Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / my home studio
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 5:34 am

i decided i'm gonna make my own recordings.

i found a cheap 4 track on craigslist and i got one of those 10 channel beringer euroracks. got a few beringer mics and stands and shit.
me and angus scrimm goofed around with some stuff tonight.

i love the beringer x8500 mic or whatever it is.
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 6:31 am

record some spoke word intro from the bums on Colfax
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 7:26 am

i guess that would mean i would have to make the 8 hour drive to denver.

i think there are some bums around her who will suffice.
what i should do is record you reciting my favorite goner-board posts
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 4:15 pm

Economically, Colfax is on the upswing these days. More delevopment is happening, and people are getting more and more comfortable living on, or close to it. In terms of popularity, the Colfax nightlife it doing well too. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of room for improvement, but the prognosis at least for the the section from the Capitol, east for for a few miles, is positive.
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 4:28 pm

bam bam, you in denver?
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 8:34 pm

DCR, if I were you I'd upgrade to 24 tracks of 2" tape, then get a Studer to master on. You might want to consider upgrading that mixer- maybe a Neve? Get a nice plate reverb. For mics, I recommend Blue.
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 8:37 pm

nice one...Nicks Name...I would have to add though, the Neve must be with flying faders or he's always lacking.
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 8:41 pm

Of course talent and the performance are the key to any good recording. Sometimes even WITHOUT the flying faders, you can get a decent recording if the musicians are in the pocket.
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 9:28 pm

hilarious. who would have thought that there are recording dorks masquerading as Goners on the board
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 9:38 pm

Of course talent and the performance are the key to any good recording.
Did you get that, DCR? Getting all Idol here...
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 9:40 pm

musicians

what the fuck does that mean? i'm boycotting the grave blankets show.
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 9:57 pm

Don't worry I still just hum my solos. It's total lo-fi.
Posted: Feb 17, 2007 9:24 am

I SWEAR BY BEHRINGER MICS. 20 bucks.
Posted: Feb 20, 2007 11:04 pm

hey how do you transfer tape to cd...?
Posted: Feb 20, 2007 11:20 pm

then what. i don't have an editing program or anything (that i know of)
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 4:32 am

10 channel beringer euroracks. got a few beringer mics and stands and shit.

it's a good start, but you'll find that the mixer will be better suited as a doorstop, the mics as a disposable hammer and the stands will make great sheet props for your awesome fort.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 2:02 pm

Sometimes even WITHOUT the flying faders, you can get a decent recording if the musicians are in the pocket.

There is NO FUCKING WAY you can get anywhere CLOSE to a decent recording without flying faders. I plan on writing an essay on this subject and submitting it to NPR's This I Believe. But for right now, just take my word for it. Whenever I go in to a studio, the first thing I want to know is IF they got flying faders. I need to SEE them for myself. "SHOW ME YOUR FLYING FADERS" I say! No flying faders... no record deal.
Posted: Feb 24, 2007 8:10 pm

i'm failing miserably at this.
Posted: Feb 24, 2007 9:19 pm

then what. i don't have an editing program or anything (that i know of)

make friends with people who have more money to waste than you do and steal their copy of Forge, Digital Performer, whatever... They are pretty much all the same from the standpoint of recording the kind of music preferred in these parts. Also, don't whine about shitty equipment. Learn to use what you have. Almost any mic and board can make a decent recording once you learn their limitations and the eccentricities of your recording space.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 6:52 am

audacity
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®