Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Oblivians Recording
Clif
Posted: Nov 4, 2003 7:28 am

First off, I have a pretty decent recording of the Oblivians set from the show.

However, all the people jumping into me caused the wires on my mics to be a little "jossled." Therefore, there are quite a few static noises throughout the recording. It is still listenable, but annoying. (BTW- anyone else tape? Come on. I've admitted it, you can too.)

My question to you fine people who own editing/mixing equipment: Is there anyway that this digital noise can be erased without damaging the music? If so, who will voluteer to do it? Any interested parties please leave an address here and I will get in touch with you.

I will send you what I got and copies will be distributed to one and all(that want one) when better sounding recordings are done. (Yes, GIVEN. Not sold)

Ideal situation is that Eric O. (or another Oblivian) can do it and get/put out the recordings themselves.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this works out.

trashcan
Posted: Nov 4, 2003 8:22 am

new to this board, but here goes:

i have some ok recording skills (errr, helped record my bands 7" and full length, on my own gear - 4 and 8 track, decent minimal outboard gear), but i'm pretty sure you're stuck with the noise since it was printed directly to . you might be able to fuck with the eq and 'seperate' it out a tad, and maybe blend back in, if that makes sense. i'm game to try and help out. maybe if a few people try it, you could use whatever comes back the best.

ct

creepydrifter
Posted: Nov 4, 2003 9:13 am

i agree with trashcan. you're pretty much stuck with the pop and hiss. i think if you start to try and 'effect' or eq it out it will just make what you want to keep on the recording sound like shit. maybe you could maybe try and gate the signals to get rid of some of it. i might be able to give it a shot. what's the format?
drunken noodle
Posted: Nov 4, 2003 6:09 pm

you're proably stuck with it but i've had relatively good luck removing pop and hiss from old live tapes etc on my computer. depending on how bad it is. might lose some fidelity in the process but sometimes makes things more listenable.

i'd be glad to give it a shot. you can reach me at dwfree@hotmail.com . use a real obvious sbj line so i can pick you out of my spam folder.

seems like it would be worth a try having a few people screw with it in different ways and see what happens. unless there's an "official" better recording thats going to be made available. hint hint.

dangerouspinkie
Posted: Nov 4, 2003 6:34 pm

there might be one option. i know that the guys at audio graphic masterworks here in memphis have a tool for their computer mastering system that is supposed to be able to eliminate such noise, singling it out because it is sonically different from everything else. i've never needed them to use it, but they could be consulted. they're really nice guys and i could try and talk to them if someone was interested, but they probably would not do it for free. i've found them to be the cheapest cd printers though, so it probably wouldn't cost a lot. let me know if you want me to call them about it. justicenatchez@yahoo.com
creepydrifter
Posted: Nov 4, 2003 9:01 pm

clif. i've gotten some good live recordings with a 1/4" roberts(made by califone) recorder. fat, all tube sound that manages to ease any extraneous noise. i could dump it to that and see what happens. email me if you want: arman334@hotmail.
Clif
Posted: Nov 4, 2003 9:17 pm

Wow! Thanks for the replys. I'll get to probably each of you individually when I get home from work. I agree with the statement that it would be cool for a bunch of people to give it a shot and see what happens.

The format is mini disc, but I'll probably send each of you a burned down copy directly from the disc.

Scott
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 1:04 am

I think Justice is right. If you're serious about it you want to get some pro mastering done to it. That will be your best chance to get the sound you want out of it, but you will have to pay.
jhphoto
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 11:09 am

I for one, REALLY want a recording of the show and would be willing to pitch in for digital remastering.

Maybe if you took donations?

drunken noodle
Posted: Nov 6, 2003 5:27 pm

yeah, i'd be willing to throw in a little $$$ to get it done professionally too. or still willing to give it a shot at home too.

drop me a line...dwfree@hotmail.com

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®