Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / on the off-chance someone helpful lives in brooklyn;
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 12:30 am | Edited by: queenothetwist

i know the odds are slim-to-none but we just bought a farfisa on eGay from a guy in Brooklyn who is OBVIOUSLY RETARDED and don't trust him to ship it. anybody be willing to pick it up and ship it to me for some cash?

for proof of the extent of the retardation, please take a look at the grammer, misuse of language and general spelling mistakes in auction description:

This is FaR Fisa VIB 345 synthesialom all keys and sounds work, Not many of this type left get it while you can, I will ship, but it will cost you its heavy abount 50 or more pounds, you pay for shipping I will ship it I am a honest person and I have good feed back.

his user ID is ANGLEfeathers. jeeeeziz. help.
queenothetwist at hotmail dot com bith
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 12:33 am

the one i play is closer to 100 pounds
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am

well, the guy can't read why would he be smart enough to estimate the weight of a vintage organ? but yeah - it'll probably be 80 lbs
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 2:01 am

grammer
spelling mistakes

Those that live in glass houses...
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 2:29 am

I just shipped a big painting to Brooklyn. Go to Uship.com. It's like ebay for movers. You list what you have/wt./size, etc, and movers bid on moving it. Movers who are, say, delivering a load from NYC to Dallas, will just put your shipment on their truck for a couple hundred bucks or less and drop it off. Worked well for me.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 4:03 am

touche'
ouch
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 4:24 am

Queen-O

My ex (Blair B aka Miscreant Organ) collects organs and is constantly shipping them and getting them shipped. I e-mailed him this thread to see if he can give you any advice. I know he used to use fedex ground a lot... but anyway, I am sure he will tell you something...
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 4:29 am

I'm not worried about the shipping company - I'm worried about the guy packing it. I just can't see him doing too hot a job. I guess rather than having someone pack it for me I could just give the moo-ron a step by step tutorial...
so, yeah - thanks jahna. if he has any suggestions.... double boxing comes to mind.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 4:33 am

i wouldn't buy ANYTHING (no matter how rare or hard to find) from a guy who posts a description like that, because he probably is retarded, and it's gonna be trouble. good luck.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 4:41 am

I just shipped a big painting to Brooklyn. Go to Uship.com. It's like ebay for movers. You list what you have/wt./size, etc, and movers bid on moving it. Movers who are, say, delivering a load from NYC to Dallas, will just put your shipment on their truck for a couple hundred bucks or less and drop it off. Worked well for me.

I have a painting at my folks place in Vegas I want shipped out here. it's about 4x6 feet. and it's already packed. would that cost a couple hundred?
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 5:19 am | Edited by: OrganMiscreant

My ex (Blair B aka Miscreant Organ) collects organs and is constantly shipping them and getting them shipped. I e-mailed him this thread to see if he can give you any advice. I know he used to use fedex ground a lot... but anyway, I am sure he will tell you something...

That's OrganMiscreant! <grin>

Actually, I haven't shipped one in years. I friggin' hate boxing those suckers. And then, once they're boxed, you have to find a way to lug 'em around. Pain in the ass! And the ones I shipped were heavy-ass suckers, too.

As to FedEx Ground...I dunno these days. Really, I've had issues w/both UPS and FedEx. Note: I'm saying this from the receiver's side of things, not that of the shipper.

To ship one, however, I recommend the following:
1) Wrap the hell out of it in bubble wrap. And I mean do it over and over again.
2) Double-box it, possibly with an extra layer of bubble-stuff around the inside box. Really, if the organ has a lid, the insides and the keys, etc. are not going to get hurt. Those lids were usually made of pretty strong wood. Of course, if yours doesn't have a lid, then, uh...Yeah, make sure s/he at least double-boxes it.
3) Make sure it's insured for what you've paid for it.

I've bought a bunch of organs on eBay, but probably more via Craigslist. I just prefer that, 'cuz I can check it out first.

The VIP 345 is pretty cool, as Farfisa 70s organs go. A friend of mine had one and it sounded great through his Leslie. Really thick, chunky, and brutal. It doesn't have the classic 60s organ sound, but I still like the sound.

You can read more about them on the Combo Organ Heaven Farfisa page.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 5:36 am

I'm not worried about the shipping company - I'm worried about the guy packing it. I just can't see him doing too hot a job.

Liz is worried about how the guy will put his organ in the box.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 8:15 am

A couple hundred to ship a painting? I don't understand. I've taken large amps to the UPS store and had them pack and ship them for less than $50.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 8:58 am

You're a touche'.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 2:25 pm

that blair's a stand up guy - most dudes complain about wrapping their organ before putting it in the box
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 2:26 pm

oh damn, i missed JJ's organ in the box joke before my post -- oh well
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 2:29 pm

step 1 cut a hole in the box.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 3:15 pm

Re: Shipping paintings. A large (4X5) painting under glass can weigh 60-80 pounds. UPS and FedEx charge out the ass for moving it, plus insurance. More than $200. Trust me, I checked. These things need to be handled with care. The advantage to UShip is that it's real human beings you meet and talk to and their record of customer satisfaction is online so you can see how reliable they are. It's just an option to consider. If you can get done for less, go for it.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 5:02 pm

My ex (Blair B aka Miscreant Organ)

available hot cans alert!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®