Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / GRE advice
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 12:49 am

i just registered to take the GRE on Feb1st. so i've got about two months to study. anyone got any advice for me? useful study guides?

thanks!
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 1:12 am

Get a Barron's study guide. Brush up on math. Be prepared to take it more than once. I dunno...
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 1:12 am

ps- they have prep classes you can take, as well.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 1:18 am

Letters of recommendation. Get them. Get good ones. Forget about the test.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 2:23 am

thanks!
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 2:34 am

Depends on the program--mostly those letters and grades are going to be the clinchers, but if you say, SUCK at math or english and your score is unimpressive and you are trying to get into a competitive program, that stupidness can prevent you from getting in over someone else with a higher score. I talked to people in a PhD program last year and yes, they still pay attention to this.

Definitely brush up on math. The verbal is easy if you read and made A's on papers in your BA program.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 3:08 am

don't bother with it unless you are completely sure you want it for something. I am an ass. So far, I have taken the GRE and the MCAT. I won't be using either. I may take the LSAT just for kicks at this point.

But more seriously, practice geometry and get wordy flashcards.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 3:10 am

depends on what your major is. if you're going into a program for the humanities, study like a motherfucker on your vocab. most science related programs will take the math score into consideration. for math, they're just gonna laugh about the math part of the gre because it's so easy for math majors pretty much from what i understand.

i didn't study any of my math, but did study a barron's guide for my vocab and i still didn't do great on it. pissed me off that i even BOTHERED to study because not very many of the words i had problems with were on the barron's list of words used by previous gre's. the worst are the comparisons. if you don't know the definition of ONE word out of the four, you're basically screwed. study your vocab. that's the BIGGEST thing you can do to help yourself. walk around and memorize the damn dictionary. it won't help you if you think you know root words of shit because they do try to trick you like you wouldn't believe. reading comprehension i breezed through and did amazing.

the math score i did about as well as i should for a competitive school for a person in history. a person majoring in math science should get better than what i got though. heh. i was on the bottom half of what is considered acceptable for a really competitive school for a degree in history in the verbal, so watch out. i busted my ass studying for that shit and still managed to barely scrape by, and i'm not stupid.

the writing part is pretty easy. i got in the upper 95 percent on that. but then again, you just write it like you do a regular paper for a class. i laugh at how many people screw that shit up miserably though. i figure if you graduate college with a bachelor's, you should know how to write, but you'd be surprised about how many people just can't do it. you have to basically have a clear, concise thesis statement, and list examples to back up your argument. pretty simple to me, but i guess it's not as simple to others.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 3:30 am

I was one of those people who "couldn't do it". Literally, I was so wracked with anxiety that I couldnt concentrate at all. Anyhow....

Be Prepared. Really. I mean, they average the scores if you take it more than once. Usually, schools will look at the higher score, but still....All I can say is that the importance of the GRE COMPLETELY depends on what the program is and if you need it. Some schools use it as a cut off for who they will interview.

Study hints? Take Kaplan. Although I still ate shit on the test (yes, I am one of those people that got the refund), I don;t really blame them. I think I just was so overwhelmed I couldn't deal... the implications were just too huge for me. Especially because Psych programs tend to weigh the GRE heavily, and definately use it as a cut off mechanism. Either way, I still ended up getting into multiple Doctorate programs. So, it really depends on what programs want, and how important the GRE is....but I definately would be prepared and would ONLY take it if needed.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 3:41 am | Edited by: Miss Faye

I got a study guide from the library just so I'd know what to expect. My bachelors is in English, so I didn't worry about that part too much. I've always sucked in math (as in remedial classes in college), so I figured if I didn't know it by now, I certainly wasn't going to all of a sudden figure it out for the test. So basically I'm saying I went in cold and did fine. I literally guessed at the majority of the math questions, so that score wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. I would recommend brushing up on your essay skills though, especially if you have trouble writing on the spot. And if you can type, you're lucky (I can't). I think the most important thing is to RELAX! I took the LSAT twice and that was the most difficult test I'd ever taken. I knew that nothing could be as bad as that!
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 3:55 am

when i went in to take the test, i was thinking that they were going to administer the verbal or math part first. NOPE. the writing was first. talk about fidgeting like crazy.

do they always make you do the writing first or is it all random the order the test parts come?
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 4:08 am

Be Prepared.

totally. i took kaplan. it made all the difference.

STUDY.

math: you've got to know all that percentage, fraction stuff all over again. plus geometry. all of it, in fact. brush up on the math shit, for real.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 4:42 am

don't they publish a "GRE for Idiots" book?
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 5:02 am

i think i may wait until next september to take the test. apparently they are going through some REAL big changes for the gre.

http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menuitem.c988ba0e5dd572bada20bc47c3 921509/?vgnextoid=6793cb8a55e76010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD&vgnextchann el=53e65da22af66010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 2:25 pm

Pfft... I didnt even study, took & passed my GED no prob.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 3:00 pm

Get into an MFA program -> NO GRE REQUIRED!!!
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 3:11 pm

don't they publish a "GRE for Idiots" book?

is this a stab at me. thanks tet.

Get into an MFA program -> NO GRE REQUIRED!!!

i considered getting an MFA before getting my MArch just to pad the resume, but decided i didnt want to pay that much or be in school that much either.

apparently they are going through some REAL big changes for the gre.

i guess it wouldnt hurt to take it both before and after, just in case. and i'll look into kaplan too. thanks all.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 3:41 pm

I was one of those people who "couldn't do it". Literally, I was so wracked with anxiety that I couldnt concentrate at all. Anyhow....

Yeah, you and I both. I got such a mediocre score, and it was all pretty much neves and somewhat not enough prep. Also, I forgot that there's the added "dummy" section to the test, but you don't know which one is the dummy section, so you worry about which one is the dummy section rather than taking the fucking test and end up fucking up both sections.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 5:18 pm

I agree with Saint Sarah. I am taking the LSAT in Feb. instead of trying to pass the math portion of the GRE again. Besides I could get more passionate about beind a lawyer than having a master's in teaching. Cuter guys too!! I thought about MFA (no GRE) but I already have a BA in art and the job market is so slim. I can also get passionate about a big paycheck and/or helping poor people in the legal system. Any one passed the bar exam? (of course that would be 3 years down the road for me)
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 5:38 pm

I am taking the LSAT in Feb

start studying your logic problems...
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 5:40 pm

I thought about MFA (no GRE) but I already have a BA in art and the job market is so slim.

You still have to take the GRE for 90% of MFA's.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 7:01 pm

start studying your logic problems...
i hear alot of schools are switching to the lsat where humanities are concerned.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 7:03 pm

i've got some advice for you, loser. kill yourself. anybody so stupid that they couldn't gradiate from high school doesn't deserve to live.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 7:54 pm

I am taking the LSAT in Feb. instead of trying to pass the math portion of the GRE again. Besides I could get more passionate about beind a lawyer than having a master's in teaching. Cuter guys too!!
I dont actually have any interest whatsoever in going to law school. I have just taken pretty much everyother standardized test.

anybody so stupid that they couldn't gradiate from high school doesn't deserve to live.
I think you are confused.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 8:00 pm | Edited by: elle

i hear alot of schools are switching to the lsat where humanities are concerned.

that's interesting. i've never taken the LSAT. i've looked at sample tests of that before and it seems like it'd be better for me. but i like logic problems much better than set math problems and a vocabulary quiz. i think logic problems can gauge your intelligence a million times better than the shit the GRE does.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 8:27 pm

i've got some advice for you, loser. kill yourself. anybody so stupid that they couldn't gradiate from high school doesn't deserve to live.

GRE not GED.
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 8:56 pm

Ha!
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 10:48 pm

so i took this today. work got really crazy over the last few months and i didn't get to study at all. i basically went in blind. i ended up getting a 730 on math and pretty bad (i don't want to say) on verbal. i guess i need to study that and take it again, but at least i got half of it taken care of.
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 11:10 pm

so i'm taking this thing saturday - you got any last minute tips, trey? in particular, how was the writing portion of the test? i think verbal is gonna pull my math score out of the shitter but we'll see.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 2:23 am

Any one passed the bar exam? (of course that would be 3 years down the road for me)

One of the guys on here is a lawyer; I forget his name. He would know, if he sees this.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 2:24 am

Well, he's either a lawyer or is clerking for somebody/going to law school. Look at the Duke University Rape thread, I always forget his name.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 2:36 am

hemant's a lawyer
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 2:43 pm

o i'm taking this thing saturday - you got any last minute tips, trey? in particular, how was the writing portion of the test? i think verbal is gonna pull my math score out of the shitter but we'll see.

as i didn't really study, i'm probably not the best to ask for tips. sorry. good luck.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 2:57 pm

Is GRE some kind of ACT/SAT for graduate placement? I thought it was related to a high school diploma somehow. I don't remember any colleges asking for this.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 3:10 pm

I thought it was related to a high school diploma somehow.

that's the GED.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 4:12 pm

Great, but that still doesn't answer my question.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 4:23 pm

BAH HA HA!!!! Classic.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 4:53 pm

Is GRE some kind of ACT/SAT for graduate placement?

yes. just like you gotta take the SAT to go to college. you gotta take the GRE to go to grad school.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 4:54 pm

the GRE is not very Goner
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 5:16 pm

That's what I figured. I stopped at a Bachelor's (and loogit me now!).
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 9:31 pm

so i'm taking this thing saturday - you got any last minute tips, trey? in particular, how was the writing portion of the test? i think verbal is gonna pull my math score out of the shitter but we'll see.

From what I recall, the writing portion is pretty much the same as on other standardized tests. I think it's English 101 stuff like persuasive writing, writing an argument, etc. They just catch you off guard since you won't know the topic beforehand. Eloquent writing with a good structure and few grammatical errors makes up for it if your sample isn't very lengthy. Take the time to jot a few notes so the essay isn't all jumbled. I'd go for the basic five paragraph essay if I were you.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 10:05 pm

I took both LSAT and GRE and wound up going to neither grad school nor law school. I think I did well on the GRE verbal and the analogy section of the LSAT. But the math section of GRE killed me and the logic section of the LSAT was even worse. It's full of questions like, "A six story hotel is changing the carpet on 5 of their floors. 2 floors will have gold carpet. 1 floor will have red carpet. 1 floor has blue carpet. What color carpet will be on the third floor?" My brain don't work that way. After about two of those questions, I began singing the Mary Tyler Moore theme in my head and staring out the window.

It doesn't help that all of these tests seem to be held at 7:30am on a Saturday.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 10:22 pm

d diggler is to gay as bazooka joe is to ______________

(answer: stupid - but we will also accept 'queer')
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 5:02 am

What's nuts about those logic questions on the LSAT is that there is actually almost a formula to figuring them all out. Once you "get it," you've got it. I never really "got it," but I still did okay. But yeah, for some odd reason, I put myself through it twice and then completely ditched the idea of law school in favor of where the big bucks really are: teaching in innner-city schools! Now there's logic!
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 1:47 pm

yeh! I take the LSAT Feb. 10. The analytical reasoning guestions on the practice test suck. They are all like algedra. I will do better guessing on that portion. The other sample tests are ok, you just have to read each word carefully. The writing will be fun. I like your attitude Sarah, because I am in the Master\'s in Teaching program now: I passed the Praxis but still need the GRE if I stick with teaching. As I said before-Way cuter guys in law! I better go study! Oh what is that FORMULA for logic?(of LSAT not teaching!?) Also Hughass what i hate is that the gold carpet is X, the green carpet is Y and the red carpet is Z. Now THAT is confusing!
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 3:57 pm

so i took this today. work got really crazy over the last few months and i didn't get to study at all. i basically went in blind. i ended up getting a 730 on math and pretty bad (i don't want to say) on verbal. i guess i need to study that and take it again, but at least i got half of it taken care of.

That's about how I did. I took almost exclusively writing and humanities classes in college and smoked the math section of the GRE and didn't do so hot on the verbal. Depending on what you're applying for you should be good as long as you got a 500 or so on the verbal. Unless it's a really prestigious and competitve program, getting accepted to grad school isn't as hard as one would think.
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 12:25 am

whoo boy. so, GRE today: totally fucked up the writing section i think - haven't done that kinda stuff in YEARS. but we'll see. got to the end of the test and was sure i'd screwed the pooch in a big way and contemplated not submitting the results. did, though, and got a 730 verbal and 650 math. (probably) shitty writing average aside, i feel i did okeydoke. okeydoke!
Posted: Feb 4, 2007 3:03 am

thought you had to wait like 3 or 4 weeks for the scores? how'd you know so soon?
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 3:31 pm

you get the scored math/verbal stuff automatically. the writing evaluation comes 3-4 weeks later ...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®