Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Any bicyclists out there? (crazings)
Posted: Feb 20, 2007 5:01 pm

I think this is pretty incredible.
Posted: Feb 20, 2007 5:57 pm

"It's more insane to me working at some place only for money and not because you feel it's improving your person or someone else's, than to be thrifty for 10 months in order to do what you love," Baumberger explained on his Web site, www.lineofsightproject.com."

amen
Posted: Feb 20, 2007 10:58 pm

At the Memphis Hightailers meeting last week, we met a guy who made a similar trip. He left from Canada and rode all the way to Argentina. I don't think there was a cause behind it except that he didn't want to work or be in school.

His pictures were amazing and the guy was pretty cool. He leaves for Africa in a few weeks to continue his journey around the world.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 12:42 am

wow. pretty damn awesome. sometimes i wish i could do something like that, but i'm lazy and not very good with being out in the cold. i wuss out on driving my bike to the bar when it's below 40.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 1:28 am

He should ride back north sideways
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 4:59 pm

being out in the cold.

now that it's starting to warm up here all the cute little hipster kids with shiny new fixed gear bikes are trickling out from their dens. i guess the salted streets tend to ruin their white belts.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 5:09 pm

That's quite a long trip. Almost as far as my commute to work from one ghetto to another each day.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 5:10 pm

I love riding bikes more than almost anything. Today is the first week I'll be able to ride since I have a road bike and the weather has been shit.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 5:12 pm

Also, that kid is tough as shit.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 6:01 pm

Yeah, this is the first week of nice weather here. I'm expecting a long ride tomorrow. Can't wait.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 6:18 pm

i'm so glad the weather finally broke and started to be nice. i can ride my bike to the bar instead of driving my car. much better.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Yeah, I should break my bike out this weekend. I definitely didn't ride my bike as much as I should have last year. I'm waaay too dependent on my car, unfortunately.

but yeah, that Steven's Point guy-that's incredible (as is the guy who leaves for Africa soon, jerryd).
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 8:38 pm

the weather wont make up its mind here. like it will be so nice one day and the night won't be bad and then i'll wake up the next day and there will be like 2 inches of snow on the ground. stupid stupid stupid
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 9:28 pm

That gut jerryd was referring to (Hirsch) has a blogspot with pictures and random rantings:

http://www.makesomedaytoday.blogspot.com/

His presentation was really neat.

I'm about to get on my road bike and head to work! Yay!
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm

arman, have you been hit with a bottle yet? i find that to be a more reliable first sign of spring than some fucking rodent in pennsylvania.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 9:35 pm

On my trip to Turkey I met a Swiss guy who had biked through Africa from Morocco all the way to Durban, SA, hopped a container ship to Singapor, and had biked all the way back from there. He'd been on the road for three years and three months when I met him. His story put everyone elses travel stories to shame. You really feel like you've done nothing when you meet a guy like that.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 9:35 pm

no, i'd feel like that guy is an idiot.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 10:28 pm

http://www.makesomedaytoday.blogspot.com/

wow, i was only able to read bits and pieces, but those pictures are beautiful. Can you even imagine? man, I feel I've accomplished something when I've cleaned my car out. For real. god, I think I need to set some goals for myself. Maybe I'll try keeping my car clean.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 10:31 pm

my shadow in the river. i stayed here a while until i myself started feeling short of breath and panicky and everything got blurry and i saw some leprechauns in a cellophane world with so much glitter i had to squint and i was convinced i was a glass of orange juice filled to the rim and wouldnŽt move for fear of spilling my insides and after it was all over i really started to question that cactus juice iŽd drunk.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 12:23 am

My bike got stolen today. That thing had survived a hit & run driver, people opening their car doors on me ("the door prize"), and other various tumbles. When I get a new one it'll pay for itself in a few months cause I won't need public transit.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 3:14 pm

Sorry about your bike. What kind of bike are you going to replace it with?
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 8:13 pm

Getting doored is the worst thing in the world. It's only happened to me once and it sucked.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 11:42 pm

I'm gonna get whatever's actually big enough for a 6'4 guy, is within a cheap Jew's budget, and has tire treads deep enough to go through small snow accumulations.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 1:09 am

nothing yet kevin, though i did ride through a snow ball fight to which the participants immediately targeted me instead of each other.

sorry to hear that you got your biked stolen, daneau.

oh yeah, anyone know how to replace the cable and housing on an STI shifter?
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 1:45 am

Nice story in the CA today about Mr. Hirsch- seems he's a local boy, graduate of Houston High. Loved his web site, it's a real stretch of faith to put yourself at the mercy of strangers in strange lands, but it seems to have worked out well for him. Always wanted to do something like that, but got kids and responsibilities before I got the balls to do it. I do have the balls to ride a bike around Memphis, tho, and that is an adventure in itself....
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®