Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Best Vacation?
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 1:24 pm

Travel is my second favorite thing, right behind music and is the only other thing I'll justify spending (a lot of) money on.

I didn't start this as an excuse to type bullshit about myself, I sincerely would like to know where some of you have been and which were your favorite places.

Here's mine:

1. Oaxaca, Mexico
Amazing natural beauty, very friendly people, fucking excellent food (dined in a posh restaurant; the meal cost all of approximately US$5). Super cheap drugs: $5 will buy you a fucking HUGE sack of mediocre-quality buds; an ounce of very high-quality blow? (Get ready for this) US$10. Good quality opium, US$10 an oz.

2. Crete
I wasn't super-keen on going (it was my wife's choice that year) but the gorgeous blue Mediterranean water and fucking kick-ASS food made a believer out of me. Cool history shit, too.
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 2:25 pm

Hmm... Good question...

Cabo San Lucas or Ixtapa was always my favorite resorts in Mexico. I lived there for 3 1/2 years, so getting off to one of those places for a weekend was always fun, even when just lounging on the beach in a hammock with a bucketful of beers. Snorkeling was buck wild, too. Saw all kinds of stuff, not including a shark.

Was all over Europe one time for about 2 weeks following both Cheater Slicks & New Bomb Turks on seperate tours. Every day of it was like a dream

The girl & I had a blast last August in toolin' 'round Memphis which included Tom Waits at the Orpheum & Marked Men/Final Solutions/MOTO at the Hi Tone. Talk about eating good... Brooks Museum has some fascinating works of art, particularly, the Annie Leibowitz exhibit. The little movie about here was interesting too. Pictures she snapped of Dr. Thompson being grilled by cops is too much.

Plus, don't apologize. It's an internet chat board. Blather on. If not for that, we wouldn't really be here.
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 3:15 pm | Edited by: Shaun A

French/Italian Riviera - nothing beats drinking your way around the Mediterranian, especially when rum is 1.99 a bottle. The train line runs all the way along the coast and you buy a box of wine for 99p, get on a train then just like the name of some place, get off, find an hostel, find a supermarket, load up and then spend the late afternoon/early evening getting wrecked on the beach. its a somehow more sophisticated level of drunkenness. Or at least you imagine its more sophisticated.
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 6:35 pm

Lithohoro, Greece. Go there and climb Mt. Olympus, It's easily done in a day. But I recommend staying overnight in the lodge halfway to the top, and then starting out hungover the next day to finish it up.
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 7:02 pm

Troncones, north of Ixtapa Mexico. Incredible beauty, fabulous eats, completely and honestly relaxing/what me worry vibe and ahem, bitchen surf.
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 7:07 pm

For all you people who have been to Greece: We are going to Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens for our honeymoon----do you know if it is possible to get to a place like Crete for a day trip? I think it is too far for just a day---recommendations for those areas? We are going to Delos when we are in Mykonos because we don;t really want to deal with the "party central" aspect of things (hear its really over-populated the time we are going (july) and want to avoid cheesy "nightlife" sorta stuff). Where is Lithohoro (time/distance) in relation to the places i mentioned? (i dont have a map in front of me...) Chris is doing most of the research on this, but any other input from people who have been to Greece would be great. Thanks!
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 7:09 pm

Vancouver Island, a little town on the west coast called Uclulet. Kayaking with killer whales, humpback whales, seals, etc., hiking through lush rain forests with 12 foot high ferns, massive moss-covered redwoods, giant mushrooms. Bald eagles everywhere, common as robins. Secluded hot springs near the secluded beaches for skinny basting, plus you're surrounded by snow-capped mountains. The food is wonderful and the Canadian exchange (when I went five years ago) was quite favorable. I'd go again tomorrow.
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 8:21 pm

We are going to Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens for our honeymoon

Probably not the best place to honeymoon considering Chris' other-dudes-balls fondling habit.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 4:54 am

Forget trying to sleep in Athens in July, (its hotter than a murph!), unless you get an air conditioned room---the traffic will make you kill someone. Motorcycles and muffer-less cars screaming down the streets at all hours. Like most of Europe, they're inclined to party all night long in the streets. But Greeks seemed to be especially celebratory at dawn. Plenty of 24-hr Souvlaki stands and Kenny Roger's Chicken to go around, anytime day or night.
Kinda makes me wanna go back....
Crete was where my horny fat friends went to get laid. I steered clear.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 5:50 am

We are doing some tour thing, so we actuallly wont really be in Athens that long--only a day and a half at the beginning. I was told that the rooms are air conditioned.....we actually made sure to check that before booking....
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 8:44 am

Ko Samui and Bangkok, Thailand. It took just under 24 hours to get there, but the temples, the beaches, the people, and the food made the trip totally worth it. And it was insanely cheap. Both my wife and I could easily eat for $20/day total. And you can get decent hotels rooms for less than $30, even in tourist areas.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 8:54 am

i vote for oaxaca.

one word: mole
Posted: Feb 24, 2007 2:24 am

Posted: Feb 24, 2007 2:27 am

Posted: Feb 24, 2007 2:50 am

ludes in warez
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®