Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Best pizza?
fierydrunk
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 8:28 pm

Sorry to detract from last Halloween weekend rhapsodizing, but I had to post about the best pizza I have EVER had...Marco's in Asheville, NC. Homemade fresh mozzarella and sauce and sausage...jeez. Does anyone know this pizza and what "style" it is other than THE BEST????
Rev_Dan
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 8:39 pm

There's a place up here near Hoboken called "Brooklyn Pizza" aka BP. Anyways, I never had such great pizza until I had their's. Homemade Mozzerella, then yet crunchy crust, fresh made sauce, and eggplant. I normally pick the eggplant off, but sometimes when the mood hits I'll eat it as well. It's mindblowing!
Argh
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 8:52 pm

While I'm a fan of all pizza, Chicago style is my least favorite, ironically enough. I love thin crust, just plain cheese, nothing fancy. But another Chicago complaint is that they cut thin crust into squares, not slices here.

Also, I thought that people were exaggerating about how bad West Coast pizza was, until I had some. A. It was cold, even though we just picked it up from the place B. The pizza cutter didn't actually penetrate the bottom of the pizza C. all the cheese had slide off and D. it was just awful.

But all my Californian friends were like "Oh this is GREAT"

the end.

sherman
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 8:59 pm

Memphis used to vote Pizza Hut "best pizza" until award-winning Memphis Pizza cafe came along. You gotta go to Germantown to get the best stuff around here--also called Brooklyn Bridge Pizza.
Andrew Earles
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 9:07 pm

Memphis for pizza? That's a fucking hoot. My vote goes for Ridgeway High School Cafeteria - "Mexican" hexagon slice.
chriscrunch
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 9:39 pm

rosario's pizza on the lower east side in NYC... definitely the best in town!
second place: nick's pizza in forest hills, queens

hey rev. - where in hoboken is the brooklyn pizza place?

journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 9:43 pm

I'll stick with Jeno's frozen party pizzas.
At $0.69 a piece, you can't afford to keep it down.
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 9:50 pm

Those Jeno's are fucking AWESOME! Sometimes you gotta go with nuclear chemical cheap kiddie food. Best pizza pie from a pizzeria I've had was in Frenchtown NJ. I don't remeber the name of the place but it was better than any I've had in NYC. A simple mozzarella, tomato and basil. Gooey greatness. I really dig bbq chicken slices too.
journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 9:57 pm

I like watching Sean Witzman eat pizza.
hardly art
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 10:03 pm

ray's on 6th ave in nyc and frankie's off ditmar's blvd in queens. both top notch.

note: boston pretty much has the worst pizza ever. fucking terrible.

Day Doult
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 10:12 pm

My favorite for a basic cheap slice is Muzzerella on Ave. A btw. 13th & 14th in the East Village. If you wanna get fancy, you can't beat John's on Bleecker. The best is their sausage and olives.

And, yeh, Jeno's frozen rocks. Tony's too.
The worst is Celeste.

razor a go go
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 10:15 pm

mmm...school pizza + corn = good. the best i remember ever having was Aurelio's in the Chicago Heights area (i think...been a long time). Beer in the crust. Kick ass.
razor a go go
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 10:15 pm

mmm...school pizza + corn = good. the best i remember ever having was Aurelio's in the Chicago Heights area (i think...been a long time). Beer in the crust. Kick ass.
razor a go go
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 10:16 pm

i think it was Homewood not Chicago Heights, come to think of it.
razor a go go
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 10:17 pm

i think it was Homewood not Chicago Heights, come to think of it.
Alex C
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 11:20 pm

In Toronto its Amato's Pizza, which is all over the place, although people tell me that Pizza Aiolo on Queen St near Rotate This is better.

Montreal has no good pizza. Its dirt cheap (0.99 CDN for a slice), but its like eating cardboard with kraft singles.

Talbot
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 11:21 pm

Been a long time since I lived in N.Y., but my favorite pizza places were all up there from 93-98. St. Mark's Pizza, The Pizza Box and Joe's Pizza. Coronet had the monster big slices that were decent, but the amount of food for the price was great. Also, Two Boots was consistently good.
There's some place in Memphis on Lamar called Exline's that claims to be "The Best Pizza in Town." Anyone been there?
Dan_Gerous
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 11:22 pm

Imos - St. Louis style. There's nothing like it
creepydrifter
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 11:34 pm

fuck! IMO'S sucks! cracker thin crust, ketchup for sauce and velvetta for cheese. please explain why people in MO like that shit.
in chicago: leona's ain't that bad, but if you don't ask them to 'pan slice' it, then you get the little squares. bacci can be good if it's just out of the oven, and the slices are huge. i guess the colder it gets the harder it is for your bowels to push it through. pizza metro is good also.
journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 11:49 pm

Apparently, whenever Nelly gets a chance to "max" at home in the 'Lou, his favorite thing to do is kick back with some DVDs and order an Imo's Pizza.
I must make myself like it, for it's the inspiration behind my 266th favorite album, "Country Grammar".
scumpuke
Posted: Nov 5, 2003 11:50 pm

i had a friend in NYC and he had no money so all he could afford was pizza and coke night and day that's all he ate. then he got stomach pains and some bad stuff happened to his stomach from all the hard work. all the cheese and carbonated acid was makin it work OT and he ended up in the doc's office. he moved away. they should make pizza with pepto bismo sauce.

i heard there was a band named "pizzas"

sherman
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 12:02 am

That Imo's sounds like the "pizza" they serve at another memphis shit favorite Pete & Sam's. Beware of any business with "Best in Town" as their logo.
gdaniels
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 12:17 am

when i lived in nyc i thought about 99% of the pizza sucked bad.

way too little sauce. much of it under-cooked. too little spice or seasoning.

patsy grimaldi's under the brooklyn bridge was ok for the price.

the best, by far, was spumoni gardens in old-school muthafuckin' brooklyn.

queenothetwist
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 12:26 am

That place across the street from Legba was pretty damned alright - especially since the crust was WHOLE WHEAT which should have made it disgusting. Even my husband thought it was good. They had pesto sauce which is one of my favorites. ... it still isn't as good as the greek-run pizza joint here in Lincoln - Yia Yia's. Pie in the sky is similar to it, but at Yia Yia's they know what salt is. I had to use half a shaker on my slice.
journeyfan007
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 12:28 am

Yia Yia's rules!
They let me drink there when I was only 17!
fierydrunk
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 12:47 am

I never had pizza until this Marco's stuff--for real.

I am a NY pizza FAN--love it. This must definitely be some sort of variation of NYC. Someone said it was "Queens' Style" but I never got pizza in Queens just drugs et alcohol.

Please help me identify: The difference is the sauce being fresh and red like a tomato not dark like tomato paste and the placing of rectangular strips of fresh WHITE mozzarella on top of that...not heavy duty, just enough to taste the freshness of real mozzarella.

schmatt
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 12:58 am

i have to be in Asheville Friday, I 'll find out if I remember
dangerouspinkie
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 12:58 am

pie in the sky (across from legba) can be really great. it's inconsistent so it's hard to foot the bill when you're worried it might come out wrong, but when it's right, it's very right. used to toss pizza's for them downtown at the arcade when they were there. shaggy tossed for them there too, and in where they started in new orleans. it's not whole wheat, it's about a quarter wheat three quarters white. the pesto sauce is awesome. my favorite combination for pizza from there is roasted red peppers, goat cheese, roasted garlic, pesto, and roma tomatoes. i love the roasted eggplant, spinach, ricotta, romas combo too.
fierydrunk
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 1:18 am

No complaints to the Shag and Marcus and you pinkie, cos I did eat more than my fair share of the Arcade and Pie in the Sky years ago...BUT...I have to give it up to what Marco is doing over there in Asheville. It is simply better pizza---more love, time and quality and not so much wacky, fancy ass toppings etc.
Human Garbage Disposal
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 5:18 am

Insert gratuitous Pizza Party reference/namedrop here...

After much deliberation,i have returned from the mountaintop w/this declaration:

All pizza is good.Even the shittiest tasting pizza will remind you of the time you ate a better slice,which can potentially trigger off them things in your haid (endorphins?) that can make you forget about what you're eating at that moment! I haven't tried this experiment w/ cardboard,shredded paper and red spray paint yet,but when i do i'll let ya's know how it went....BURRRPP!!!!

dangerouspinkie
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 5:28 am

yeah fiery, there's certainly better out there, but it was still the craziest place to work in my life, and gets bonus for that. i can't tell you the number of times i accidentally snorted flour thinking it was cocaine. and sometimes i didn't notice.
dangerouspinkie
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 5:33 am

thanks for the tip though, because i'm a pizzaholic and my girl really wants to go to asheville sometime soon, so now i have one place to go already. the worst pizza i ever had was at that hippy pizza joint behind martin's in jackson. terrible pizza with strange music and even stranger decorations. can't remember what but it seems there was some kind of strange beer situation there too. cary pipe up and tell the people.
dr1000
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 5:36 am

I don't have a lot of experience, but I have to disagree about Boston. I have had some memorable slices in the North End (though I can't remember where, so...maybe not so memorable). I thought NYC pizza was pretty bad until I moved away. All pizza in New Orleans has flaws (some quite bad) but the best is Moe's, on the West Bank. Only had it once though.

I have many drab memories and arm burns from working at an awful pizza place fierydrunk may remember from knoxville: Stefano's. Evil "chicago-style" (soggy, puffy) whole wheat crust, sour-tasting pizza, hippie staff and customers, Jesus freak and dyke "bad cop-bad cop" management, recurrent bum problems.

scumpuke
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 5:53 am

grimaldis is good pizza. there's plenty of other places too in the city, not just that and spumoni.
scumpuke
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 6:00 am

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0335/sietsema3.php
Rev_Dan
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 6:05 am

There's a place right next to my work and it's clled Mardi Gras pizza. It's pretty damn greasy, but pretty damn good. THey use cajun spices on the crust. Damn good stuff. They even have a crawfish pizza that I have yet to grow the balls to try.
moody prick
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 6:33 am

Reheated slices that have been sitting around all day are gonna suck no matter where they came from. And that's my problem with Amato's (Toronto) You have to figure out which of the 20 different pizzas is freshest to get a good slice. I prefer Massimo's on College around the corner from the ElMo and Silver Dollar. Simple, tasty and GREASY, with marinated jalapenos tossed on after it comes out of the oven. I do like that potato topped slice at Amato's though - once they got it figured out so the potato was creamy instead of raw and crunchy.
Womb Raider
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 7:00 am

fuckin', the original pizzeria uno and its counterpart, pizzeria due in the motherfuckin loop in chicago. maybe y'inz don't favor the chicago style, but I mean, shit.

there's a million great N.Y. style places out there, but there's only one place who can make a crust taste like a popeyes biscuit, load a solid fucking layer of delicious sausage up onto that piece, and then just pour pound after pound of delicious cocksucking mozzerella cheese up in that. coat it with some chunkified, saltified tomato gunk and serve it in a tin, I said god damn! try to get a slice of that in brooklyn, or manhattan, or anywhere but downtown chicago and I guarantee you're fucked. I can get a decent bastardization of new york pizza delivered to my doorstep, but I have found no place on earth that can reasonably imitate the pure pizza decadence that those cocksuckers on wabash ave dish out. sure, eat two slices and you feel like diving straight to the bottom of the chicago river, but ask yourself this: does any other pizza lend itself to feelings this powerful? no. there is only one. uno. and due.

Monkey
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 10:29 am

Warehouse District Pizza
325 Andrew Higgins
20 inch pies and be sure to get the "spicy" sauce
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 6:15 pm

I seriously never met a pizza I didn't like....pizza is mainly all I eat....at Little Ceasers you can get a large cheese or peporoni pizza for 5 dollars, and I pick one up after school about 4 days a week....It's old pizza, but I don't care.

I tried that place across the street from Legba, and I realy liked it, eventhow I prefer my thincrust a little stiffer.....Whenever I think about good pizza, I think about this whole in the wall in Georgetown I once had, you get a huge slice for like 2.50...and that's a good deal by D.C. standards....and it's damn good. Maybe Martel knows it's name?

fierydrunk
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 7:02 pm

I'm really hungover and want some cold pizza right NOW.

DR1000, who could forget Stefano's? Disgusting (those lil slice boxes?), but employed a lot of peeps. It is still there, anchoring down a Last Lap-less Cumberland Strip. Whoa is Knox sad. I didn't eat pizza there, I guess Tomato Head is where they cook it up these days, but after Marco's, who needed that stuff?

CS Eunuch
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 7:58 pm

Pinkie That hippie pizza joint in Jackson does indeed suck shit. It's a blatant ripoff of the Mellow Mushroom chain, just shittier. The owner's an Allman Bros. worshipping prick. Maybe the beer situation you're speaking of is the place next door (Hal & Mal's) that has maybe the worst microbrews in the world.
CS Eunuch
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 8:00 pm

BUT...

Pizza's like pussy. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 8:07 pm

Pussy's like a hangover....I don't know how many times I've woken up wishing I just stayed home and ate pizza!
Argh
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 8:11 pm

I also don't like cold pizza.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 8:19 pm

realy? I like cold pussy.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 8:20 pm

...and pizza.....seriously...I think I found my new fetish.
oh_sweet_nuthin
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 9:31 pm

Alienator,

I'm wondering why you eat Little Ceaser's pizza, when you can get Granville pizza?

It costs just as much, is a ba-gillion times better, and the bartenders are hot....even that guy that looks like Bobby from Twin Peaks---hot!

Ha,

--justin

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 9:37 pm

I don't know man/girl, if you wanted to drink there, I'd be happy to hang out with you...but I generaly try to avoid that place....too many disfuntional memories...I once got in a slap fight with a girl in the side parking lot...I like them because they didn't call the cops....also I hosted many a coke party for those fuckers when I lived across the street....I just walk around Old Louisville and it was like something out of Dante's Inferno....too many fucked memories....yeah I hate that place...thier cheese fries were good thow.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 9:42 pm

Oh yeah, while I was walking, I also thought that if my parents weren't moving into a fuckin mansion, I'd move back there......I always ate at the Tavern thow...but besides that paying rent sucks.....Oh shit, I know you don't I?
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 9:44 pm

Justin? Are you that girl Tracy's old boyfriend? Did you go to Memphis?
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 9:54 pm

Hey were trying to talk shit...you mangey bastard? Cuz I told that Cowgirl what's her name, that I'd hang out with her at Granville?

I mean hey, Sherry, this is why I don't support these shits.

MBarker
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 6:38 am

Lucca Grill Baldini Pizza

Tobin's Mamma T's

Grady's Pizza w/fat balls o's sausage

All in Bloomington, IL.

schmatt
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 6:52 am

I just got back from Asheville, NC today and realized I forgot to do my goner board research on Marco's pizza. I guess I just got too caught up with watching hippies in their natural habitat to remember to go eat pizza.
shag
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 5:32 pm

shakey's pizza in algiers, LA. the best pizza in louisiana. plus they had a huge gameroom filled with pinball machines. i think they had 4 toppings, cheese, pepperoni, bacon and nutria.
peterlaughner
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 5:39 pm

Marco's in Portland (r.i.p.) was the best free pizza I ever washed down with free beers.
Arturo
Posted: Nov 10, 2003 8:00 pm

california pizza kitchen
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®