Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Make 10,000 a month working from home!
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 9:47 pm

OK,

so I got one of those emails - and I finally read it.

basically it said that taxes are so high on imports that if they had someone in the states process their payment then they would save like a 24% tax. So cash the check, deduct your 10% and mail them a check for the rest.

Fishy - I know. Whatever - but I was feeling cocky and was like, ok, sure send me a check that's cool - thinking they would ask me for some personal info, but all they asked for was my address.

lo and behold last week I get a check for 4800 bucks made out to me.

So, I deposited it and decided to wait to make sure it goes through and then, if and when it does, I'll mail them the balance.

Now, I'm kind of getting nervous...

is this against the law?

if the check ends up being bad - they can't do anything to me can they?
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 9:52 pm

Posted: Jan 22, 2007 9:53 pm

until they get the cancelled/insuffient funds check back with your account number and routing number printed out on the back with your endorsement...they will then have your signature and account information...its a scam...I might think about closing my checking account
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 10:00 pm

Don't mail them anything and talk to your bank! You'd better hang on to that $4,800 for now, because you will have to give it back soon enough. That is a pretty well-known scam. The cheque is a forgery and even if it "clears" your account, it will take a while for either your bank or the "issuing" bank to catch on. When they figure it out, you will be on the hook for the entire amount.

ah - thanks goner board.

just called my bank and they took the check out of deposit - (that's one good thing about a credit union rather than a bank, they know your name...)

There was no wire transfer talked about, so I thought I was safe on that - And if the check was bad - how would they get my acoount number - the check wouldn't go back to them,

anyway, better to be safe than sorry.

Notify your bank and put a hold on your account. You'll have to open another account, but if you freeze your current one, the crooks can't siphon your funds. Otherwise, you're fucked.
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 10:02 pm

They're still going to have your bank info and signature now because the issuer's bank has to provide them a copy of it, be it electronic or paper, and your signature and bank info (like VR said) is on the back.
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 10:04 pm

Stop believing in the chimera of "something for nothing.

I like this line, myself.
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 10:06 pm

I dropped it in the box - so it hasn't been deposited yet. I just called the lady and told her the deal and she said she wouldn't deposit it.
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 10:54 pm

So now you know.

G.I. Joe!!!
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 11:31 pm

Rachel, my good pal the former Nigerian Minister for Finance will email you in just a minute, hope you can help him out.
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 12:26 am

hey, i heard from that guy! sounds to me like a fucking goldmine!!!
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 12:36 am

Hahah, you fell for this?
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 12:45 am

what, are you stupid?
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 3:52 am

I would like to send you a check for $5,000 Rachel. Cash it, do not deposit it only cash it, and send me back $1,000. You keep $4,000! PM me for details.
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 4:02 am | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

I've got some hot stock tips!
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 6:20 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®