Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / possible Cool Jerks cover
BigScottRogers
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 1:03 am

We are trying to figure out the next 7 in and I was thinking about maybe a cover of Echo and The Bunnymen's 1986 classic Bring on the Dancing Horses, or maybe something like Pictures of You by the Cure. Any input?
razor a go go
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 1:07 am

do it clean.
crowbar
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 1:12 am

You should do "Angel of the Morning" by Merilee Rush & the Turnabouts.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 1:20 am

"Big"guys using other peoples names..."Razors"..."Crow Bars"....I feel like I've stumbled into Queens Fat Bottomed Girls video!
LittleChrisAlienator
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 7:53 am

Fuck you
Dale
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 8:02 am

"Fascination" by the Human League
Andrew Earles
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 9:16 am

"Push" by the Cure - it's on The Head On The Door. Good guitar song. For that period (and region), nothing beats prime Wedding Present. More balls, too.
eric o
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 12:11 pm

my high school band did "do it clean," it;s a fucking rockin song.

"bring on the dancing horses" is good, too. echo and the bunnymen are great.

the best thing about europeans is they have no sense of humor- when they make the joke, they show they ass.

and i see ass.

Robby G
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 2:22 pm

"the best thing about europeans is they have no sense of humor"

Is that supposed to be funny?
Todd Trickknee
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 3:59 pm

Am I the only one who hears a hint of Bunnymen in the new Cuts album? It's mostly in some of the vocals, but a few songs (like "The Early Bird") have more than a lil'. Bunnymen are definitely one of my guilty pleasures, and "Do it Clean" is a great fucking song. Oh, and the Cuts album is amazing!
dangerouspinkie
Posted: Oct 22, 2003 6:44 pm

what a crazy show last night! the cuts probably played three of my favorite songs i've heard live in a long time, and then backed that up by playing three of the worst songs i've heard live ever! i mean ever! what the shit?! it was like one minute they were doing amazing harmonies, rocking strange complex, but coherent songs, and the next minute they sounded like a really bad talent show band trying to cover christopher cross. one song, sounded a lot like hall and oates at first until i realized that the singer (electric piano player was singing lead on the really bad ones) was totally off key on everything, and there was no groove so it just came off as the whitest most terrible song of all times! then without any warning, they turned around and rocked the shit out of the next song, which was amazing! I don't know, the piano player was doing fine with the harmonies, they should just have him stick with background vocals. and stick to the rock! i wanted more more more!
ed oblivian
Posted: Oct 23, 2003 9:03 am

Couldn't agree with you more. They asked what i thought of the new songs and my hesitant but honest reply was "those three new songs are a little to Christopher Cross for me". They kinda laughed it off. I haveta' say it takes balls to get up on stage and play two songs back to back that people are litterally cringing. They definitely aren't pandering to popular asthetics.Their rockers are always great but I think they're moving away from the rock. Thats really too bad cause the new guitar player is great, he played my guitar parts from the record so good I wished he'd cut'em.
eric o
Posted: Oct 23, 2003 12:13 pm

vote #3 agrees: it was good... and bad.

electric piano sound still makes my skin crawl, but they pull it off. the guy's voice is great, too.

eric o
Posted: Oct 23, 2003 12:13 pm

"the best thing about europeans is they have no sense of humor"

Is that supposed to be funny?

---------------------

now THAT"S funny.

Wah Hey
Posted: Oct 23, 2003 5:00 pm

Man, Memphis get's weird in the fall. I came down in June to see Stax and Reigning Sound and it's was all beer and rock and roll. Now this sites full of Haiku and talk of covering English bands. I think the Cool Jerks should go American...Crime, Real Kids, Flamin' Groovies, Replacements

See Ya Halloween

Luke Batarang
Posted: Oct 24, 2003 9:37 am

hey scott, already a writer's block after the debut album? life's hard, man!
BIGGAYDUTCHBASTARD
Posted: Oct 24, 2003 12:52 pm

MAN, WHATEVER THE COOL JERKS DECIDE TO DO I'M SURE IT'LL BE GREAT! YOU GUYS HAVE LOADS OF TALENT. UNLIKE ME AND MY LITTLE DUTCH BAND.
uleeshuh
Posted: Oct 25, 2003 7:41 am

How about the Outfield "lost your love tonight" ???
Dale
Posted: Oct 25, 2003 12:32 pm

Either "Nowhere Girl" by B-Movie or "Party Of My Mind" by the Sound.

In case of a tie

"Hey Tonight" by CCR!

Dale
Posted: Oct 25, 2003 12:39 pm

Then again I think the Lost Sounds should do "It's All I can Do" , "Lust For Kicks" and "Dangerous Type" as a Bancroft single...
Dale
Posted: Oct 25, 2003 12:41 pm

Actually nix on "Lust For Kicks" and replace it with "Double Life"

I've posted 3 times in a row now.

Actually the Cool Jeks should do "Wasn't That A Party" by the Rovers...

uleeshuh
Posted: Oct 26, 2003 3:58 am

back to the cuts, when they were good they were great, and I appreciated the show a lot.
fierydrunk
Posted: Oct 26, 2003 5:38 am

Really risk something and do Depeche Mode "Policy of Truth".
kevin e
Posted: Oct 26, 2003 6:40 am

I've been grooving to Foghat's "Fool For The City" lately.
eric o
Posted: Oct 26, 2003 8:00 pm

yeah, the good cuts songs were fantastic.

speaking of which, mr airplane man was great last night.

peterlaughner
Posted: Oct 26, 2003 8:26 pm

mr airplane man, are they from Boston?
My pal Robin said they were really cool. But she is drunk 24/7 in Nola so...
Wah Hey
Posted: Oct 27, 2003 2:35 am

Mr. Airplane is leaving Boston and coming your way. If you missed them check them out in your town soon. I'm from Boston and I'm going to miss seeing them. Our loss but they sound like they came from Memphis all along.
Chris O
Posted: Oct 27, 2003 2:53 am

did you see the husbands (w/ mr airpane man)?

cool jerks should do "object" by the cure from the 3 imaginary boys record.

tkrichards
Posted: Oct 27, 2003 6:05 am

I think a Lost Sounds tribute to the Cars Candy O album on Bancroft is a good idea. Who would pose as the cover girl? Would you use a covervette?
eric o
Posted: Oct 27, 2003 7:23 am

Mr Airplane Man ruled last night. Got goosebumps they were so good. Missed the Husbands due to work. Demolition Doll Rods put on a good show, too. Always entertaining. More clothing than previous few shows.
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 7:43 am

This is a great pic!
Doctor Sardonicus
Posted: Oct 28, 2003 7:45 am

damn you, unfriendly 1...share the wealth.

http://www.geocities.com/dazedscar/DemolitionDollRods12a.jpg

As great as this pic is...I miss the her bikinis made out of records and car tires! or that's what it looked like in Mrr...she's hot.

Scott
Posted: Nov 4, 2003 1:11 am

I've actually wanted to do Hey Tonight for a long time.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®