Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Fuck Cancer.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 7:20 pm

Yeah, so my grandfather was 82, but no one deserves to waste away in 8 months. He kept such a great attitude; no complaints, at least not out loud. He was cracking jokes til the end. Died in his sleep. I guess there is no better way than to live an amazing life like he did and then go out in sleep.

RIP Grandaddy Tom.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 7:24 pm

Watching cancer eat a loved one is one of the saddest things in the world.

Condolences.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 7:27 pm

I'm sorry. My grandad (dad's side) is the only grandparent I have left and I miss him like crazy. He's actually in Portland.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 7:46 pm

g-pa died 20 some odd years ago from it. never really knew him.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 7:50 pm

I lucked out and was born when my parents were 19 so I knew all my grandparents really well. He was so great. Had a wonderfully rich life and could have acted like a complete snob, but really never did. He was active all the way up to the day the cancer decided to come out of hiding, playing tennis and delivering the eucharist every Sunday.

He was a total sweetie. Well, he did make brutal fun of my thick Southern accent when I was living in West Memphis (he was born n bred in NYC/Westchester Co), but who could blame him? I could barely understand myself.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 7:54 pm

g-pa died 20 some odd years ago from it. never really knew him.

i mostly remember him hanging his leg over the arm of the rocking chair and rocking away while we ran around the whole house.

and i remember very clearly that when he died and they came to get me from school (1st grade) we were walking back into the building from recess and Linda Brady was standing there in the walkway with my stuff because mom was at the hospital or somesuch.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 8:38 pm

My final surviving grandparent is my maternal grandmother. She's 97 years old. She was in relatively great shape until about 4 months ago when she got stomach cancer. At that age, there's not much they can do for you, as the chemo will kill you faster than the cancer. We're going to Ft. Lauderdale to visit her and my parents this weekend. I'm guessing this will be the last time we see her alive. Her sister is 94 and also living down there. They both escaped Tsarist russia as children to get away from the cossacks. When they're gone, that generation of my family is kaput. It's pretty sad, I guess, but they had a good run.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 8:43 pm

ya fuck it...i just found out yesterday that my mom has cancer
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 8:54 pm

lost both of my parents to cancer a little over year between the two. cancer is a bitch.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Sorry to all of yaz....Everyone has parents and grandparents and if you got a good relationship with em, cherish every day....I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of my Mum passing away and I still miss her every day....she was my biggest fan...and she was a great singer.....used to sing with big bands in the late 30's/early 40's.

Condolences
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 9:35 pm

Yes, sympathy and empathy to all of you. He tried very hard to fight it but the chemo just decimated him and then it ended up creeping in his lymph system and apparently that is just the end. The last time I talked to him was 12 days before he died and his voice was like a high pitched wheeze. I didn't crack once but tears were just pouring down my face. I am glad we were on the phone.

The last thing he said to me was, "Tell Ryan I am practicing my drop kick in case he ever does anything to hurt you!!!"
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 9:40 pm

My condolences to all of you guys.

Lost my mother to cancer a little over 2 years ago. I decided right then that I would not go through chemo or radiation treatments if I was ever diagnosed with the stuff myself. I'll do other more wholistic, natural, regimented type of treatments and take my chances with some of the other options out there.

Anyone else come to that conclusion?
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 9:55 pm

I can't decide. My friend had breast cancer and I think she did some concentrated radiation and is "cured".

The stuff my GT went thru was brutal.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 10:02 pm

Yeah , same here. My dad went through all the chemo and other tricks and it seemed to just make the time that he had left miserable. nothing more humbling than being able to pick your father up and carry him to the bed room cause he's so frail and sick from chemo. we had hospice in the end , as bad as it sounds i thought about od'ing him on morphine when i had to give it to him from a dropper, cause by that point it didn't help the pain. my mom went really fast , found out that she had stomach cancer about 6 months after pop passed . we think one of the reasons that she went so fast was due to grieving over dad so maybe that was a good thing. it broke my heart when i had to take her to look for wigs cause the chemo made her loose her hair. Golightly is right, drop all the bullshit and lovem as much as you can.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 10:05 pm

Sorry. I just went through the same thing a year ago with my grandpa. Sort of snuck up on him and though he tried chemo/radiation, it got him before he could harvest his garden. I think the worst part was holding him while he cried and croaked about how cold it was. I also feel extremely ill when I talk about it.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 10:08 pm

My grandad was most pissed about losing his hair as it was truly his crowning glory--pure white and curly; he'd brush it all 20's/30's style with a cool "wave". Yeah, it snuck up on him too. It is like that shit just is there and decides when the time is right to strike people at will.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 10:08 pm

my grandma just beat cancer
i cant handle anymore death
but from death comes rebirth
sorry about your loss
i hope i make it to 82
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 3:01 am

I'm feeling for you...I have some grandparents that are getting old and the family is getting concerned for sure.

I hate this shit too.
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 8:03 am

sorry for your loss saispas/fiery/irene.
its wonderful that he was in your life and for so long.

mbarker - i'm with you - my mom died of ovarian cancer 14 years ago - it is a disease where the symptoms are almost no different than simply a bad day, women's health wise, and i decided after seeing her go through her second tour of chemo, that if i ever learned i had cancer, fuck it - the surgery and the chemo seem worse than the disease

yeah fuck cancer. and my empathy to all the other cancer patient families out there.
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 1:10 pm

I'm sorry saispas.
My regards and best wishes for your family.
My mom died of breast cancer 5 years ago.

Watching cancer eat a loved one is one of the saddest things in the world.

Oh yeah.
I hate that disease.
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 1:34 pm

My condolences to you.
My Mom went through cancer hell almost two years ago, my mother in law last year. Unfortunately, as we all get older, this kind of stuff hits us all more often.
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 3:33 pm

Yep--all the more important to not avoid going to the doctor, as much as it scares us!
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 4:03 pm

Sorry to hear about this saispas, and everyone else. I've had it/got it (not sure), both my parents have got it. We all do our best to ignore it altogether, we are completely sick and fucking tired of thinking about it.
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 5:42 pm

For what it's worth, there's these supplements that go under the general description of "Glyconutrients"---in a nutshell the theory is that we don't get enough good food today (duh) and when we don't eat overprocessed crap, we cook most of the good nutrients out of our food (and we should be eating more food/veggies in rawest form,)-- this situation in conjunction with the high level of toxins everybody's exposed to in the modern world put's our bodies in a situation they were never designed to cope with--so a person needs to supplement their diet to greater degrees...

Whatever. The whole thing seemed flaky and strange, but I did work with a guy who's son had cancer and knocked it out completely--twice. He credited these supplements with being the crucial element in their success and maintianing it. (He's divorced from the mother and had to take her to court to get her to put their son back on the regimen for the second bout...)

There's also a fellah named Bill Henderson who has a book out there about beating cancer. He'll talk to you directly on the phone and not try to sell you a thing. I spoke to him and he seems to have integrity. If you do a search under "Bill Henderson--cure your cancer" you can find him.

I appologize for throwing this stuff up on the Goner board. As rigid alluded, anyone dealing with this crap is sick of thinking about it and most likely tired of hearing any more suggestions/options. I don't even need to be on here spending the time to type this.

Just thought it was important enough to throw out there so anyone struggling with cancer can evaluate and come to their own conclusions.

Notice I did not slander the hotdog in any way.
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 6:07 pm

I think anything is important to consider with this mess. I know my grandfather was old, but when he got the lung cancer dx last May or June, they gave him TWO WEEKS w/o radiation and chemo. So he did it. he wanted to buy some more time. I think it worked for that, but it combined with the natural course of cancer that could not be eradicated, just decimated his already fragile body. At least he got 8 months. He got to see people and come to conclusions about his death that were healthy.
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 6:37 pm

condolences. sitting back and watching someone you love die before your fucking eyes is awful! my dad died from liver cancer in september. he only knew he had it for 3 months. i dont think it has completely sunk in yet. it will surely haunt me forever.
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 6:51 pm

as much as i hate thinking about it i know there is a possibility cancer will be a part of my life. i don't smoke, i don't drink and i try to eat as well as i can. hopefully i can lower the chances of getting cancer by taking care of myself.
but on the bright side, there seems to be a decline in the cancer death rate:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070118/NEWS07/701180 310/1001/BUSINESS05
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 2:58 am

Wiped out my family, that's for sure. Uncles, aunts, grannies and grandpa's.
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 3:13 am

my pops is in MN at mayo right now getting his chemo & radiation. thought it was gone last time, but its back and spread like crazy. made it a lot easier for me to cut back on smokes!
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 3:13 am

But yeah, sorry for your loss, K. I've had two major scares. Or what I felt were major scares. The first time was of the nut variety. Was checked up and down, had an ultrasound on my dogs, and came up clean. Turns out I had a dilated blood vessel providing swelling and discomfort to the region in question. The second time, I had the back door checked out. I was passing a fair amount of blood. Went in for a colonoscopy, and it ended up being a ruptured roid. Everyone should have one of these done; they provide some good piece of mind. The procedure itself is not bad, cuz you are not around for that, and I mean you are OUT!! The prep is awful, however, and the colon-raking via high-powered laxative (for a day and a half prior to the look-see) ultimately made me so weak that my mom had to help me walk straight at the hospital. When the obtrusive morning was over, my mom took me to Anderton's for lunch. I kept begging her to take me home so that I could nap ("Hold on, I'm going to finish my desert and have a cigarette"), as the Demerol/Xanax cocktail is sooooo strong and lingers for the entire day (not in a good way, either). I literally passed out in the restaurant, with my right hand in a salad.
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 5:35 am

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®