Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / What makes punk "Punk!"?
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 8:54 pm

I've only listened to a few punk bands and was curious as to why it's called punk, and what makes it that way. I really like the Clash and the Ramones. Am just getting into Iggy Pop and the Misfits. Kinda like the Sex Pistols. But I'm sure theres so many more I've never heard of. I had a New York Dolls CD but it didn't work properly. I've heard that the Pixies are punk, but I don't really consider them to be.

So, in your opinion, what is punk and what makes it that way? I've noticed that the Ramones don't seem to take themselves very seriously. "Gabba gabba hey!" & "Hey-ho, lets go!" is only a bit of their sound but it's hard for me to take it too seriouly. I like it, but I always thought that punk was supposed to address the social concerns of the band, or am I off? I've also noticed a tone that is consistent, for the most part, in the singing style. Don't know what you all think, but I'd like to.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 8:58 pm

Ashton Kutcher
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 8:59 pm

I've also noticed a tone that is consistent, for the most part, in the singing style.

yer funny !
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 9:01 pm

Yes is punk as fuck.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 9:07 pm

What makes punk "Punk!"?

We're all dying to know.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 9:14 pm

Uhhh, please write. Please, please, pleeeaase rant. C'mon. But not if your very against it... Wish you would...seriously. I don't blame you; it's pretty hard for me to explain why I think this band here - put a rock band here - isn't heavy metal and why I believe that another one is.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 9:24 pm

def spiked belts & leather jackets...OH and mohawks.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 9:25 pm

punk is a social group
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 9:29 pm

(FLAPFLAPFLAP)
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 9:31 pm

pegged pants & unprotected sex
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 9:31 pm | Edited by: the governator

YOU WILL FEEL THE WRATH OF OUR OUTERSPACE WAYS
www.governator.com
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 9:40 pm

i use the poststructuralist dialectic perspective to determine the outcome of your question. or we can take a diagnostic measurment, using a predictable schematic analyzer, of the the three chord structure and the seamless integration of the polychronistic time that is kept by the drummer and a modular framework can be developed for ascertaining what makes punk "punk".

of course an unmaskable addressing matrix will be needed to prevent troubles in the analysis. songs can then be placed on an configurable double-precision server on as needed basis.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 10:10 pm

theres drunk punx and political punks. political punk is for fags. kapeesh?
punk magazine started and got the term from william burroughs, who thought it just meant guys who "take it up the ass"
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 11:14 pm

Writing songs about pizza is serious buisiness. Some of those political bands come off far dumber than any straight up fun band writing about real issues - such as pizza.
Posted: Jan 8, 2007 11:38 pm

the dils
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 1:48 am

Wasn't Lenny Kaye one of the first to apply it to music in the Nuggets liner notes? That's a pretty good introduction to punk right there.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 2:22 am

I really like the Clash and the Ramones. Am just getting into Iggy Pop and the Misfits. Kinda like the Sex Pistols. But I'm sure theres so many more I've never heard of.

Nope, just those five.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 2:30 am

No no no...you forgot the Action Swingers, donkeytaint.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 2:45 am

the dils

YEAH!

No no no...you forgot the Action Swingers, donkeytaint.

Action Swingers are DEAD! The Wrong Numbers RULE! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 2:48 am

Let's hear how alive the wrong numbers are...No really, Lets hear it. It's punk rock right? So, what are you waiting for Bob Rock and Rick Rubin to produce it? Get some shit recorded and/or put it on myspace or you're not even born yet.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 2:49 am

Hee to the mutha fuckin haw, mutha fucka.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:31 am

We wrote and recorded our first song today.
http://www.myspace.com/theeratlines
The Wrong Numbers sounds like a bunch of faggots.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:37 am

You guys sound pretty awesome but we're way more pissed off than you. I know art but I ain't gotta be an art fag to prove it.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:38 am

I'd like to comment on how you guys sound but apparently you are unable to work a cassette deck.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:49 am | Edited by: Thee Ratlines

Your no playing make believe band could never match thee intensity of my guitar lead on "Propane, Propane".
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 5:34 am

Not being a fuckin' cop is punk.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 6:43 am

Prison
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:25 pm

Your no playing make believe band could never match thee intensity of my guitar lead on "Propane, Propane".

We've already recorded a song, dim wit. It's coming out on 7" vinyl. No gay digi previews.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 3:53 pm

You're a gay digi preview.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 4:00 pm

Fuck no I'm not.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 5:02 pm

he can't even write a b-side.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 5:11 pm

I'm workin' on it I tell ya.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 5:12 pm

pffft.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 5:19 pm

And it's gonna be a double A-Side anyway.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 6:00 pm | Edited by: David Scott Bell

I have 2 Cramps CDs: Fiends of Dope Island and Bad Music for bad people. So far I think the Cramps are better than the Misfits. I'm definitely going to get more Cramps CDs.

Is Joan Jett punk?
I always felt that Bad Reputation was really punkish - along with I love RocknRoll. And the Runaways is definately on my list of "to gets"...has been for some time now, I'd of had to put 'em there if they weren't already 'cause I've been really wanting to get something by them.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 6:02 pm

I read that the B-52's are post punk, or something like that. Is that true, do you think they've got a punk vibe. I listened to them and think that they sorta sound punky.
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 6:09 pm

Bad Reputation

punkish

HAHAHA!!!
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 6:17 pm

I'm workin' on it I tell ya.

HAHAHA!!!
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 7:25 pm

Sum 41 is punk
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 7:30 pm

I Googled David Scott Bell and came arcoss these guys:
http://www.bell-knapp.com/

Is Gay Marriage Punk?
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 8:24 pm

I invented punk rock ....Well thats what the Black Lips say
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 8:30 pm

The Black Lips are only smart when they're making music. You've heard them speak, right?
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 9:41 pm

And it's gonna be a double A-Side anyway.
you can write double a sides all day and theyll never match thee raveup in "propane, propane".
Posted: Jan 9, 2007 10:17 pm

Posted: Jan 10, 2007 1:00 am

I invented punk rock

i would say you revitalized it, for damn sure
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 1:37 am

punk rock is like...

about not giving a fuck
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 1:47 am

propane, propane...
Posted: Jan 10, 2007 5:30 pm

If you find it in the import section of the record store.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 1:50 am

Punk music is Punk because it is music that your parents would hate(and most other people who like commercial sell out crap). It depends on the generation of rock. In the 1950's The Johnny Burnette Trio were the first punks. ( Sam Phillips would not sign them) The Cramps took it to another level in the 1970's. As far as today's music, I like the Strokes. And the Ramones had the perfect attitude. Sid Vicious rules!!!!
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 1:58 am

yeah the strokes are really punk
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 3:10 am

Whattaya expect with a name like hellokitty?
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 10:30 pm

who are you? Ziggy Stardust? I said I like the Strokes. Betcha don't even know who the Johnny Burnette trio is anyway!
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 11:02 pm

who are you? Ziggy Stardust?

I don't know what this means, but I do think it is really funny.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 11:45 pm

The British invented punk in the late 70s you know-nothing know-it-alls.

Brad, I'll give you $4 for that record at the next Bad Samaritans practice.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 11:47 pm

real punks live on their parents' couches. oh wait, that's real losers. sorry, kevin.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 11:48 pm

No one's mentioned MRR?? If they don't like it, it ain't punk. End of story. And if you think otherwise, you will be ostracized from the scene.
Posted: Jan 11, 2007 11:54 pm

fat losers in shorts are a big part of what killed punk rock. so is mrr.
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 9:01 pm

I'd say that "Punk" is a mixture of style, attitude and musical style. Any or several of the following could mark a person/band as punk. Probably, it's best to have a combination of at least 3 of these to avoid being considered a poser.

1. Music with an exuberant, youthful energy. Usually guitar driven.

2. Simple song structures, often chorus heavy.

3. Rough instrumentation. The songs come off like rough cuts or even slightly unprofessional at times. (Leonard Cohen is probably among the least punk musicians in the world, yet his album Death of a Ladies' Man was embraced by the punk movement, in large part, I think, due to the fact that it jumps from style to style (50's doo-wop, country, love ballad, rock) leaving each style slightly fractured. Slightly harder and darker than what is traditional. To me, this is a punk hallmark.)

4. Punk fashions, such as hair dyed in wild colors and styled in spikes, mohawks etc. Denim & leather mixed clothing. Pins & buttons. Piercings. Etc. (This is the most superficial level, an often imitated aspect adopted by many posers, unnecessary and can largely be ignored.)

5. A generally rebellious attitude in both behavior and song writing. This can manifest as:
A. Political awareness and activism or
B. A general rebellious, perhaps criminal, degeneracy. An attitude generally of "Fuck you" especially if mixed with a sense of fatalism. "Fuck the world. Nothing matters."
C. A generally transgressive attitude in life and particularly art. A desire to break the rules and boundaries of genre. An artistic effort to change what is viewed as possible or acceptable either in art or society or both.
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 9:04 pm

No it's not.
Posted: Jan 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Betcha don't even know who the Johnny Burnette trio is anyway!

You mean the Rock-N-Roll trio don'tcha?
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 5:04 pm

Thanks for your comment Golightly; you are right but you know what I meant. It was so sad when Paul Burlison died. Most of Memphis never knew what a treasure the Rock-n-Roll Trio were....And Wolverine, you really hit the nail on the head!... and Dirk- Paul had gotten older and was wearing shorts in that pix, buy they were the original punks and influenced so many bands.. The Panther Burns wouldn't have had Train Kepta Rollin without them. There is nothing wrong with living on a parents
couch if one must! More time to rock and not go to a stupid job!
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 5:11 pm

ooops sorry, I thought tou meant the pix of the Rock-n-Roll Trio
Posted: Jan 15, 2007 8:05 pm

punk is a new york city thing. it's no coincidence that the rock an roll trio recorded all their best stuff in nyc. didn't paul burlison's amp fall on the way to new york too??? the rock an roll trio rule!!!
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 3:32 pm

So that's where he got that cool sounding buzz in his amp! I'd always heard a story about a famous hole somewhere in his amp! And yeah, I believe they were first signed in New York as well.
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 3:54 pm

i fell off the wagon on my way to new york too

pArty with me pUnKeR!!!
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 5:06 pm

link wray punched the holes in his speaker. paul burlison's amp fell offa the top of their car an a tube came loose. when he plugged it in it was all fuzzy. (okay now goliedown an all the other knowitall asholes can shoot down this story too.)
Posted: Jan 18, 2007 5:26 pm

They were standing outside of a Subway, eating fresh, when all of a sudden Jared came out. This was before the famous diet, and Paul pointed and yelled with his mouth half full, "HEY, LOOK AT THAT FAT ASS!!!"
And then he put his arms in the air and waved them around, going "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!".
At that very instant, he got his pinky stuck in the 1/4 inch jack in the amp, and he was all, like, "Hey get this thing offa me!" and he shook his hands violently, until the amp dropped off and fell to the ground.

And that's how Columbus discovered America.
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 11:29 pm

Being a "punk"means you're willing to take a big ole dick in your ass back in the Captian's cabin, and don't you faggots forget it!
Posted: Jan 19, 2007 11:43 pm

If you want a punk reading experience, try The Boy Looked At Johnny. I re-read it recently - hilarious! Even if they do think the Brits invented punk.
Posted: Jan 20, 2007 4:51 am

Michael Bateman is a semi-genius.
Posted: Jan 20, 2007 6:31 am

punk is retiring
AARP AND THE BUZZCOCKS TOLD ME SO
Posted: Jan 20, 2007 8:07 am

I haven't heard that story about the Rock 'n' Roll trio, but I do know the story about Willie Kizart's amp falling out of a car on the way to Memphis and recording "Rocket 88" for Sun.
Posted: Jan 21, 2007 9:02 pm

okay now goliedown an all the other knowitall asholes can shoot down this story too.)

Jesus Ned......the story is pretty much as you described....not sure if it fell offa chair or the car....but did you have to call me a know it all asshole?

It's true I've probably forgotten more than you know but I'm older....quit totin' around all that hate....you'll live longer....take it from a geezer who knows...I mean.....Sean Lennon comes to YOUR gigs ....not mine...
Posted: Jan 21, 2007 9:08 pm

ps....you're right about the Rock n Roll trio rules....and to toot my own horn a little it was my band the Beat Cowboys that coaxed Paul out of musical retirement....got him to come to a gig at the Antenna and he dug it....next time he brought his Tele and we played Tear it up and Train kept a rollin'and once he shook the rust off, he was amazing. Damned proud to say Paul was a friend of mine. Seeing him in that casket almost did me in.
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 8:12 pm

You ain't no punk you punk
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®