Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Robert Lockwood Jr. passes
Posted: Nov 22, 2006 4:07 pm

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/gossip/160718 19.htm

Delta bluesman Robert Lockwood Jr. dies at 91
Had connection with Robert Johnson
Associated Press

CLEVELAND - Robert Lockwood Jr., a pioneering Mississippi Delta blues guitarist and singer who forged a career in Cleveland, has died, a hospital spokesman said. He was 91.

Lockwood died of respiratory failure at University Hospitals Case Medical Center at 5 p.m. Tuesday, said spokesman George Stamatis. He had been a patient since suffering a stroke on Nov. 3.

Lockwood was born in Turkey Scratch, Ark. At 11, he started guitar lessons with legendary bluesman Robert Johnson, who briefly moved in with Lockwood's mother.

"He never showed me nothing two times," Lockwood said in a 2005 interview with The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer newspaper. "After I got the foundation of the way he played, everything was easy."

Lockwood worked on street corners and in bars and became a musical mentor to B.B. King, who listened to Lockwood in the 1940s on the "King Biscuit Time" radio show broadcast from Helena, Ark.

Lockwood moved to Chicago in the 1950s and was a session player on records by Little Walter, Sunnyland Slim, Roosevelt Sykes and other blues musicians. He branched out from the delta-style blues to jump blues, jazz and funk. In 1960, he moved to Cleveland and played in blues clubs for decades.

As a solo performer, Lockwood earned Grammy nominations for two albums: 1998's "I Got to Find Me a Woman" and 2000's "Delta Crossroads."
Posted: Nov 22, 2006 4:11 pm

the smell of death is everywhere....apocolypse now
Posted: Nov 22, 2006 5:07 pm

I was fortunate enough to catch Robert Jr. Lockwood at Antone's on one of the Anniversary shows they had. He sat up on a stool with Pinetop Perkins playing along- great set. He had never played Antone's before, to my knowledge or Austin. He played on so many great sides with Little Walter and Sonny Boy Williamson. Seems like he didn't suffer fools, either.
Posted: Nov 22, 2006 11:45 pm

damn, he didn't look 91. Or play like it either.
Seen him a few times at blues fest chicago, always great...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®