Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Secrets to get over a cold???
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 10:09 pm

JUST in time for the holidays, I have a nasty cold including a sore throat. Tips? I will entertain hippie homeopathic cures, so don't be afraid. I already took some Bach's Rescue remedy this AM and that helped me chill out a bit, but my throat and sinuses are killing me.
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 10:12 pm

Whiskey. And lemon.
And maybe some honey.
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 10:13 pm

And warmed.
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 10:15 pm

If you can make it down to Memphis, I'll let you sit under my copper pyramid in the backyard.
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 10:19 pm

I hate whiskey!!!!!

Hollis was deep into the Hot Toddy when he first got sick. I am drinking tea; I wanna bet better in time to get drunk on xmas eve.

I should start a fire but I barely have enough energy to go heat up water for tea.
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 10:24 pm

You can't cure a cold, just alleviate the symptoms. It just has to go away by itself.

And why are you waiting until xmas eve to get drunk? Apparently, in Britain the Friday before Christmas is the busiest day of the year for emergency services, because everybody gets trashed then they fall over and hurt themselves. Of course, most of them get the entire next week off to recover or continue where they left off when they get out of hospital.
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 10:26 pm

If it's a nagging cold, hard likkker's the way to go. And you have to get a good buzz on, too - a little doesn't do anything. Too much makes you feel worse.
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 10:39 pm

sudafed non-drowsy during the day, whisky and water at night
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 10:41 pm

So for the over the counter shit--Sudafed is better than Tylenol cold n sinus? I need a quick answer as I am sending Hollis out.

Hmmm. What makes whiskey better than vodka for being curative/symptom relieving?
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 10:42 pm

ok, I got this stuff called "No Time For Colds" it guaranteed, and it works.
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 11:06 pm

I've been drinking and smoking constantly for the past two weeks. Every single person at work and at home is sick. I am not. But I am afraid to stop for fear of the ass-whipping mother nature has in store for me.

So, I endorse hard living as a preventive measure. Not sure if it is also a curative.
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 11:08 pm

The old axiom for colds is: "Without medication, most colds will last a week. With medication, they generally last seven days."
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 2:19 am

Whisky, whisky, whisky, and more whisky. Or, several beers, until symptoms are gone. That is all.

BUT, do you have this stuff called Zicam where you're at? I swear to god it's a miracle. It definitely lessens the symptoms and shortens the timeframe. One of those herbal supplement things, and it comes in a million different variations, like mouth spray, melting tabs, fizzy drink, etc. Pick your lesser evil.

I use tylenol cold and sinus to help with symptoms. There's a daytime/nightime combo you can get to pick you up and knock you out. Good luck!
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 2:39 am

Yeah they definitely have Zicam. Hollis did indeed pick up the Day/Night combo that you speak of!!! I am on some days now and as soon as I eat my palak paneer, I am taking some night and hoping I get some semblance of a high effect. I can't drink alcohol yet. It will just make we crave cigarettes and I have made it over one week today.
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 2:45 am

this stuff called Zicam

People are suing the makers of this stuff cause people are having permanant taste and smell loss. I used this stuff, then someone told me about the lawsuits!!! BE CAREFUL unless you never want to smell or taste wonderful food ever again!
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 3:13 am

sucrets
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 6:26 pm

I am gettign some Zicam today--I am hoping that a one time use doesn't ruin my senses forever. I have to get better. We are hosting a fucking dinner party for god's sake! I can't be sneezing all over the table.
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 6:34 pm

long hot showers (to loosen the snot)
lots of sleep w/ Nyquil
much vitamin c
pop like 3-4 Motrins at a time a couple times a day.
If you can get your hands on an Inhaler (asthma) those rule!
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 6:45 pm

get yourself some airbourne tablets

that stuff works miracles.
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 6:47 pm

We are getting an humidifier to use for a month and then returning it like the buncha low class people that we are.

Thanks for the tips--I am headed for the Motrin and Vit C right now.
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 8:43 pm

I've used zicam a bunch of times, still got all my senses. I've never had luck with airborne, plus you have to drink it which is really gross to me unless it's theraflu... but they do have pink grapefruit now, which is better tasting.
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 10:03 pm

I've used zicam a bunch of times, still got all my senses.
A lot of women took thalidamide and didn't have flipper babies, too. Lula Pee, you are a-gamblin' like Kenny Rogers!
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 10:07 pm

Throw me in with her. I'll be her Kim Carnes cos I am desperate.
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Theraflu has saved my life this past week. Sleep with a bunch of pillows to elevate your head, that way all the boogers won't pool in your lungs while you're sleeping and make you feel unnecessarily shittier upon waking. Yesterday was the worst I've felt in a long time, but I was able to make it to a cocktail party thanks to Theraflu and Dayquil. I even smoked without problems!
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 10:29 pm

OK, the thought of smoking sends me into a tizzy. I am about to get some Zicam and I have been doing Tylenol Cold which works good for a couple of hours. Theraflu makes me feel really high and not in a good way as far as socializing goes.

I really hope that this is the worst day with this. I haven't been this sick in awhile. I have been all in love with Portland for about two weeks but now I am going to have to give it the gas face for all its damp cold.
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 10:45 pm

Theraflu on it's OWN makes me feel really high, too. But if you take a couple Dayquils with it it keeps you awake and makes you way less cuckoo
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 11:25 pm

Um, Zicam is some nasty shit! I just took one of the "RapidMelts", cherry flavor. You can't drink for 15 minutes either. Ugh. I will keep you posted, Lula, on my symptoms or if I lose my sense of taste.
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 11:28 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Try that stuff some teacher made. I hear ads for it on the right wing hate radio I listen to all the time.

http://www.airbornehealth.com/

I had a weird 12 hour flu on a trip to New Orleans early in the month, and after some rest I felt fine for the rest of my trip. Hopefully you may have one of those. My friend had the same bug, but she was sick for over a week. Hopefully, that won't be you.
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 11:37 pm

Um, Zicam is some nasty shit!

I love taking Zicam. I shoot it up my nose and then, 2 minutes later I'm like sweet fucking jesus, what have I done? I usually end up laughing really hard because it's the most painful thing I have ever done (and continue to do?!?!) to myself on purpose. Ridiculous.

Dude, just drink a bottle of Robotussin DM and put on some Bardo Pond or something.
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 11:42 pm

tomatoes
green peppers
red peppers
yellow peppers

no sugar

lemon theraflu mixed with sleepytime tea right before bed, no honey (gonna hafta trust me)
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 11:54 pm

If only I had some DM. I have actually considered taking more of the Tylenol than it calls for just to get a little DMified.

I saw some girl on Dr. Phil who "can't start her day" without drinking half a bottle of robotussin!!!!!
Posted: Dec 23, 2006 11:57 pm

RapidMelts

Ew I should've warned you!! I use the oral spray, which isn't tasty, but not nearly as bad as the melts. Nick had the brilliant idea to try the melts and he's been regretting it ever since. He can't taste a thing!! Whoops! kidding...

flipper babies

my kinda baby!
Posted: Dec 24, 2006 12:23 am

OK, one hour in and I have broken a fever and can breathe a bit better. I also have the humidfier going which helps (the heat in here is so dry it sucks).
Posted: Dec 25, 2006 1:12 am

ZICAM RULES!
I am not even close to 100% (more like 75%), but it definitely lessens the symptoms and clears the head. I am enjoying my first drink. YAY!
Posted: Dec 25, 2006 2:30 am

Zicam definitely rules! Glad you're feeling better!
Posted: Dec 25, 2006 3:01 am

I'm ready to drink too.
Posted: Dec 25, 2006 7:06 am

I am way drunk and only on the computer to avoid the smokers scene on my porch. This sucks!!!!!
Posted: Dec 25, 2006 9:29 am

Down a full bottle of tuss. You'll be hackin' up phlegm or days, but yer cough will be gone.
Posted: Dec 25, 2006 9:40 am

Yeah, try this.
Posted: Dec 25, 2006 9:41 am

If anybody should know, it would be Chris.
Posted: Dec 25, 2006 3:55 pm | Edited by: indiepop

there's an oft-overlooked herb called astragalus which helps boost the immune system through the winter months. its pretty miraculous shit, i highly recommend taking the powdered capsules four times a day until you get to feeling better. maggie's pharm sells them for ten cents a piece.`
Posted: Dec 25, 2006 3:55 pm

You may or may not know this, but heroin is also a cough suppressant. However, it doesn't seem to be as effective as DXM (tussin) in that department.
Posted: Dec 25, 2006 3:56 pm

yella-yella is yo best friend
Posted: Dec 25, 2006 4:19 pm

fuck all the modern treatments. check out fr. sebastian kneipp's book called "my water-cure". he was a german preist in the late 1800s that treated everything from erispelas, various vapours, dropsy, bloody flux and blood vomiting, apolexy, giddiness, piles, saint vitus's dance, sciatica, tetters, etc. basically what ever victorian era krauts were stricken down with.
Posted: Dec 29, 2006 6:31 pm | Edited by: red eyed willie

"If you can make it down to Memphis, I'll let you sit under my copper pyramid in the backyard."

Ha! I used to rent a house from this guy in Vegas who's father wrote a famous book on Blackjack, and he had one of those pyramids over part of his backyard pool.
Posted: Dec 29, 2006 6:33 pm

I had a friend that worked at a New Age bookstore in the early '90s.
They had a huge one set up in the back. Creepy-ass clientele...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®