Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / What's up with the guy that left his family for 9 days
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 6:09 pm

stranded? I don't feel like reading/watching the news. is he arrested for something? I don't get it.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 6:12 pm

The guy in Oregon? He went for help. They haven't found him yet.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 6:14 pm

oh. i thought i heard he had been arrested for leaving them. silly me.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 6:20 pm

No, they got snowed in in some fairly remote area. They've found his pants he was wearing over his jeans and his ipod. They don't know if he's leaving a trail, or if he's losing it.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 6:23 pm

when i'm trapped in deep snow i always take my pants off
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 6:26 pm

at least he has some music. i would take my boots off next.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 7:22 pm

The last meal they ate in Portland was where Hollis works. The friends called him about it days later after the cops were blowing it off.

Dad has apparently left a trail of clothing but there is still no sign and they are dropping supply kits where they think he may be holed up.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 7:29 pm

crazy
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 8:55 pm

He only ventured off after they'd already been out in the wilderness for an entire week (heading home after Thanksgiving) and the gas in their car (used to heat them up) had run dry, and they'd burned their tires. Fuck, I guess you probably figure that after a week they've given up.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 8:58 pm

Yes. There's no way Bruce would ruin his best rock'n'roll pants wading about in the snow.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 9:02 pm

From CNN:

-- The dead body of James Kim -- who left his wife and children in a snowbound car while he went for help -- has been found in the Oregon wilderness, law enforcement officials confirm.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 9:15 pm

This is sad and everything, I dont mean to make light of it... but just goes to show tech-geeks dont have a chance in the wilderness.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 11:48 pm

the reason we have streets is so we don't have to get lost in the woods anymore. carry a map assholes.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 11:57 pm

The map is what screwed them--it doesn't show that it is a fucking FOREST ROAD or explain what the hell that is and it is totally OK to take during the summer, not the winter.

Yeah, they should have "known better" but if you look at the map in a big road atlas, it just looks like a small highway to the coast. Apparently they ignored some snow warning signs but whatever, it is a sad story. Nature is a motherfucker.

If you live up here, you know this time of the year to cross over to the coast way north of where they were; someone from basically anywhere else may not have figured that out from how the maps read.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 11:59 pm

He did. They missed the exit. There was questions about the map they had, and whether or not it showed that the area they were in was closed to cars during the winter.
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 12:00 am

What Fiery said.
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 12:43 am

The only reason they keep those roads open in the winter is for "winter outdoor sports enthusiasts" and "off roading logging etc vehicles". Not Saab station wagons. But, if you Mapquest the quickest route from Portland to Gold Beach...it tells you to go exactly the way they were going. Those roads in the best time of the year are mostly gravel and at that point go over a sketchy mountain range. No route to the Oregon coast is peaches and cream at anytime, really.
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 1:17 am

Dude had an ipod but NO CELL PHONE??? If that had been Wisconsin, they'd have had the sense to eat someone to survive.

-Ryan
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 1:31 am

The cell was with the wife and kids and it was what saved them--they pinged it.
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 2:09 am

stay out of the woods. we're trying to have a society here.
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 3:32 am

goner news to the rescue - thanks evrabody
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 3:44 am

He did. They missed the exit

i knew i should have taken that left turn at alburquerque.
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 3:44 am

Windy is not allowed to talk about pictures or everybody.
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 4:12 am

jackstands check your email
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 4:47 am

this is a really sad story... the couple were mutual friends of some friends of mine... in this day and age, i can't imagine this kind of thing befalling anyone, but apparently it happens all too often. and with some other recent -- and similar -- horror stories (like the girl whose car went over an embankment, and the cops told her folks that she probably ran away and she nearly died of exposure before being found), it was the family, not the authorities, who insisted they were in trouble and instigated the search. if the feds had gotten involved sooner, maybe he would've survived. conjecture, i know, but still...

anyone in memphis recall the nurse on her way to work whose car was nudged off the highway by a drunk cop? he intercepted her 911 call and insisted she was okay, she went undiscovered for days, and the po-po kept telling her husband that they must've gotten into a fight and split town "to cool off for a few days." meanwhile, she was paralyzed, in her car, just off the highway, for days. WTF???
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 5:13 am

Nov 28, 2005
Deena Vest dies six-years after tragic wreck

Visitation for one-time registered nurse Deena Vest is tonight. She died Friday, six-years after the traffic accident that left her paralyzed.

Former Memphis police officer Leighton George, Jr., was convicted of DUI assault and sentenced to time in prison for the 1999 crash that left Deena Vest paralyzed.

Now, he's listed as a parolee in Mississippi.

George will not face more criminal charges since Vest has died, but the attorney representing her family says a civil trial is pending.

Rick Sparkman told Action News 5 this morning that the Vest family "will amend the civil lawsuit to allege wrongful death," a change from the "negligence" claim attorneys had been focused on.

The crash happened years ago, but the details are still fresh in the minds of many Mid-Southerners.

Vest was on her way to Methodist University Hospital where she worked as a nurse when George's car crashed into her Jeep.

Vest ended up in a ravine, injured and alone for eight hours in freezing weather before help arrived.

George said he never saw Vest's jeep. He claimed the car he hit drove away.

"I feel horrible about what's happened to this poor young lady and her family and there's not been a day that's passed that I have not thought about it or my family has not thought and prayed about it and we will continue praying about it," George said in 2000.

Vest spent five-weeks in intensive care and even longer in a rehabilitation center where she learned to communicate by blinking.

It took jurors just three-hours to convict George of DUI assault.

Deena Vest's family was there to hear the guilty verdict.

"Putting this man in jail for life will not change the situation, but I did want it to be known that he was guilty, and for him to finally be admitted guilty that's the main thing I wanted. The rest of it is whatever comes comes," Deena's husband Terry Vest said in 2000.

---

the cop got out after serving less than four years...
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 5:22 am

the po-po

come on andria we are trying to elevate the way the rest of the country looks at us, you of all people should understand the proper use of english, THE FUCKING PIGS!!!
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 5:33 am

uh, i didn't say that because I don't wanna get pulled over tomorrow...
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 6:01 am

If I ever make a whole lot of money, enough to fund something of the venture I'm proposing, I swear on my life I will set up a fund to give grants to people to brutally murder pigs like that one.

Honestly, I think people in power like that, who make those kinds of choices should have their family suffer for their crimes. Call me sociopathic, but I think his children, if he has any, should be murdered, and then he should be buried alive, with enough life support mechanisms locked into his tomb with him so that he could sit and think about his childrens pain for a few days before he dies off.
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 6:18 am

yeah yer just storin' all yer fat up in case this ever happens to you, eh? (i know i am.)

obv you don't miss cable tv one bit. if you did, i'm sure you'd be hawkin some shit up on here so IT DONT GET TURNED OFF. (steal it, fucker steal that motherfuckin cable)
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 5:29 pm

jackstands check your email

I didn't get nothin'.
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 8:43 pm

Burger King
Posted: Dec 8, 2006 2:04 am

thought this thread was about dwight frye
Posted: Dec 8, 2006 2:56 am

I'll tell you exactly what happened to that guy...

He had a wife and two fucking children and after being stranded with them for a few hours, like any smart guy would do, he decided to take his chances walking out in the snow, apparently with no pants on, just to get away from them yapping about how cold and hungry they were.

That guy committed suicide.
Posted: Dec 8, 2006 3:01 am

There was an old woman in south Florida when I was a kid who drove off an overpass into swamp lands. After three days her family started getting concerned. They found her after a week and she had been living off of starlite mints up to her neck in chest in swamp water
Posted: Dec 8, 2006 3:23 am

Old women always have those. That and circus peanuts.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®