Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Hi! How Are You?
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 3:03 am

Are you sure Daniel Johnston was a genius? Cause I think he may have just been retarded.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 4:06 am

I don't know...genius gets thrown around easily these days it seems.

Does that mean Wesley Willis was a genius?

rock over London, rock on Chicago...Visa its everywhere you want to be!

The only genius I know is the GZA.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 6:37 am

Ron House certainly thinks Daniel Johnston was a genius. I saw him once with a friend at The Knitting Factory & the friend hated him & kept saying "When is Linus going to be done." I have to admit, it was pretty funny.

Wesley Willis was not a genius, but man, is he charming in small doses. Kinda like Benny Hill.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 6:38 am

I should also add that someone like Chris Langan is, in fact, a genius.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 6:53 am

Retard=genius. If you smell like pee your brilliant.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 7:34 am

Did he ever call himself a genius? I've never read that he was a genius. I've read people talk about how naive his music is. Is naivety the same as genius? He could write a good pop song, which ain't as easy as most people seem to think. He's definately not retarded, but you definately are an asshole for equating the kind of struggle he seems to have had to deal with mental retardation. As far as Wesley is concerned, he was a paranoid schizophrenic and while I am sure that there have been paranoid schizophrenic geniuses out there, I met the guy on multiple occasions and "genius" is not the word I'd use. Neither is "retard."
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 8:45 am

The only genius I know is the GZA.

Ha!
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 9:59 am | Edited by: Rich Balls

Cause I think he may have just been retarded.
have you heard any of the punk music that people talk-up on here??
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 3:00 pm

on that documentary, people are saying he was as good as brian wilson, if not better. I was screaming at my television at that point. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's retarded, but he ain't no savant either. better than Jandek though (his music and his documentary).
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 3:04 pm

Did he ever call himself a genius?

That just seemed the way he was portrayed in the documentary about him.

I don't really equate the word retarded with the throwaway insult it has become - I just meant I think that he seems kind of slow, and many times when people don't understand something they begin to give it more weight than it actually deserves.

you definately are an asshole for equating the kind of struggle he seems to have had to deal with mental retardation

Isn't that the definition of retardation? a mental struggle?

Or I could just be an asshole too.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 3:22 pm

Every genius is somewhat insane.... so I guess some people might think it works both ways.

I like some of DJ's songs, I just think he took too much acid.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 3:52 pm

I just think he took too much acid.
Gibby from the Butthole Surfers fucked him up good.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 3:55 pm

Isn't that the definition of retardation? a mental struggle?

Are you saying that mental illness equals mental retardation?

Actually, the definition of mental retardation indicates an IQ of below 70.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 4:08 pm

He wrote a bunch of great pop songs, but genius is an overstatement. As far as being retarded, his lack of lucidity may have more to do with his mental illness and the cocktail of meds it takes to keep him from going looney.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 4:10 pm

Actually,

Mental retardation is a term used when a person has certain limitations in mental functioning and in skills such as communicating, taking care of him or herself, and social skills.

And since DJ still lives with his parents, well, there ya go...
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 4:14 pm

Mental retardation is a term used when a person has certain limitations in mental functioning and in skills such as communicating, taking care of him or herself, and social skills.

Actually, it also includes having a sub-70 IQ. That's according to the government, and according to Merriam-Webster. Bi-Polar disorder is not mental retardation. No wonder there's such a stigma associated with mental illness in this country. Everyone who has some sort of mental problem is labeled retarded.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 4:18 pm

Retards also have super-human stregnth. It's true.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 4:24 pm

And since DJ still lives with his parents, well, there ya go...

He took too much acid and smoked a lot of pot...he seemed to have been pre-dispositioned for mental illness which was then polarized by drug use... being an acid casualty doesn't equal RETARDED.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 4:27 pm

Who said anything about being bi-polar? is that what he is? I thought he was manic-depressive?

and a retard.

OMG, I am so just kidding.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 4:39 pm

JEEZUS!
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 4:40 pm

Who said anything about being bi-polar? is that what he is? I thought he was manic-depressive?

Pretty much the same thing.

Ya know, I was going to go on to explain a few things, and how the mental health system in this country is so fucked up and people with REAL problems are afraid to seek help because they're afraid of being called "retards", but why fucking bother. You know it all.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 4:45 pm

Not a huge fan. I know folks who have worked with him and worship the ground he walks on. I think the drug use came after he starting hanging out with the members of Austin's 80's Rock elite. He's always been mentally ill, not retarded. He's sort of a savant, but WR is right, he's no Brian Wilson.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 5:03 pm

you're a brian wilson!

love him. great.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 5:07 pm

sucks. he couldn't even kill steve shelly when he tried. loser.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Daniel Johnston is awesome...his cover of "got to get you into my life" is some transcendent type shit. I almost backed over him once though. Accidently. My band opened for him and I had a ladyfriend with me that night and I guess he took a liking to her and he followed us around all night while he drank Mountain Dew after Mountain Dew...I loaded my amp and shit into my car after the show and he just stood behind my car, I thought he would have moved but he just stood there sippin on his soda...
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 5:25 pm

Neither Wes nor Daniel were "retarded" nor were they "geniuses." Both had mental illness. Wes was actually a really good visual artist with a singular style (in the fauve/primitive sense). Daniel wrote some good pop songs with (at times) touching & weird lyrics.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 5:40 pm

For about 6 months, I used to encounter DJ almost daily. I'd never been a huge fan of his music, barely appreciated it at best. But my daily encounters with him were some of my favorite moments in Austin. You never knew what to expect with DJ. The guy was overweight, and had some muscle on him. When the crazy light turn on, it was VERY unnerving. Crazy strength is very scary, mixed with unpredictability, and you had a possibility of a bomb going off. But man, on his good days, the smile on his face, how he exhaled happiness, and how he treasured such small details, it just warmed your heart. And his love for The Beatles was fascinating. Just watching him bop his head up and down on the turntables to the millioneth time he'd listen to Sgt. Pepper, smile bigger than the sun, you just don't see happiness like that often. When we commisioned him to paint his alien frog on the side of the building, he was just in complete awe that someone actually cared enough about his art to let him paint something that big. Shortly after this 6 months of seeing Dan daily, he was committed back into an institution. Life got a little more boring.

Call it retardation, call it craziness, whatever. Seeing how he took in the world, man, it was a very interesting sight to take in.

Right before I moved out of Austin, back in April of '98, KVRX, the Univ of Tex student radio staion, hosted a live in KVRX studio show with DJ, and some other Austin scene musicians backing him. That radio show is spectacular, and it's when I finally "got him". I'm still hit or miss with most of his music, but the ones I like, I really like and do think some of them borderline on genius. Others are some of the worst crap I've ever heard.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Wes spent a lot of time in Green Bay (Ron Kispert & Erik Lee were founding members of the Fiasco), and I guess kids would take him to art class and shit like that. A million stories about that guy. He was an interesting one to take around a small town - an enormous schitzo black dude who was overly friendly/excited and very vocal. Lots of the older punk-types in town have his artwork up on their walls - I've seen several takes on the copper-domed admin building downtown & even Lambeau field. I wish I had one - like I said, I think his visual stuff was actually pretty damn good. Couldn't stand watching him embarass himself on keyboards, though & there's no need to have more than one album (if that).
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 6:28 pm

Hey, I act retarded all the time.

I'm for 'em!
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 6:31 pm

Call it retardation, call it craziness, whatever.

Or show some fuckin' compassion and just call him a musician, or a human being.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 6:36 pm

at least he doesn't live on his mom an dad's couch.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Actually, he does.

You should take a plane ride with Daniel sometime.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 6:49 pm

Call it retardation, call it craziness, whatever.

Or show some fuckin' compassion and just call him a musician, or a human being.

I thought that is what I was doing.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 6:50 pm | Edited by: bvalentine

he couldn't even kill steve shelly when he tried.

Steve Shelly is the fucking problem. Everything that guy touches turns to shit. Notice how Towns died soon as Shelly oportunistic bastard meat hooks got in to him. He burned Easley down too, just to be a dick.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 7:23 pm

I thought that is what I was doing.

You were. I'm just saying, no reason to call someone fuckin' retarded when they've simply got trouble dealing with the pressures of life. I've got several friends and family members who have been institutionalized. None of them are even close to being retarded. In fact, it's quite the opposite, their problem is mostly that they're TOO smart. I believe it is completely and totally RATIONAL to go crazy when you're confronted with the things they've been confronted with.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 7:28 pm

at least he doesn't live on his mom an dad's couch.

Hey, neither do I anymore. Now that my sister is back in St. Louis I got a bed of my own. Kinda fuckin' rules.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 8:13 pm

He played a set at All Tomorrow's Parties at the Queen Mary a few years back. He missed his plane and didn't show until after 1:00am. His set was only about 15 minutes long - only time I've seen him play piano - and let me tell you, it was about the most powerful 15 minutes of music I've ever heard. Absolutely devastating. I don't know whether he's a genius but he sounded like it that night.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 8:14 pm

When we commisioned him to paint his alien frog on the side of the building

Would that be Sound Exchange?
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 9:00 pm | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

ho said anything about being bi-polar? is that what he is? I thought he was manic-depressive?

Same thing. Bipolar has been the correct term for a while, though.

And who the hell are we talking about anyway? I need to look this up.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 9:09 pm

Steve Shelly is the fucking problem. Everything that guy touches turns to shit. Notice how Towns died soon as Shelly oportunistic bastard meat hooks got in to him. He burned Easley down too, just to be a dick.

Really? Do tell...
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 9:12 pm

Really? Do tell...

Watch the Towns Van Zandt documentary. Shit, I bet Shelly was pissed when Wesley Willis died, he coulda made a buck off that dude.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 11:49 pm

The "Devil And Daniel Johnston" doc. is interesting to watch; but his story/the movie is alot better than the actual music. I felt like it didn't live up to the hype. Ditto on Wesely Willis, who was like a freak show joke and was expolited, IMO. Hearing white suburban kids ramble on about that guy used to make me sick when I lived in Wisconsin.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 12:00 am

wesley willis= awesome rock action but no daniel johnston genius.

wesley coleman... now there's someone on the same plane, baby!
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 5:19 am

ho said anything about being bi-polar? is that what he is? I thought he was manic-depressive?

Same thing. Bipolar has been the correct term for a while, though.

And who the hell are we talking about anyway? I need to look this up.

manic depression comes along with being bi-polar
either your VERY depressed
or very active (yet still creepy)
pills for bi-polar folks try to get them to stay somewhere in the middle.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 5:43 am

Are you sure Daniel Johnston was a genius? Cause I think he may have just been retarded.

They're really getting you to rack your brain out in that rock n roll class for those kinds of answers , heh?
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 5:49 am

Watch the Towns Van Zandt documentary.

I did. I got it. I love it, especially when the dentist had to smash his teeth to get the tube of glue out that was stuck in his mouth. They mention going to Easley's & sure, TVZ dies after that, but I don't see how they specify that Steve Shelley helped pound a nail in his coffin.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 8:20 am

Wesely Willis, who was like a freak show joke and was expolited, IMO. Hearing white suburban kids ramble on about that guy used to make me sick when I lived in Wisconsin.

Agreed x 1,000
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 8:37 am

that's mean

please administrators delete this thread
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 9:14 am

Hi! How Are You?
I'm great, bitch!
Droppin' da N-Bomb.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 12:33 pm

I liked Wes - I thought he was an interesting person. I did feel bad for him every time I saw him play, though.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 1:17 pm

going to Easley's & sure, TVZ dies after that, but I don't see how they specify that Steve Shelley

No way dude. The DVD extras actually has footage of Shelley pouring gas on Easley and lighting the match, then running off squeeling like a little girl. He was all pissed about TVZ not being able to finish his little project.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®