Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Aldo Nova appreciation thread...
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 2:55 am

If I had a classic rock cover-only band, "Life Is Just A Fantasy" would be in my top ten to play.
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 3:04 am

I think I saw Aldo Nova twice, once opening for Sammy Hagar on the Standing Hampton tour & maybe for Kiss in 1983. Remember "Monkey On Your Back" from the 2nd LP?

Oops, maybe not for Kiss. Night Ranger opened for them then.
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 3:29 am

Aldo Nova.......once opening for Sammy Hagar on

Me too.

When I was kiddo, I used to have this thing where if I heard it on the radio -- it meant that I was automatically going to have the best day/night ever.

Man. I used to FLY out of the fucking chair to record songs off the radio -- my Mom thought I was having a fit till she figgered out what I was doing.

But the fantasy song ended up on lots of fucked-up tapes - wished I still had those - lots and lots of Loverboy, Billy Squier, Krokus and Dokken. Ha. Had no clue what punk rock was living in the sticks.
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 4:49 am

Posted: Feb 18, 2007 5:35 am

saw em back in the late 80s opening for BOC. think i owned the lp as a teen.

Maybe that's where I saw them the 2nd time. I saw BOC on what was, I believe, the Club Ninja tour. I had cassette of the debut & the record with "Monkey On Your Back" also on cassette
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 5:43 am

If I had a classic rock cover-only band, "Life Is Just A Fantasy" would be in my top ten to play

what do you mean "if" you had a classic rock cover band? was that just drunk talk fri. night? i already got the tab to "funk 49" man!
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 10:07 am

Dear Donkey. Male or female. I want to marry you.

Even though some complete dick thought it was entirely funny to burn my awesome-rad and VERY special scarf that a sweetheart gave me that I accidentally (U still with me?) left behind by fucking ACCIDENT, I still want to (pretend) marry you.

When I realized it, I went back to find it, then seen it -- being bunred, I wanted to kill every MF in the house (and tried several times). Like real bad. I t WASN"T 'about' the scarf (but it was) it was about some douche that thought it would be TOTALLY funny to burn someone's scarf. Yeah. No.

N. E. WAYZZZ. Yeah. I love you AND Total Abuse. They're so-o-o-o-oooo bad ass. Hands down. My absolute favorite band right now.

http://www.myspace.com/eatmyshortshxc
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 10:50 am

Greatest MORNING everrrr!
I'm recording it right now.......in my mind.

Can you live this fantasy li-iiife?
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 2:16 pm

I also saw that Standing Hampton tour and went specifically to see Aldo Nova who was considered a "fox", even though his accent (Canadian?) was mocked.
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 2:52 pm

Aldo Nova who was considered a "fox", even though his accent (Canadian?) was mocked.

That's funny!
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 9:25 pm

Saw Aldo Nova in the middle of a three act bill on Mud Island. Saxon, Aldo and Cheap Trick, I believe. A couple of weeks later saw Tony Bennett with a three piece trio at the ampitheatre. That was first season of concerts in the ampitheatre and the Cheap Trick show was first out and out rock show unless you count Beach Boys. Saxon being the first band to say "fuck" on the ampitheatre stage. A proper christening.
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 10:38 pm | Edited by: dale

Man, WHen Jack Stands comes up to visit later in the year he's gonna really dig listening to the Canadian rock stations.

Are they breaking into a rehersal studio or something? I wonder how much one of those laser shooting Les Paul's go for these days...There used to be this pizza place in town and the owner, Bruno, claimed to be Aldo Nova's uncle. Whenever 'Fantasy' came on the jukebox he'd come out from the kitchen and do this totally fat Italian guy air guitar rock dance.

Remember "Monkey On Your Back" from the 2nd LP?

Oh man!
Posted: Feb 18, 2007 11:50 pm

i was really let down that they had a fake cowbell. motherfucker played cowbell on his keyboard.

Holy shit! That is ridiculous.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 1:57 am

"Life Is Just A Fantasy" always makes me think of the pool scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and more specifically Phoebe Cates's nekkid titties.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 2:00 am | Edited by: m t millionaire

never mind. Mark forgot to sign out. - Windy
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 2:01 am | Edited by: Windy

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 2:47 am

"Life Is Just A Fantasy" always makes me think of the pool scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and more specifically Phoebe Cates's nekkid titties.

Even more than 'Moving In Stereo' by the Cars?
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 3:16 am

Are you actually complaining about a link with nekkid titties??
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 3:26 am

In high school my friend Jeff had a 77 Mustang with factory 8-track stereo and he possessed exactly two 8 track tapes--'Dirty Deeds' and 'Aldo Nova'. Basically cruising around in that car (T-Tops!) was all about AC/DC over and over with 'Fantasy' thrown in occasionally just to break it up. First car I ever got a speeding ticket in the one time he let me drive it, but I was on a double date and my new girlfriend got pretty excited about me being such a fucking apparent badass so why not? Good times.

-Ryan
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 4:33 am

Are you actually complaining about a link with nekkid titties??

Nope, just thinking about side two of the Cars first album actually...
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 3:30 pm

He's probably one of the top two Italo-Canadian performers ever (along with Gino Soccio) ...
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 3:58 pm

Wouldn't that be three? Ya can't forget Gino Vanelli....
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 4:02 pm

what do you mean "if" you had a classic rock cover band? was that just drunk talk fri. night? i already got the tab to "funk 49" man!

Add on "Summertime Girls" by Y&T.

Man, WHen Jack Stands comes up to visit later in the year he's gonna really dig listening to the Canadian rock stations.

I can't wait!
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 4:10 pm | Edited by: dale

If you weren't an April Wine fan you will be when you leave.

"Journey To The Stars/With Rock-n-Roll guitars" then some 'Green Eyed Lady' meets 'Day Tripper' riff done up in a late 70's Canadian hard rock production. I LIKE TO ROCK! ROLLER! Not that later 'Sign Of the Gypsy Queen' bullshit.

'Summertime Girls' gets whipped into heavy rotation on the rock station up here from June til August...the lakeshore-n-all.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 4:13 pm

Oh, I'm down with the April Wine; A fond memory in grade school... But perhaps some Molly Hatchet "Flirtin' With Disaster", too. You know, to show off them southern roots.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 4:28 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

he's gonna really dig listening to the Canadian rock stations.

You're in for a treat. You'll be asking one of your Canuck pals about some familiar sounding classic rock song on the radio that you've never heard, and they'll confidently tell you who the band was, and that the song was also a hit in the states, when in fact it was never played on US radio.

"Life is Just a Fantasy" is great song with a killer riff.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 4:34 pm

"Life is Just a Fantasy" is great song with a killer riff.

That's what I'm sayin'! Now we just need a keyboard player, too.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 4:44 pm

TRIUMPH are huger than Seger in some Michigan border towns
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 4:46 pm

Nazereth are bigger than Seger in some Memphis circles.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 4:49 pm | Edited by: dale

But Nazereth weren't from Tennessee...Neither was Seger. He's more of a Nashville than Memphis kinda guy.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 4:51 pm

Ah, but many identify with the notion that "Now you're messin' with a... a sonofabitch".
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 4:53 pm | Edited by: dale

Fuck yeah. If I hear that song on the radio I turn it up. It makes me smile. That was some intense shit in junior high. Kids like that song til this day.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 5:01 pm

King Louie should cover it with Black Rose Band, just because he's got one of those speaker/tube/mouth effects now; just for the "wown-wown-wown-wown-wown-wown-wow-uh-wowww" breakdown.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 7:43 pm

You need to get a guitar that shoots laser beams.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 7:46 pm

I have two laser pointers strapped onto my doubleneck SG knock off. I'm completely serious.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 7:54 pm

...and a leopard print jumpsuit?
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 8:02 pm

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 8:04 pm

Hey, fuck this thread in the face.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 8:07 pm

Shut it, face.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 8:13 pm | Edited by: dale

When I was around 8 I didn't know much about hard rock but I knew who Black Oak Arkansas was. The teenage kid that lived nextdoor proclaimed himself their biggest fan in all of Michigan. That's cooler than Molly Hatchet. Molly Hatchet's album covers were way more bad ass though.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 8:35 pm

Were those titties really Phoebe Cates titties? I remember something about a body double....
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 10:12 pm

If you weren't an April Wine fan you will be when you leave.

"Journey To The Stars/With Rock-n-Roll guitars" then some 'Green Eyed Lady' meets 'Day Tripper' riff done up in a late 70's Canadian hard rock production. I LIKE TO ROCK! ROLLER! Not that later 'Sign Of the Gypsy Queen' bullshit.

nature of the beast and harder...faster were the soundtrack to many drunken nights when i was a fuck up.
nature of the beast had some clunkers like gypsy queen, but future tense, and crash and burn alone are worth the 3 bucks the album goes for.
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 10:33 pm

Then there is...

Chillawack.
Posted: Feb 20, 2007 12:02 am

Chilliwack, dude. Don't pose.

Here's the thing, there are lots of good diamonds in the rough of generally cheeseball 70's hard rock, you just gotta get your mind around what was heavy for the time and place. The ultimate guides to everything heavy and rockin in the 70's and 80's are Martin Popoff's 'Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal' series of books in which he reviews thousands of hard rock and metal albums from the biggest names to the most obscure indie pressings. The 90's edition is coming out this August. Go to amazon.com and hit him up for copies or check out martinpopoff.com, he's also written books about Rush, UFO, B.O.C. (which I own in which he reviews EVERY INDIVIDUAL SONG BOC EVER WROTE) and a bunch of others. The guy is a GREAT music writer and he's into shit that actually rocks (ACCEPT--Balls to the Wall is his favorite metal album of the 80s, just think about that for a minute) so check him out.

-Ryan
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®