Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / whole foods vs trader joes
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 8:12 am

anybody shopping at either of these joints?
which do you prefer?
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 9:11 am

memphis has neither so i prefer them both
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 1:29 pm

Trader Joe's is a lot cheaper, but has less selection. Whole Foods is for rich people although the array of choices is mind boggling. I really like Trader Joe's, but it's far away from where I live. I still go there once a month to get some basics. Their beer and wine is cheap too.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 2:20 pm

atlanta currently doesn't have trader joes, but there's one about to open and i don't really go to whole foods too much because of the location and price, but they do have some pretty good food. kroger is the closest grocery store to my house and they've been carrying more and more vegetarian options and now they've got a video rental machine for $1 day so i'm pretty sold on kroger.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 2:59 pm

Trader Joe's is the Aldi's version of Whole Foods.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 3:13 pm

Whole Foods produce/ meats/ cheeses = great.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:01 pm

ALDI ALDI ALDI ALDI
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:07 pm

I despise both of these places. I could see where Trader Joes could be practical if there was one nearby, but I don't see how it lives up to all the yuppie hype. Whole Foods is the worst. Whenever I set foot in Whole Foods, rage takes over me and I want to stab every single customer and employee in the store.

Aside from the expensive ass vegetables and some of the meat, everything they sell is the same garbage you'd get at wal mart supercenter, it's just packaged nicer and costs twice as much.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:09 pm

Oh, I went to "Central Market" in Texas, it's even worse than Whole Foods.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:11 pm

If you saw the shit produce available in my neighborhood you'd make plans to go to whole foods. there's not one acceptable grocery store anywhere near me. i think alot of outer-borough dwellers face this problem.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:13 pm

they got trader joe's in my town. all the people who work there wear hawaiin shirts. gay. an the food blows too. the only thing i get there is recycled paper towels an unsalted pistachio nuts. stop an shop rules!!!
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:14 pm

I agree with the Raider, but I like Trader Joe's because it's nearby and affordable, and the clientele and employees aren't as nauseating. And they have bottles of wine for $4 (or something ridiculous like that). Don't even like wine, but that's kinda great.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:14 pm

the produce at my local supermarket is pretty bad too, but you know what I do? I buy frozen vegetables. Not having to drive to the suburbs for Swiss Chard is worth more to me than being a pretentious ass about food.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:17 pm

I like Trader Joe's okay, but mostly 'cause it's a few blocks from my apartment. If it wasn't in the neighborhood, I wouldn't be bothered.

The hippies at Whole Foods make me wanna punch.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:18 pm

And they have bottles of wine for $4 (or something ridiculous like that).

is that the two buck chuck? my friends rave about that stuff. I haven't set foot in either since they've opened up here. All the blue lights in Whole Foods makes me think it's too expensive for me. My roomie works there though and from what he's told me, they treat their employees great.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:19 pm

My roomie works there though and from what he's told me, they treat their employees great.

From my observations, they don't even make their employees wash their hair!
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:19 pm

you can't buy frozen cucumbers. you should see the nasty banged up inch thick of shiny wax rotten parts cukes we have around here. and it's nearly impossible to buy any yellow or orange bell peppers that don't look like 80 year old women. And don't get me started on apples.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:21 pm

yellow or orange bell peppers? who do you think you are, jackie kennedy?
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:27 pm

they're good in salads, sheesh!
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:27 pm

I haven't set foot in either since they've opened

hope that didnt sound like i wouldn't or anything, just haven't.

From my observations, they don't even make their employees wash their hair!

really though! starting wage is awesome (dollar raise after a few months), working holidays is optional but you get holiday pay, insurance after working so many hours for insanely cheap-forgot how much exactly (after comparing that to the 160/month i'd have to pay, that sounds nice)

i love orange peppers.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:28 pm

they're good in salads, sheesh!

and omelots.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:31 pm

And on pizza.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:33 pm

only meat and onions goes on pizza.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:40 pm

And mashed potatoes.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Once again, read Womb Raider's post and see me nodding my head in agreement.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:49 pm

Aside from the expensive ass vegetables and some of the meat

see?
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:52 pm

s that the two buck chuck? my friends rave about that stuff.

Don't even get me started with Trader Joes. I go to Whole Foods (or the other stores like that) maybe 4 times a year to buy bulk granola and grains, mostly. Too expensive.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:54 pm

they opened a 52,000 square foot whole foods here in the suburbs, which is like the size of a wal-mart. the fresh food and vitamins sections are the same size as a regular whole foods, and they just filled the rest of the space up with designer junk food. fancy potato chips and sodas, etc. it's very good at attracting white trash who have too much money on their hands.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 4:59 pm | Edited by: gore

maybe it's because I grew up with a trader joe's down the street my whole life. But I dig it. The produce is better, bread is great, good lowfat meats, cheese selection is great. $2 bottles of wine, $3 tall boy six packs $9 fifths of whiskey. yeah...good shit.

On the other hand...I hate whole foods. You don't get all the yuppie scum at trader joe's out here. Unless you live in a yuppie hood. Whole Foods is yuppie heaven.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 5:07 pm

trader joes 'cause it reminds me of trader vic's.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 5:09 pm

Whole Foods is yuppie heaven.

The yuppie customers combined with the hippie employees is the worst combination of people ever.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 5:18 pm

trader joes 'cause it reminds me of trader vic's.

not me. but i hear ya.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 5:28 pm

I resent both, but really despise the smarmy Hawaiian shirt-clad beefcake glorified cashiers at Trader Joe's. The flirting with the velour sweatpant wearing housewivery at that joint is jaw-dropping.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 5:35 pm

Why are you poor people so grumpy? Cheer up, you have Big Lots!
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 5:35 pm

what is it with housewifes and velour sweatsuits anyway? being velour doesn't make it any better.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 5:42 pm

One of my good friends is a manager at Trader Joe's and has fucked at least five of his coworkers. I don't think he even bothers flirting with the customers. He's probably too sore.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 5:44 pm

yeah, it looks like there's a lotta fags who work there.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 5:47 pm

Fags and fat party animals.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 6:05 pm | Edited by: No Big Thing

I got no problem with Trader Joe's.

I can get a repackaged 9% ABV 750ml of Unibroue's Trois Pistoles for $4.99. A block away at Sam's Wine that's going to set me back $7.49. A sixer of their WinterFest, a repackaged 7.5% ABV Gordon Biersch dopplebock, runs me $5.99. These are steals.

As a couple folks have pointed out, there's some really great wine deals as well. Their $2.99-$3.99 wines are coming from some pretty nice vineyards and aren't too shabby either.

I can get some pretty great cereal there cheaper than I can most Kellog's/Post crap at any of the other markets near me.

Nice selection of pastas, sauces, baking supplies, and breads, all pretty damn cheap.

Their meat and produce aren't terribly special. They do treat their employees well, which does make it more appealing to me, but that's offset by the majority of the people shopping there, who are almost as bad as the monstrous wastes of space that Whole Foods seems to cultivate as their ideal customer .

Whole Foods...good meat and produce, but it is all super pricey. They treat their employees like crap and being in there makes your skin crawl. I still go there once every couple weeks for a brand of salsa I'm addicted to and milk, which is cheaper than TJs.
Thankfully, there's a bunch of decent carnicerias and produce markets around so I'm not stuck relying on either places for most of that stuff.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 6:09 pm

I can get some pretty great cereal there cheaper than I can most Kellog's/Post crap

Yeah ok, but what about General Mills, hmmmmm?
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Yeah ok, but what about General Mills, hmmmmm?

Admittedly, I don't think I've noticed a TJ stand-in for Lucky Charms.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 6:12 pm

The yuppie customers combined with the hippie employees is the worst combination of people ever.
Whole Foods here doesn't have hippie employees, just hot lesbians. That's why I sometimes go there to grab something for lunch.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 6:33 pm

Trader Joe's (West Hollywood) is cheaper, has hottie customers and friendly, ultra upbeat checkers. Whole Foods (Hollywood) has boutique food shoppers and ill-mannered hipster space cadets manning the registers, and rarely an open parking spot.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 6:48 pm

does anyone ever shop local stuff?
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 7:17 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

I never go to Whole Foods. The prices are way too high and it's not nearby. I go to Trader Joe's occasionally since it's closer and cheaper. Luckily, the TJ I frequent isn't pretentious at all. They're building another TJ in Oakland much closer to my home. Due to its locale, that place will be a nice blend of old people, yuppies, hipsters, derelicts, and gangstas. Awesome. My only beef with TJ is they make them all the same size (small) and they wind up being crowded with long lines all the time.

I do most of my produce shopping at Mexican markets, since there's one very close, there's never any lines, it's cheaper than Safeway, and it's more convenient than the Farmer's Market, which are only on certain days/times. The only problem is a lot of that produce is "used food." If you don't use it right away, it goes bad.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 7:27 pm

atlanta currently doesn't have trader joes, but there's one about to open and i don't really go to whole foods too much because of the location and price, but they do have some pretty good food. kroger is the closest grocery store to my house and they've been carrying more and more vegetarian options and now they've got a video rental machine for $1 day so i'm pretty sold on kroger.

Trey>> there are actually 12 Trader Joes that are opening in Atlanta. I think only three are only open at the moment (the rest are coming). As to two buck Chuck - it's now three buck Chuck and only the Merlot is any good. The Cabernet Sauvignon is piss.

Whole Foods: We generally refer to this as Whole Paycheck, a term which I think I picked up from my friend Tim. Anyway, I go there when we're entertaining or in the neighborhood and want to hit the salad bar. Their wine selection sucks, and I can get everything they have in the wine section for at least $3 less elsewhere. Tasty pizza but hardly worth a drive unless you really want some specialty item.

But even worse than Whole Foods.....Fresh Market. What a shithole.

Trey - Which Kroger do you shop at? The one near me is the one filled with GA Tech students and I find it badly stocked and fairly filthy. So I do the bulk of my shopping at Publix, who are opening a new location very close to me (finally).
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 7:28 pm

does anyone ever shop local stuff?

Yes. Dekalb Farmers Market in the Atlanta area is the best shit in town. LOVE it. Unfortunately, its a real pain to get to from my side of town so I don't go there as much as I used to when I lived in Little 5 Points.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 7:58 pm

I've been going to Target and despite not having produce, I save about $25-40 each month on groceries. Some stuff is about half the price of the local regular places like Jewel & Dominicks, but Trader Joes is even cheaper on stuff like cereal and pistachios and stuff like that.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 9:32 pm

I think the price of the Chuck Shaw depends on what part of the country they sell it. It's still 1.99 in Calif. Also they had a good Oktoberfest beer for $2.99 a six pack. I don't care what the employees wear. At the quickie-mart, beer costs twice that.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 9:34 pm

Trader Joe's rules my kitchen

Whole foods is for prententious assholes, who think "organic" means something.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 9:52 pm

Trader Joe's is the Aldi's version of Whole Foods.

trader joes is owned by the german ALDI corporation
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 10:40 pm

depends on which branch of either store you go to on just how awful the employees or the customers are.

i share both shenanigan's and gore's sentiments pretty much right on the nose.

the run down on LA branches of each store:

TJ's - Santa Monica (Pico Blvd) - a clientele and staff way too granola for me
WHole Foods Santa Monica (Wilshire/20th) - a clientele and staff way too yuppie for anyone. Calif. First Lady, Maria Shriver shops there. it is a good place to spot celebrities

TJ's - Hollywood/LA (Santa Monica Blvd./Fuller or La Brea/3rd) - pretty much easy going, in/out, no problem - although the parking lot at the La Brea store is not big enough for the volume of drivers/traffic

Whole Foods Hollywood/LA (Santa Monica/Fairfax or Fairfax/3rd) - parking is a nightmare, clientele have no manners and the aisles are too narrow to begin with and every solipsistic, cosmetic-surgeried idiot will bang into you with their shopping cart

has anyone in LA noticed that the prices of produce in Ralph's is pretty close to the Whole Foods prices?

i'm not one of those people who demands organic stuff but i want a large selection of foods that do not have MSG, high fructose corn syrup and other toxic things that are in every day supermarket brands AND i don't want to pay a fortune for foods that have a shorter shelf life than their over-processed counterparts, thus TJ's is pretty much the store for me.

three times over the holidays, i've attempted to shop in whole foods only to walk straight out
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 10:51 pm

Whole Foods is a good place to get free cheese.
I think you all know what I'm talking about.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 11:42 pm

Are you guys kidding? Who's an idiot? Trader joe's is fucking awesome, if you can get over the hawaiian shirts. Affordable and great stuff.... Whole foods SUCKS. We like to call it whole paycheck, cause thats how much it costs to shop there. I like Freddy's, Safeway, or if I'm feeling glamorous, New Seasons.
Posted: Jan 17, 2007 11:50 pm

You just described most of Austin.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 12:32 am

You just described most of Austin.

Now that's funny.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 12:46 am

Wow. Has it gotten that much worse than when I left in '98?
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 12:52 am

I've shopped at both places and they are totally different. Whole Foods is expensive food for crunchy granola types - organic, farm raised, gluten free, vegan/vegatarian, environmental friendly, etc. Trader Joe's is a speciality market - they don't carry everything, like you can't do all your grocery shopping there, and most of what they do carry is their own store brand. They specialize in bringing better tasting and "exotic" foods and flavours to a larger market at decent prices. Whole Foods is from Austin and has a monopoly here that keeps Trader Joe's out, which is stupid because they really wouldn't be in competition.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 12:53 am

And Trader Joe's treats their employees incredibly well... good pay and discount and full time benefits for part time work.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 2:02 am

TJ's = Rad
WF = Fucked
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 2:05 am

Thats what I'm screamin, Juan!
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 2:10 am

Whole Foods is from Austin and has a monopoly here that keeps Trader Joe's out, which is stupid because they really wouldn't be in competition.
What about Central Market in Austin? Why do they allow them to co-exist?Aren't they competition for Whole Foods, too?
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 2:28 am

i have never been in a whole foods, but i have been into a trader joes and really liked it. we only have wild oats market here that's comparable. kind of. i hate the drive out to east memphis though. we also have a fresh market too that is kind of like that too.

here's what i miss about cincinnati: http://www.junglejims.com/

that place ruled the universe and they have a mind-boggling selection of stuff in the HUGEST store.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 4:37 am

ok, TJ's wins
I like TJ's frozen food section lots.
good cheap (thouight i was ghonna say hos
's, didn't jah) coffee
and good prices on skin creme, I gotta go easy on
my cock, I use only 100% aloe when I wac it.
oh, and I like their can goods.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 4:43 am

Central Market is H.E.B., the largest regular grocery store chain in the area, so Whole Paycheck Foods didn't have a say about the existance of Central Market
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 5:31 am

Yeah, I'm surprised HEB hasn't kicked Whole Foods out.
After HEB completely dominates central Texas, they're going to conquer the world.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 6:06 am

Both HEB and Whore Foods are Austin originals, so I think they'll both stick around. I miss Trader Joe's!!
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 4:26 pm

HEB is great! I wish they'd come here.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 4:29 pm

New Seasons (PDX area) needs to expand everywhere in the US. They have all the "whole foods" plus regular label (aka "cheap" stuff) so you don't feel like you are in a food museum. If you need some butter that isn't imported from France, they got it. They aren't ashamed to dumb it down a bit.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 6:52 pm | Edited by: Haunted George

Trader Joes for coffee, chocolate, breakfast cereal, frozen seafood, frozen fruit, booze, dried fruit and nuts.

Stater Bros. for Beef, Chicken, Pork, Soda, fresh fruit and vegetables.

Costco for more coffee, Dog food, Cat food, Bird food, and bread.

Whole Foods for uppercrust yuppie types.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 7:32 pm

In Memphis, Easy way has tons of organically grown and locally grown stuf, and since they aren't a "health" food store, just a local produce market it's all really cheap. Plus they have amish cheese and pasta and other products like that. Even G-Kroger (ya'll know what the "g" stands for if you go there) has organic produce now and if you go to the self check out lines you can ring up loose items as the regular stuff because they have no button for the higher priced organically grown stuff. Also their section between the breads and the salads has tons of good prices on whole food items like grains and soynuts, and soy and rice milks, etc... and they have wheat pastas and in the cake/muffin mix section tons of whole food baking products, it's all affordable. Ike's a Family Dollar even have lots of enviromentaly safe cleaning products. It leads me to believe that these kind of stores like Trader Joe's and their high prices are just sorta for people that wanna pay more because they can, or that they want a prettier shopping environment.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 7:49 pm

a prettier shopping environment

which is definitely not easy-e-way
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 8:19 pm | Edited by: Haunted George

stores like Trader Joe's and their high prices are just sorta for people that wanna pay more

Trader Joe's has the cheapest beer, wine, hard liquor, cereal, whole bean coffee, nuts, dried fruit and frozen shrimp around... Their fresh fruits/vegts and meat might get a little more pricey... besides I'm worth it!
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 8:26 pm

Trader Joe's has the cheapest beer, wine, hard liquor, cereal, whole bean coffee, nuts, dried fruit and frozen shrimp around...

TJ also has great prices on eggs and milk and other dairy products.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 8:44 pm

I pick Whole Foods hands down. It's a pretty cool company and you can alway expect good quality, but if we're just talking which is better 'cause it's cheaper then of course it TJs. TJ's doesn't always have the organic stuff I prefer. I like them both, but neither is Harvest Time, the best store in the universe
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 8:58 pm

Even G-Kroger (ya'll know what the "g" stands for if you go there)

racist hat rock asshole.
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 8:13 am

yeah - i don't know who got the idea that Trader Joe's was expensive. its more than reasonable - its more than fair --- its down right CHEAP!

true, they have a kind of cheesy presentation with their hawaiian shirts and the extended metaphor of "joe" in every language on their in-house brands and their newsletter... but they are a fantastic store. some of the branches suffer from the taint of the neighborhoods they are in - and that's only if the local color rubs you the wrong way...and with LA real estate the way it is, parking is always going to suck. i think their products are top notch.

i am particularly fond of their french roast coffee (whole bean) which is $4.99 for a 12 ounce can - $4 LESS than rock n roll ralph's (which is the supermarket closest to me when i am in LA) and $2 LESS than the equivalent of the local hipster roaster

trader joe's also has their own version of oreo cookies using real ingredients (ie: no transfats or high fructose crap) with candy cane peppermint filling. my latest sweet tooth craving

whole foods as a gourmet market is not bad if you have the money. the organic veneer of the store as a whole is just marketing and i think plenty of people see through it. i despise their clientele however, and the staff at the whole foods that was my corner store all last spring/summer complained that the employee culture really truly sucked - but this being LA - the deli man was really an audio engineer out of work. that's the LA thing... whole foods Quinoa Cakes are one of my favorite food items ever. bottom line with whole foods is that they are way more expensive than they need to be.
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 10:51 am

don't peeps in la go to the grocery store to see celebs or pick up hot sex action?
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 10:53 pm

i think celebs in LA go to the grocery store to be seen
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 11:02 pm

hat rock

ha!
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 11:22 pm

I feel weird buying produce from TJ's; I don't like it being packaged up all like a steak. It feels like I am buying wax fruit.
Posted: Jan 20, 2007 1:42 am

Even G-Kroger (ya'll know what the "g" stands for if you go there)

racist hat rock asshole.

That's not racist...it's classist!

It's also my hood and I love to see a big beautiful black women in a blonde wig and leopard print lengarie, plus rotweiller slippers on sunday morning. I also happen to love the amazing assortment of pig parts AND the fact my bank in there is open until 7 pm.
Posted: Jan 20, 2007 1:59 am

rotweiller slippers

fuck bunny slippers! i need me some rottweiler slippers, stat!
Posted: Jan 20, 2007 2:19 am

No kidding--maybe TJ's needs have a "G" version for Memphis etc. All the stud cashiers can have bejeweled grills and rottweiler slippers.
Posted: Jan 20, 2007 4:13 am

don't like it being packaged up
I had that problem too, but I got over it.

Best place to get good prices on ripe fruit and veg is a Chinatown.
Posted: Jan 20, 2007 7:15 pm

just to clear it up g meas ghetto, not gangsta. sadly enough, it is definitely not gangsta.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®