Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 1:08 am

found a copy of keep on dancing at a pawn shop today for the grand total of

$1.00
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 1:10 am

that's a great record & easy to dance to..what a bargain!
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 1:19 am

buck is a good deal for any record you enjoy. i got the mummy by bob mcfadden and dor at goodwill yesterday for a buck. also a paul stefen and the royal lancers single from '62 on citation.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 1:19 am

The 45? Was it on the Youngstown label or MGM?
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 1:23 am

i have the mgm one in my collection
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 1:27 am

The 45? Was it on the Youngstown label or MGM?

it is the LP on MGM
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 1:29 am

good fuckin' deal then...
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 2:15 am

i got the mummy by bob mcfadden and dor at goodwill yesterday for a buck.

the lp or the single? if it's the lp you scored HUGE. if it's the 45 it's still an amazing score, but for the love of pete, FLIP IT OVER!!!
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 2:29 am

Featuring future professional wrestling manager Jimmy Hart on lead vocals, right?
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 2:30 am

Featuring future professional wrestling manager Jimmy Hart on lead vocals, right?

Yep.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 3:14 am

Yep.

Jimmy Hart wasn't lead vocals.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 3:15 am | Edited by: Rich Balls

jimmy is the Ringo lookin' dude to (our) right of the singer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=a9ylOFfdRRw
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 3:40 am

Larry Raspberry sang lead
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 3:48 am

I love keep on dancing

rockin' world by Joe Strummer is a total ripoff
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 4:39 am

its the 45 and yeah the flip is better
think i play it on tomorrows podcast right before the bad sammaritans live set
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 4:43 am

my copy is cracked! i pinched it together and it plays completely free of clicks though.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 4:45 am

got a cracked hank snow 45 for a buck that plays fine
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 4:45 am

some shit on soma and a couple others too
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 5:03 am

Keep On Dancing is a great album! It's worth having for the title track and "Brown Paper Sack" alone, but the rest of it's pretty good, too.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 2:42 pm

I have only listened to a few Gentrys songs, were they ever as wild as "Wild" at any other time?
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 4:31 pm

I have the Keep ON Dancing Record its good
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 4:39 pm

Keep On Dancing is a great album!

has "So Sad" as covered by the Reigning Sound on Break up Break down as well.

did Raspberry write the songs that weren't covers? AllMusic doesn't have the credits listed
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 7:35 pm

Fuck yeah Jimmy Hart!

Dude the WWF LP from the 80's is great just for the Jimmy Hart pop song "Eat your heart out rick springfield"

Fuckin awesome song.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 8:53 pm

Jimmy Hart was the band leader for the later version on the Gentrys. They have a whole album on Shelby Singleton's SUN label that's pretty bad. Worth scooping the "I Need Love" single of it though. Total stoner rocker with serious delay on Hart's vocal. Think Osmonds "Traffic In My Mind." I got him to sign my copy and he said that song was the most embarrassing song of his career. I think it was his best.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/BuckWilders/auto5.jpg
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 11:54 pm

Larry Raspberry sang lead

Saw him with Don Nix a few years back at the Beale St. Fest. Fucking excellent show. About halfway through, for no particular reason, I leaned over to my friend and said, "'Bad Case of Loving You' would sound great right now." About 30 seconds later, THEY PLAYED IT. Weird.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 11:58 pm

I have a transluscent orange copy of "Goddess of Love" by the Gentrys on the famous Sun records. One side is stereo, the other is mono. It's beat to shit, however I paid only a meager

25cents for it...
Posted: Feb 28, 2007 5:14 am

Saw him with Don Nix a few years back at the Beale St. Fest. Fucking excellent show.

Saw him last year at the Italian fest, he and the rest of the Highsteppers still kill. They even had the guitarist for Badfinger singing some excellent powerpop/ soft rock hits. Anybody that caught LR&HS back in the 80's saw one of the most amazing bands ever. Another great, yet relatively unhearalded Memphis band. Keep on Dancing.
Posted: Feb 28, 2007 7:38 am

I just got the Gentrys LP the other day too. Good times.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 3:27 pm

Keep On Dancing is a great album!
has \\\"So Sad\\\" as covered by the Reigning Sound on Break up Break down as well.
did Raspberry write the songs that weren\\\'t covers? AllMusic doesn\\\'t have the credits listed

So Sad was originally by the Everly Bros
Hang on Sloopy by the McCoys
Do You Love Me by the Contours
Hand Jive by Johnny Otis
Don\\\'t Send Me Flowers by some band appearing on the Pebbles I guess

but I think they wrote rest of the record... anyway, they wrote amazing songs sucha as Everybody to their own kick, the goddess of love, brown paper sack, etc......

a friend of mine found the Lp in Paris for a few euros, then he offered it to me because he knew I was lookin\\\' for it ; then I offered it to a friend from Minneapolis who was looking for it and was able to put it on CD-R for me and the guy in Paris... what a travel for a nice record! almost back to home...
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:21 pm

Don\\\'t Send Me Flowers by some band appearing on the Pebbles I guess
The Breakers ,another Memphis band ( from my high school -Hillcrest). The song was written by Donna Weiss, who later wrote "Bette Davis Eyes" with Jackie Deshannon.
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:31 pm

from my high school -Hillcrest

Bishop Byrne boy here....
Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:34 pm

Saw Larry Raspberry at the High Cotton in the late 70's and it was akin to a revival tent show...he was bouncing around the stage, standing on the piano....really preaching the gospel of rock n roll....just when you thought he was ready to take a break (and give us a break) he would announce "I have not yet begun to sweat!!!" and then kill you for another few high octane tunes.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®