Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / New Goth Box set... A Life Less Lived?????
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 7:56 pm

Here is the tracklist, what do ya'll think about this box set by Rhino. I like alot of these bands, but don't know some of them. I'm sure there is some industrial stuff that I wouldn't care for.. Skinny Puppy, Ministry not as big a fan, but Lords, Killing Joke, Jesus Mary Chain, all are stuff I'd like.. 3cds with a dvd.

Dead Souls (Disc 1) - Joy Division
Charlotte Sometimes (Disc 1) - The Cure
She's In Parties (Disc 1) - Bauhaus
Temple Of Love (Disc 1) - The Sisters Of Mercy
Christian Says (Disc 1) - Tones On Tail
Mutiny In Heaven (Disc 1) - The Birthday Party
Spellbound (Disc 1) - Siouxsie & The Banshees
Fatman (Disc 1) - The Southern Death Cult
Mirror People (Disc 1) - Love And Rockets
Power (Disc 1) - Fields Of The Nephilim
Now I'm Feeling Zombified (Disc 1) - Alien Sex Fiend
Snake Dance (Disc 1) - The March Violets
Walking On Your Hands (Disc 1) - Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang ( Disc 1) - Specimen
Wasteland (Disc 1) - The Mission UK
The Grip Of Love (Disc 1) - Ghost Dance
His Box (Disc 1) - Dali's Car
The Weeping Song (Disc 2) - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Exterminating Angel (Disc 2) - The Creatures
God's Zoo (Disc 2) - Death Cult
Heartache (Disc 2) - Gene Loves Jezebel
I Go Crazy (Disc 2) - Flesh For Lulu
Cuts You Up (Disc 2) - Peter Murphy
Open Your Eyes (Disc 2) - The Lords Of The New Church
Heaven Is Waiting (Disc 2) - The Danse Society
All My Colours (Disc 2) - Echo & The Bunnymen
Don't Fall (Disc 2) - The Chameleons UK
Dreamland (Disc 2) - The Rose Of Avalanche
Fall (Disc 2) - The Jesus And Mary Chain
Coming Down Fast (Disc 2) - Daniel Ash
Muscoviet Musquito (Disc 2) - Clan Of XYMOX
Incubus Succubus II (Disc 2) - Xmal Deutschland
Starblood (Disc 2) - Cranes
Ardera Sempre (Disc 2) - Miranda Sex Garden
Blood Bitch (Disc 2) - Cocteau Twins
The Arcane (Disc 2) - Dead Can Dance
Rain (Disc 3) - The Cult
Away (Disc 3) - The Bolshoi
Watch Without Pain (Disc 3) - Rubicon
Pagan Lovesong (Disc 3) - Virgin Prunes
Morning Dew (Disc 3) - Einstürzende Neubauten
Hamburger Lady (Disc 3) - Throbbing Gristle
To Blame (Disc 3) - Kommunity FK
Melody Lee (Disc 3) - The Damned
Romeo's Distress (Disc 3) - Christian Death
Party Time (Disc 3) - 45 Grave
Kiss (Disc 3) - London After Midnight
Dieche (Disc 3) - Sex Gang Children
Assimilate (Disc 3) - Skinny Puppy
Halloween (Disc 3) - Misfits
Tomorrow's World (Disc 3) - Killing Joke
So What (Disc 3) - Ministry
The Hanging Garden (Disc 3) - AFI
Lullaby (Disc 4-DVD) - The Cure
Bela Lugosi's Dead (Disc 4-DVD) - Bauhaus
Lucretia My Reflection (Disc 4-DVD) - The Sisters Of Mercy
Moonchild (Disc 4-DVD) - Fields Of The Nephilim
Deliverance (Disc 4-DVD) - The Mission UK
Ball Of Confusion (Disc 4-DVD) - Love And Rockets
Head On (Disc 4-DVD) - The Jesus And Mary Chain
The Killing Moon (Disc 4-DVD) - Echo & The Bunnymen
Where The Wild Roses Grow (Disc 4-DVD) - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Stigmata(Disc 4-DVD) - Ministry
Spiritwalker (Live) (Disc 4-DVD) - The Cult
Cities In Dust (Disc 4-DVD) - Siouxsie & The Banshees
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:34 pm

gee thanks for reminding me of the existence of Gene Loves Jezebel - i almost lived out the rest of my life with them blotted from my memory.

kind of surprising how much stuff is on there that i actually don't hate though.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:38 pm

Your hate is fine. Like the wind cut by the slumbering, leafless tree limbs in the late-autumn night; not quite dead, but soon. And this night is black, oh, so black. Like my heart. Like my soul. Like my eyeliner...
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:40 pm

I like alot of that stuff, but the inclusion of AFI is total bullshit. I don't really consider Throbbing Gristle, Neubauten or Skinny Puppy goth either, although they're some of my favorite bands.

Looks better than alot of those Cleopatra comps though.

Anyway, goth music rules, people who don't like it are afraid of vagina.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:41 pm

Yeah, I was never into the goth thing, but I do like a lot of the music that came out of it. Some of this is probably more 80s alternative than goth.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:42 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

This shit fuckin' sucks. Anybody defending it ain't allowed to come party with me no more. Skinny Puppy is gay as fuck all hell.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:45 pm

Goth is really a style of fashion than anything. Any of the bands that goths love the most could be lumped into another scene. I'm constantly told that Joy Division is NOT a goth band by people who believe they hate goth (although more likely, are just completely ignorant of it) but do like alot of music that could be considered goth. Goth has always been more of a club scene than anything anyway.

Hell, the whole thing came about as a joke anyway. Bauhaus were kidding!
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:46 pm

Man, Last Rites by Skinny Puppy is one of the best albums ever released in any style of music. I even like some songs off their newest album. Constant innovators! They're basically a punk band fifty years ahead of their time.
hookorcrook
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:47 pm

yeah what the fuck, get AFI on there and add "Russian Roulette" by Lords of the New Church and we're good. Maybe "all in my Mind" by Love & Rockets if we're going greatest hits. i'm going to ask for this for christmas from my grandma.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:47 pm

I am a vampyre.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:53 pm

It actually looks like a neat little package. But yeah, I think when you think of Goth, you think of the art fag types with pancake make-up and corsets. But this looks like a pretty decent box set. Maybe the term post-punk could be used for some of it??
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:54 pm

ctl+f - Shriekback not found - wft?
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:56 pm

Lugossi, save me from the un-true fodder newbies at the club. My Edward Scissorhands leather ensemble is far more authentic than those pleather boys. I am desperately seeking Wynona Ryder.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:02 pm

Your hate is fine. Like the wind cut by the slumbering, leafless tree limbs in the late-autumn night; not quite dead, but soon. And this night is black, oh, so black. Like my heart. Like my soul. Like my eyeliner...

oh my god....
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:03 pm

SUCKS!!!
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:04 pm

There is no god. There is only this giant silver and black cross I purchased at Spencers that hangs from my neck like the albotross that is society.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:06 pm

FUCKING LAME!!! I'd kill a motherfucker if they tried to play that shit in my living room. God it's fucking HORRIBLE!!! EAT SHIT!!!
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:10 pm

I feel the same way about alot of the novelty rock crap you're into, but I don't let it bother me enough to type in caps!
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:11 pm

You would love it.

If there was such a thing as love.

And your blood ran dark.

Like my coffin.

Come, let's drink absynthe and speak only in a Victorian tongue. I have a lace shirt you may borrow.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:18 pm

We can wear white make up and corsets, pirate shirts, and capes. Light a few candles, take pictures of ourselves in the graveyard.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:18 pm

You can't take a photo of a vampyre.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:20 pm

I feel the same way about alot of the novelty rock crap you're into, but I don't let it bother me enough to type in caps!

Good! It's supposed to bum out the squares! FAG!
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:22 pm

This pain...

in my shadowed heart...

it weeps...

I go...

to die...

In the rain.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:24 pm

Specimen! Funniest band I've ever seen... Leather Nun tied for 2nd!

That Einsturzende version of Morning Dew is great, by the way.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:26 pm

THIS BOX SET DOES NOT CONTAIN "THIS CORROSION" BY THE SISTERS OF MERCY, AND THEREFORE IS NULL AND VOID....

(like my soul)
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:27 pm

No Foetus?
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:28 pm

or Cramps doing "Sheena's in a Goth Gang"
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:30 pm

I must retire to the basement. I must continue my work of documenting my 120 Minutes episodes from 1987 on betamax.

No one understands my work, for it is beyond them...
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:32 pm

Remember that South Park episode with the goth kids. They were trying to win some contest or someting??
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:33 pm

I do not watch this television, except for 120 Minutes, for it is Pedestrian and beneath me.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:36 pm

was that the one where stan got served or when stan and wendy broke up?

jimmy:"stan just wanted me to let you know that you're a cunt, a cunt, a cunt, a..."
wendy: "tell stan he can go fuck off!"
jimmy: "...continual source of inspiration"
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:37 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

"THIS CORROSION" BY THE SISTERS OF MERCY

ohhh, i know jack shit sisters of mercy (and about 85% of these bands), but i do love this song.....it's one of those songs that makes you feel like you're in a movie.....
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:38 pm

Come, my dear. Together we will drink dark cherry kool-aid from brass gobblets.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 10:15 pm

Remember that South Park episode with the goth kids

that episode is so f'n funny...the one with the red streaks in his hair keeps flipping it throughout the episode.....stupid conformists..

dark cherry kool-aid from brass gobblets.

I think I saw some of my mom's boxed wine in the fridge.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 10:17 pm

Hey now/Hey now now...
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 10:19 pm

Would your mom drive all of us to the mall? We can shoplift from Spencer's Gifts, then laugh at all the people (while still crying on the inside).
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 10:21 pm

what about Hot Topic?
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 10:24 pm

Yeah, Melody Lee's super goff. Right. Vanian may have created the style that so many folks have aped (myself included), but the Damned were a rock' n' roll band. A great one.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 10:26 pm

boxed wine

"wine comes in a box? goddamn...!!"
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 10:40 pm

This will be at Hot Topic for sure....

*fart
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 10:41 pm

rock' n' roll band
how do you do that BOLD shit.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 10:48 pm

Highlight and click B, G.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 10:50 pm | Edited by: deadcityrebel

b? i don't see no b
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 10:54 pm

right under "Your answer"

below here
VVVVVVVVVVV
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 10:58 pm

or, [b*]dont add the asterisk[/b]
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 10:59 pm

like this?
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:00 pm

fuck yes!

how yall know all this shit?
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:00 pm

hooray!
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:02 pm

too bad we cant play around with fonts and make this a goth appropriate thread
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:03 pm

how yall know all this shit?

Reading is fundamental
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:04 pm

oh wait. i just saw the giant b. and the i, and the u, and the URL
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:05 pm | Edited by: cthort

[u]WOWEEE!!![/u][b][/b]
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:06 pm | Edited by: The Troll

damn, lists don't work
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:15 pm

being Goth is BOLD!
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:17 pm

[font#FF0000]OH, YEAH???[/font]
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:18 pm

I guess colors don't work...
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:23 pm

Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:28 pm

I, um, appreciate the artistic value of Merzbow records.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:29 pm

Or is that Masonna?
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:31 pm

Jesus said "What the hell is a Wumpscut? And they LIKE this shit? You gotta be fucking with me!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:49 pm

It's funny to make fun of the music and fashion of others, even though your own is just as cartoonish. Let's hear it for striped shirts, leather jackets, chuck taylors, shaggy hair. You people are fags.

Also, why the fuck would Foetus be on a goth box set? Cramps I could totally see.

As far as "squares" are concerned, I thought that's exactly who genres like novelty rock, lounge and other sonic silliness were meant for in the first place.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:04 am

I am a vampyre.

3rd time today I have snorted diet coke out my nose.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:09 am

Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:10 am

shit yeah!
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:22 am

Dumb.

It's like Top 40 shit. It's like if the Nuggets box had "Daydream Believer."

No Superheroines, Glorious Din, Rudimentary Peni..

Rhino is so hit or miss. Cool things they did: Meic Stevens-Outlander, The Funhose box and Devo Recombo DNA.

What's up with the late Gene Loves Jezebel cut? They're first 12" is actually pretty good, totally different than the garbage track they picked.

I'm with Bazooka, it's a piece of shit. Goth is a dumb idea anyway. I'm just glad they didn't call it a "Death Rock" box with this crap on it. Not that "Death Rock" should have a box set.

Why did Throbbing Gristle, Birthday Party and Joy Division agree to lisence their stuff to this? MISFITS?!? That makes my eyes hurt.

"Romeo's Distress" by Christan Death would appeal to Michael Richards fans.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:31 am | Edited by: banned

Pink Reason has covered Romeo's Distress on multiple occasions. I was curious how people would respond on the west coast to that song, but then I realized they don't really have black people there. Only Mexicans.

Anyway, this is not meant to be a Nuggets box, it looks like it's meant to be an "introduction to "goth"" type of boxset, much like the many comps that Cleopatra has put togeather on the same subject, only, at least this one has licensed some better stuff than Cleopatra did.

I've never heard Gene Loves Jezebel's first 12", everything I've heard by them sucks. What's the first one called? I am pretty familiar with both early and later stuff by Sisters of Mercy and I still don't understand why people think they're alright. The strangest people end up liking that band, people who don't like any other remotely goth type stuff.

Black Leather by Nightmares in Wax should have been on this for sure too.

...and as far as Rudimentry Peni is concerned, although I definately think they were a goth band as much as they were a peace punk band, I haven't met to many people into goth music draw that same connection. If you're gonna include RudiPeni, you gotta include The Mob too. How about Lack of Knowledge and Crisis then too, or even some early Death in June.

Anyway...
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:40 am

Of course it's a piece of shit.

It's like Top 40 shit.

Exactly. All the shit played by a million college stations that was worn out real fast and unfotunately still played beyond death. I do realise that most no one buying a goth collection is really smart enought o wnat to hear real obscurities anyway. It's a starter kit for goths cuz they don't stop multiplying! FUCK!

It's funny to make fun of the music and fashion of others, even though your own is just as cartoonish. Let's hear it for striped shirts, leather jackets, chuck taylors, shaggy hair. You people are fags.

Rock'nroll style is cool as a matter of fact. That's what rock'nroll is. Music about being cool. Fuckin' Asreal and his gang over there all want to be scary. It's pretty funny lookin' at a bunch of scary people.

As far as "squares" are concerned, I thought that's exactly who genres like novelty rock, lounge and other sonic silliness were meant for in the first place.

Sure, but "sonic silliness" sounds ok in my book.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:41 am

That box set sucks! You better get it!
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:51 am

The closest I ever came to goth was when David J of Bauhaus/Love and Rockets followed me around the Casbah in San Diego after we opened for him, telling me my band was "tremendous" and he wanted to produce us...I was like "you just covered a Marilyn Manson song, not as a joke, but seriously...so,no thanks!" He actually pestered me and singer all night...he was annoying.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 1:44 am

I went to a goth club dressed as The Mummy once, and it wasn't around the Halloween season either. Walked right in to a packed house looking like I just crawled outta an Egyptian tomb covered from head to toe in bandages and wearing a fez while non-chalantly smoking a cig. All the so-called "freaky vampires" took one look at me and gasped with their fang-mouths agape. Got very drunk and breakdanced to the shitty techno. Numerous people danced with me and even bought me drinks. It was just like the prom scene in Teen Wolf. I was totally a hit. I got so wasted that friends said I was doing the mummy-walk for realz on the way out of the club. Had to be one of the funnest nights I've ever had. True story.

Ah...the things I do when I'm very bored.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 1:52 am

Music about being cool.

"Cool" is totally subjective. Personally, I think the characters in Neuromancer are the epitome of "cool." They got more in common with Skinny Puppy than Chuck Berry.

Rock 'n roll is square, honkey!
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 2:05 am

I used to work with a goth chick at Rasputin's. The only things we could agree on musically were Hendrix and V.U., but it always seemed to me that she was listening to them because she felt like she was supposed to. In any case, she obviously got something different out of it than I did.

It's pretty funny lookin' at a bunch of scary people.

I've always found goth and death metal to be extremely amusing. Now "Knoxville Girl" - THAT'S scary.

Prog rock, goth, science fiction - they're all related somehow. I can't figure it out.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 2:16 am

Prog rock, goth, science fiction

Whoa, Whoa, WHOAH!!!
Don't be pickin' on the prog rock. 24 minutes of classically defined pieces beats the crap out of dudes in lacey underthings as overthings.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 2:25 am

"Cool" is totally subjective.

That's where you're wrong. Ask del close and john brent what it means and you'll get a specific answer that ain't got nothin' to do with anything else other than what it is.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 2:29 am

Don't be pickin' on the prog rock

Not necessarily picking on it...but it IS related to sci fi...
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 2:30 am

Yeah, no argument on that.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 6:50 am | Edited by: mikesniper

I really, really, really wanna hear Pink Reason's version of Romeo's Distress.

Anyway, this is not meant to be a Nuggets box, it looks like it's meant to be an "introduction to "goth"" type of boxset, much like the many comps that Cleopatra has put togeather on the same subject, only, at least this one has licensed some better stuff than Cleopatra did.

The CURE?!? Who needs to be introduced to the Cure? Come'awn buddy! Southern Death Cult and The Birthday Party rule, I like the X-Mal Deutschland song on there-the Christian Death song has gotta be on there. The rest is either not very good or doesn't fit. These bands, not arguing whether or not they're good or not, should definately NOT be on this thing: Misfits, Throbbing Gristle, Jesus and Mary Chain. You can even make a case that Echo and the Bunnymen shouldn't be on here. Rudimentary Peni makes more sense than that.

I'll bite, though, and say that IF a goth box should exist and you were going to spend all this money on licensing these HUGE bands, than certainly you could have afforded these much more appropriate (unobscure) ones: Legendary Pink Dots, Coil, Death in June, Current 93, Sex Gang Children.

Plus, don't you think somewhere spread across 4 discs, they can introduce people to lesser-known bands?

The first Gene Loves Jezebel 12" is "Shaving My Neck," it came out in '81 or '82, and it's a demo that Situation Two decided to press. Totally different lineup than the crap hair band. If you like Southern Death Cult, you'd like it. Snakey guitar lines and screaming with lots of echo and noise. It's pretty cheap to find, even though they didn't press many.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 7:14 am

Sex Gang Children is on there. I don't think those bands you mentioned are really goth either, but I can see as much connection between a band like JaMC to goth as I do Rudimentary Peni.

I totally agree about the Cure, but maybe someone into the Cure will buy this and find out about Southern Death Cult or Joy Division. I think that you're missing the point of who the target audience is. I bought one of those Faster and Louder tapes when I was thirteen years old. I knew a couple of the songs on it, but was turned onto Dicks, SSD, Mission of Burma etc...

Anyway, the thing about goth music is that there is a lot of music that if you know alot of goths, you know is common between them, but then you have people into other stuff that try and say "they're not goth" and try and claim them as their own. Like I said, goth has always been more of a club scene and about fashion than anything. The shit they play at goth nights varies alot from dj to dj and club to club.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 8:38 am | Edited by: mikesniper

Yeah, I get it. I'm totally guilty of that. Any band I like from the above I call "post-punk" or "deathrock" to avoid the awful stigma of goth.

"I hate all this pussy shit, whatever it's called."
-Fat Guy in a Goner Shirt Eating a Hot Dog
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 9:25 am

Having lived in Tampa Bay, FL for years, I'm actually more familiar with this shit than I should be. Most of it sucks, some ain't that bad. Can't hate on the JAMC, though I question their "gothhood".

Another lame boxed set.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:22 pm

The closest I ever came to goth was when David J of Bauhaus/Love and Rockets followed me around the Casbah in San Diego after we opened for him, telling me my band was "tremendous" and he wanted to produce us...I was like "you just covered a Marilyn Manson song, not as a joke, but seriously...so,no thanks!" He actually pestered me and singer all night...he was annoying

what about your band THE POINTY SHOE FACTORY ????
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:23 pm

pretty goth ... but good !!!
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 3:34 pm

It must be hard to be a goth - I mean, being disappointed by life AND death!
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 4:05 pm

hawaii had/has big goth scene... go figure. but florida does too...????

also not represented, front 242 industrial goth boots & funny haircut crossover stuff (besides skinny puppy.)

http://www.myspace.com/djnocturna
"I'm still darker than the darkest night even under the most miserable sun."
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 4:28 pm

It's too trendy to be goth now. If you want to be goth all you have to do is go to your closest Hot Topic get some clothes cd's and label yourself Goth. When I was into all this music I never thought of myself as Goth I just liked the music and dressed that way.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 4:34 pm

If you want to be goth all you have to do is go to your closest Hot Topic get some clothes cd's and label yourself Goth. When I was into all this music I never thought of myself as Goth I just liked the music and dressed that way.

Do the same thing and you can call yerself a "punk." Hell, make it a Ramones or Stooges shirt and you can even call yerself "garage?"

It's all the same shit.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 4:44 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

The closest I ever came to goth was when David J of Bauhaus/Love and Rockets followed me around the Casbah in San Diego after we opened for him, telling me my band was "tremendous" and he wanted to produce us...I was like "you just covered a Marilyn Manson song, not as a joke, but seriously...so,no thanks!" He actually pestered me and singer all night...he was annoying

what about your band THE POINTY SHOE FACTORY ????

that was the band David J was freaking out about...we were more Tom Jones than goth...goth bands dont cover Roy Orbison, The Supremes, Dramatics, Captain Beefheart, Don and Dewey...but we did cover Scott Walker and Tuxedo Moon...shit, maybe we were goth...fuck!
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 4:46 pm

I will post an MP3 or two, we will let The Goner board decide...and no I wont post "In Dreams" as our other songs dont sound anything like that.
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 2:56 pm

At one point, the whole goth thing really meant something because it gave nerdy kids a way to be black to the world while exploring the grey areas. If that sounds too faggy, I'll put it another way. The goth kids were the ones that got good grades and only got into trouble when the heshers or the jocks beat up on them. They scared everyone because they partied in graveyards and read Poe. Not only that, but it's really hard to classify goth as a genre of music. It can be anywhere from loud, silly, fast, to classical. The only thing that really holds it all together are its influences - Bowie, VU, T Rex, and Syd Barrett. The real thing is the VU influence. There's a great saying that everyone hated VU, but the ones that liked them started bands. Almost every band on that box claim VU as a major influence. That doesn't mean too much now because everyone and their mother claim how much they love VU. Almost nobody did back then.

To understand why bands like J and MC are included in the goth genre, you either would have had to have been in high school at the beginning of the '80s or have listened to enough music to see how they all have some kind of link to each other. You don't have to have fake fangs, a few ankhs, and wear black all the time to be considered goth. I remember my friend Phil, the only goth in Albuquerque in 1985, pulling out his J and MC 12 inches and playing them very often, mixed in with Specimen, Sex Gang Children, Alien Sex Fiend, Christian Death, etc. This was before J and MC had a full length album; Psychocandy came out later that year. Again, heavy VU influence, although they used to be considered The Beach Boys with chainsaws.
Goth used to be cool. It was garage, punk, techno, classical, psychedelic, Munsters influenced or Poe influenced. But because it was so broad, many people like me who were really into it found other music out there that shared some common influences too. After I started college, I started collecting music by people who did VU covers, for example. That turned me on to 60's garage rock, which brought me back to my earlier influences like The Jam and The Who. And back then, the punks, the mods, the goths, the new wave kids all hung out together and all went to the same shows because they were all outsiders and had more in common with each other then everyone else; Aside from the fact that we were all safer in a bigger crowd of likeminded people.

It used to be out of the mainstream and kind of an inside thing that you and a few others knew. Blame it on Marilyn Munchkin for introducing white trash to angry music. Goth is a cliche now. It didn't used to be. The goth box is a sample of music, not a definitive collection, so it's not going to have the more obscure, experimental stuff like Death in June, Current 93, yada yada yada. As for Joy Division, somebody needs to impose a ban on using them for compilations. That damn song is also on Rhino's punk box and 80s college rock/alternative box.
I'll have to side with Daniel Ash from Bauhaus on this argument. "Goth is a label for people without talent." That's why it can't be so easily pidgeonholed and why there's a thread back and forth over who is and who isn't goth. It's either good in some way - it's different, thought provoking, intense, whatever. It rocks you in a good way, or it sucks ass. Treat what people consider to be goth music as a bigger grey area and you'll appreciate it more.

And my black candle is about to burn out. Later.
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 3:11 pm

There's a great saying that everyone hated VU, but the ones that liked them started bands.

Are you sure about that? Never heard that one before. I think you better check your references.
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 3:22 pm

CAN ANYBODY GET THEIR MOM TO DRIVE US ALL TO THE MALL TODAY?????
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 3:31 pm

Lamar rules!
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 3:34 pm

CAN ANYBODY GET THEIR MOM TO DRIVE US ALL TO THE MALL TODAY?????

My brother just got his permit, maybe he can
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 3:37 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

goth or not?
Pointy Shoe Factory
Instrumental
<a href="http://www.shangri.com/Ebay/Sounds/UCB.mp3">Ultimate Cocaine Bathroom</a>
This Mp3 didnt encode too well, so there are some drop outs here and there in the beginning

Vocal cut
<a href="http://www.shangri.com/Ebay/Sounds/thekiller.mp3">The Killer</a>

why didnt that work?

oh well just copy and paste i suppose
http://www.shangri.com/Ebay/Sounds/UCB.mp3 Ultimate Cocaine Bathroom

http://www.shangri.com/Ebay/Sounds/thekiller.mp3 The Killer
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 5:51 pm

Are you sure about that? Never heard that one before. I think you better check your references.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvet_underground

Quote:

Although never commercially successful, The Velvet Underground remains one of the most influential bands of all time; a famous remark, often attributed to Brian Eno, is that while only a few thousand people bought a Velvet Underground record upon their initial release, almost every single one of them was inspired to start a band.
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 5:52 pm

Yeah, there's a lot of factual research on Wikipedia, that's for sure. And Brian Eno, doesn't he have a degree or something?
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 6:56 pm

Hell, make it a Ramones or Stooges shirt and you can even call yerself "garage?"
wouldn't that be x77punkx
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 7:15 pm

Who wants to do some research and find out the exact number of records VU sold of its first release?? I can believe it was somewhere in the thousands..
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 7:50 pm

I don't think VU inspired me to do anything more than look at Edie's breasts. CIAO!
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 8:02 pm

Edie didn't have breasts
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 8:06 pm

Edie didn't have breasts

Exactly why VU is so inspiring
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 8:52 pm

i can't wait for this thread to reach 666 posts
Posted: Dec 14, 2006 11:18 pm

People who are different suck. Niggers especially. They're the darkest of 'em all.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®