Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / recording yourself one track at a time
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 10:21 pm

so when you are recording and playing all the parts yourself on a song, what order do you record in?

do you start with drums and then go to guitar? what's your process like?

so far the only part of the process i have down is a multitude of tall cans of busch and tons of reefer...

any tips or tricks?
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 10:25 pm

i always use a scratch track (if im gonna lay real drums down) first... while recording guitar, then add bass and drums afterwards.. i dont know ask jay the reatard.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 10:42 pm

Use a noise maker as a click track. Add guitar, then bass, then kazoo.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 10:42 pm

yeah ok, jay or brad, how do you guys put songs together like that?

i'm still new at recording, so all this shit has been trial, with mostly error.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 10:43 pm

duh!
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 10:44 pm

When the big boys in real studios start a recording session, if they all are in the same room with the drummer and his kit is mic'd and ready...The bass is usually ran direct or the bass amp will be in an Isolation Booth as well as the guitar in an Iso booth as well. The vocalist may be in the same room and or in a separate Iso booth with a window for signaling between his bandmates. Everyone has head phones and there is little or no Bleed Over. Generally the Drums are the most important in the first takes...After the drums are solid knowing that the rest of the band i.e. Bass and vox and Guitar will do several more takes they scratch the existing tracks and start with the Solid Drum Takes and go from there with the overdubbing.

The other form of recording is Multitracking or Overdubbing. It's very difficult for some musicians to play by themselves. It's easy to lose feeling or to get lost in the song. Generally you'd start with the Drums then Bass then Guitar then Vocals but, I know singer/songwriters that will play the guitar and sing to a click track and then lay drums and Bass later. It's all preference. Although, keep in mind if you're playing acoustic/live drums you'll more than likely need a headphone amp to hear the mix of your existing tracks if you record you drums last. It's easier to hear a click track than it is to hear the mix.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 10:45 pm

yeah ok, jay or brad, how do you guys put songs together like that?

1) Drink lots of beer, smoke lots of dope, eat lots of fast food.
2) Snort lots of coke, look pissed off all the time, record stuff all day long.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 10:52 pm

a great way to record a cover song is put the song you are covering on one track and then record the parts as you play along to the original song, then take away the original song...you can come up with some fucked up sounding covers that way
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 10:57 pm

I usually put my hand on some construction paper and draw the outline with a marker. Go back, add some eyes, a beak, a flap on the chin...

I record the best turkeys that way.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 11:11 pm

When doing everything myself, I play guitar to a simple drum machine beat that goes direct in to the recorder (no bleed into the guitar). Then I play bass, key, vocals, whatever. Then I get a real good drummer and play the whole mess through his headphones with the drum machine beat cranked. Seems to work real well. I think the key is to play whichever instrument you are most comfortable with first and get a consistent beat. A good drummer can make the beat breathe/swing later on.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 11:16 pm

I've been doing this for demoing songs. I write the song and then get to know how it goes then mic up the drums and play drums going 'nanananana! duh duh! nananananana! duh duh!' out loud like I'm playing the riff but playing it on the drums. then I add guitar, then bass, then lead guitar then vocals.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 11:22 pm

Where's Albini during this discussion?
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 11:41 pm

I do this sometimes: record the guitar and vocals at once, then go back and overdub hand claps into a mic using a Danecho pedal. This makes them sound really snappy. Handclaps sound ok as long as you're using a clean guitar sound. OR: Plug a preset FruityLoops beat into track one, record it (cord straight from computer to 4-track). Then do two tracks of guitar, then vocals. This is of course for people too stoopid to play/mic drums, but whatever.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 4:22 am

are there particular tapes designed for 4 track recorders? everytime i record something and play the tape on a stereo, only the first two tracks can be heard. any advice?
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 4:34 am

play the tape on a stereo, only the first two tracks can be heard

There are four tracks on regular cassette tapes. Side 1 is track 1 and 2 for stereo left and right. Side 2 is track 3 and 4 left and right. Your stereo only plays the first two tracks.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 5:11 am

Click tracks are for douchebags.

Josh is right, first you get fucked up, then you record.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 5:17 am

Sure, if you follow them like gospel. But if you use them only as reference you can record all your instruments and vocals and then get a good drummer to follow what you are doing rather than the clicktrack. It can work and is especially useful if you are like me and can't play the drums worth a shit.

As in all recording, whatever works for you, works.

Sad was seeing that footage of Keith Moon recording with a click track on one of those last wretched Who records (Who are You, I think). How the mighty had fallen.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 5:48 am

Tip I got from Jack Oblivian: Record your kick drum and rhythm guitar at the same time. Then you can go back and overdub everthing else-including the rest of the drums.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 7:14 am

i guess my way just works for me

We all find a method that suits are strong and weak points. Using your ears and recognizing what works for you is the most important part.

Listen to "experts" and amateurs and crazy people and all with a grain of salt.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 8:17 am

I just realized that I recently recorded something using essentially the same technique. I guess I'm a douchebag.

I just associate click tracks with total douchebag metal drummers I've known.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 9:13 am

Click tracks fo' niggers.

PEACE
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®