Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Sid Vicious, 1957 - 1979
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 2:52 am

A moment's silence to mark the anniversary of his pathetic death.

Stories, anyone?
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 3:00 am

he was only 21! Damn, guess I never realized how young he was.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 3:02 am

Stories, anyone?

look at my website when its 2/2 in the western hemisphere
www.punkturns30.com

the sid thing won't be up there til midnight or sometime after pacific standard time
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 3:05 am

I knew you would come up with the goods, Theresa.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 3:41 am

i seen sid an nancy on st. marks place once when i was a kid. they were standin on the corner kinda fallin all over each other. i couldn't believe my eyes. the night he died my high school band the insane crashed some function at the school gymnasium w/ all the teachers an parents where they had a jazz band playin. when they took a break we stormed the stage an one of our friends turned off all the lights an i said this one's for sid an we played like half a song before they threw us out. we hatched the plan over pineapple paradises at the chinese restaurant next door. we didn't even get in trouble. sid rules.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 3:50 am

And was expecting to hear from you too, DD.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 5:21 am

i seen sid an nancy on st. marks place once when i was a kid
25 year old kid I take it???
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 6:12 am

I wonder whatever happened to that Sid Vicious poster I bought when I was in 7th grade. It was just him playing bass with some goofy pink and green neon colors around him. Pretty cool.

Also cool was the Sex Pistols banner that I won at the Calumet County Fair in Chilton, WI circa 1990. You threw a dart at the banner you wanted and you got it. I had my choice between the Sex Pistols, Poison, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Metallica and, I think, Megadeth. That was back when small towns were all metal, not this wigger small town gangsta shit you see these days when you pass through your old hometown...
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 6:13 am

I still have the Sex Pistols banner somewhere in this here basement, der hey...
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 6:59 am

That was back when small towns were all metal, not this wigger small town gangsta shit you see these days when you pass through your old hometown...

You're fuckin a' right, der hey. I mean, look...I ain't got nothing against nig...black people...but dat shit ain't music. Now you seen that Guns was coming to da brown county arena? I'm gonna be der'...
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 7:22 am | Edited by: Shawn Carpetbagger

A pretty silly figure to idolize, but I'm a huge Pistols fan and "Sid Sings" is a great record! "Take a Chance on Me"! What a song! That footage of the Pistols in Texas is unbelievable! I heard all cowboys are faggots! Ha! Ha! THe FBI were following them around! Fuck the punk rock revisionists, the Pistols were great!
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 7:40 am

there were plenty of wigger small town gangsters all the time as far back as i can remember

Nah, not in the late 80's, early 90's, man. That shit didn't start till we were in Baggy Pants Junior Beastie Boys High. People older than us probably don't remember their being wiggers around...in Manitowoc? Like guys dressed like Run-DMC/LL Cool J?
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 7:41 am

Ok, not in the late 80's, by the 90's it was all over the place.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 7:46 am

I never really liked Sid, I was always a Johnny Rotten dork. But I always thought it was cool that he died the same year I was born.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 9:02 am

I worked with a guy who met Sid Vicious and asked him 'why do they call you Sid Vicious?' and Sid Vicious said 'why do you fucking think?'. The end.
Check the YouTube/Tyrades etc thread on TB, theres a punk doc from october/november 1976 on one of the later pages of that thread called 'The London Weekend Show'. About three quarters in, there's a small interview with a 'punk fan' about supposed punk violence. This really young punk fan has an extremely plummy posh english accent - really educated sounding. And yes, it's Sid!
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 9:28 am

This really young punk fan has an extremely plummy posh english accent - really educated sounding. And yes, it's Sid!

ah the big dirty secret of punk rock - plenty of middle class kids doing it as well as working class thugs (like jonesy)

my memories of sid are now up on my website, with a variation of the photo of mine that creem used as sid's obit back in the day.

as for me - oddly enough, glen matlock and paul cook were my favorite pistols. still are.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 9:48 am

Cool, gonna read that now. I've taken a sick day in order to listen to punk rock in honour of the late Sid Vicious (and cos I'm a lazy bastard). Its funny seeing Sid before he geezeered it up and became a thick sounding cockney, he actually sounds pretty bright. He doesn't even sound middle class, he's really upper class sounding. You never hear those accents anywhere anymore. Maybe in the House Of Lords when they're not too pissed up on scotch to speak.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 10:49 am | Edited by: Theresa K

when i made my first trip to london in march 1976, i was suprised at the number of middle class and upper class accents i heard slumming in the clubs/nascent punk rock hang outs. its another reliable thing for the ages: slumming. never goes out of style.

stiv bators introduced me to this SPENCER woman - yes, related to princess di and churchill.... this lady was a jimmy page paramour (and had the photos of them together inside her posh portobello road house) and a killing joke groupie. her father was some kind of lord, making her what - some kind of lady in waiting? what's the daughter of a Lord?
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 1:35 pm

Sid and I share the same Month/Day birthday May 10th.

Vicious is just a poster at Hot Topic.

Steve Jones was my fav. He and Paul's songs; Revolution in the Classroom, Silly Thing, Lonley Boy, Here We Go Again. Were all great.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 2:41 pm

Saw the Pistols in memphis and Sid never played a note...he was so fucked up he just stood there scratching his bare chest until he bled....yeah.....he was great wasn't he?
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 4:29 pm

Like guys dressed like Run-DMC/LL Cool J?
I wish
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 4:56 pm

Revolution in the Classroom
"Revolution in the Classroom", "Schools are Prisons", and "Judging Minds" are all great songs but they are all fakes! Supposedly, Dave Goodman (I think?!?) recorded a bunch of "lost" Pistols tracks to sell those bootlegs like "We've Cum for Your Children" and "Pirates of Destiny". I heard Glen Matlock was involved in some of the tracks.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 5:03 pm

Here is the story on the fake Sex Pistols tracks. Anyone have a copy of or heard the Sexless Pistols LP?
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 5:20 pm

Sid was pretty sexy. That's pretty much why I was obsessed with him between the ages of twelve and fourteen.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 6:08 pm

Steve Jones was my fav. He and Paul's songs; Revolution in the Classroom, Silly Thing, Lonley Boy, Here We Go Again. Were all great.

are all great songs but they are all fakes! Supposedly, Dave Goodman...

So are you saying I'm wrong? Those song I mentioned were all Dave Goodman? I read through that website and didnt get anything like that out of it.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 6:15 pm

He said Revolution in the Classroom is a fake, and that's a fact, Jack. The others are Jones/Cook songs, but he never questioned that.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 7:21 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

its another reliable thing for the ages: slumming. never goes out of style.

Sometimes it's just a matter of going where the excitement/ action is, but I've noticed the same thing.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 1:55 pm

Yeh! Best rendition of "MY Way" ever!!! So that's why it's been playing over and over in my head now for a week! Who else could take a Sinatra song and make it cool! ( an anthem even) Long live Sid Vicious!
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 6:16 pm

i used to have this great bootleg lp an video of th sexpistols at winterland. sid's bass playin was totally spastic. an i don't think john lydon was a rich kid. i used to stay in his old neighborhood, finsbury park when i was on tour in the uk (excpet the first time when me, bob bert, bruce bennet an howie pyro all slept on the guy from the record labels livinroom floor when we weren't in b an b's but i digress. ) it's a pretty poor neighborhood by london standards but right next to camden town. i got knocked down by a big jamaican guy at the kebab stand one night for no reason on our second tour. the reggae record store he used to shop at was still there an a jamaican club. also my favorite cafe in london aside from calzone's an that place in camden town i used to go to that dylan used for the cover of world gone wrong. an that other place next to the camden palace.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 8:40 pm

If you look at the 12 days on the road book, there is a guy who looks like a biker with sid in most of the photos...he's from nola and bounced at the club they played in atlanta. BAL BAL BAL...any way my friend shawn, , this guys son met and sat in sids lap when he was one years old...jhonny rotten said he liked the kid cuz, he ignorred him...
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 8:40 pm

shawn is a rever now!
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 9:26 pm

No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs is a good autobiography. I think Sid added a new dimension to the Sex Pistols, but Rotten's song writing on Bollocks is second to none..
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 9:33 pm

i met sid vicious a couple of times. but he was a wrestler, not a punk rocker.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 9:38 pm

the singles were much better than the album-i wanna be me, satellite etc... plus the stuff they started writin w/ sid was way cooler like belsen was a gas an sod in heaven. even religion was started as a sex pistols song on the us tour.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 9:50 pm

Steve Jones was my fav.

in 1978, when the pistols ended their tour and broke up, they all still ended up in LA. jonesy used to hang out in the british pubs and he had this trick for scamming money.

he'd ask you if you had a piece of paper he could write a phone number down on and make a phone call - back in those days, no cel phones - so you'd go use the pay phone. 9 times out of 10, in a bar, no one has a piece of paper. jonesy would say, oh - just write it on a note (meaning paper currency), i'm just going to leave a message.

plenty of people whipped out a buck or five, let jonesy write a number on it and "go to the pay phone"

of course, me being the total egghead that i am - always carry a notepad, so he never got me.

john ashton of the psychedelic furs did the same thing too.
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 12:50 am

"Take a Chance on Me"! What a song!

Yup, but isn't it a Heartbreakers cover?
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 6:41 am

johnny rotten and the rest of the "Sex Pistols" were at the bar on my corner this morning.
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 9:23 am

James Joyce was born the same day but different year

and what about that groundhog, huh?
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 1:34 pm

\"Take a Chance on Me\"! What a song!

Yup, but isn\'t it a Heartbreakers cover?

Walter Lure song, its on the Heartbreakers Live At Max\'s record
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 4:26 pm

jerry nolan an walter wrote it. great song. all of sid sings rules. it's one of the greatest punk albums of all times.
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 4:34 pm

James Joyce was born the same day but different year

1882, and Ulysses was published on 2/2/1922
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 8:04 pm

I'm going to buy Sid's Songs today. What great inspiration! Sid and Nancy were the greatest punk love/hate romance legend of our time! (With our local heroes Alex and Lesa a close second)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®