Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 3:43 am

All that Shangri-La talk got me thinkin about these dudes. 'One Sock Missing' is a pretty damn good record. And that jam at the end of the first one? "Love Explosion 1979" or something? And "Hate."

Wow, time to go dig out some more old tapes.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:02 am

do you like any good music???
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:13 am

Considering I own records that you put out, maybe you should shut the fuck up.

(Lemme guess, you want me to get rid of them cuz the thought of a loser like me owning something you had a part of just makes you sense, go bus some tables you pathetic artfag, I invented punk rock etc. By the way, do you sit there waiting for me to come on here. You're such a lame.)
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:16 am | Edited by: d diggler

you have delusions of grandeur, busboy, but most of what you said is true. an you shoulda said lamer. that's what the black flags called losers like you.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:19 am

Thanks for confirming every aspect of your bullshit personality.

So, Grifters? Yeah, they were kinda sweet for a minute there. It's OK, people. Really.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:25 am

you're like the creepiest loser in the world. not exactly one who should be talkin about great personalities. oh, i think the two top needs to be cleared. time to clean up other people's refuse, music expert.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:34 am

Seriously, what restaurant would hire this n'er do well? This guy couldn't work the soda fountain at mcdonalds.

Busboy? Hell, he can barely log on to the Goner Board without having one of his delusional brain seizures.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:37 am

hey, don't talk about gaylick like that. he's dedicated to his craft.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:42 am

Just out of curiosity, One Cent, what was your last paying job? Was it that jazz label you ran into the ground or was that an internship/volunteer type deal? I'd love to know who would hire you and how long you could keep a job.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:50 am

you know, nothin as scary complicated, lucrative or prestigeous as havin a clip joint cut-out store.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:52 am

that's what I thought. Well, at least you married up.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 5:08 am

Busboy? Hell, he can barely log on to the Goner Board without having one of his delusional brain seizures.

Are you serious, dude? Cool, man. Keep on rockin. Glad we're talking about The Grifters. Awesome. One good thing, ya'll make me feel much better about my existence. Preesh.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 5:10 am

EZ, Ick, I was talkin' about One Cent, not you.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 5:19 am | Edited by: d diggler

get a room, queers.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 5:26 am

You sure know a lot about queers, fags, & gays.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 5:28 am

I love the Grifters...they put out really goos records and were awesome live....
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 5:32 am

You sure know a lot about queers, fags, & gays.

homos too!!!
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 6:04 am

i don't like the grifters, but i've always told that to scott straight up, he's a fucking awesome gtr player
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 6:26 am | Edited by: Uptight White

"Disfigurehead" and "Kingdom of Jones" were really good, and they were a great live band for awhile.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 12:44 pm

I always tried to like the Grifters but never really got it & then I missed my one chance to see 'em (supposedly their element).
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 2:43 pm

They were better live, I think, then on record, but their records were pretty cool. Live they ripped it up.

It's sad that every thread is turning into a diggler gay thread.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:31 pm

it's sad that you're gay.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:38 pm

it's sad that you still live with Mommy
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 4:41 pm

It's sad to have to slog through this crap to read ANYTHING about The Grifters.....
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:00 pm

The Grifters were great. Awesome live band, and I always dug their records as well.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:29 pm

"Black Fuel Incinerator." That was a good one too. Did Grifters and Oblivians ever play together in Memphis?
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:44 pm

Did Grifters and Oblivians ever play together in Memphis?

maybe once? played with 68 Comeback alot and a few shows with Comp Gamblers
I didn't always "get" the Grifters either...
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 7:52 pm

played with 68 Comeback alot and a few shows with Comp Gamblers
I saw the Grifters play with 68 Comeback (with Jack Taylor) in some BIG theater on Beale St. on my very first visit to Memphis in the early 90's. It was a great show. Both bands were completely "on" that night, even though there were like 20 people there.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 8:13 pm

The Grifters were a great, great band. "She Blows Blasts of Static", "Wonder", the aforementioned "Black Fuel Incinerator", "Radio City Suicide", "Cinammon", "Get Outta That Spaceship and Fight Like a Man", "Corrolla Hoist"... man, so many great songs.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Grifters were great. Lost track around "Ain't your Lookout" or whatever the one with the cool Jim Woodring cover was.

Saw 'em live once but either it wasn't their best night or it wasn't mine. They were good but the crowd blew, I was by my lonesome, and perhaps too sober or fucked-up to enjoy myself at that point in my life.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 10:19 pm

ost track around "Ain't your Lookout" or whatever the one with the cool Jim Woodring cover was.

not much to keep track of after that, "Full Blown Possession" the last SubPop LP should've been great but just wasn't. Me personally, I love it, but I'm partial. The focus was always the live shit...
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 10:46 pm

Both bands were completely "on" that night, even though there were like 20 people there.

Definitely sounds like Memphis in the early 90's...
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 1:00 am

Any of their records blow away 98.5% of the crap out there...I wish they were still around
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 4:15 pm

I sold Aint Yr Lookout back to Shangrilizzle during a weird time. I remember liking alot then hating it alot and then liking it again and then just selling it 'cause it was just different. That was dumb. I'd like to hear it again. I never heard anything off of Full Blown...

But Goddamn what a fucking good band They were. Absolutely integral to my memories/connection to Memphis. I remember thinking they fucking sucked the first time i saw them (maybe w. the Simple[at that time]TONES) but it was a record release or something and I got the Blasts of Static 7" and wore it the fuck out. Saw them play again soon after and it was one of the best things my highschool ears had heard at that time. So Happy, One Sock, Crappin U, and Eureka all great albums and all still sound fresh...mmaybe not so much So Happy, but i still enjoy it long time.

I remember years ago reading a review of So Happy that said something to the effect of "this record sounds like it was recorded in a basement with a microphone wrapped in dirty underwear."

The night/morning I moved to NYC The Grifters played a reunion show @ the last place on earf. It was a killer show and I left drunker than cooter brown, packed up the mazda, and DUI'd myself the fuck outta Dodge.

Dear MPD, I swear I'll never do it again.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 5:13 pm

X-Ray Hip
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 5:39 pm

saw 'em a lot...even in Texas. A unique live band, kinda like a cartoon locomotive ramblin' down the tracks with pieces of the engine flyin' off and shit, almost always at the brink of falling off the tracks...

was always partial to the "Eureka" 10", I dont know why, like almost all of it, but thats the one I still listen to...
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 6:06 pm

Scott once told me that they were pretty unhappy with the way Full Blown Possession turned out. If I remember correctly, he said they had no weed when they were mixing it and it never got to where it should have been. There are still some good songs on it though.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 8:07 pm

Not having grass when you're mixing is a sin and a tragedy. They should've waited.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 8:28 pm | Edited by: jonwayne

ha ha ha weed probably would make mixing somewhat tolerable
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 8:31 pm

Acid would be even better.

"Dude, turn that guitar solo up, it tastes fuckin beautiful!"

You gotta give every record the pot test and the coke test. And if it's psych, you gotta chaw some shrooms or drop some liquid on your tongue.

New test: The fucking test.

"During track four, I had the best orgasm of my life. Print it!"
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 8:40 pm

oblivans played wtih grifts & simple ones at jugghead's wedding reception in a space that is now the parking lot next to the lamplighter.

It's true.

grifts had great songs, great, very messed-up live band. gbv & pavement & all them said "whoah." completely rootable-for bunch of guys.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 8:50 pm

When I lived in Cleveland and for the first few years here in NYC when I would tell someone where I was from the stock reply would be either either "Dude, Elvis...!" or "Dude, The Grifters...!" Unfortuanately it's back to "Dude, Elvis...!"

Speaking of bad ass mid 90's bands I saw Chavez play the other night. Talk about under reckognized...that show "tasted fuckin beautiful." Chavez/GBV@Barristers roughly 1994(?).
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 9:58 pm

super show I cant fuggin my chavez t
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 10:30 pm

Never thought Chavez was very good. Those records never floated my boat. Did like that song "Relaxed Fit." Never saw 'em play though. A couple months ago, I was at a show and this guy was like "Brian Brian!" (not actual name said, but I can;t remember). The n he grabs me and is "You!" and then he goes, "Oh shit, I thought you were Matt Sweeney's brother."

Flesheater, when did you live in Cleveland?
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 12:02 am

we recorded some of "Full Blown" at uh...The Sun Studio Annex? It was a studio at the Old Daisy on Beale Street that Sun opened for some reason... Dave was taking forever doing the vocals on "Spaced Out" and Tripp and I got bored and I had some acid, we ended up across the street at the New Daisy watching Boney James (for what felt like ten years). That is probably as good a reason as any that that record didn't live up to our expectations. here: http://www.boneyjames.com/

Seriously, I had some pot (and it was good) but I couldn't smoke any during the mixing (long ugly divorce story) and we were "persuaded" by SubPop to use an outside mixer. He was a nice guy, but we could've done better with Easley. That and Dave's head being more into Those Bastard Souls. I do have a more profound impression of Canadian Kenny G types though.

oblivans played wtih grifts & simple ones at jugghead's wedding reception in a space that is now the parking lot next to the lamplighter.
fuck, I forgot all about that 'till just now. What was that place? Some kind of resturaunt?
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 12:44 am

Nice.
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 2:22 am | Edited by: flesheater99

Ok Heir Ick I'm gonna further assist in dating the fuck out of this thread. I just pulled MY So Happy Together cassette outta the old duffel (Maxell Metal 90 Min...also includes Sebadoh's Bakesale and some songs offa Archers of Loaf VS the Greatest of All Time[partial]<<spent a litl time @ the Euc I did) and discoverd I was smoking mokin sumpn funky up there earlier when I said So Happyy might not be that fresh. Shit sounds reel nice. I lived in Cleveland O-HI-Ee-Yo for 4 years up til '98. CIA. Fuck some Lake Effect snow but the museum was free. How 'bout u?

Speaking of acid that reminds me ...@ one of my early grift shows someone had hollered out "WHO's TRIPPIN!?" and the bass player raises his hand. Later I found out his name is Trip and that always tripped me out like was he bein for real or was he really? Huh?o4get it

I also found a Nazareth tape in there. anybody wanna jam some?
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 7:27 pm

I liked the Grifters alot. I think I was at that wedding reception too...Maybe. I can't remember. I think thats how the gucamole ended up on my saxofone case... Grifters rock! Whats that haloween 7inch they made? I got it at the house somewhere..."down in the hole" or somethin?
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 7:50 pm

CIA.

Yeah, figures. Seems like everyone and their mothers has gone there. The Euc has been shut down for about 5 years now. My friend still has shit moldering away in it. Case was trying to buy it to level and make parking lots. Had a couple friends who lived in apts above it rent-free for a few years. Lucky bastards.
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 8:48 pm | Edited by: flesheater99

..."down in the hole"-Under the Ground?

I heard about the Euc closing. Its a shame but kind of inevitable. After years of being great they started sucking once Derick Hess stopped booking for them(or at least that was the rumor as to why it started sucking.) The steak joint/bar next to it was pretty cool but I didn't really start going there until I was almost done with that town. The time(s?) I saw the Grifters in Cleveland was at the Grog Shop(yet another killer show). I never liked that place but they booked good shows so whatchya gonna do?
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 9:19 pm

The new Grog is great (it moved up the street to a way bigger place, better sound system, cleaner (real bathrooms!). The staff are all good friends/ex-roomies of mine, so maybe I am biased.

The last couple years of the Euc were terrible, just horrible pop-punk and total bullshit bands. The 90s glory years, much of which was spear-headed by Hess, were long past. He's all about lame prog-hardcore verging on Christian math-thrash or whatever the fuck now. Somebody needs to play him a Hammerhead or Cosmic Psychos record to remind him. Super-nice guy though, but totally overrated artist.

."down in the hole"-Under the Ground?

Oh shit, yeah, part of that SImple Machines single for every month thing. The Tinklers one about James Brown was great. Got rid of all those years ago.
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 9:25 pm | Edited by: d diggler

fuck gbv, pavement, grifters, sebadoh, chavez homo rock.
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 9:30 pm

Mikey, I have pics of you and Eric at Jared's reception -- I think you've got your Bubble Yum shirt on! remember playing sax at Green's Lounge? wasn't Laurie Anderson there that night?
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 9:44 pm

fuck gbv

That'd be awesome to see you and Bob Pollard go at it.
Posted: Dec 24, 2006 3:28 pm

fuck gbv

That'd be awesome to see you and Bob Pollard go at it.

It's even better when you imagine Bob as the pitcher as Dirk catching.
Posted: Dec 24, 2006 3:29 pm

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention I really miss the Grifters. They were brilliant.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®