Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Talking your way out of overdraft charges
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:26 pm

Never have any luck with this, even with legit excuses. I'll definitely need to do this tomorrow. Bank account's looking extra-raped this morning. Suggestions? My bank is notoriously rigid with this shit, so I'm probably going to have to eat the hundreds of dollars of fees incurred.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:29 pm

It's all about keeping them on the phone line as long as possible and randomly throwing out confusing, conflicting and totally irrelevant information.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:30 pm | Edited by: mrlastname

Christ, is it standard for banks to hold a check that was deposited on Friday afternoon until Tuesday morning? I've had it with these fucks.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:33 pm

The best trick they pulled was lowering my credit limit while I was in the midst of paying off my bank-owned credit card. Literally, two weeks before I was about to pay it off, they lowered the limit to some ridiculously small amount, thereby throwing all sorts of overages at me. I retaliated by not paying them for months. Which was really smart. I'm turning into a crotchety old man but these people are really making me angry.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:35 pm

don't give up, especially if your excuse is legit.
it's happened to me a couple of times, and i always get the fees reversed.
first try over the phone, and if that doesn't work, go into your bank branch and talk to someone.
on one occasion, i did both, and both the phone rep and bank rep reversed the fee, so i actually ended up making $30.00 on the ordeal, and they didn't catch it.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:38 pm

if you have chase, you are screwed. they have the worst service I've encountered.

I have usually been able to talk my way out of credit card late fees, but generally I find banks treat you like a common thief unless you have thousands of dollars in your accounts.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:39 pm

ask for a one-time "courtesy credit".
if you aren't a complete jerk, and just keep politely asking, they'll give in.
if you aren't consistenly overdrawn, they'll give you one or two a year.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:39 pm

One disadvantage I may have here is that I've screamed, cussed at and hung up on bank reps several times for similar reasons. If they record that sorta information, I'm not so sure going into the bank is going to cave on this. But I'll give it a try.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:41 pm

It's not Chase, it's US Bank. My friends who have Chase say they have better luck than I ever have.

My excuse here is definitely legit (direct deposit confusion with new job), but I still don't see things working in my favor.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:45 pm | Edited by: tim

the times it has happened to me have been as a result of direct deposit transactions.
my direct deposit is supposed to go in the night before payday, and the bank first subtracted any debits before crediting the direct deposit.
they'll reverse those overdraft fees.
but if it's a screw up on your company's fault, they might not.
if it's your company's fault, did you mention it to them?
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:46 pm

I had this happen, I had a rent check that didn't go through, and I thought it had gone through weekes before. I went down to the nearest branch by where I work. The guy I talked with was really cool, and got all the charges taken off, close to $200 in charges, I ended up paying $30 in charges which was much better than the alternative. He put overdraft protection on my account, which charges me a $7 fee per overcharge fee instead of $30 charge, and puts whatever amount from a credit card to cover whatever the amount is in my checking.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:50 pm

I can't beleive it costs $30 bucks. That seems really high, especially with banking becoming so automated.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:52 pm

just be calm, patient and nice at ALL times......whenever this happenes to me, I've gotten the fees cut in half...never totally taken off, but i've never tried going into my bank either. If this is the first time you've done this in a while, it should be OK.

my mom is the QUEEN at this....i can't tell you the deals she's gotten just by calling when she thought she was overcharged, "been had" by her cell phone co, etc......she ended up getting a better deal on her cable when the original "special offer" expired and she was pissed because all of a sudden she was being charged the normal price......it's insane....but she's always really sweet.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:30 pm

I had to deal with this with Bank of America recently when it really wasn't my fault (they ate up MBNA and when I switched my online billpay at my bank, the bank got "confused" and forgot to send out my payment!). The person answering immediately bristled and was a complete bitch, expecting me to come at her full-throttle when I had already predetermined to be very nice.

Needless to say, this reaction made me go for her throat. I reeled myself in and finally got her to remove it completely with a bunch of "laughs" and "I know this isn't YOUR fault..."'s.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:53 pm

they lowered the limit to some ridiculously small amount, thereby throwing all sorts of overages at me.

I'm pretty sure this is illegal now. If you got the fees because THEY held the deposit, you can usually get the fees removed.

One disadvantage I may have here is that I've screamed, cussed at and hung up on bank reps several times for similar reasons. If they record that sorta information, I'm not so sure going into the bank is going to cave on this.

They totally record this stuff, dude.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 5:32 pm

I have had this problem with chase countless times. The best results I have had were going into the bank speaking with the branch manager and then calling them to follow up several times. Generally a pain, and only 50% sucessful. Last time it happened, I was on the phone for awhile, pretty much sobbing and threatening to sue the bank. At first they were like, "you should not even have a check card. we are going to cancel it." and the end they took away half the charges and gave me a credit card. You should try sobbing uncontrollably and making idle threats.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 5:45 pm

Did I mention that my credit is horrible? The odds are continuing to pile against me.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 6:20 pm

direct deposit confusion with new job

show your job and make them pay fees if its related to their fuckup. thats happend to me a few times. and its best to go talk to someone at a branch. don't eat for a few days then go in.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:02 pm

I used to like to do it in person. Like at 5:00 on Thursday or Friday when it's real busy. Try it nice at first. Then, if they are giving you some jibba-jabba, raise your voice, and turn questions back at them like "so what you are saying is you are correct, and that I am wrong, so obviously you are stating that I am a liar? Is that what you are saying?" Then ask for a supervisor. If that doesn't do it, and they say they "are the manager", then ask "Ok then, who is in charge of you? Who hands you your paycheck? That is the person I want to talk to." Usually they want to retain a nice, clean image in front of all those people, and they will buckle. Always look them in the eyes, too. And make sure you know how long you have been a member there, so you can toss out the ol' "I can;t believe you treat loyal customers who have been coming here for ___ years like this..."
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:03 pm

Yeah US Bank sucks for that shit. I got them to cut mine in half ONCE, but it was the first time I'd overdrafted and I had like $300 in fees and it was near the holidays, so I told them I wasn't going to be able to buy presents and stuff. Maybe you should try that one...maybe throw in something about a little sister with cancer.
You should get overdraft protection. They have one where you just have to keep some money in a savings account, and as long as there's enough in there to cover your overdrafts, you only get charged $5 each time.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:13 pm

Eric, I have Chase and have gotten out of 100.00 in overdraft fees. My suggestion is to go into a branch. Either the one on Milwaukee near California or the one at Milwaukee/Division/Ashland. Both of the branch managers are "reletively" nice guys. They have the ability to override fees and i think in person it may be harder to say no. If you don't go insane on them and claim that you had no idea you could get overdraft protection and then sign up for it they may take some of them away. Also if you have a half-way logical excuse...like depositing a check that doesnt go through for 4 days and then the pile the fees on top of each other when you actually DIDNT over draw you might be able to talk your way out of it.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:20 pm

Lisa, thanks for the tip. But I have US Bank, not Chase. I just talked to a rep on the phone and explained my situation (and I quickly brought up the holidays and buying presents for my little brother, which is actually a real problem here). It looks like the overdrafts aren't going to be as severe as I assumed. But I'm still going into the downtown branch tomorrow to talk to them. I need to look into this overdraft protection thing.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:23 pm

Dress up like a clown. Tell them it's for work. Make sure make-up is in full "pouty-face" mode.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:24 pm

I need to look into this overdraft protection thing

If you have bad credit, you may not be able to do this - banks run a credit check for it.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:26 pm

I'M FUCKED
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:26 pm

DICKS FIGHT BANKS HATE
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:33 pm

If you have bad credit, you may not be able to do this - banks run a credit check for it.

I don't think that's true. I know US Bank has 2 kinds...one where you open up a credit card, and they take the overdrafts out of that. Obviously they do a credit check on that one. But the one I mentioned before, where you open up a savings account, I remember them telling me that if I didn't qualify for the credit card I could do that option.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:47 pm

yeah, i just had to have a "savings" account which they do a thing where as much as you can possibly overdraft in one day only costs one 7.00 fee and that is taken from the "savings" they didn't run a credit check.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:52 pm

What bank manager is going to resist this?
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:59 pm

what's that bill murray movie where he robs a bank dressed like that?
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 8:00 pm

yeah, i just had to have a "savings" account which they do a thing where as much as you can possibly overdraft in one day only costs one 7.00 fee and that is taken from the "savings" they didn't run a credit check.
thats what i have now too.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 8:00 pm

quick change
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 8:12 pm

Overdraft protecion is a fucking SCAM.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 12:41 am

I have Chase, they blow.
Last month, I went to check my account to make sure my direct deposit when thru and discovered $200 in overdraft fees. Overdraft protection is bullshit.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 12:48 am

Well, I can't speak for any other bank, but US Bank's overdraft protection has always worked just as they claimed it would, for me...I go over, they transfer the money to cover it from my credit card into my checking account + a $5 fee, The End.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 12:53 am

I have Chase, they blow.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 1:09 am

Overdraft protection just covers checks coming threw. Making sure the person you wrote that shit out to gets fuckin' paid. Who cares about your side. Your going to get fucked. It's in the fine print. Read up dumb dumbs.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 1:10 am

I hate banks. Anyway Eric just go and fuckin' be a nice old gentleman. They "can" reverse all of the madness. It's only a matter if they want to spend the time to help you out.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 1:11 am

Sales and Receiving...Lafayette Bank and Trust kiddos. Triple Post!
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 1:15 am

My roommate got dinged for a bunch of stuff recently when she upgraded her account. She asked specifically if she would get charged under certain scenarios and they confirmed that she wouldn't. Of course, she did. And when she called back up to get it fixed they said no. She even demanded to get them to pull out the recording of their transaction, but they couldn't. So, basically she was going to get screwed for the incompetence of someone at the call center.

Anyway, eventually, she went to her local branch where she opened the account years ago, and complained there. They had no problem in reversing the fees in an instant.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 1:52 am

Overdraft protection just covers checks coming threw. Making sure the person you wrote that shit out to gets fuckin' paid. Who cares about your side. Your going to get fucked.

Explain how getting charged $5 once, instead of getting charged $30 per overdraft is "getting fucked". For instance: let's say I don't realize it, but I only have $2 in my checking account, and I go to 5 different stores and spend $10 at each on my check card. If I don't have OP I'll get charged $30 x 5 transactions: $150, plus I still owe the money I went over. If I do have OP, the money I went over will be withdrawn from my credit card (or savings acct) and I'll be charged $5, that's it.
How is that getting fucked, Wabash Trash? Enlighten me.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 11:25 am

Sorry Tapecase Jackson. The bank I work at is quite different. Overdraft Protection covers the other side of things. If you overdraft your account you get hit with a thirty two dollar charge every single time and if you stay in the negative for over five days you get another thirty two dollar fee. It basically just makes sure the checks you have wrote out to somebody still gets paid. Sorry about the confusion. I hope your enlightened.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 2:24 pm

Well, I hate to say it, but wikipedia actually has a pretty good description of the different types of overdraft protection offered by consumer banks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdraft_Protection
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 2:51 pm

I got out with $90 in fees. I know that doesn't sound like a good deal, but it is.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 3:16 pm

It's getting fucked because you are fucking yourself. Everyone makes mistakes, but 90% of the time I'd say it's more people not keeping track of their shit rather than being diligent and meticulous about where their money goes and then messing something up.

And while tellers generally have their hands tied about refunding stuff, I can say that they are more likely to want to throw you a bone if you come in with your check registers and everything up-to-date, and aren't just some fuckup who doesn't keep on top of things.

"Overdraft Protection" = SCAM. I listen to Dave Ramsey. I know.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 3:33 pm

Everyone makes mistakes, but 90% of the time I'd say it's more people not keeping track of their shit

Amen.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 3:38 pm

Sorry. I got this friend at work that habitually wants to bum $ to prevent overdrawing. So ridiculous to happen more than once.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 6:40 pm

Find a good credit union. They practically throw money at you and their overdraft fees are usually lower. They're also a lot more likely to give you a loan, even if yer credit's fucked.
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 12:36 am

in situatiuons like that i like to use 'fuck' every third word. they get sidetracked and start saying shit like, 'sir, please stop using profanity' and the main issue turns into my use of profanity rather than financial matters. all i say is that i am the one who's going to have to pay this shit, so i'll use whatever language i want. what really gets them to shut the fuck up is to tell them that you hope they taste their own blood right before they die. i actually had a girl from fifth-third bank call me back weeping just to say 'fuck you'. i figured that was worth the $80 overdraft.
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 8:00 pm

so, uh, what did you end up doing, Eric?

i just found out that i accrued over $300 in overdraft fees from a mistake i made at the beginning of the month. i didn't catch it until today...going in there tonight after work. i'm hoping that crying a lot will get me out of this.

i'm totally fucked.
Posted: Jan 22, 2007 8:07 pm

I went to the branch and talked to one of the bank reps. I told her everything, very straightforward, no real bullshit. She offered to cut the fees in half and I agreed right away. Then I stared at her ass when we both walked out of her office.

Crying would definitely help, if the teller is a man. If they don't offer to compensate your or cut any fees in half, try calling them. If they still refuse, do what Arman does. It really does make you feel better.
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 12:00 am

well, jake couldn't do shit for me. gonna go in on thurs to talk to the manager. it's ONLY times like these that i wish i had been blessed w/ a huge rack. i will most definitely employ arman's methods if brian the mngr can't help me.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®