Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / I realize Frank Zappa's not cool enough for most of you
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 4:48 am

But those who know that "Freak Out!" is the greatest album ever will be thrilled to learn (if you didn't know already) that it's 40th anniversary is being commemorated with the release of a 2-CD edition (which is apparently out now) and a 4-CD edition (still no release date). Only the 1st disc in both sets are the same which is bogus, but hey, in total that's one disc of the original stereo mix and 4 discs of outtakes and stuff. Apparently, the plan is to do this for EVERY Zappa album.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 4:55 am

and did you know he died 13 yrs and 1 day ago. Go to Crooks and Liars there's a funny clip of him on Crossfire from '86...
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 4:55 am

This is the Central Scrutinizer...
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 5:00 am

The local classic rock station was celebrating the 30 Anniversary of 'Hotel California' this past weekend...No mention of 'Freak Out' though.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 10:14 am

Cruising w/ Ruben & The Jets!
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 10:17 am

Zappa's too cool for all of us.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 4:58 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

I rode cross country with an avid Zappa fan that was desperately trying to turn me on to his fusion jazz orchestral arrangements. Didn't do a thing for me, but I do dig most of his early work from his first 5 albums.

The stuff he did with Captain Beefheart (not their high school r&b recordings) is good chit, too.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 5:12 pm

The stuff he did with Captain Beefheart (not their high school r&b recordings) is good chit, too.

hot rats rules.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 6:00 pm

Zappa looked kinda like Bin laden
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 8:30 pm

I'm going to beat on my bongos in the dirt.
BONGO FURY!!!!!!!
clip of him on Crossfire from '86...
He tried to tell us all about the rise of the Evil Empire. Unfortunatly we didn't listen. He should have had a political show when he was still alive. I loved his appearances on Howard Stern.
celebrating the 30 Anniversary of 'Hotel California'
That piece of shit band wants 4.2 million$ for a gig; second only to The Rolling Stones, they want 5 mill.
"The Eagles suck!!!!!" "Smoke this, it will really get you out there."
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 8:50 pm

The 40th anniversary of Freak Out has already been commerated with beer:
http://hedonistbeerjive.blogspot.com/2006/10/lagunitas-brewings-freak- out-ale.html
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 9:19 pm

Wasn't reissuing every Zappa album ever what put Rykodisc out of business?

I have "Freak Out!" for some reason, but...

ZAPPA IS AWFUL. ALL OF IT.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 9:37 pm

The Eagles, at least, came up with TWO good songs. Zappa, ZERO.

BOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beefheart rules!
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 9:55 pm

The Eagles, at least, came up with TWO good songs.

?
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 9:58 pm

The Eagles, at least, came up with TWO good songs.

um....huh?
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 10:07 pm

See Afternoon Rock thread.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 10:09 pm

See any thread but this thread. Zappa stinks!
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 10:12 pm

zapper might rule
but beefheart dominates
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 10:48 pm

That Eagles quote will haunt you.

See any thread but this thread.
See title of this thread.
Posted: Dec 6, 2006 11:44 pm

Zappa's too cool for all of us

because none of the rest of us got wild man fischer to play on a record
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 12:42 am

That Eagles quote will haunt you.

I'll be fine.
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 7:30 am

Alice Cooper just asked me to tell all you fuckwads to eat cactus
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 11:49 am

You're right, he's not cool enuff ... but he IS dead enuff! Haw!

Zappa blows! The only good Zappa rekkids are them tracks with Beefheart on 'em, and even they never persuaded me to buy the rekkid ...
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 1:15 pm

I can't change that dial when I hear "Take It Easy" on the radio.

I gotta at least wait until I hear "it's a girl my lord in a flatbed ford slowing down to take a look at me..."....then maybe move to another station...

But you gotta give the Eagles credit for that one...
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 1:22 pm

My cousin came to my house once and he put on some Zappa Record called
"Sheik Yerbutti," and I hated it so much I made him turn it off. I literally had to be a dick and say "this is my house...I'm turning this shit off."
He and his two hippie friends were dumbfounded at my rudeness.
I then put on The Troggs and they all made fun of me for playing "oldies."
It was like they couldn't tell the difference between the Troggs and
Gary Puckett and The Union Gap.
I never liked Zappa because zany and wacky mixes horribly with musical virtuosity. Zappa is the precursor to prague jam zaniness such as Phish etc...
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 3:58 pm

Zappa is the precursor to prague jam zaniness such as Phish etc...
That is so wrong. They (as in hippies & jam bands a la O.A.R., Big Wu, String Cheese Incident" all those fuckers) try to claim they're on the same page as Zappa but they are, as I said, so wrong. And it took me ten years to like half of "Sheik Yerbouti." I would never play that for someone after saying "you gotta check this guy out."

One of my favorite Onion headlines was "Zappa fan convinced you just haven't heard the right album yet."

Once and for all, the Eagles are the worst band in recorded history. Or at least up until Nickelback.
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 4:14 pm

Are me and Bateman the only Eagles fans here? I love the Eagles! Bateman is a total fox! A mopey 6th grader fox! I love you! I love you!
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 4:43 pm

I gotta at least wait until I hear "it's a girl my lord in a flatbed ford slowing down to take a look at me..."....then maybe move to another station...

But you gotta give the Eagles credit for that one...

Jackson Browne.....which takes this thread to a whole different level of smarminess
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 4:50 pm

I'm not saying FZ is smarmy.....but Jackson Browne and the Eagles= smarmy
Posted: Dec 7, 2006 4:50 pm

Wasn't reissuing every Zappa album ever what put Rykodisc out of business?

They put out every Zappa album ever like 5 times. The first CD pressings sounded like someone put a Fisher-Price microphone up to a Snoopy record player for the master. The subsequent reissues were pretty crispy, though.

I'm a "Roxy and Elsewhere" man ...
Posted: Dec 8, 2006 10:00 am

back at the commune in the U district circa '72
one warm afternoon, one of the regulars brought in
the new zappa and lennon lps. then we got wasted
just to be sure we didn't miss any meanings..back then,
sure as snot, you had to be up on the lastest offernings from those not
so corporate gods down there in l.a.

by the way I got booted cause I voiced an unpopular opinion about those Eagles..none of those lamos dug Iggy
Posted: Dec 8, 2006 11:27 am

back at the commune in the U district circa '72
none of those lamos dug Iggy

Sounds like a nice time and place.
Posted: Dec 8, 2006 12:22 pm

didn't change popmusic
he made fun of most pop music
he spoofed r&B
him all those pirates he put on stage
tried to intellectualize art & artificate
12 tones
if you can listen to Eric Dolphy
why not Frank Zappa?
Posted: Dec 8, 2006 5:34 pm

Are me and Bateman the only Eagles fans here?

No. After years of knee jerk, anti-dinosuar rock sentiment, I gave the Eagles a chance in the last few years and like them. They were always good, it was my narrow mindedness that was bad.

I still can't figure out how people that jizz at the first notes of anything Graham Parsons related so vehmently despise the Eagles.
Posted: Dec 8, 2006 5:39 pm

I still can't figure out how people that jizz at the first notes of anything Graham Parsons related so vehmently despise the Eagles.

The latter Eagles had very little to do with Gram but I agree with you if your'e talkin' early Eagles.
Posted: Dec 11, 2006 6:47 am

Trouble Comin' Everyday
Jazz Discharge Party Hats
Posted: Dec 11, 2006 6:50 am

Zappa's "anit-hippie" "humor" is the smuggest most bullshit....argh....fucking lame. I mean, I'll get down with "Return of the SOn of Monster Magnet" anytime, but I recently got rid of "Freak Out!!!" cuz the doo-wop stuff and "jabs" at the counterculture leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's like he really wanted to be part of it, or something, but he just wasn't able t concieve of truly letting go and fucking going for it (anything). Hyper-intellectualization of everything, kills a man dead. Even 200 Motels is pretty fucking dumb. Eh...I've known many a record clerk who would take a bullet for him, but goddman, NO.

Beefheart's on a whole nother level. He actually, y'know, FELT the music. It had emotion. I'm sure someone could create a fantastic 70 minute mix of Zappa's oeuvre that I'd love, but then again, he has 6000 fucking albums to choose from. An interesting personality for sure, smart, etc. but his music is as souless as Kenny G doing a jam with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Sorry, dunno where this is animosity is coming from. Think I've just had this argument too many times already. Who cares. Now, Moon Unit, I can get down with that....

Makes me wanna hear "Valley Girl," like, totally.
Posted: Dec 11, 2006 6:52 am

he was dedicated to rock 'n roll

Maybe, but he wouldn't understand it if Jerry Lee Lewis smacked him upside the head with a baby grand.
Posted: Dec 11, 2006 7:17 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

I disagree.

At least Zappa wasn't fuckin' his underage cousins.
Posted: Dec 11, 2006 3:21 pm

I think Heir ick summed up my thoughts pretty well. I've tried to like Zappa for years, I mean I like a lot of things in the Zappa orbit, but it doesn't sound like rock 'n roll to me, and he's a really irritating personality. No offense, Mikey!
Posted: Dec 11, 2006 8:19 pm

And you don't understand fuck all of Beefheart either.

Wrong.

Beefheart is poetry. Zappa is a master's thesis.
Posted: Dec 11, 2006 9:33 pm

I like to smoke out and play Willie The Pimp at two notches above excrutiating. It makes me smile. Far be it from me to try to quantify culture. That said, the eagles have always and will continue to suck balls.
Posted: Dec 11, 2006 10:51 pm | Edited by: I am the Arm

First couple Zappa ant the Mothers of Invention are great. "I'm Jimmy Carl Black and I'm the Indian of the group."

Eagles? Woah...I hate Don Henly.

Joe Walsh is only good when I'm riding with my dad in his car at age 14.

Judging by this, looks like Henley's still getting all the band's pussy.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 1:32 pm

What is this a quiz?
Don't you worry what it is.
It is merely just a moment I can treasure

I do like me some bongo fury. Now and then just a little Zappa in homeopathic doses. I do !
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 1:57 pm

I don't dig Zappa... I just dig the idea of Zappa.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 1:59 pm

The Eagles don't bother me at all. I can listen to it, I dont love or hate it. There are a BILLION worse bands than the Eagles. I really don't think people started passionately hating Eagles until the Big Labowski came out.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 2:52 pm

i love the Mother live at Fillmore 71 lp -- Flo and Eddie are fucking awesome and the lead up and delivery of Happy Together is great.

dont eat the yellow snow
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 6:46 pm

i love the Mother live at Fillmore 71 lp -- Flo and Eddie are fucking awesome and the lead up and delivery of Happy Together is great.

Correct.

Robert Planet.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 8:07 pm

My course next semester at Concordia University, I love my school...

ZAPPA: COMPOSER/SOCIAL CRITIC

course description:
This course examines both the musical and the historical legacies of one of the most controversial and misunderstood composer/musician of the twentieth century: someone know as much for his smutty lyrics as for his technical virtuosity and compositional brilliance. Zappa was a highly original creator whose musical contribution ran the gamut from R&B and doo-wop to progressive rock. Jazz and orchestral music, and the course will include close analyses of his recordings. At the same time we will study Zappa's consistent and far-reaching critique of contemporary society and culture.
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 9:38 pm

"Hey Punk where are you going with that guitar in your hand?"

I think Zappa would not have dug The UTurns.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:19 pm

zap rules bateman shut it ...
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 2:15 pm

batman's right. zappa blows.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 8:14 pm

Posted: Dec 14, 2006 2:36 am

I love the Mothers of Invention. In it for the Money & Freakout are masterpeices! Awesome stuff!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®