Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / How d'you make booze?
Posted: Jan 13, 2007 9:51 pm

I've run out.

Something to do with potatoes and a barrel?
Posted: Jan 13, 2007 10:04 pm

make some prison wine aka pruno. fruit, sugar, and ketchup.
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 4:02 am

The best cheap high is as follows:

Port Fizzy Supreme

1 btl. Gallo White Port
1 btl. Robotussin DM
2 Alka Seltzers

Drink the equivalent discplacement of bottle of Robo out of the bottle of White Port. Drop in Alka's and screw down cap. Wait 30 seconds. Enjoy.

I know the Robo costs a bit but it is perfectly shop-liftable.
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 8:10 am

I goes to Mike's Beer and Liquor Barn down the street with a few drunk 22 year old gurlz and axe: "whiskey or vodka?" On the capitalist tip, dawg.
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 12:05 pm

Potatoes? Nah. They are starch- yeast eats sugar, pisses out alcohol & farts out carbon dioxide.
Sugar, water, turbo yeast, and a still to start with. And then some flavouring- make your 80 proof raw alcohol taste like bourbon or whatever. Takes about a week, tastes awful.
The reason prisoners drink pruno and raisin wine is because that's all they can get.
I make a fair bit of beer & cider- I keep meaning to freeze-distil some cider down to applejack, but have never got around to it.
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 7:21 pm

whass the diff 'tween cider aqnd apple jack?
Posted: Jan 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Cider is fermented apple juice, apple jack is distilled cider.
What you need to do is brew up about 15 litres of apple juice into cider with some brown sugar & yeast, then put buckets full of it in the freezer. The water freezes first, the alcohol freezes last. So after 24 hours or so there should be a thick ring of ice, with a slushy core. Then you take that and sit it in a big funnel over another bucket, and let it melt. The alcohol defrosts first, so after a few hours you end up with concentrated cider and a big chunk of ice. Throw away the ice, bottle the rest and leave it for a while. That's applejack,
My brother & I were going to do it at a restaurant he worked at, that had huge freezers, but they closed down.
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 3:07 am

If you want instructions on how to build yer own still, I'd be happy to help ya.
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 3:51 am

Can you buy them off the shelf anywhere in the States?
We can- see this link.
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 11:21 pm

Kinda. The distillation setup I ran was all glass. You can buy glassware here legally, however, if you get caught with the stuff, don't be suprised if they don't try and bust you for running a meth lab.

You can build a ghetto still too that'll the same thing for alot cheaper, and it's easier to do much larger distillations with a ghetto rig, since glass gets really expensive really quick when you start buying bigger flasks... it's also probably not a good idea to try and buy large pieces of glassware if you don't want to attract the attention of the DEA.

You can't really legally "buy" a still though. I don't remember what the laws are exactly, but distilling alchohol is illegal. I think their might possibly be an exemption if you're distilling "gasahol," but don't quote me on it.
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 11:25 pm

i think it is a state by state basis. i believe in arkansas you can make enough for personal use. it's kinda like the marihuana laws in some places (like eureka springs, ar).
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 12:17 am

No, that's completely wrong. It's a federal law for sure. Distilling alchohol for human consumption is tax evasion and very much illegal no matter where you are.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 12:25 am

I think it's actually illegal here too- the homebrew shops sell those stills for distilling water, or aromatherapy oils, or something.
Like the bong shops sell all those "ornamental vases"
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 12:30 am

Distilling water is actually pretty dangerous. A friend of mine literally burned his face off trying to distill water because he was too cheap to pay for the stuff from the grocery store. You don't cut corners with chemistry.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 12:32 am

Although home distillation of ethanol for commercial purposes is still illegal in the United States, legislation was introduced [3] in November of 2001 to legalize home distillation in much the same way as home brewing of wine and beer were legalized in 1978. This bill had a single sponsor and did not make it out of the committee. Despite the illegal status, home distillation is growing in popularity in the U.S. with ready availability of instructions, materials and support.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 1:02 am

I see pot being decriminalized before I see home distillation of ethanol becoming legal.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 1:05 am

I see pot being decriminalized before I see home distillation of ethanol becoming legal.

why? b/c of the danger?
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 1:07 am | Edited by: propane propane ape

decriminalizing pot would make money for the govt. legalizing home distillation of ethanol would lose them money. always follow the money, its the only thing that matters. the rest of politics is just a big dog and pony show.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 1:10 am

i dont know. i dont see a lot of folks clamoring to make some vodka or whatever. or enough that it would make that big of a dent in taxes. besides, isnt it usually more expensive to make your own ie beer than go buy some at the store. you gotta buy all that goods to go in it and pay taxes on that.

i'm talking out my ass though so i dont know.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 1:42 am

making beer is already legal.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 1:45 am

yea i know. my stepdad used to brew some nastyass beer.

so whats the legalsitic difference in brewing beer and distilling alcohol?
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 1:47 am

theyre 2 completely different things. i guess you already said the difference, one is legal and you pay taxes on it. the other is illegal and you dont.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 1:48 am

liquor is distilled, maybe thats the difference?
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 1:58 am

(like eureka springs, ar).

I've been there! Didn't know they had the laws for the mary jane, though.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 1:58 am

so whats the legalsitic difference in brewing beer and distilling alcohol?
The amount of tax the government loses is based on the alcohol content. So they treat spirits very differently to beer.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:01 am | Edited by: T J Honeysuckle

besides, isnt it usually more expensive to make your own ie beer than go buy some at the store. you gotta buy all that goods to go in it and pay taxes on that.

Yeah, but you only have to buy it once, and use it as often as you want. I've probably spent A$200 or so on equipment- though a lot of that was on ebay, so the stuff was cheap- and have used it for three years now.
Buying malt/sugar/yeast/hops is not expensive.
12 x 800ml botttles of Coopers (1 case) from the store= $30 or so.
30 x 800ml bottles Coopers (1 batch) made by me= $15 or so, and some time & effort.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:02 am

When did that happen? I never did it myself, but I seem to remember specialty "homebrew" shops opening up around town, where you could buy hops and all that?
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:03 am

The propane ape post up there sez 1978...you were probably too young to notice.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:05 am

PROPANE PROPANE
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:07 am

Nah, can't be. There was one of those shops open not too far from me just a few years ago. I never went, but it was there.

you were probably too young to notice.
Actully, that would be around the first time my dad gave me an 8oz. Budweiser of my own to drink during a football game.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:08 am

In the US, when prohibition was repealed with the 21st Amendment, home wine-making was legalised. Homebrewing of beer should have also been legalised at this time, but a clerical error omitted the words "and/or beer" from the document which was eventually passed into law. Thus, the home-brewing of beer remained illegal for several decades.

In November 1978, Congress passed a bill repealing Federal restrictions on the homebrewing of small amounts of beer. Jimmy Carter, 39th President of the United States, signed the bill into law in February 1979, and many states soon followed suit. However, this bill left individual states free to pass their own laws limiting production.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:09 am

it was a 12 oz, he just took the first chug.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:15 am

Propane ape has wikipedia bookmarked...
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:17 am

(like eureka springs, ar).

I've been there! Didn't know they had the laws for the mary jane, though.

they just passed it in november. that is a weird lil town. i believe the law says under an oz they will let you go. eureka is a town full of old hippies and gays. during the nontourist season winter/spring is it really a cool little place. a very libertarian type place. cus you also have all these black helicopter anti u.n. type militia dudes in the woods around in the county.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:23 am

my name is propane propane ape, not Propane ape.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:23 am

Yeah, it is weird. They promote this hippie notion, good-vibes, share the love of the latte type-deal, but the capatalist in them is still going to charge you $65 hand-crafted earthen-ware coffee mug. It's his "art", man.
Side note, they were in the Guinness World Record book for a while for having the most outdoor stair steps, or something.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:27 am

Sorry, propane ape ape.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:29 am

the most outdoor stair steps, or something.

fuck yea! its all built on hillsides!

and since this the booze thread i have to say the only thing i ever did every time there was get really drunk etc with some weird ass hippies who use outhouses and grow bluberries and georgebush for a living.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:44 am

Sorry, propane ape ape.
you wanna take this outside, dick tree?
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:46 am

dont fuck with me... i might EXPLODE!!!
propane, propane...
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:53 am

the main ingredient in homemade booze is propane propane
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:54 am

Could've been worse, I could have called you butane baboon, or methane monkey.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:56 am

hahaha actually those are better@!
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 2:59 am

Feel free to use them if you ever decide, for god knows what reason, you might want to use multiple names on a message board.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 4:08 am

One big difference between home brewing beer and distilling alchohol is that you never have to worry about burning your house down. That's got little, if anything to do with why it is illegal however. It does have everything to do with tax money. Making ethanol is a whole lot cheaper than making beer. You can make ethanol with a still, some yeast, sugar and water. There is a whole lot more money at stake than you'd probably imagine.
Posted: Jan 16, 2007 4:44 am

Feel free to use them if you ever decide, for god knows what reason, you might want to use multiple names on a message board.
propane propane!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®