Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / brian jonestown massacre, wtf???
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 3:44 pm

finally seen dig on cable last night then had a really bad dream about bein stuck in that guy's house w/ him an bein busted. then i woke up w/ a really bad headache. an people say i'm crazy. that chick in the dandy warhols has nice cans though.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 3:55 pm

that chick in the dandy warhols has nice cans though.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 4:12 pm

i hate that band. both bands actually
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:12 pm

yeah --- the dandys...ugh.
i like the jonestown if anton doesn't get all crazy....
i wouldn't want to be stuck in his house tho. terrible nightmare dirk. that'll train you what to watch before bedtime!
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:21 pm

Brian Jonestown Massacre actually has some really great songs. Watching that movie though, if I was around him too long I'd beat the fuck out of him so bad he'd never open his mouth like a bitch again. I like assholes, but I don't like bitches.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:23 pm

I like assholes, but I don't like bitches.

what happened to the quote of the day thingie?
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:49 pm

I thought it was hilarious when he was dressed in fur, handing out copies of the "Not If You Were the Last Dandy..." single at CMJ, explaining how great he was to EVERY person he met.

"I can play like, 80 instruments."
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:53 pm

Watching Dig made me hate everyone in those two bands, especially that fucking tamborine guy.

Anton can write some good tunes, though.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:58 pm

i'll give the guy credit. he freaked me out. that's hard to do.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 6:11 pm

I actually thought the tamborine player was the best part of the movie... well, after Zia's big ole bouncin' titties.

Honestly though, that movie is a good thing to watch, especially for young aspiring bands, because I've seen some behavior in friends before that reminded me of shit in that movie, and I'm not even talking about the fun, getting wasted and beating up yer band on stage shit. There should probably be more of that, everywhere, always.

I'm all about self-absorbtion, but there is little in this world that bothers me more than rockstar self-importance. I've literally pissed on someone's face for giving me that condescending bullshit before. When you take the low self-esteem, self-loathing, uncertainty, social awkwardness and other shit like that out of rock 'n roll yer left with Warrant.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 6:24 pm

BJM suck....nothing is as boring as self pretentiousness...
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 6:37 pm

I don't neccesarily wanna defend this band, but if you can hear a song like Open Heart Surgery and not think it's brilliant, well, then you're full of shit, period.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 7:59 pm

don't neccesarily wanna defend this band, but if you can hear a song like Open Heart Surgery and not think it's brilliant, well, then you're full of shit, period.

so your the facist arbiter of taste in this world...I didn't realize I had to like what you like and think the exact way you do....that's full of shit!!!!
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 8:36 pm

i wish i was skinny again
and had a mild jones for H
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 8:38 pm

don't neccesarily wanna defend this band, but if you can hear a song like Open Heart Surgery and not think it's brilliant, well, then you're full of shit, period.

so your the facist arbiter of taste in this world...I didn't realize I had to like what you like and think the exact way you do....that's full of shit!!!!

He's confused himself w/ me.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 8:54 pm

gonerblog updated with posts of week
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 9:02 pm | Edited by: trey

that chick in the dandy warhols has nice cans though.

http://sinoby.com/music/zia_mccabe/2.shtml

^not work safe^
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 9:04 pm

they seemed bigger in the movie. still nice though.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 9:25 pm

that woman is ugly as hell.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 10:50 pm

so your the facist arbiter of taste in this world...I didn't realize I had to like what you like and think the exact way you do

The more you know...

When you take the low self-esteem, self-loathing, uncertainty, social awkwardness

...almost forgot self-deprication.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 10:53 pm

that woman is ugly as hell.

they're all beautiful in their own way, man.
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 4:50 pm

i'm almost tempted to check out their first album. except for the fag's face on the cover. an they don't release lp's only cd's??? wtf indeed.
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 5:53 pm

you people are all fucking confused
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 7:35 pm

an they don't release lp's only cd's???

They definately do release vinyl.
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 7:52 pm

The best part of the whole movie is the scene where Anton is sulking in the street after one of the onstage fistfights/riots. The director asks him if he knows where the blood on his shirt came from and he replies, snottily, "yeah, people's faces." Genius.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 12:13 pm

man..i thought this thread was about jim jones and jonestown.
a new docu is floating around.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 1:17 pm

Brian Jones was a no-count loser... Quit getting your hair cut like his, fags!
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 3:38 pm

brian jones was my favorite member of the stones but i agree with this Quit getting your hair cut like his, fags!

i met anton from bjm...he seemed kind of insane but was real nice, think he lives in nyc now.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 4:13 pm

They're fun to see live. One time I stumbled into Emos when they were playing. Anton was being a prick and berating the others on stage. He was about as drunk as I was. After stopping several songs to bitch, I started heckling him. He told me, "that's alright, I already got your money" to which I replied, fuck you I got in for free...he stormed off stage.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 4:15 pm

i met anton from bjm...he seemed kind of insane but was real nice

Yeah, same here. I talked to him at a show, and he was actually pretty laid back and just happy that we were there to see his band. The show was good, but you could see what a real control freak he is with his band...during one song he got all pissed and kept stopping the rest of the band until they could get it right...typical I guess, from what I see in the documentary.

i hate that band.

I like some of the songs. I don't listen to them much now, but thats kinda how it goes. You find even greater stuff. You start somewhere...and I'm not gonna say anybody sucks.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 7:23 pm

an they don't release lp's only cd's???

totally not true. i got a couple of their records. i like them, but i'm kind of with angus scrimm on not really listening to them a lot anymore. every once in a while, it's not bad to listen to. the dandy warhols however make my eyes bleed.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 8:10 pm

bomp has like ten records by them all on cd only.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 8:16 pm

You're a fag even if you get the vinyl.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 8:22 pm | Edited by: Jay

bomp has like ten records by them all on cd only.

some of the newer stuff is on LP, like "and this is our music"(which looks like it should be called 'tomorrows heros today', cause that's what it says in really big letters on the cover) and "strung out in heaven", but those records aren't as good as the Bomp ones.

probably the best part of Dig is seeing Greg Shaw and how nice, normal, and funny his is next to Anton's retardedness. especially when he's in the hotel talking about how they're about to go down to the CMJ showcase to annoy people.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 8:38 pm

I think you can download just about every single thing they have ever recorded from their website.

on a sidenote - if there are any fans of gilmore girls - which i know there aren't but Rory's best friend's band had a showcase and right before they were gonna play it they let Joel join the band as the tambourine man, and of course, got in a huge fight on stage and ruined their big chance..it was pretty hilarious...of course, joel just kept on playing tambourine and looking around.
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 3:27 am

Just listen to Spacemen 3.

And then, when that gets old, Spiritualized and Spectrum.
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 3:34 am

I think you can download just about every single thing they have ever recorded from their website.

yes, its true. anton made some huge statement once about how it should all be a free for all. i got into a huge debate about copyright with him once, too. he didn't see the value in registering his songs, etc. and it seems that someone has indeed not only registered his copyrights for him, he's with ASCAP - the smarter choice, etc.

maybe it was TVT that did it, but still.

i don't buy his crazy act. he's crazy like a fox
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 4:38 am

he's living in his car crazy....
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 5:47 am

why is ascap the smarter choice theresa?
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 7:04 am

very simple retarded answer is that while both BMI and ASCAP collect performance royalties from television, radio, jukebox, etc play - BMI is the broadcaster's ally and ASCAP is the composer's ally.

that's the tip of the iceberg, but basically ASCAP kicks BMI's ass in artist services, thoroughness, etc. BMI will take the business side more often than not and makes more compromises
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 2:46 pm

spacemen 3 only had a couple of great albums (perfect prescription, sound of confusion). the later shit was a hype. one of my fave bands of all time though.
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 2:52 pm

I'm not too big on Spiritualized or Spectrum either. Spacemen 3 are miles beyond that shit. And they're one of the only bands whose demos seem necessary.
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 3:01 pm

spacemen 3 only had a couple of great albums (perfect prescription, sound of confusion)

yeah, but its one more great LP than most bands...amazing band. My band got the pleasure to be the opening act on Spectrum's "Songs for Owsely" tour, and although it was no Spacemen 3, it was cool to hang out and smoke hash with Willie Carruthers every day...that dude is dude. There was always some gross, dirty fingernail/toenail, heroin girl backstage to hook Peter up. Funniest Peter/Sonic Boom quote...getting high with him as we listened to The Standells "Medication"..."fucking brilliant...fucking Standells...fucking Med-e-kay-shun...just fucking brilliant" it doesnt sound funny after I typed it, but hearing that stoned in his thick midlands accent just sounded so absurd...
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 6:23 pm

spacemen 3 only had a couple of great albums (perfect prescription, sound of confusion).

Uh, 'Playing With Fire'?!

I'm not too big on Spiritualized or Spectrum either.

Stop being so small, then. Spiritualized is fantastic. Check earlier records. Really barely removed from S3. Kember doesn't deserve all the credit, if even half.

Hell, EAR has some boss shit.
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 6:29 pm

playin w/ a fire is a total snoozefest. spiritualized is borin except a few songs here an there.
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 7:03 pm

I like some of "Playing with Fire" but most of it is iffy. I feel the same about Spiritualized.

Bought the S3 biography during lunch today. It was too expensive and will probably suck. Shit happens.
Posted: Feb 8, 2007 6:20 am

one of my fave bands of all time though
whay bother? just listen to those VU boots
Posted: Feb 8, 2007 7:51 pm

listened to ladies an gentlemen again. not half bad. prob the best album of that era. gonna blast sonny sharrock's monkey pockie boo an get really out there. then lou reed take no prisoners live. wanna get coltrane live in japan. cd's are gay.
Posted: Feb 8, 2007 8:49 pm

wanna get coltrane live in japan. cd's are gay.

I got hired to DJ in between bands at a John Coltrane Birthday tribuite/show thingy in Texas a few years ago. I thought there would be Jazz dudes playin'...no, just terrible indie rock bands...I was so aghast at that fact I just played Live in Japan and Live in Seattle really really loud...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®