Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Are the Black Lips overrated?
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 1:10 am

I'm sitting here in my modest bungalow listening to the record. I need the pressure of my peers to decide if i like it or not.
craptastic
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 3:56 am

Like it....no, no...love it. That record is fucking great.
journeyfan007
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 4:21 am

They're no Hot Hot Heat.
mister punchy
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 4:28 am

the black lips are awesome!! TOUGH!! WILD!! GOSH DARN GOOD!!! incredible live shows!!
i like them, yes.
finnark
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 4:51 am

And they puke on stage, too...tres cool.
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 5:44 am

They suck shit out of pigs assholes. Worthless.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 7:20 am

You all assume he's talking about the band! Anyway you wanna interpret it, they're fan-fucking-tastic!
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 6:56 pm

I AM talking about the band.
ShirleyTemporary
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 9:34 pm

I had a dream last night that they changed their name to the "Plastic Lips," and they were all wearing those weird, waxy red lips. I woke up pretty startled, to say the least.

Oh, and, personally, I really like them, and their record. Some of the best/most fun shows I've seen have involved the Black Lips in some way.

Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 10:01 pm

I don't know if they're overrated or not....do they get alot of hype....I can't even remember if I realy like them.....but what I do like is Black Lips and I'll reinterpret this thread any way I have too to express my deep and pure appreciation of black lips in all they're varied splendor.
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 10:12 pm

BTW, Bomp! finally released the vinyl version last week, so you can get that and pass yer cd's on to the technologically advanced.
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 11:16 pm

Thing is, I'm in Atlanta and refuse to be allowed to swept up in the tsumani of teste tugging. I've seen them at least 6+ times and have only gotten a scant few fireworks that wouldn't frighten a skittish squirrel.
I haven't seen any vomit nor genitals. I'm guessing they "up the ante" for their outta state ventures.

To me, the vinyl is kind of a novelty. The music isn't mind-blowing (nor horrid by any means) but it works within the context of the live show. It's merely a sourvneir of the supposedly far superior live performance. Kinda like a GWAR or ICP (gasp)
for the garage sect.

Ijuvenile74
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 12:34 am

The record smokes---completely awesome 60's inspired fuzzed out, piss n vinegar, garage-punk. Their singles are great too....especially "Freak Out!". Anyhow, I've seen 'em a number of times here and they are completely chaotic-ly insane! SOme shows are fantastic (like the Dot Dash anniversary gig--by far, the best time I've seen 'em), and then there are other just crazy, over-the top-drunk fest gigs where you can barely recognize what song their playing. Anyhow, I think they are one of the better bands doin' the 60's thing, to come out in the past few years. But that's just me.....
Jakey Stiff
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 12:53 am

I'm convinced a majority of their set consists of white noise and the first song on their CD thrown in for good measure.
scumpuke
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 2:30 am

noise band with redundant stage routine. frat rock penetrated from the rear.
louie
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 5:32 am

well i'v got the record and i fuckin' love it.
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 8:31 am

See, the thing is, they are playin' a joke on you. They aren't doin' the '60's thing' per se...that record has so many different fucking sounds on it it's bizzare. Some weird as no-tempo blues-noise, fucking musique concrete a la Pierre Henry be happenin'. Hell, if they were just a 60's type band I wouldn't give a shit about 'em. Truth is, they're fucking genious.
journeyfan007
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 9:32 am

Ha! You spelled genius wrong. Genious.
decadentjew
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 11:35 am

rememer in "Next Friday" where uncle Leroy is smoking weed with Ice Cube and said "I know you want to smoke weed, cause your lips are turning black niggga"
what does that mean?
Todd Trickknee
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 3:32 pm

I like the album, and I thought they were fun live (and they definitely add something to the '60s thing), but I'm not really bowled over by it. I've heard that they're pretty inconsistant in the live show, so I'm gonna keep going until my third eye opens or I just decide to give up.
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 5:45 pm

That's cuz I'm reatarded, genius. My new band is called The Geniouseses.
peterlaughner
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 5:54 pm

Black Lips
Black Dice
Black Keys
Black Eye(s?)
Black Heart Procession
Bunch of shite.
Ijuvenile74
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 7:00 pm

60's thing or not...whatever. They are definately tippin' their proverbial hats to it. In any event, I think they're great.
journeyfan007
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 7:01 pm

Sorry. I seemed to knot knowd that.
Ijuvenile74
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 7:03 pm

Ooops---one more thing. I do agree with you Joe, if they were *just* a 60's band, I wouldn't give a fuck about them either. There is definately something special about them, and I said that the first time they played here.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 7:32 pm

I think sometimes when black people be gettin exited and all, thier lips will start to get darker...like white people will be getting all flush colored, wells black people be getting all dark lipped and shit.....or maybe from like licking their lips.

I thought I remembered likeing the Black Lips untill somebody said that they wore "Proverbial Hats" and hate people who wear Proverbial Hats, especially people that tip them.....and I hate bands that have a certain "glint in thier eye" or have something special about them....like one of my friends with down syndrome, she has something special about her too!

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 7:38 pm

Ijuvenile74 You are a prophet amongst men.

Gimmie lottery numbers.

Jakey Stiff
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 7:42 pm

And Sardonicus you're like an super informational highway savvy Jesse Jackson. The universal spokesperson for Black America. Thank you for clarifying some of the modern mysterious aspects pertaining their culture.
uleeshuh
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 9:06 pm

black ice
Ijuvenile74
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 10:52 pm

blah, blah, blah.....all i meant is that despite their completely chaotic first NY show, where you could barely tell which song was which, there still seemed to be something that set them apart from the other 'new' bands out there. Nothing more, nothing less.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Oct 29, 2003 11:51 pm

Would you say they have a certain "glint" in thier eye?
Day Doult
Posted: Oct 30, 2003 12:30 am

I like when they pee pee on the stage.
scumpuke
Posted: Oct 30, 2003 3:39 am

the cool thing is, no gimmic
Robby G
Posted: Oct 30, 2003 6:26 pm

B.Joe get your head outta your ass! I noticed you liked that paper-bag-on-the-head band better that time in NYC. You fool! The Black Lips show was so good I have no hope whatsoever anymore I'll see anything better ever. A band that can play such an amazing show can play shitty shows for the rest of their lives!
Day Doult
Posted: Oct 30, 2003 7:47 pm

Nah, dressing like a mummy is a gimmick. Taking a wizz is just a good time. You get too strict about it and then anything but going through the motions is called a gimmick.
chuckvicious
Posted: Oct 30, 2003 8:27 pm

These guys are pretty young and have started there own thing by themselves- plus they rock-You can't go in a record store with out seeing at least one of there albums there.- so they have to be doing something right. Overated is an oxymoron when you are tring to promote a band dumbass!
newwavdav
Posted: Oct 31, 2003 1:47 am

i saw em at the blackout and they were totally underwhelming compared to some real rockers like the A FRAMES....
joe danger
Posted: Oct 31, 2003 12:52 pm

i've never heard or heard of the black lips, so they can't be that overrated. i will say that, judging by ther name alone, they are totally useless.
joe danger
Posted: Oct 31, 2003 12:57 pm

black sabbath
black flag
black panthers.
all you fuckin geeks with cool hairdos, step the fuck back.
chuckvicious
Posted: Oct 31, 2003 1:19 pm

I've never heard JOE and DANGER as a synonomous compound proper name. What makes you dangerous-Your bloody ignorance; or you shitty aptitude for music?
BB King
Posted: Oct 31, 2003 1:21 pm

for that matter what makes Chuck, Vicious?
chuckvicious
Posted: Oct 31, 2003 1:23 pm

I don't know
joe danger
Posted: Oct 31, 2003 8:45 pm

the danger is definately in the ignorance, but i'll be first to admit i have shitty taste in music. i'm closed minded. that's ok. i can think the black lips are pointless if i so choose. unless they sound like stevie wonder or maybe parliament, i really don't need another hip 'black' band in my collection.
tres piernas
Posted: Nov 1, 2003 1:09 am

the danger is definately in the ignorance, but i'll be first to admit i have shitty taste in music. i'm closed minded. that's ok>>>>> I think you are mindless, your post is as pointless as your test.
ignorance is a bless but in your case should be a curse and I hope you don't enjoy The Black Lips ever.
you and your hip record collection suck
joe danger
Posted: Nov 1, 2003 4:35 am

thank you. i'm sorry you're so upset by my taste. i hope the black lips/keys/ice/dice/eyes/etc enjoy a long and fruitful career.
tres piernas
Posted: Nov 1, 2003 6:23 am

don't be a whiner, maybe you are just racist,
just feel sorry for your yourself.
joe danger
Posted: Nov 1, 2003 10:03 pm

but i don't hate all white people. there is a difference between the good white people and the crackers.
Human Garbage Disposal
Posted: Nov 3, 2003 2:55 am

If you knew (or met) the 'Lips you wouldn't say they're Hipsta...

Really,you oughta check the LP out,it's fuckin' great!!!!!

ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Nov 3, 2003 3:49 am

robby, you gotta problem with me losing my mind over the spits? i wish i had a clue of what you mean pertaining to the black lips. if you weren't so damn big i'd punch you.
fierydrunk
Posted: Nov 3, 2003 5:57 am

Joe, don't take my place getting into piss wars with the younguns over the new cool bands. It isn't your style in the least.

And, maybe they are good...I know you'd hate Black Dice and I hate the Black Keys so let's give the Lips a wee chance.

joe danger
Posted: Nov 3, 2003 7:10 am

ok.
joe danger
Posted: Nov 3, 2003 7:13 am

again today it struck me how great black sabbath are.
ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Nov 3, 2003 8:19 pm

and why the fuck were you watching me instead of the bands??? i was losing it over the black lips, as i do every time, just like i will this friday.
Rev_Dan
Posted: Nov 3, 2003 10:22 pm

Hey, bazooka. What time you gonna go over to brooklyn on Friday night? I wanna meet up with you before hand and ride over with you.

As for the Black Lips LP, I pimped that shit out along with Friday & Saturday's shows while I was workin' at Wowsville. hehe. The overall public that came in kept inquiring about it. Awesome shit.

ledisquairebazookajoe
Posted: Nov 4, 2003 12:13 am

nigger you know where i'll be
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®