 pm | Edited by: Rosemary Rose

Windy, I just want to say that, believe me, I know exactly what you're trying to say...and that post doesn't sound snobbish at all. I just really don't think that you'll have to be fighting anyone for RS tickets now or anytime soon. Chicago's show won't be the last small show of theirs. I think that it would have gotten to that point already if it were going to happen at all, you know? I just don't think frat boys are going to be running out and buying the records of the backing band for Mary Weiss. Just saying...I don't think you have anything to worry about.

and like I said before, I think we all are aware that if Greg wanted to be bigger-he could be! I mean, he should be-duh! I know I feel very fortunate to have looked and asked where and when I did when I first was exposed to O's/CG's and then RS.

Just wanted to say that.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:57 pm

Windy,

Whether their hats are sideways or not, I hope this converts a shit load of kids, young and old. Maybe after they check 'em out on Conan, they'll find some info online, check out their influences musically, find their way to the Goner board, etc. The same thing that happened with everyone here at some point in time in their lives. The more people that finally hear good music the better chance bad music will lose its appeal, which is never a bad thing. And finding the good stuff easily or without effort shouldn't piss off the diehards like it always does. I've never understood that at all. When something gets popular, the "original" fans lose interest because it's no longer fun to be an exclusive clique of snobs. I say let everyone in on the fun and quit worrying about how they get there.
Fuck all y'all that don't know me and know that I have been saying as long as I have liked certain bands (including the RS) that I wish they could be played on the radio and that I wish they could get records out. Especially fuck all y'all who I KNOW would be ripping to shreds any of those kids who would come to a show not dressed"right" or who would try to talk to you about any music you consider shit music and who I KNOW think that sometimes it takes something away from the band to blow up. If you think for one second about the things I posted earlier, I said what I said because I think in the case of RS, the band could and should be huge. I said what I said, because I think the show I am planning to see Sunday night is going to be the last small show of theirs I will get to see. Going from there, yes, I think I am going to have to fight frat boys and stupid kids in sideways hats for tickets from now on and that makes me a little upset. Maybe it's selfish, maybe it's elitist, but I have listened to PLENTY of people from this here board a)making similar comments and b) being bigger music snobs than I could ever be. FUCK YOU ALL. I don't even know enough about music to be a music snob on the level of half the people here. I'd rather see the Reigning Sound at the Hi-Tone than at the New Daisy. I'd also rather pay at the door than pay in advance. Moreover, I'd rather see bands I like with people I recognize and sort of know than with a bunch of strangers who are at the show to see the "flavor of the moment". Windy, I just want to say that, believe me, I know exactly what you're trying to say...and that post doesn't sound snobbish at all. I just really don't think that you'll have to be fighting anyone for RS tickets now or anytime soon. Chicago's show won't be the last small show of theirs. I think that it would have gotten to that point already if it were going to happen at all, you know? I just don't think frat boys are going to be running out and buying the records of the backing band for Mary Weiss. Just saying...I don't think you have anything to worry about.

and like I said before, I think we all are aware that if Greg wanted to be bigger-he could be! I mean, he should be-duh! I know I feel very fortunate to have looked and asked where and when I did when I first was exposed to O's/CB's and then RS. All I am gonna say is this...
What the hell is the point of starting a band if you don't intend for all sorts of people to hear it. The bands we like and reference everyday here on the goner-board aren't making music just for us. Right?

I wasn't given a special invitation to listen to Reigning Sound...I stumbled onto their music because one time DCR gave me a Clone Defects cd. I went onto Amazon and Reigning Sound came up as a suggestion when I was searching for Clone Defects related music. The same thing happens for any dude who orders White Stripes or Black Keys music on there...so you can't expect Reigning Sound to stay underground if thats the case...

I'm happy that Reigning Sound is on Conan. Happy they get the chance to share some songs with a nationwide audience.
bullshit, windy is awesome and is certainly not a fucking retard. she wasn't saying anything bad about the reigning sound, i understood the point she was making and give her full credit for having the balls to even bring it up knowing there would be a bunch of people to jump down her throat.

that said i'm probably going to be arrested for contempt of court for skipping jury duty so i can stand in line outside in I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want good music on TV, radio, movies, whatever. Even ads. And I don't understand why you wouldn't want someone who was in the Oblivians to get some exposure/cash. I don't really have faith in the general populace (tin ears, not really that passionate about music anyway) getting it, or getting anything, but I can't see anything wrong with people who have contributed to great music getting a national stage. And I've played good music for retards many times over the years who eventually did a conversion, so I'm sure some people will get broadsided and work their way back to the Oblivians and bands that influenced them.

When bands hit a certain level of popularity, the things I enjoy about going to shows start to disappear.
Bands' success sucks for the fans that have been around for a while, but it's obviously great for the bands. Such is life.

I think most people feel the same way. Otherwise we wouldn't be on this particular message board.

Just wanted to say that.

Lisa
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:15 pm

u dont know me!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:18 pm

i have the Greg-O and the tip tops test pressing. im gonna stick it on ebay the day after the conan show! retirement time!!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:22 pm

mystery mike should sell copies of his wedding
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:29 pm

If you like it listen to it.
If you don't , don't listen to it and don't whine about it.

pretty simple really
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:30 pm

i think neco case fans with go apeshit for thr rs and that's about it. what's everybody so upset about anyway? how many times do i gotta say it, the reigning sound ain't the black lips. black lips you may get upset about all you want. the reigingins ound is a band that's meant for people to enjoy. the black lips wer always a band that only really fucked up people were initially supposed to dig, and they have been given the opprtunity for squares to like 'em. liking the rs will never be considered "cool" by normal kids. i'm not saying anything about them as a band other than "they just arne't that kind of band, so shut the fuck already beeee-utch!"

And by "beeee-utch" i mean everybody.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:32 pm

It's all about the songs and in my humble opinion, Greg O writes some damn good ones.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:33 pm

talk about panties in a wad....
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:34 pm

agree! some of the best....
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:35 pm

It's all about the songs and in my humble opinion, Greg O writes some damn good ones.

word. they don't have some kinda cool image. they're almost like no depression/ americana with a bit more whiskey in' em.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:36 pm

lets just kill greg
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:37 pm

I wonder if people had this same discussion 40 or so years ago when the Shangri Las appeared on Ed Sullivan or Shindig.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:38 pm

it was craziness....morse code a go-go!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:39 pm | Edited by: sixelsix

I just really don't think that you'll have to be fighting anyone for RS tickets now or anytime soon. Chicago's show won't be the last small show of theirs. I think that it would have gotten to that point already if it were going to happen at all, you know?

Having spent 5 1/2 years of my life in this band, I tend to agree with this statement.

That said, I am happy for Greg/Lance/Carol/Dave. A little more exposure never hurt anybody.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:40 pm

greg is dead now. funeral service on monday. details to come.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:42 pm | Edited by: DevilDog

I wonder if people had this same discussion 40 or so years ago when the Shangri Las appeared on Ed Sullivan or Shindig.

Probably, but on a much smaller scale.....

Mary's Mom - I wish Mary wasn't running all over all the time, playing these crazy songs and getting the boys all riled up.

Mary's Dad - ah, don't worry, most people won't like or get them anyway.

Mom - I wish she'd just stay here and sing for us, like she used to.

Dad - I'd like the world to hear her. Why would you say that?

Mom - ahhh, fuck ALL Y'ALL!! You never understand me. (stomps off to the bedroom to pout)

The End
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:43 pm

To be fair, Diggler quit twice yesterday. I could pull up the quotes (one of them in this thread), but that's boring.
i missed that...

as far as wanting to keep bands underground for lack of a better term, there are some bands that i feel that way about, but usually theyre too out there for the mainstream to ever embrace them anyways. reigning sound isnt one of those bands. their music should be heard by all who care to hear it. on the other hand, even when clone defects went on tour with the white stripes it didnt concern me at all because i knew most of those kids werent gonna get it. the only thing i dont want to see is the mainstream fucking over some band they dont really understand. that interview with greg is really good. sounds like he's right where he wants to be.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:44 pm

Whenever you guys are ready to talk about my feelings, let me know...
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:46 pm

as far as wanting to keep bands underground for lack of a better term, there are some bands that i feel that way about, but usually theyre too out there for the mainstream to ever embrace them anyways. reigning sound isnt one of those bands. their music should be heard by all who care to hear it. on the other hand, even when clone defects went on tour with the white stripes it didnt concern me at all because i knew most of those kids werent gonna get it. the only thing i dont want to see is the mainstream fucking over some band they dont really understand. that interview with greg is really good. sounds like he's right where he wants to be.

that's what i said you fucking parakeet!

CHEEP CHEEP!

I mean

PROPANE PROPANE!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:47 pm

I got an idea. Let's all write essays and short stories explaining our feelings about it. oh wait...
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:49 pm

bump
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:56 pm

Is that Nuevo black lips gonna be released on vinyl?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 6:58 pm

dang windy. hahaha
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:08 pm

Actually, lots of people on this board watch the show regularly. I haven't seen it more than a few times, but it's not bad & Conan was the best Simpsons writer ever. And yes, in front of millions of viewers a few people will investigate and work back to the Oblivians - almost all the kids that started good bands in my area were brought in by the mainstream successes of bands like Nirvana and Green Day. The Hipshakes were inspired by the Strokes, for fucksales. Will RS "get huge" from this? Fuck no! But some people will be opened to a new music, and that's always a good thing.

Windy, I'm sorry, we just don't have anymore floor space this weekend.
wow...unbelievable.

Greg Cartwright doesn't care about anoyone's fucking lame ass opinions on this board.

Let him rock and shut your faceholes.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:09 pm

retarded show as Conan?
dude, you're so underground!
Conan is funny, but I'm sure you watch only public-access.
And as far as RS getting paid to do a show on TV being an "insult", you are a fucking jerk.
Funny to know that one of you"favourite bands" getting paid to go to NYC and play on National Television is so not cool (infact you think it's bad???). I don't think RS will have the cover of Rolling Stone or pick up millions of fans either, but it's fags like you talking shit about success that is a fucking joke, you suck. Go be a cool record fag.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:10 pm

Conan was the best Simpsons writer ever.

Wrong. John Swartzwelder, by a mile.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:11 pm

piss ruins the label?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:11 pm

Wrong. John Swartzwelder, by a mile.

fo sho
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:14 pm

and here he goes with his "american" fuckshit again.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:14 pm

citizin,

at least spell it right you commie
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:16 pm

And you are such a stand up American citizin, it's scary.

You will die ALONE.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:18 pm

Want Gregory Cartwright to rub you good?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:19 pm

Says non-erotic but look at that chest baby....Yeow!!!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:20 pm

PU-NANNE-TAPPER SAID:
Personally this all sounds like a major insult to one of my favourite bands, but since they seem to happy about it too I'll just say: Sorry for being so 'European' about this, but all I can say is: je-SUS!!

blah blah blah, Americans are stupid, I'm from Europe, blah somebody please care.blah.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:21 pm

Nanne strikes again!!

I need a nap.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:23 pm

Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:23 pm

cause it surely makes you folks retarded.

Shouldn't you be carving some new shoes asswipe?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:25 pm

nice one, m t.

Nanne nanne boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:30 pm

Greg Cartwright
is that a snowflake tattoo
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:31 pm

I'm busy fingerfuckin a dike, boy.

If by "fingerfuckin a dike" you mean "sticking some fag's windmill blade up your ass", then I'm sure you are.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:33 pm

Holy shit, DCR, I do believe so...what and why and where do you get a snowflake tattoo???
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:34 pm

what and why and where do you get a snowflake tattoo???
because he's so fucking hot he needs to cool down!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:34 pm

oh great, now a bunch of poseurs are gonna be moshing to the thrash parts and thrashing to mosh parts
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:36 pm

maybe i should start ebaying my R.S. t-shirts
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:38 pm

he's so fucking hot he needs to cool down!

Haha
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:40 pm

what and why and where do you get a snowflake tattoo???

ahh, here we go:
http://www.tattoos-by-design.co.uk/rate_my_tattoo/tattoos/viewtatoo.as p?ID=1390
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:50 pm

But sorry, no beef.
what? he chimed in way early on
here's what he said. how did you miss that, it was like the 5th post
you ever seen the show?

you ever hear him say "And here's Prince on I'm A Slave records"
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:55 pm

greg cartwright is going to grow old making beautiful music. musical integrity goes a long, long, long way, and he's been stretching that chord for quite some time.

you know what will be a terrible thing? if conan just bills and announces the performance as "Mary Weiss from the Shangri-las" and never once mentions Reigning Sound by name. i hope that doesn't happen. theresa, work your magic with jim!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:56 pm

Great bands used to play on the Sullivan show and other mediocre dreck throughout the history of rnr, what the fuck's the difference? Lots of people watch the show, some will appreciate it and nothing bad can happen from this. Unbelievable.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:57 pm

can someone give me thew lyrics to Bad Man?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:58 pm

I'm busy fingerfuckin a dike, boy.

Not to jump on the "correcting your English" bandwagon, but surely you meant to write "fingerfucking a boy, dyke."
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 7:59 pm

Funny how this thread is gonna make some people either cry, angry, enemies, or stop posting all together. You can thank Greg Cartwright for that folks. He's the reason we're having this discussion.

DCR, I hope that's not a pic of your Tat.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:01 pm

Time is in a vacuum and you blah blah blah........I'm a bad man!!!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:01 pm

its a picture of my tit.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:14 pm

Greg Cartwright doesn't care about anoyone's fucking lame ass opinions on this board.

Let him rock and shut your faceholes.

We have a winner ladies and gentlemen.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:25 pm

I say he does care!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:26 pm

and congrats arm, for finally being called a winner.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:34 pm

I don't watch tv
tv's a nickname and nicknames are for friends
and TELEVISION is no friend of mine!

Ahh, Mr. Show.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:48 pm

SHOW MAMA!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:48 pm | Edited by: Highway Star

it's not insulting to be a background (backup?) band unless your an ego maniac. just because you write great music and play it with great talent doesn't mean your such a genius you can't back up a talented performer that you enjoy. i would think it would be insulting to be a great writer and waste your time slugging out a racial slur cussfest with anybody you can find on a bulletin board. but that's just me.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:57 pm

i bet thr rs will be invited back to play by themselves after this. if they do they should play th fast version of big black hole.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 8:59 pm

or call you mine with that most amazing solo in the universe
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:00 pm

Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:20 pm

BIG BLACK HOLE

http://www.ordena.com/digg/sinkhole.html

Holy Shit! That thing is scary lookin! That scares the shit outta me.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:23 pm

Wow!!! What the hell happened? Man, forget about disagreeing with what somebody on the board said and not having it turn into a slugfest. I didn't know people on this board were so sensitive. Jeez.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:23 pm

thats where ghosts come from dude. maybe we have one under our house
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:27 pm

thats where ghosts come from dude. maybe we have one under our house

I think there is one in that empty lot next door! Remember when those dudes were digging for "treasure", or glass or whatever out there? I think they musta unearthed some graves or something! Have you seen those dudes since? I haven't...thats gotta be it! Our house is seriously haunted!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:27 pm

That Mary Weiss, movin' on up.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:29 pm

Is "ghost" mormon for "I can't wait until you get home so I can hump your leg"?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:35 pm

Damn, Norton must have a great publicist working for them. Just saw this Mary Weiss profile that's in New York magazine ...

http://nymag.com/arts/popmusic/profiles/28500/index.html

I think it's awesome that RS is playing Conan. But it's really happening because Mary Weiss is a legend. It'd be rad if people took notice of the Reigning Sound but I figure the focus will likely be on Mary.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:38 pm

I just hope that Greg steals one of Conan's left handed guitars...TRY TO GET ME A 12 STRING GREG!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:41 pm

wow, that article didn't even mention the reigning sound. what a bunch of nobodies!
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:46 pm

Is "ghost" mormon for "I can't wait until you get home so I can hump your leg"?

You can't be gay if you're mormon.

If the ghost is a hot female ghost like the one that goes after Ray in the Ghostbusters movie...she can hump my leg for sure.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:46 pm

I thought they only paid $500 clams for those apperances?

Incorrect Theresa K?

there are general rules of thumb for what any production will pay for sync licenses - its all subject to negotiation between the producer and the publisher

as for the performance - AFTRA scale is statutory, per their "schedule of minimums" - there's a rate for each of network, basic cable, premium cable, PPV, infomercials, etc. the rate is based on the length of the program (not your particular appearance, unless its dramatic and you're a 5 lines and under) and the class of performer you are.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:56 pm

she can hump my leg for sure.
yeah. i wonder if she's down for a 3-some.

oh, and our new neighbors are super white trash. if lin doesn't start locking the door i'm just going walk over ask them to follow me and then show them his room and tell them to take anything they want.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 9:57 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

theresa, work your magic with jim!

ha! you are clairvoyant. i emailed him yesterday....

what i wanted to say - which has nothing to do w/ greg or the RS... but has everything to do with television programming.... is.....

Mary Weiss - former lead singer of the legendary girl group, The Shangri La's has just made a new record. Now, she, her band, and her label (the latter two are friends of ours, or people whom we respect) must take the next step in this job they do --- and that is promote the record. They're doing SXSW, a bunch of live shows... and they're doing TV. i don't see anyone complaining about the live shows.

THAT factor --- "legendary girl group" is what speaks to all the people that Goners don't like or get skeeved by. Those people would be the suits at NBC, among others. People whose taste is way different than ours are gonna hear it on the radio, see it in stores, read about it in magazines..... god forbid.... someone whose taste we balk at may even like the same thing we do.

hey --- i HATE it too when i end up sitting or standing next to neanderthals at shows.... but jeez, that's life. i spent a good decade being ridiculed for liking punk rock only to see those who ridiculed me end up wearing CBGB or Ramones t-shirts and buying those Rhino punk comps

OH PS.... i just saw Eric H's post about Mary being a legend.... I'm on your page, man
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 10:02 pm

nuff said.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 10:45 pm

and congrats arm, for finally being called a winner.

I resent that...

I'm a total loser, I swear.

Is this thread a goner?
Is dirk still alive?
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 11:24 pm

This is gay.

END OF THREAD
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:15 am

This is gay.

END OF THREAD

Ummm, it just went on....
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:23 am

and on....
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 1:36 am

propane propane
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 2:15 am

yeah end of thread. jeezus. stop bumping it up.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 2:21 am

BUMP!
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 3:01 am

WHOOP WHOOP
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 7:10 am

Posted: Mar 3, 2007 7:11 am

Posted: Mar 3, 2007 8:34 am

Posted: Mar 3, 2007 9:47 am

i would think it would be insulting to be a great writer and waste your time slugging out a racial slur cussfest with anybody you can find on a bulletin board. but that's just me.

You're refering to the greatest hobby of some of your fellow Goners? Cause I don't do too much racial slurs,

How do you feel about muslims in your country, again?
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 2:19 pm

You want a post from me on that and then misread it on purpose? So you get your Goner grouphugs back? I'll be glad to explain it to you in a private email, like I did with some other folks, but that's not what you want, is it now Jack Off

BAN HIS ASS JACK!!!
there is no need for curse words in here!
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 2:34 pm

mary weiss is totally washed up.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

DICK DIGGER, YOU ARE A REVISIONIST SHITBAG. THOUGHT WEISS WAS THE GREATEST THING ON EARTH DUE TO SOME PASSING ASSOCIATION WITH A DISTANT RELATIVE OF YOURS.

YOU JEALOUS, USELESS, SAD LITTLE TROLL.
Posted: Mar 3, 2007 3:40 pm

I'm writing an angry letter to Maximum Rock and Roll to see if I'm allowed to watch this
Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®