Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / How to handle a Chatty Cathy
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:25 pm

I love the advice that is doled out here. I work with this girl who is bored a lot and keeps coming up behind me to talk to me. It doesn't seem to matter if I am typing, eating, reading - obviously busy. These chats go on for long periods of time, numerous times a day. It is really starting to grate on the old nerve. Any suggestions on how to politely (I DO have work with her) make her lessen the frequency and length of these visits?
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:30 pm

Ask her if she'll pray with you. Right now. Don't let her answer. Then just begin, "O malevolent and powerful Dark Lord Satan...."
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:31 pm

Make up your own sign language.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:33 pm

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:33 pm

Have a bag of chips or crackers at the ready. Eat immediately as she walks up. Be completely oblivious when you answer her, that you are spitting crumbs on her while talking.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:34 pm

Be really short (but not rude) with her when you're busy. Occasionally don't answer her, and if she says something about it say "sorry I'm really busy". If that doesn't work just say "can we talk about this later? I'm really busy now". If that doesn't work, punch her in the vagina.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:34 pm | Edited by: T J Honeysuckle

Put your hand on her thigh and ask her out. This may work especially well if you are a woman.
If she goes for it, well, just hope she doesn't talk in bed.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:35 pm

Interrupt her and ask if she can check out your "rash". "Down there".
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:36 pm

Interrupt her and ask if she can check out your "rash". "Down there".
Unless she is a whattayacallit, skin doctor, in which case you are playing right into her hands.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:37 pm

Have a bag of chips or crackers at the ready. Eat immediately as she walks up. Be completely oblivious when you answer her, that you are spitting crumbs on her while talking.

This did happen two hours ago, and she has been in a meeting since, so maybe this will work
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:37 pm

Take a jacket to work. As soon as she starts talking, ask her if she thinks it's cold. Then put on your jacket, but zip/button it until the neckline is on top of your head.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:37 pm | Edited by: T J Honeysuckle

This did happen two hours ago, and she has been in a meeting since, so maybe this will work

Woah!
Jack Stands- sees all, knows all!
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:38 pm

Every time she comes over, make a sour face and ask, "Jesus! Do you smell that? What the fuck IS that?"
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:39 pm

If she's religious, make fun of Christianity constantly. If she's not religious, try and bring her to Jesus.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:41 pm

Show her a fuzzy picture of an allegedly "giant" squid, and then talk for hours about how you caught it.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:41 pm

If it really is cold in your office, sit on your hands; but every once in a while, move your wrists and moan "Ooooooohhh" and "Mmmmmmm" and "That's so niiiiiice" randomly.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:44 pm

Every time she comes over, make a sour face and ask, "Jesus! Do you smell that? What the fuck IS that?"

Then say "oh, nevermind i shit my pants."
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:44 pm

that doesn't work, punch her in the vagina.

Yeah, I have tried ignoring and appearing to be extremely engrossed in my work- maybe I'll have to punch her in the crotch. Heehee. I knew I would get all kinds of good answers here!!
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:48 pm

Make a habit of making the "O.K." hand gesture. The other part of the habit should be always sticking your index finger on the other hand through the "O" part. Repeat over and over again.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:49 pm

put on headphones and ignore her
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:51 pm

Put headphones on her and ignore her.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:52 pm

headphones! So brilliantly simple!!
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 10:52 pm

crunch your phone on her head and ignore her cries
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 12:07 am

i've always found that a few strips of aluminum around your head helps to keep the voices down
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 12:08 am

I'm with the headphones. I wear 'em at the gym whether they're on or not.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 12:30 am

tell the person you're hungry and have to go the pharmacy and get some eggs at the store on your way home and get some cigarettes and then go to the swap meet on saturday for jeff becasue he drove last week to practice and you have adhd and you should know that I really have alot of work to do but, I'm not sure if I have time because Im having people over from outta of town tomorrow night for dinner so I'll need to get the soup and meat ready tonight so I don't have a coronary on friday with trying to get the food done in time and I'll never make it to chris's house though shit, I'm really in a hurry, I gotta go pee and walk away...This chick will be like damn, what a freak...and never bother you again. Hopefully by blasting it right back at her she won't care to talk anymore. Fight fire with fire. Don't let her get a word in edgewise.

Helchedda, who are you anyway?
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 12:33 am

only answer with grunts and dont look at her
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 1:43 am

These people feed on dismissal. The best defense is a strong offence. You're much better showing a lot of interest in her when she approaches, followed with really personal, probing questions. She'll then see you as the Chatty Kathy and avoid you like the plague. Trust me, it works.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 4:55 pm

Helchedda, who are you anyway?

I moved from LA to PDX in July and joined the Goner board to find the good shows in town. It has turned out to be a wealth of info & entertainment! Thank you all.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 6:23 pm

much welcums and hope you like PDX.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 8:33 pm

moved from LA to PDX
does your man wear big glasses?
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 9:17 pm

We do freakin love it here. And yes, my man does wear big antiojos...
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 9:17 pm

Leon
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 9:28 pm

Noel
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 9:30 pm

Edgar
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 9:44 pm

Oh, sorry Edgar...
I have always called Noel Leon.
Miss Guilty Hearts. Come up here!
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 10:13 pm

Ok, now that everybody know's everybody...Let's fucking PARTY! Coming to my part tonight Bazooka?
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 10:43 pm

Who the fuck are you people?
Posted: Feb 24, 2007 5:07 am | Edited by: DevilDog

I work with a fat chick that wouldn't leave me alone until I told her to "quit waddling over to my work station and bothering me with her retarded shit". In other words, try being honest. If you can handle her crying and the loss of 3 days of pay from the suspension.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®