Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Dec 16, 2006 7:40 pm

So, I'm in Dublin. My hostel is right near Temple Bar, which is full of tourists and meatheads. Any recs for anything near there, that's not so retarded?

Leftpeg- where's that Lynott statue?
Posted: Dec 16, 2006 8:28 pm

KILL BONO!
Posted: Dec 16, 2006 8:32 pm

I'll give you $5 to put a sign under his statue that says "We're no ZZ Top."
Posted: Dec 16, 2006 9:50 pm

The Film Center is right there in Temple Bar. Good pub inside, and usually some good films showing.
Posted: Dec 16, 2006 10:11 pm

Found the Phil Lynott statue. He's a pretty small guy. Jack, I'll see about the sign. Joe- I'll see about Bono, too.
Posted: Dec 17, 2006 12:38 am

How long you in Ireland, Joe?
Posted: Dec 17, 2006 9:48 pm

I'm only here 'til Friday. Managed to get Pogues tix though, so we'll see if Shane's still got it.
Posted: Dec 17, 2006 11:13 pm

I bet you're not seeing much daylight while you're there.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 12:36 am

Find a bar called Sean O'Casey's. I think its owned by the brother of Steve Collins who was a champion middleweight in the 90's. I stayed at that place for a few days straight. Otherwise, get the hell out of Dublin.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 1:00 am

I bet you're not seeing much daylight while you're there.

Yeah, give my regards to sunny Portland.

Sean O'Casey's

Where it be?
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 1:05 am

Posted: Dec 18, 2006 8:53 pm

how were the pogues?
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 12:59 am

The Pogues aren't 'til Thursday night. I'll let you know.
Posted: Dec 19, 2006 10:50 pm

Hoist one for me.

I hoisted several.
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 1:06 am

Hey, Joe! Here's hoping the Pogues are great. Nate has a million cousins in Dublin that he's never met - so say hi to all the Tynans for us! If you come across one, buy 'em a big ol' whiskey for me? And one for yourself , of course. Safe travels, man!!
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 2:15 am

So c'mon, where's the Phil Lynott statue? Going to be there in a few months and I'm guessing our relatively square Belfast friends won't have a clue.
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 3:47 pm

It's on a pedestrian shopping street called Grafton- near Trinity College and St. Stephen's Green. It's 50 feet north of Grafton Street proper on a little side street who's name I can't remeber. I found it completely by accident.
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 5:49 pm

Thank you very much Joe.
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 6:09 pm

There is a goner type of record store in Dublin. It is on the second floor of a building. Can\'t remember the name of it though. It is pretty much all imports there, from America, but they had non import stuff too. They even carried copies of Horizontal Action.
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 6:15 pm

Whoa! There's got to be someone here who knows the particulars...
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 7:20 pm

i e-mailed me dublin punk connect about record stores - he says

,the best one is probabbly Spin Dizzy in Georges Street Arcade. It occasionally gets used lp's of a half decent quality in and is ok for new stuff,but not really punk or hardcore. There's another stall in the same small arcade that does used records and cd's but it's pretty crap.
Road records is rond the corner from there,it rarely has much decent in stock but I know the owners a little so order stuff in.
There's a shop in Temple Bar called Borderline,it's ok,but pricey,does a lot of bootlegs.
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 11:25 pm | Edited by: leftpeg

I went to just about every record store I could find when I was there last year. None of them were really that great. I did get a few things at the previously mentioned Road records.
Posted: Dec 20, 2006 11:45 pm

It's 50 feet north of Grafton Street

They don't have feet over there. Only Metereres
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 12:31 am

The Pogues ruled it pretty decisively. Shane was wearing this weird leather floor-length trench coat though, so that was kinda weird. The show was at this place called the Point, an old train station... it was arena-sized, and the show was sold out. I've never sen so many people flipped out for a band before- it was pretty wild. Little kids, squares, grandmas, and drunk teens waving giant Irish flags and dancing and singing EVERY word. Also- I've haven't had as much beer spilled on me since Gonerfest. And double also, I learned that not even the Irish can understand anything Shane MacGowan says. All in all, a grand success.
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 1:22 am

I learned that not even the Irish can understand anything Shane MacGowan says.

That's because he's got an English accent.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®