Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Rutles vs. The Beatles...
Clint
Posted: Nov 12, 2003 12:54 pm

So I'm listening to the Rutles right now, and oddly, I think I actually like them MORE than the Beatles. Why is this? Is it because the Beatles' lyrics were so dumb and naively earnest that they deSERVED to be made fun of? Is it because they were held up as gods even though they had so many mediocre songs?

But what about all those other Beatles' rip off bands? Hell, Big Star, all the late 70's British Mid bands, the whole genra of power-pop in general, weren't THEY all trying to sound at least somewhat like the Beatles? Why do I also like pretty much all of THOSE bands(Protex rocks) more than the Beatles?

Is it because the Beatles ruined "rock'n'roll" by turning it into "rock" and were THE cliched/archetypical "rock band"?

No, I think it's because the Rutles have that song about nazi's... Songs about nazi's are awesome......

Robby G
Posted: Nov 12, 2003 2:04 pm

The Beatles almost singlehandedly killed rock 'n' roll!
moody prick
Posted: Nov 12, 2003 4:30 pm

Where can I send money to stop this thread from going any further?
schmatt
Posted: Nov 12, 2003 4:43 pm

I had been searching for a topic for for doctoral thesis and I am so glad I stumbled upon this one.
Clint
Posted: Nov 12, 2003 7:33 pm

Awww, so are you people saying you DON'T like the Rutles?

heh heh..........

creepydrifter
Posted: Nov 12, 2003 7:47 pm

Bad News vs. Spinal Tap?
eric o
Posted: Nov 12, 2003 8:46 pm

weird al vs frank zappa?
CS Eunuch
Posted: Nov 12, 2003 9:46 pm

Al all the way, baby.
Argh
Posted: Nov 12, 2003 10:07 pm

Although, I was pretty disappointed with Al's performance on the Simpsons the other day.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 12, 2003 10:15 pm

Clint, you probbably more of a Ruttles band than a Beatles fan, because you've gotten too accustomed to litening to mediocre mod bands like The Greenhornes and (gasp) The Milkshakes. Don't get me wrong, I love The Milkshakes.

There's nothing niave about my favorite Beatles song, Happiness Is A Loaded Gun....I love the Beatles...I just like McCartneys shit the least...and that's the opposite of most people.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 12, 2003 10:24 pm

The only problem with the Beatles, is that most rock critics and your average muic listener alike, consider them to be the pinacle of rocknroll....likewise with Elvis, or Nirvana in the 90's.....I mean they were embodied "the spirit of the times" or whatever....it's good to rebel against that shit....Like Kurdt Cobain was a big fan of Hegel, and Schopenhauer and Nietszche "eternal recurrance" which just goes to show he believed the shit people wrote about him...John Lennon was a fan of all that shit too.....I mean I like Napolean now, but in 1850 Italy I probbably would have hated his guts....It's the same deal with The Beatles, and that's why most of the original punks, excluding the right wing Johnny Ramone (god bless him), hated them.
Clint
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 12:02 am

Since when did anybody consider the Greenhornes to be a proper mod band? In fact, in the last five years or so, maybe the only band that really captured the spirit of all those great, late 70's/early 80's Irish(Northern Ireland) and British mod bands was prolly the Exploding Hearts.

That period/area just produced so many great groups that were in no way mediocre(well, okay, they usually had a like one or two hits, and then the rest was kinda just passable, but the Beatles had that problem to). Bands like: Sema 4, The Fast Cars, the Cigarettes, Protex, Rudy, The Moondogs, The Aces, The Amber Squad, The Clerks, The Odds, Straight Up, The Letters, The Killermeters, The Deadbeats, The Crooks, The Reputations, The Purple Hearts, The Nightriders, The Exits, the VIP's, Long Tall Shorty...

As for reissue comps for that stuff, you should check out the "This is Mod" comps, ummm, the "100% British Mod" double CD is quality, the all UK/Irish "Bad Teeth" volumes are good and the reissue of the "Odds, Mods and Sods" comp is worth your time.

journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 12:06 am

Chris, are you already drunk?
dropkick
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 12:26 am

Don't forget the Merton Parkas! "Face in the Crowd", "You Need Wheels", genius.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 12:45 am

I'm not a mod or a rock I'm a "mocker".

When I hear Exploding Hearts, I think Hermans Hermits.....I like Hermans Hermits, because they were like, we're white, we don't know shit about the blues, and we're not from Liverpool and don't know shit about skiffle...so we just want to write the sweetest pop tunes we can.....how'd you guys escape from the Bomp M.S.Board?

Clint
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 5:21 am

Eeeeeeh, Herman's Hermits, while having a few decent songs, really aren't all that comparable to the Hearts. The Hermit's were a total lightweight pop band, maybe a step or two above the Archie's, in terms of "bands that a person over the age of 15 would admit to liking"... The Hermit's were like the Beatles, but with even LESS balls...

The late 70's British Mod scene was obviously a, if not THE major influence on the Hearts....

Clint
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 5:35 am

Also, I AM on the Bomp List...
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 10:06 pm

Dude Hermans Hermits were great....Peter Noone was a fucking genious...every bit as much as say John Fogerty.....my advice to you is burn your fuckin Nuggets...and rebuy all that shit on 20$ Psychadelia Reish comps like I did......and then never listen to the shit....just by the Hermans Hermits greatest hits.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 10:08 pm

What amazes me is all the garage bands, who think they're garage, but realy owe everything to Hermans Hermits...they just take themselves to fuckin seriously....no garage band that's made the top 100 has any claim to artistic/cultural significance....but they do right catchy pop songs ala Hermans Hermits...great band.
nickg
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 11:07 pm

i heard peter noone's peter exploded when he was fuckin' a chick in a hottub. anyone else hear about that? i wanna see what an exploded cock looks like.
Chris O
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 11:32 pm

Your search - bloody crotch - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:
- Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
- Try different keywords.
- Try more general keywords.
- Try fewer keywords.

Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 12:56 am

note to self: no more fucking in hot tubs.
nickg
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 12:58 am

yeah, i doubt it's true, but you gotta wonder why someone would make that up...especially about peter noone?
Human Garbage Disposal
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 3:53 am

"Goosestep Mama--Oh Yeah!"

Just trying to stick to the subject.

Dale
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 4:11 am

I thought it was Chuck Negron of Three Dog Night who had the exploding cock incident.
Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 4:53 am

no, he was the one that had a gallon of semen pumped from his stomach
Arturo
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 5:23 am

DAVECLARK 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 5:53 am

Chris Martel, Shut it!
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 5:57 am

ARTURO!!! I was reading all this shit waiting to say "DAVE CLARK FIVE" myself!!! HAR!!! Have you heard "Chaquita" from the 'Glad All Over' LP? It's a killer Vegas Grind style instro bongo nuttball. The DC5 KILL Peter Noone I hate that turd ass bitch. And Dr. Sard...Happiness Is a WARM Gun...I know you don't care...Beatles have KILLER r'n'r songs...I'm Down, for one, and some seriously swingin' mod shit like and you're bird can sing and think for yourself and it's all too much...mebbe not proper Little Richard style r'n'r but since when does music hafta be r'n'r to be good music? What about all Phil Spector stuff??? Great music but the Crystals/ Ronnettes, etc ain't r'n'r...just cuz it's from that era. Who says the Beatles are a r'n'r band???
goodgodahmighty
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 5:57 am

rod stewart and jon bon jovi had semen removed from their stomachs, as well. this i know from a very good source, Stacey Simms, who would give you a purple nurple if you touched his blue jean jacket or got to close to his seat at the back of the bus. He was a third year senior. He knew these things. circa 1986. Hot tub, though? sounds a little too farfetched. or he had the heat up way tooo high. boiled that sucker.
Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 6:48 am

snopes.com official list of semen pumpees:

The following people have had this legend attributed to them: Rod Stewart, Elton John, David Bowie, Marc Almond, Mick Jagger, Andy Warhol, Jeff Beck, Jon Bon Jovi, the drummer for Bon Jovi, the lead singer for New Kids on the Block, the Bay City Rollers (what, all of them?), Alanis Morrissette, Li'l Kim, Foxy Brown, Britney Spears, and Fiona Apple.

The amount of ejaculate is often specified: 7 ounces, 1 gallon, 10 gallons.

In some tellings, dog semen is said to have been the substance found.

Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 6:51 am

goodgodahmighty
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 3:45 pm

you are all too smart for me chris martel. but Stacy Simms woulda kicked yer ass twice for an answer like that. he was a little self-conscience about his own intelligence.
Arturo
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 8:05 pm

yea Joe, Chaquita's great. the Glad All Over lp is all great, esp I Know You. DC5 and the Troggs were the best of the brit stuff and kill a lot of the typical 60s garage stuff.
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 11:59 pm

What I meant to say last night was that Phil Spector stuff wasn't rock'n'roll til Ramones made it that way...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®