Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / What was the first Punk record you ever bought?(Wham! doesn't count, Greg.)
Goubler
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 4:20 am

The Jam's SOUND AFFECTS.
(Does this parka make my ass look big?)
unfriendly1
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 7:12 am

That would probably be Ramones Subterranean Jungle when I was in 7th or 8th grade...I wanna say 82/83?

In retrospect, it was a pretty lame record, but better than Ozzy Osbounes Speak Of The Devil which is what all the cool kids on my block were listening to at the time.

For the record, I was also heavy into Bob Marley & Black Oak Arkansas. Sue me.

dropkick
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 8:54 am

The Hard-ons "Hot For Your Love Baby"

Nothing liek beign smasehd at work

jenna
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 9:03 am

does depeche mode count? 'cause I bought people are poeple when I still really liked miahcel jackson.

othewiser, '84, black flag damaged, echo & the bunnymen songs people learn and sing, REM, the cure head on the door.

Argh
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 9:06 am

clash cassettes when I was really young, I took em from my teenage sisters, and I think like maybe Descendents cassettes
joe danger
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 9:44 am

first vinyl- punk and disorderly compilation; first cassette- minor threat.
SonicG
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 10:01 am

Does DEVO Q*Are we not men? count?

If not, I think I used a Licorice Pizza gift cert. for:
X - Los Angeles
The Clash - Black Market Clash
PIL - Live In Paris

mika de sica
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 4:32 pm

KTMK:666
schmatt
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 5:23 pm

Dead Kennedy's Give Me Covenience or Give Me Death, to my saracstic little eight grade brain that song "Pull My Strings" with the line "is my cock big enough for you to make me a star" had serious literary merit, not to mention other beautiful pieces like
"Too Drunk to Fuck" which would later become a mantra to live by, and their retarded take on " I Fought the Law". Some "serious" hardcore scared me a little bit, I liked the ascerbic wit in punk rock. My next "punk" rock records were Zen Arcade and Candy Apple Grey by Husker Du, and Never Mind the Bollocks It's the Sex Pistols. THe Sex Pistols I liked okay, I remeber in the mid eighties not quite getting the big deal, and some depressing Husker Du sounded like music to kill yourself to, but I loved to get high in my room and listen to their melodic stuff like "Don't Want to Know If You're Lonely" or "Chartered Trips". Anyway, who cares what I thought of punk records in 1986. In my hick town nobody gave a flying fuck about any of these records. The "coolest" kids in town liked those old REM records (which I have to admit the IRS records for the most part I really liked) and anything too loud was uncool.
PaddyBullocks
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 6:03 pm

the tyrades
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 7:02 pm

I went to see the Tyrades on tuesday night here in ATL on a whim (plus i heard the lead singer had massive globes of breast and the music was decent). I was underwhelmed on both accounts.
razor a go go
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 7:23 pm

i THINK it went like this:

tape - dead kennedys "frankenchrist" which i bought like 2 more times after melting in my car in high school

vinyl - generation x - s/t? (i actually don't remember if it was a proper release or some sort of best of type thing)

cd - "love songs for the retarded" i resisted buying CDs up until my 2nd year of college so i am pretty sure this was my first one.

tommysolution
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 7:55 pm

I had both the Sex Pistols and Clash's "Combat Rock" in grade school. I didn't know that they were "punk" at the time, though. Hell, I didn't know what punk was. I read about "Anarchy in the UK" in a rolling stone best 100 singles of all time poll, and I loved the "Rock the Casbah" video. I got Ramones mania about the same time, but I didn't know that was punk, either. I just liked 'Blitzkrieg Bop' on the Vacation soundtrack. I also loved Huey Lewis and the News during the same period.
Arturo
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 8:01 pm

Guns N Roses- Spaghetti Incident
Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 8:26 pm

My first punk purchases were cassette retrospects: The Damned "Light At The End Of The Tunnel," The Clash "Story of..." etc. This would be around '88 or '89. Having just emerged from a serious Led Zep / Floyd phase, I wanted to apply the hugeness of the double cassette to my new, harsher interests. I was under some kind of spell, a "if it is a double album, there's more, so it must be the best in the discography" type of spell. So, that same two years I bought "Daydream Nation", "Warehouse Songs and Stories", "Double Nickels" etc. Even though I owned a record player for all of my childhood, I spent a 4 - 5 teenage period buying only cassettes. So, getting back into LP's at 18 or something, the first vinyl purchased (now that I had "better" taste) would have to be Dinosaur Jr.'s "You're Living All Over Me."
ed oblivian
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 8:40 pm

What happened goub, you were doing so well. Your mom said you had stoped dressing like me and lip-syncing to reigning sound records with a comb in your bedroom. So what if the meds make you drool a little. Risking your stability is not worth your adoration of me. I hoped you were doing well but when I recieved your e-mail of "you sack of shit, you don't deserve to be Greg Cartwright! I am Greg Cartwright,I AM GREG CARTWRIGHT!!!!!" I knew you were throwing your pills away again. Listening to that metal machine music isn't going to help either. But...for the record, it was Adam Ant's Dirk Wears White Socks for me. Maybe thats not punk for you but it was for me.
Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 9:01 pm

Green Jello - Cereal Killer
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 9:07 pm

Lil Richard - Georgia Peach
Chris O
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 9:22 pm

Dead Milkmen Beelzebubba. 7th grade?
Goubler
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 10:32 pm

I knew that Wham! joke would make you jump through the hoop, greg...now be a good little bitch and "stand and deliver" for me.
Scott
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 11:17 pm

Final Solutions-Disco Eraser!
goodgodahmighty
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 11:19 pm

DRI
Circle Jerks
and JFA
cassettes
all in the $2 bin at
Woolworth's in the southland mall.
fierydrunk
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 11:35 pm

Sex Pistols "Never Mind" (LP) and DK's "Plastic Surgery Disasters" (cassette)--same day. 1983.
jerry
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 11:53 pm

(same day)

Angelic Upstarts- Teenage Warning lp
and
Freeze- Guilty Face 7"

(Both featured skulls on the cover. Promptly spilled a soda on the single)

trash
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 12:30 am

get real stupid 7"
Rattlesnake
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 1:46 am

Cassette: The Clash Combat Rock
Vinyl: The Swans and The Misfits

maybe that's why I'm a death mocker!

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 2:03 am

I see Combat Rock sullied the still impressive minds of many a young punk.

Joe Strummers rap fixation = not good.

Rev_Dan
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 2:42 am

Cassette: Dead Kennedys - Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death

Vinyl: D.R.I. - Dealing With It
Devo - Are We Not Men? Picture Disc

CD: Misfits - Walk Among Us

tommysolution
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 4:27 am

Jakey, it was Mick Jones who had the rap obsession. Strummer was more into the world music stuff. You can see a hip-hop influence in the big audio dynamite (shudder) stuff, not so much in the post-Clash Strummer stuff.
STARCHILD
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 4:33 am

SEX PISTOLS. PESTERED PEACHES RECORD SHOP FOR TWO WEEKS UNTIL THEY GOT IT.
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 6:05 am

I was thinking Mick Jones after i posted that. That's right. I still scoff at the Clash DVD where Mick is in NYC looking at a group of youth rapping and standing there enamoured as he watches safely from a building top. I'm shocked that Joe didn't feel the shift in the music considering his acceptance of reggae and soul, but then again Hip Hop was another beast entirely.
jonhatesyou
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 6:35 am

Cass: MC5 Kick Out The Jams
Vinyl: The Burning Ambition Of Punk Comp. This is the one with the Sgt.Peppers spoof for a cover. At 13, this album turned me on to alot of bands, like X-Ray Specs, The Jam, Johnny Thunders, The Addicts, and Adverts. All of which I still listen to today. I wish I still had that record.
journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 6:41 am

I bought The Drones' "Temptation of a White Collar Worker" EP at a neighborhood garage sale when I was eleven. I didn't really like it too much, but I guess that would be the first punk record I bought. Anybody wanna buy it?
Jamie
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 10:41 am

Mac Davis, "Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me."
Helen Wheels
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 10:46 am

Ok, It was Can't Stand the Rezillos. Shortly thereafter I purchased an AC-DC album and one by the Flying Lizards.
illiterategenius
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 7:46 pm

I got lucky, 'cuz my sister went on a field trip to Boston during her 2 week "punk" phase, and came back with a few tapes. After a party she threw, I found the Cramps Bad Music..., Sex Pistols never mind..., the first 2 forgotten rebels albums, combat rock, and an Exploited horror epics. I didn't hafta buy my first punk records- they found me! and I still play the cramps, the sex pistols and the forgotten rebels every now and then... good times.
moody prick
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 8:55 pm

-8 track (used) Stooges' Funhouse at Muntz
-LP (new) Ramones
-LP (delete bin) High Time
-45, either Patti Smith's Piss Factory or Sky "Sunlight's" Sunlight Star (fuck, that was a long time ago and I'm having a hard enough time drawing lines around these freaking categories, in fact maybe I mail ordered the Pere Ubu 45s first)
gdaniels
Posted: Nov 16, 2003 1:46 am

blondie's autoamerican was the 2nd LP i ever bought -- if that counts as punk.

otherwise, something by the descendents. i think it was milo goes to college (or school or whatever).

Goubler
Posted: Nov 16, 2003 2:27 am

almost forgot my first 7":THE COLD,"3 Chord City"....though that's spreadin' the "punk" tag mighty thin.
Rufus138
Posted: Nov 16, 2003 5:46 am

Millions of Dead Cops- MDC
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 16, 2003 5:56 am

Frampton Comes Alive
Human Garbage Disposal
Posted: Nov 16, 2003 10:00 pm

I guess it was Devo's "Are We Not Men" LP. I saw 'em on SNL in 78 and it changed my life! (Guess that's my "Beatles on Sullivan" story ,hahaha)Of course living in isolation in Gulfport Fun City it took me a year and a 1/2 to find it!

About a year later i found a "friend" that made an 8 Track w/ Ramones.Pistols,DK's , Black Flag and Josie Cotton (!) on it and from there it was ON !!!!

(i also got the Vapors' "New Clear Days" alb about the same time... PUNK!)

Goubler
Posted: Nov 16, 2003 11:10 pm

wasn't that the guy from IRON CROSS??
scumpuke
Posted: Nov 19, 2003 2:12 am

all bought on release 'cept land speed record and sorry ma. these are what i can distictly remember. combat rock was first if you count it as punk:

Clash- Combat Rock
husker du- land speed record, flip your wig
Gen X
Replacements- sorry ma
suicidal tendencies- ST

scumpuke
Posted: Nov 19, 2003 2:14 am

oh yeah, dead kennedys was in there too
Helen Wheels
Posted: Nov 19, 2003 7:12 am

I happened to be present and watched Ron Stain and that other dude in MDC (they had had a band called the Stains in Austin previously) as they labeled a large piece of paper with the headings: adjective, adjective, noun (or somesuch). They then wrote down all the adjectives they could think of, and all of the nouns, and then sat and combined and recombined them for hours. Finally, a few days later, they came up with "Millions of Dead Cops."

All this while they were listening to that awful Yoko Ono record (which one, you may ask - I'll proudly respond I DON'T know) and eating spirulina.

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Nov 19, 2003 11:32 am

All these youthful admissions have made me retrieve Combat Rock from it's milk crate depths.

The 2nd side of this album is truly without merit. Goddamn horrible.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 19, 2003 7:20 pm

One of my all time favorite album covers is Give Em Enough Rope.
Goubler
Posted: Nov 20, 2003 12:39 am

so an alocyte of MDC has a govt. job, disposing of other people's money for her own marxist ends...wonderful.Where's HUAC when we need it?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®