Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / know of a great apartment in NYC?
Posted: Dec 11, 2006 9:53 pm

...didn't think so. there aren't any. god i'm fuckin sick of looking for apartments during the slowest time of the year.

if anyone has tips on a decent apartment anywhere in brooklyn, let me know! i'm going completely nuts. the other day i saw some turn of the century tenement squat that the guy insisted was a "great deal" at 1600 a month. fuck!

live in fort greene now and frankly don't really want to move, but i'm being forced out by a greedy landlord and and an influx of baby carriages.
Posted: Dec 11, 2006 10:36 pm

You probably you don't want to hear this (I know I didn't when I was looking for a new place at this time last year), but Queens is often a lot more affordable, and you tend to get more space for your dollar. Out here in Sunnyside we've got a pretty big 2 bedroom that rents for $1450 a month. (it's a bit of a dumpy building that's right next to Queens Blvd and the 7 train tracks, but still)
Posted: Dec 11, 2006 10:47 pm

I would go on Craigslist and try to find a room in some space in Bushwick if I were you. But, then again, if I were you, you'd be living here. With yourself. Or something.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 6:18 am

that's too esoteric, eric.k.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:38 am

It's a curse. I know. Fucking drill a hole in my head and release the demons. I think I'm ready.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 12:47 pm | Edited by: jahna

if anyone has tips on a decent apartment anywhere in brooklyn, let me know!

hahaha

Take Adam's advice and look in Queens. Or, come on over to the dark side of the Hudson... If you can deal with Union City, Newark or JC Heights, you can get a decent place to yourself for $1000 or under.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 1:50 pm

that's why i live where i do. half the price, twice the space an closer to manhattan than bazooka joe.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 3:07 pm

i knew you had bazooka joe in mind when you moved to Fire Island
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 3:15 pm

I'm not too far from the city. I get to work from Elmhurst to Times Square in half an hour. Getting to Brooklyn on the train is the real problem. We do have about 1,100 square ft. (two huge bedrooms/ two full bath/ huge kitchen/ living room/ dining area) and pay less than Adam! And the tacos... don't get me started on the tacos!
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 3:30 pm

you're the tacos
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 4:02 pm

THANK YOU!
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 4:09 pm

Union City does not have good transportation, unless you like being chained to bus schedule. At least Newark has the PATH. Instead of Jersey City Heights -- most of which is too far a walk from the PATH -- I'd recommend something closer to Journal Square in Jersey City.

If you can deal with Union City, Newark or JC Heights, you can get a decent place to yourself for $1000 or under.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:31 am

I'll look for an apt. in my building in South Williamsburg (S. 3rd and Roebling.) There's lots of places if you investigate enough. My friend found an incredible 2 BR apt. in Greenpoint for $1150 just a few months ago.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:31 am

looks like i'm moving to greenpoint. as long as the credit check goes through. railroads are shite, but oh well right? its just me and the girlfriend.

its really getting silly. i've been here for almost 2 years now and prices have already jumped 300-600 bucks a month in some 'hoods. all these rich fuckers i work for uptown grate on me more and more...
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:32 am

oh fuck. i'm gonna shit if you find something there.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:38 am

yeah, the G kind of sucks but one good thing is that they're adding extra stops to the line so you can go between greenpoint / williamsburgh and park slope / prospect park without transfering. hopefully this means that they'll be adding more trains to the line too.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®