Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / mustang bass
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 2:16 am

whats a good year to look for outside of the '60s. i don't really want a reissue, but are they any good? anyone know?
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 7:54 am

Posted: Feb 4, 2007 8:11 am

Dude, that's totally the myspace sign-in page.
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 8:14 am

Er...well it was until I signed in. Fuck Myspace!
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 8:18 am

Fuck Myspace!

that said... i hope i beat you to the punch
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 8:28 am

hey! stop hatin!
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 5:52 pm

so, about that bass...?
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 4:09 am

maybe you should go with a different bass
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 4:38 am

I think they were all pretty much the same on the original run. They're cool, but technically they were Fender's bottom of the line/beginners model. I don't think there was really any point that they were making them better or worse than any other time.
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 4:56 am

If you like the short scale you should get one of these.

URL
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 5:06 am

everything Scott said is right. If you can't afford a Gibson EB, bass some companys like Ventura made real decent copys in the '70's. or you can still pick up a vintage Fender Musicmaster bass cheap also ( i don't like 'em as much as the mustang). but the gibson is where its at if yer into short scale.
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 5:19 am

Uh...this is better than both of those options. If I had the extra money layin' around, I'd buy it right now.

[url=UNIQUE_W0QQitemZ330081758861QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZW DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem][/url]
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 5:34 am

Maybe now?

URL
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 6:55 am | Edited by: deadcityrebel

those musicmasters are sweet. so is that hagstrom.
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 7:12 am

If I had the extra money layin' around, I'd buy it right now.

Fuck! I never should have looked at that pic. I WANT THAT HAGSTROM BASS.

I'm so beyond broke, too.

crap.

Someone call the WAHHHmbulance.
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 7:27 am

okay yeah, that hagstrom is pretty hot. i don't know about those pickups though. they look a little...uh..i don't know
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 8:30 am

I had a Hagstrom Bass that I left a some chick's house , cuz I, uh, never uh, wanted to go back and uh, deal with it. Oh Well. Sounded great, flat wound strings... Oh Well...
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 12:29 pm

I play a '78 musicmaster and I love it. But... that hagstrom could easily replace it.
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 3:22 pm

I have a reissue Mustang bass and it's great. Surprisingly good low end for a shortscale, surely because it's string-thru-body. Real fun to play.
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 3:36 pm

surely.
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 7:26 pm

that's good to know. i'm worried if i starting going short-scale i won't get as much of a rich bass. when it comes down to it though, i'd rather have the sound compromised a little if the trade off means i don't have to play a bass that's half my body weight and just as long as i am tall.
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 7:29 pm

If you can't find one local to try before you buy, you could always order one from Musician's Friend or Music 123, and then return it if it doesn't suit you.
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 8:54 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

local
as if...

i think you should go for the hagstrom
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 8:55 pm

everything Scott said is right.

no.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 12:41 am

no.

Yes! Even you can't deny the Hagstrom.

i don't know about those pickups though. they look a little...uh..i don't know

They're not. They're awesome.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 12:49 am

i keep tryin to tell this woman but she don't lissen to nuthin i say
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 1:51 am

keep tryin to tell this woman but she don't lissen to nuthin i say
tell you what. i'll get the hagstrom, and then when i run out of money mid-tour, you can foot my bill. deal?
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 3:42 am | Edited by: Scott

What? Are you talking to me? Does this deal involve me giving you money? If so, I'm afraid I'll have to pass.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 3:49 am

I'd take the Hagstrom over the Mustang any day. Those basses are awesome and they sound great.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 6:59 pm

tell you what. i'll get the hagstrom, and then when i run out of money mid-tour, you can foot my bill. deal?
i forgot to sign out. that was maggot.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 10:09 pm

sweet. i guess it would depend on the condition. i probably couldn't go more than $500. do you know what color it is? i know i'm falling into the girl stereotype, but i'm kind of particular about my colors. so yeah. thanks.
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 2:11 am

hagstroms suck. who do you think you are, mark arm???
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 6:33 am

correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't cordell rock a hagstrom?
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 4:32 pm

hagstroms suck. who do you think you are, mark arm???

i wish...
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 4:46 pm

I got one of these a few years back....put flat wounds on it and I wouldn't trade it for anything.Plays like a champ and sounds amazing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-VB100-LeftHanded-Violin-B ass-?sku=508161
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 7:44 pm

hey maggot/windy... I just got one of the mustang reissues over the weekend and I am LOVING it... it's already made me a much better bass player as my old one was almost as long as I am tall (about 5'1") and felt just about as heavy. I can actually move around while I play and my small fingers can reach everything much better. In a perfect world I'd be able to buy a real old one or that hagstrom, but since I don't have the cash in hand, I have to rely on the financing plan of my local guitar shop chain and this was the best bass they had for me. Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I though I'd share if you're still looking, since we seem to be after one for the same reasons.

before
after
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 7:49 pm

maggot/windy

not the same person.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 7:50 pm

oh, sorry maggot. I'm thinking you're not windy, just maggot.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 7:55 pm

it's just that they're both bitches in DCR's life.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 8:10 pm

HEY MAGGOT!!!

Check out Eastwood Guitars. They have really cool full & short-scale good quality basses. And don't worry about losing low-end if you decide to go short-scale. It shouldnt matter (probably sound better) for rock-n-roll.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 8:11 pm

...and you could get a red rocket bass for the Red Rockets!!!!

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/Bass/rocket/images/bass_RedMet-rocket.j pg

Posted: Feb 14, 2007 8:17 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

still looking
yup, but she isn't sure if she can get the sound she wants out of a short scale like the mustang.
she was thinking about getting a reissue jazz bass or p-bass, but we don't know what the good reissue years were.

bitches in DCR's life
one i don't make out with regularly

red rocket bass
trust me i've tried...
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 8:18 pm

one i don't make out with regularly

thank GOD.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 10:20 pm

About time Megan. That Odessey was hard as hell to play.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 11:18 pm

mustang basses are cool. bill wyman circa get yer ya ya's out an richard hell circa blank generation both played em. the 60's ones sound cool but the necks tend to bow out a lot over the years. the 70's an new reishes have more sturdy necks an hardware. can't go wrong w/ a mustang bass.

an yeah, cordell played a hagstrom.
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 12:53 am

Short scale is fine...and fun to play. As far as the sound you want, if your amp sounds good, most any bass is gonna be alright. Not that your choice of guitar doesn't matter, but I'll take a shitty guitar & great amp over a great guitar & shitty amp any day of the week.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®