Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Iggy Pop needs to stop.
Quinn
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 8:42 am

I think it's time iggy hung up his mike, I just saw him on letterman with sum41 backing him up, and of course he let that annoying pooppunk kid sing back ups.
(shudder)
sherman
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 10:26 am

Back off, Quinn. Iggy put on a rockshow last year (2 years ago?) at the New Daisy that would put anyone to shame. Age is not a factor with this freak 'o nature...
sherman
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 10:27 am

Oh, who needs to stop? How bout takin' on these '80s retreads like flock of seagulls or madonna.
sherman
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 10:36 am

Dave Matthews. Bob Costas. David Lettermen. Saturday Night Live...Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney...Sunrise Pontiac guy.
unfriendly1
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 5:49 pm

In New Orleans, The Stooges where BRILLIANT. Iggy harrassed the mega-fest crowd, calling them "fat fucking turds", "stupid motherfuckers" & "bald pricks"...and telling them that they "suck like the bands that they love".

I am MR. NEGATIVITY, and went to this show with a bad attitude after being awake for 50+ hours & driving from N.O. to Memphis & back again...and then heading straight to the show Saturday night.

I predicted the Stooges would be "horrible" & that there was no way they could put on a respectable show on a huge (bigger than my entire block) stage...but they made me eat my jaded words.

The crowd of MARILYN MANSON & STAIND fans around me HATED them & were screaming at the stage, telling the Stooges that they suck.

Maybe they do suck most of the time--and I shudder to think what the Letterman performance was like.

But on this particular night--Iggy jumped, crawled, & strutted like he was 20 again...and they were simply amazing.

unfriendly1
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 5:50 pm

In New Orleans, The Stooges where BRILLIANT. Iggy harrassed the mega-fest crowd, calling them "fat fucking turds", "stupid motherfuckers" & "bald pricks"...and telling them that they "suck like the bands that they love".

I am MR. NEGATIVITY, and went to this show with a bad attitude after being awake for 50+ hours & driving from N.O. to Memphis & back again...and then heading straight to the show Saturday night.

I predicted the Stooges would be "horrible" & that there was no way they could put on a respectable show on a huge (bigger than my entire block) stage...but they made me eat my jaded words.

The crowd of MARILYN MANSON & STAIND fans around me HATED them & were screaming at the stage, telling the Stooges that they suck.

Maybe they do suck most of the time--and I shudder to think what the Letterman performance was like.

But on this particular night--Iggy jumped, crawled, & strutted like he was 20 again...and they were simply amazing.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 6:17 pm

So basically your saying that Iggy shouldn't hang it up, because at 65 he's still better than all the new music out there....makes sense, I hate rocknroll.
jonhatesyou
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 6:26 pm

Saw the Stooges in Detroit a few months ago and it was absoulutley the best show I ever experienced. Granted, the Letterman show last night wasn't the best and Sum41 should just go rot somewhere, but I just look at it like the big man(iggy) helping out the lesser/weaker man(Sum41). I'm already thinking too much about this, but the fact is you cannot Iggy no matter how you look at it.
jonhatesyou
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 6:30 pm

I mean you cannot Top Iggy no matter how you look at it...Sorry I must be still drunk
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 6:34 pm

Dude are you from Russia? The big man's supposed to stomp out and annhilate the little man...especially when it's Sum 41...The is America!
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 6:34 pm

I blame America for my bad grammer and poor math scores...
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 6:36 pm

Pardon me but the new Iggy album is the sonic likeness of having your genitals stapled to a rabid dog's tongue.
unfriendly1
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 6:42 pm

Is that a positive or negative review?
Mr E Train
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 6:55 pm

Didn't Iggy do that once in a show back around '73?
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 7:04 pm

While i'm sure there is a silent minority that would enjoy having their testes mauled by untamed beast i'm not amongst this roving degenerate flock. Consider this a negative review.
Quinn
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 10:41 pm

Look I like iggy as much as the next palooka, and yes audiences nation wide I'm sure look like fat fucking turds, and I'm not completely against postmortem reunions of bands like the stooges or rocketfromthetombs, I'm sure they are good shows. I know the show you're talking about sherman, I was there, and it did rock. What I guess I'm trying to say is that it saddens me to see greats like Iggy make records with little twerps like sum fucking 41, I'd rather see him never rock again then to stoop that low.
unfriendly1
Posted: Nov 7, 2003 11:44 pm

Gotcha. I shoulda figured it was a negative review based on my one & only listen to that "Skull Rings" song...which IS a PAINFUL aural experience.

The rabid dog thing peaked my interest though...so I needed clarification.

I'd also like to set the record straight and say that I DID NOT post my Stooges gig review twice...and I have no idea why it appears that way.

I should also clarify that I OBVIOUSLY meant to type The Stooges WERE brilliant, not WHERE brilliant.

People of the board, please excuse my sloppiness--I was slightly distracted this morning because I was in the middle of getting fired from my McJob.

Free at last, free at last...

See Ya'll @ The Unemployment Office,
U1

sherman
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 12:46 am

Whose a palooka? then quit watching letterman! here's a few more that could quit, please. any cast member of friends--esp. that david schwimmer guy , Keanu, J-Lo & any offshoot, Roseanne's ex husband, Corey B. Trotz, Peter Gammons, dell commercials with interns, & how bout the whole rock 103 staff?
Human Garbage Disposal
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 2:17 am

I'm just surprised there's someone from NOLA on this board that actually was in town Nov 1 to see it!

Good.

Quinn
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 2:23 am

You can criticize me for being a couch potato all you want when you know good and well we're having this conversation on a computer, like two ham radio nyrds.
sherman
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 2:33 am

What are you talking about? I'm at Big Daddy's bowling up a storm and sending my messages in on a palm pilot, nyrd!
eric o
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 3:00 am

yes, the unfriendly one diggety-dogged right outta memphis to catch the Stooges. gotta admire the hustle.

corey b trotz has to quit? awwww. you want more john E cockran? i still dig corey b.

and if aisha tyler is still on friends, i hope she's getting some of that money.

decadentjew
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 3:12 am

I saw him at Tower in NY a few nights ago with the Ashtons backing him up. It was pretty cool. There are about 5 older groups that get together because its cool to do, Ihave to admit I was thinking the same for the Stooges, but it was pretty cool.
sherman
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 3:35 am

Ah! Now you're talkin'! Corey B vs. J. Cochran! Loser leave town match. Or how about loser never come back to town. I'll stake money on that one. Actually let's put all lawyers in the ring together for a texas death match. Could be a good use of the Tomb of Doom.
Uncle Dan
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 3:52 am

I agree--the Iggy show in Memphis a couple years ago on the Beat 'Em Up tour was un-fucking-believeable. That Beat 'Em Up album is pretty damn smokin', too--almost made up for Avenue B.
Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 4:01 am

Who has seen the Corey B. commercial in which he gets hired by aliens? Who?
sherman
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 4:15 am

Speaking of great tv, that piece of shit Sat. nite live has hit new lows, but last Saturday's outcast visit was the bomb. (Is that still a cool word for honkies to use?) The dancing on their 2 songs was the best I've seen since Fresh Fest II.
joe danger
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 4:25 am

you gotta think about this- iggy just is who he is. he is iggy pop, and although not everything he does is cool, he ain't gonna stop cuz he's iggy pop. i think you have to grade with a curve once someone hits 50. i like folks who continue to rock past thier prime. i may not like thier music, but i respect the lifelong drive. half the folks on this board are in thier 30's. should they(we) stop? and this, my friends, is why i love dead moon so much.
STARCHILD
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 4:26 am

JUST REVIEWED MY COVERT NEW DAISY VIDEO AND IT WAS INTENSE (UNTIL THE BOUNCERS CAUGHT ME AND GOT MY TAPE BUT I HAD ANOTHER ONE HA HA). THE SHOW WAS MORE TYPICAL OF IGGY'S PREVIOUS SHOWS IN MEMPHIS AND HANRAHAN FROM PAST YEARS UNLIKE THE PERFORMANCE IN ST. LOUIS A FEW DAYS LATER AT THE STAID PAGEANT.
mattpendleton
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 4:36 am

it's funny how everyone has come up to me and asked did you go to the IGGY POP show?? and I say no...I went to the STOOGES show...and it was great. I hat "idol" worship every time Iggy plays it doesn't matter what city it's in..the local lame "Music" critic in the paper describes him as a punk rock "ICON". god i hate that word. I mean iggy is just a fucking guy. a guy that wrote great songs and did some great shit when he was like 19-25. and then did some questionable shit and then did some awfull shit. and he's been riding on his "noteriety" ever since...but ultimatly he's like lou reed with the velvets...he was/is a great member of a great band..and he hasn't done SHIT after quiting said band that even comes close to compairing...cause without a REAL band...they suck. and ron and scotty ashton are nothing if not REAL. TOO real...that's probably why iggy went on letterman with a bunch of cutesy punksters so he can look hip and people will buy his schtick...I mean the letterman crowd might get bummed if Iggy showed up with a couple of middle age lower class ugly ass ANN ARBOR rock dudes that don't look like rock stars and have no proficiency at looking pretty or kissing letterman's or the audience's ass. I mean ig wants to play with the ashtons so he can gain back some "rock" credibility(after slagging them in interviews and doing ZERO to help THIER careers for the last THIRTY YEARS)...but if he has to screw them over like he did last time he'll do it in a second...believe that...and by the way if a band was truelly great EVER in thier career...then they will probably be worth going to see at a re-union show...it's only those bands that weren't great to begin with that suck at re-union shows anyway...anyway the stooges show was fucking great just to watch ron and scott aston rock that shit...I actually thought that IGGY's bullshit rant about "not getting played on FM radio" was detrimental the the show..I mean, stop whining about how the audience sucks and (what do you expect when you're opening for M.Mansion??) and sing the fucking song.it's all hypocritical crap anyway...IGGY solo crap HAS been played on FM radio--and car commercials and trainspotting ..etc..so anyway iggy's little rants deducted points but I'll tell you the two factors that made the show for me...1. they did not do any crap off of Raw Power...they did first two lp's only, and 2. Steve the sax player from funhouse was there on like the last 4 songs...fucking right...
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 7:50 pm

Somebody told me the Stooges show costed like 40 bucks....

Besides that Iggy teamed up with Sum 41, for the same reason that Madonna just did a video with Britney Spears...because thier PR man said it'd be good business, and 13 year olds would still be buying his records.

Iggy probbably figures that he's saving Rocknroll if young kids are still buying his music.

I like the Stooges...but I'm not into it.

I probbably won't even have a music career untill I'm in my 30's...and let me tell you, there's plenty of role models out their besides Iggy, who played out till the day they died...Dead Moon is a good one.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 8, 2003 7:51 pm

P.S. I can only hope to become a ham radio nerd....wasn't that more of a 70's thing? I was born too late.
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Nov 9, 2003 10:46 pm

What publicists and A&Rs fail to realize is that the american public is obsessed with youth. Just because Madonna's withered tramp ass is smooching america's current favorite "virginal" twat doesn't mean that her new album isn't gonna stop stinking up the bargin bins.

I thought Beat'em Up was good when i bought it. However, the neo-metal grooves soon brought night terrors. It now is fecal to me.

aisha tyler is damn near the embodiment of the perfect women to me.

until she opens her mouth.

the fifth wheel will never be the same.

joe danger
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 5:44 am

yes, aisha is a cutie.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 10:34 pm

Yeah, what I've been thinking about since reading this post...is just how Rocknroll is obsessed with youth.....I mean I guess most people think it started as a youth culture and all....but I think of it more as just being white guys ripping off the blues.

Like when I was in Memphis, I remember babbling to somebody about how I don't give a fuck about Rocknroll....I mean most peoples conceptions of rocknroll are totally cliche anyway...I'm not saying there's not alot of relevant crap in there...like self-destruction, many people consider me to be self-destruction, but I don't...Rocknroll doesn't have to be completely about youth and self destruction and crap.....I mean I guess my point is that I don't understand why Iggy Pop feels like he needs to play for young kids, and like hang out with Sum 41 and shit...the underground guys are just as guilty of worshipping youth as the media is...I don't understand why it matters if I get a band started at 24 or 34.....the only difference is that I'll be older and wiser, but I might have shit like a day job and un-hip wife.....but I'm betting that I'm too fucked up for any of that shit. John Lee Hooker worked in a carfactory for 10 years...fuckin Merle Haggard was in jail for 10 years...and didn't even play guitar for 5 years after Buddy Holly died...Albert Collins was so jaded on music he quit the music business all together, and had to get rediscovered 20 years later...that's pretty common with blues guys. ACDC and Motorhead are just as fuckin relevant now as they were 20 years ago. I mean Iggy's rich enough, why should he even give a fuck about selling anymore records.....the whole scenerios making me doubt his genious....still it's nice to know he's still entertaining hardcore rock fans like us. This is realy just a continuation of all the crappy music he did in the 80's and 90's...eh....

Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 10:46 pm

"Butt Town" is by FAR the best Iggy Pop song. Better than any Stooges shit. "Cold Metal" comes in a close second. Wake up, people.
Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 10:52 pm

Iggy's work with guitarist Steve Jones was untouchable.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 11:00 pm

the psychadelic furs.

I'm becoming a bigger Elvis Costello fan, than Iggy fan.

eric o
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 11:12 pm

BUTT TOWN makes me giggle.
Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 11:17 pm

"You have to wipe the shit from the bottom of your shoes in ________" In ________ ??????
Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 11:19 pm

I can't stop thinking of the spoken break in "Candy."

"It's been 12 long years, Candy..."

WHAT??

No, I can stop thinking about that.

Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 11:20 pm

On second thought, maybe "Naughty Little Doggy" is the best Iggy to start with. Yep.
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 1:09 am

Everyone knows that Zombie Birdhouse was the pinnacle of Iggy's genius.
Quinn
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 1:54 am

Kill City is nifty, cuz they had to let Ig out of the nuthouse to go to the studio.
journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 2:03 am

I'll take "Dog Food" any day.
Or "Pumpin' For Jill".
journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 2:06 am

Or the groundbreaking work with Medeski, Martin and Wood on Avenue B.
STARCHILD
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 4:19 am

IGGY SAID YOU'RE ALWAYS ON THE RIGHT SIDE SIDE WHEN YOU'RE A CONSERATIVE AND HE'S RIGHT. RIGHT?
STARCHILD
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 4:21 am

THAT'S CONSERVATIVE AS IN YOUR MOMMY.
fierydrunk
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 4:52 am

And, Earles, please don't forget the Ronnie Spector/Eddie Moneyesque yelps of Kate of the B52's in "Candy".
Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 5:14 am

I'll repeat...."It's been twelve long years, Candy..."
Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 5:17 am

I'm going to rock "Brick By Brick" tonight. At the Hi-Tone. When I DJ. Side One straight thru.
Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 5:24 am

Oooooh......let's talk about the proto-wigger stylings of Lou Reed's Mistrial. "The Original Wrapper" - who can deny the power? More important than White Light by a country mile.
Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 5:26 am

K. Young, I like to think of those yelps as more "Kate From The B-52's In 1990" - esque.
fierydrunk
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 5:36 am

Touche.

My intent of even mentioning "genius" (i.e. Money/Spector) was only to compare with "utter shit".

Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 5:41 am

That shit's hot!!!
fierydrunk
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 5:52 am

CANDYCANDYCANDYCANDYCANDY...

YELP!

Chris O
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 10:28 am

monty buckles and i witnessed the godlike power of the stooges last night in LA (at the pretty wack matt groening curated all tomorrow's parties festival) and they fucking ruled! if they get into the rnr hall o' lame this year i bet they'll tour next summer. i hope so, that shit was hottt. i like when bands play the same song twice in a set and they did Now I wanna be your dog twice. The new songs sound fine. Then Monty ate a goat burrito.

the mars volta are just about the lamest band i've ever seen.

journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 10:41 am

Bet the Mars Volta are the backing band on the next Iggy LP.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 9:00 pm

I think Iggy and Lou both made some fucking horrible music in the 80's.....Bowie made horrible music.....actually I've been listening to an inordinate amount of Peter Gabriel lately on easy listening stations (I'm not kidding).....I don't knock people for going to see the Stooges....I feel very fortunate for getting the chance to see The Ramones and Joe Strummer.....but for some reason I'm just not all that interested....
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 11, 2003 9:02 pm

What I do find offensive is all the hipsters I see wearing Iggy Pop shirts...and when you talk to them they fuckin hate The Ramones.....like 3 years ago it was sort of understandable...but even now after the garage boom/fad they still fucking hate The Ramones...it makes me sick.
SonicG
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 7:03 am

Iggy is a mini-industry and I'm sure Sum 41 was his handler's idea. I'm just hope that the Asheton's get a decent payday out of this. Isn't Ron living in hie Mom's trailer or something. Sitting around and hoping that Iggy will do anything both rocking and non-pandering that can even get near what oldsters like, say, the Nomads or the Cowgirls or even Detroit brethren Scott Morgan, are doing, is absurdis extremis. Iggy's sitting around a million dollar condo in Florida snorting coke and getting down with chicks half his age. Ron lives with his mom in Ann Arbor (?). Go figure...
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 7:07 am

I hope Dave Alexander's family is getting something out of this media circus!
Dale
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 7:30 am

A few years back I was talking to some A&R guy from Virgin about the just releases Iggy album (I think it was "Naughty Little Doggie"). I made a comment about how lame it was and said something like "Poor Iggy."

The A&R guy said "Yeah! What do you think he should do to bring legitamacy back to his career?"

I siad something like Iggy should get a bunch of modern band who's music owes a debt to the Iggy sound, get the to write songs for or with him and have them back him in the studio for the ones they wrote. "Not necessarily bands that sound like him or the Stooges but bands that are obviously fans."

I was thinking more along the lines of bands like the Rip Offs, Oblivians etc...

The A&R guy said "Excellent idea! I know what your saying. Bush, Pearl Jam, No Doubt and the like. The problem is that would their contracts allow them to do this if they're on another label." I bet that dumbass is the one who brainstormed the Sum41 idea.

mika de sica
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 1:58 pm

I'd like to know if Iggy really would be interested to record with the bands like say, Oblivians...Or is he just been lead astray by these record industry people? Or just after money and stuff...well, he's probably both.

If the record label/ A&R guys decide...that really tells something about Iggy too.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 13, 2003 9:59 pm

Iggy is a rich old fuck....he takes pain killers to get on stage everynight, he's got a black livin wife, who looks like she got her start at Hooters, he lives in like Miami.....who give a fuck what he does.....Have you all seen Patti Smith lately? I haven't but everybody I've talked to says that she's as good as ever, and has realy evolved with ther music....She fuckin has to take pain killers to get on stage every night too.....Iggy dug his grave let him lie in it...that's what I say..fuck him.
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Nov 14, 2003 3:30 am

Danger doesn't bode well with a man in his mid-50s. He's riding this money train till his number is up. Why would he want to release inferno-hot rock stompers with respectable bands when he can have the pus-laden youth kick down the door of their local Sam Goody to get his new Sum 41 duet? Makes perfect sense to me. I'd actually like to see the demographic for those in line with a copy of that inspid "Skull Ring" album clasped in their sweaty mitts.

All about marketing fellas.

Jakey Stiff
A&R, J Records

STARCHILD
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 4:38 am

ANYBODY KNOW HOW IGGY GOT OUT OF THE DRAFT? I JUST WISHED I HAD ENOUGH BALLS TO DO THAT WHEN I WAS DRAFTED AND SENT TO NAM. (I SPENT THE SUMMER OF LOVE IN SIN CITY (AN KHE)) AIRBORNE!
Helen Wheels
Posted: Nov 15, 2003 11:10 am

After embarrassing myself dancing to that "Stick it deep inside" song (I didn't know the words, but thought the music was unbeatable), Poison 13 used to always play it, and yes, I was the only person who felt like dancing, well, I give Mr. Igg a pass there. Songs are boss.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 16, 2003 12:34 am

How'd Iggy dodge the draft? did he put bars of soap in his armpits or what? Fred Cole spent much of the 60's and early 70's dodging the draft...That guy is so cool.

My uncle was 18 numbers away from getting drafted when Nam ended...he was a lucky hippi bastard.

illiterategenius
Posted: Nov 16, 2003 8:17 pm

For the record, I feel that Avenue B is a great album.
Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 5:34 am

That's a great record.....in BUTT TOWN.
STARCHILD
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 5:42 am

IGGY BEAT THE DRAFT (AND HIS MEAT) BY GETTING AN ERECTION (HARD ON) DURING HIS PHYSICAL. YOU KNOW WHERE ALL THE GUYS STAND NAKED IN A LINE AND BEND OVER AND HOLD THEIR ASS CHEEKS OPEN WIDE WHILE SOME ARMY VET CHECKS FOR HEMMOROIDS. THE LUCKY GUYS HAD EM. LOVE IT!
fierydrunk
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 5:49 am

Um, who knows what sorts of pills we'll be taking to "get up on stage" when we're all 50?
STARCHILD
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 7:20 am

VIAGRA GERITOL
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 10:13 pm

Kedomine....
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 17, 2003 10:18 pm

Horse Tranqiulizers?!?! "No, not horse tanquilisers."
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 24, 2003 10:36 pm

I just found some shit famed Jack Endino wrote about Iggy Pop's remix of Raw Power that came out like 3 years ago I guess?

quote:
Iggy/Stooges "Raw Power" (Remixed) Columbia Legacy
An unexpected surprise. Iggy has remixed this legendary proto-punk record (1973?) for a CD re-reissue. Only been out a week or so, but Crider snagged a copy and brought it down to the studio. Verdict: I approve. Know what old Ig did? This "remix" sounds just as fucked up as the original, and yet... better. It most definitely is NOT "cleaned up" in any sense of the word. What it is, is it just makes more sense, somehow; things are clearer, without necessarily sounding clearer... There's guitar stuff I never noticed before. But all the things I would expect of a modern remix, y'know, lets add some highs to the drums, crank up the kick and snare, BALANCE everything, NOPE! If I tried to make a record that sounded like this now, everyone from band to record label would have a heart attack and probably sue me. You can even hear the unbelievable amounts of analog distortion in the original recordings. Awesome.

What this record also is, is LOUD. Literally. I was comparing it to a bunch of standard heavy rock CD's I had with me (like SG, AIC, Prong, Nirv, even Bjork), using a CD player hard wired to the mixing board at Hanzsek Audio. "Raw Power" came up 4 to 6 dB louder than the loudest CD I could find! (6 dB=twice as loud.) Seriously! As an engineer I don't know how the hell they did this (a clue: no kick drum = no loud transients to bring down the maximum average level), but the liner notes make clear that Iggy insisted on it. Every mastering engineer in the country is soon going to hate hearing about this record. Talk about preserving your punk cred - I get a big smile just describing it.

Pear
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 1:25 am

I thought the deep underlying meaning was to cash in?
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 2:28 am

I liked the Raw Power remix but the higher levels made certain melodies on some songs (Hard to beat for explain) hard to discern through the red line compared the Bowiefied original.

finnark
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 4:22 am

I fucking loved it. The first time I put it on I thought my goddamn speakers were going to explode. I had to keep looking at the receiver to confirm that the volume was still set at the 9:00 o'clock position. I still use it as a lease-breaker and whenever I'm really pissed off.
Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 5:42 am

another good record that's mixed like that is JET GENERATION. I had it at a radio station and if you played it at the "normal" level that most CDs are optimized for, it would peg the VU meters all the way into the red. I have no idea how they did that.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 6:35 pm

Yeah, When I got that album I thought it'd break my speakers, and sometimes I swear I can hear them ripping.

All the VU's got pushed in the red.

I don't know how they do it....but I mixed all the shit I did on a cassette 4 track that loud....just by watching the vu meters on my stereo and mixing it that loud!

Maybe Iggy is a studio mastermind.....but I think of him as a crude ole codder...more like Teengenerate than I don't fuckin know, Pink Floyd, the White Stripes.

I'll bet he did something real fucking crude and simple, before he did anything all hi-tech like....even if he has genious engineers helping him.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 6:38 pm

Also I think it's easy to do, if you mix all your instruments in the red to begin with with...which I'm positive they did.....and then you just let all the tracks bleed together....it's easy to mix that loud.
journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 25, 2003 8:48 pm

We have Doctor Sardonicus confined to one thread.
And you said it couldn't be done.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 6:36 am

Steve Albini on Raw Power (somewhere towards the middle)...and lo-fi.

quote:
BB: One of the things I've been noticing is during the past year a lot of things have been described as lo-fi, or whatever and there have even been articles that actually talk of a lo-fi "revolution..."

Steve: It's another......

BB:...is it just another trend or.......?

Bob: It isn't even a trend -- it's a "riotgrrl," it's just the latest label.....

Steve: The thing that should clue everybody inthat it's meaningless is that they're using this term lo-fi to describe records that have nothing in common with each other and they don't even sound particularly low fidelity.

BB:...like Liz Phair and Lou Barlow feature in some indie rock magazine...

Bob: Why would you even call a Liz Phair albumlo-fi I have no idea. It's a pretty bad comparison...

Steve: Yeah, it's a conventional studio recording.Or, why would you call...the Blues Explosion albums have been called lo-fi, and I know the Blues Explosion albums, they're very meticulously made...

Bob:...they're very meticulously produced.

Steve: It's not super-production, it's not highbudget recording, but there is a lot of attention to detail paid to those recordings and to compare that to an early Sebadoh record or a Shrimper tape, I mean there's absolutely no comparison, they have nothing to do with each other.

Bob: It's like they're using lo-fi to describe a type of music rather than a recording method which is what lo-fi really means.

Steve: If lo-fi has a meaning...

Bob: ...not like a type of music...

Steve: if lo-fi as a technical description hasany kind of meaning it would be the opposite of high fidelity...

Bob: Low fidelity.

Steve: An inaccurate or purposely colored recording and that's not what a lot of these people are trying to do.

Bob: There are records that are called lo-fi recordsthat are recorded in commercial 24 track studios that's complete....

Steve: That's preposterous

BB: I'm kind of expecting to hear that maybe thefollow-up Weezer album was tracked at A&M Studios and then called lo-fi.

Bob: They'll record it on the Studer 24 trackand then say "How can we make the drums sound horrible?"

Steve: And the easiest way to do that is to hire a team of professionals to work on it for you. [Everyone laughs, chucklechuckle chuckle]

Bob: Run it through a boombox, and then put iton the 24 track! That's a hi-fi recording.

BB: I heard that the lo-fi sound that was associated with Pavement came about because they got some free recording time fromsome engineer...

Steve & Bob: Their drummer....

Steve: Technical limitations breed invention.

Bob: Yeah, technical limitations and the ineptitude of the recording engineer.

Steve: Or, I mean if you listen to a lot of stuff done in the 60's and 70's was done on crude set-ups that sound totally pristine and then there were things done on almost virtually identical equipment and it sounds horrible. It's all a matter of application and ability. I mean, a record like "Raw Power," it's one of the worst recordings ever made, and that was done in professional hands.

BB: That was a 16 track recording?

Steve: It's a 16 track recording and at the time 16 track was the state of the art. That's what happens. and then you comparethat with some of the ZZ Top records that were recorded on really low budgetsand were recorded on 8 track and sound fucking amazing. There's really no aesthetic implied by the working conditions of the studio. If the studio is conducive to a broad spectrum of sounds, anything from pristine to utterly unintelligible gibberish can be done.

Bob: Yeah, the term lo-fi is kind of bullshitthe way it's being used today.

BB: The only part of the Pavement story that Ireally thought was interesting was that apparently at the same time therewas a heavy metal album being tracked in the same studio and since theydidn't know anything about recording they just left all the eq settings,patches and everything up and recorded that way. I don't know if that'sfolklore but...

Steve: Sounds like a lie!

Bob: That sounds like bullshit!

Steve: If you listen to the early Pavement singlesthey knew what they were doing, they may not have had the same aesthetic that they have now but those records sound intentionally tweaked and fucked and that was when they were an interesting band, to my taste, when they were doing things that didn't sound like other people's records.

Bob: That was the typical, "the guys go intothe studio and the engineer has no idea what type of music they're recording so it's what they want, filtered through this engineer who has no grasp of what they're trying to do so that doubly fucks it up. [Todd the drummer shows up. The other guy asks a question about how Shellac is a hobby and all that...Steve says it's Todd's free vacation...no targets or goals...keepworking at a comfortable pace..treat with other with dignity...hope tonever have a record we have to apologize for, never play in a situation we're not comfortable with....]

razor a go go
Posted: Nov 27, 2003 8:19 am

it's great to be steve albini.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 28, 2003 4:40 am

Actually I've been playing on this messageboard that Albini's a regular poster on....it's basically geek shit, I'm not going to get into it...but what's funny is that famous scenesters got to much time on thier hands too....and beside that he know's shit loads and is incredibly nice and helpfull....I like him.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®