Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / distortion pedals...know any good ones?
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 7:16 pm

I wanna get something that doesn't sound too cheezy, but then on the other hand I might sometimes want a super obnoxious trebly fuzz sound for face melting SOLOZ.

I kinda wanna check out a Tube Screamer...are these meant to SOUND like a tube amp or WORK WITH tube amps? Or BOTH!?

What else is cool? Rat pedals? I don't know anything about those.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 7:25 pm

What kind of amp are you useing?
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 7:28 pm

I just got a Fender Blues Jr. tube amp. It sounds totally awesome and you can actually get quite a bit of crunch out of it if you really crank it, but nothing overly fuzzy.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 7:28 pm

If you got the dough, try to find one of these on ebay
URL
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/V-Twin/v-t win.html

I had one I wish I coulda kept....they look all heavy metal but they dial in sone sweeeet tones.

The RAT pedals are really good for the money....but deffo stay away from the cheap Behringer, Lyon type of pedals.....they are cheap for a reason.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 7:30 pm

Try the tube screamer...They are meant to emulate a tube driven amp.

these rock a tube amp really nice.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/TubeWorks911ClassicTubeDriverEf fectsPedal?sku=151805

Check out the Big Muff Pie also.

Rat's are ok...it's all prefference though. Check em all out.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 7:34 pm

you're a big muff pie
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 7:44 pm

Grunge Pedal. DOD.

And might I suggest 10 on the "butt", 7 for "face"?
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 7:44 pm

I hated the tube screamer. The big muff didnt do anything for me. Rats are good.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 7:54 pm

Tube Driver's where it's at...cuz it's actually got a tube in there(but they go for like 300.00) unlike the screamer . Big Muff is great for the saturated fuzz... I get the Russian ones but they only last all of 8 months.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 8:11 pm

I get the Russian ones but they only last all of 8 months.

I've had mine that I use pretty much every day for over a decade. She loves me, and I her.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 8:12 pm

really, the fucking shitty plastic inputs broke on mine...are your inputs metal?
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 8:14 pm

really, the fucking shitty plastic inputs broke on mine...are your inputs metal?

Yeah, they're metal. If that happened to me I'd say I was going to learn how to fix that pedal and then I'd keep it forever.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 8:29 pm

the Arion Tubeulator is my favorite cheap-as-fuck distortion pedal...you can sometimes find them for less than $10 new. They kind of sound like a tubescreamer.

I also like the Dano Grilled Cheese pedal. Its got a super-fuzzed-out-busted-speaker-garage-rock tone. Its a one trick pony where its not great for everything, but when its called for it really shines.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 8:44 pm

I've bought every type of distortion pedal ever made. Dont use em. Distortion/Overdrive needs to come from your amp... no subsitute. The big muffs & tube screamers might be good to just give you that extra something to cut through the mix on a solo.. but youre better off tweaking your amp to break up than buying some hunk of shit. Get on the Groove Tube website and figure out which set of those will make your amp do what you want it to do.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 8:46 pm

if i had a use for a pedal id use my rat. i also have an old morely fuzz wah, but only pull it out on sundays, holidays and special occasions.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 8:48 pm

distortion sucks.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 9:53 pm

there's a big difference between overdrives and distortion pedals. Just go down to your local music shop, bring your amp and guitar down there and just try a bunch out. People always go on message boards asking these questions when the best way to get an answer it to go check 'em out yourself. Everybody has different tastes, and your whatever guitar, amp and other effects you're using are huge variables.

But I bought a Super Hard-On recently and fucking love it. http://zvex.com/hardon.html
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 10:09 pm

Crowbar buys super hard-ons all the time.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 10:10 pm

I also used to have a Boss Distortion pedal that I had for years and worked great, but I lent it to drunk mark saturday night and I haven't seen it since. what'd you do with my pedal and my cord asshole?
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 10:36 pm

Crowbar buys super hard-ons all the time.

Yeah, well...your mom's gotta eat. I write it off as charity.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 10:41 pm

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/V-Twin/v-t win.html

I've got one of those. But I don't have the power supply, and it don't work offa batteries. I don't even know if/how well it still works. Real nice pedal though.

But my endorsement would be the Rat....I loves mine. And apparently so does a friend of mine since he won't give it back.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 10:44 pm

Is there a "good" Rat to get, like the good Big Muff? I see a bunch of different looking ones and wondered if they have the same tone extremes from different years/models.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 10:58 pm

the BOSS "distortion" pedal is perfect for a fender tube amp. it is what it says it is, and i can't really imagine needing a different distortion pedal.

now that i think about it, i might be thinking of "overdrive." either way, it's yellow, not orange. if that helps. i used it thru my friends twin reverb and it's the best sound i've ever had. not that that means very much to you, but i nearly jizzed.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 11:00 pm

Valentine's right though about the true tone and distortion coming from the amp...I got a little 10 watt Vox practice amp. The shit cranks pretty loud and you can drive the fucker all the way knowing that oh well if it blows up, it was $69.00 brand new. Better distortion than any stomp box I've ever had. Plus it's little as shit and all you need is a P/A and mic that shit for the bigger gigs.

I don't use pedals at all anymore except my Dan-Echo for Vocals.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 11:02 pm

Is there a "good" Rat to get

http://www.procosound.com/ratindex.htm#rat2
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 11:32 pm

it's yellow, not orange. if that helps

Yeah, that's the overdrive one. I had an orange distortion one and it sucked balls.
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 11:44 pm

Fulldrive II Expensive
Blues Driver Not too expensive
Big Muff Cheap

Tube Screamer Sucks balls
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 11:45 pm

Fulldrive II Expensive
Blues Driver Not too expensive
Big Muff Cheap

Tube Screamer Sucks balls
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 11:46 pm

If that little Vox has a speaker out, get a single 12' speaker cabinet and be prepared to have your head blown off.....my Pathfinder 15 sounds AMAZING through a 12" cab
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 12:16 am

Though mine has a bad jack that I gotta replace (so I am using some Zac Wylde pedal that I'm borrowing) I really dig these.
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 1:06 am | Edited by: justinm

distortion/ OD tones are very subjective- so your milage may vary.

most "tube- somethingorother" pedals are based on the same circuit that was intruduced by Ibanes with their Tubescreamer some time ago. It's a decent sound and the reason they have likened it to a tube sounding distortion is because they say it uses "soft clipping" circuit. I don't know.
I've recetly played a Boss Blues Driver and it sounds about the same, but if you dime the thing is gets into super-crazy squashed distortion.

The Rat can actually get pretty Fuzzy sounding- if you crank up the gain. it has a wide variety of sounds, but i find it always adds some high mids and highs- which is ok. the thing that i don't like about it is that if you turn the gain all the way to zero the signal goes away completly so that you cant' use it as a clean boost like you can most other pedals.

most pedals i've used, tend to color the sounds coming out of your amp in a bad way as you crank up the gain. to me it sounds like you threw a blanket over your cabinet- you loose that open, firey sounding distortion you get with a cranked tube amp. as some have said- and I agree- the best sounds come from a dimed low wattage vacuum tube amp.

that said- there is one pedal that i have used that comes close and it's the OCD from Fulltone. It really does sound and respond like an amp. like if you roll the volume down on the guitar, you get less distortion, without loosing volume like you do on a good amp. try that with a rat- it no worky. and as long as you don't turn up the gain to full on, it doesn't get that washed out blanket over the cab sound.
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 2:14 am

Posted: Nov 21, 2006 2:31 am

I said 10 watts but, yep it's the Pathfinder 15. I've never hooked it up to a bigger cab but, mic it through the house PA and it's good tits too. Can't go wrong for the price. Everyone should go out and get one.
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 2:48 am

I like the tube screamer. Sounds good LOUD thru a non master volume amp. I don't have one but I've used them a lot. They don't sound so hot at low volumes. The general opinion among people that care about these things, is that the older ones sound best. There's a guy, Analog Man, who will mod a new one to be exactly like the old one. Don't know what it costs, but a friend of mine lent me one and it was real nice. I'll probably get one sooner or later.

Pathfinder 15

I think Khan was playing thru one of these things last wednesday, sounded great.
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 3:27 am | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

BOSS Digital Metalizer.
end of thread.
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 4:55 am

rat is for gaze
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 10:17 am

I'm wid Golightly, the Vox Pathfinder 15 kicks much ass - I recently got the slightly larger version, the 15EXR, which has a 10" speaker, and don't even need a cab to move some air! I bought an old 1x12 PA cab for my 8" speaker Pathfinder 15R, whacked some Vox material on the front, bunged an Electro Harmonix alnico speaker innit from Ebay and, voila, mini-stack heaven! Interestingly, like wid the first Danelectro reissues, the price of Pathfinders went down when Vox flooded the market when they discontinued 'em - consequently, coupled with the amazing reviews on Harmony Central, peeps snapped 'em up, and now Pathfinders are selling for much more than retail in Europe, if you can even find one! Hands-down, the music equipment bargain of the decade! Think some US sites, like Musician's Friend, still have 'em ...

I use a Rocktron Austin Gold overdrive, which was pretty cheap, and doesn't knock all the bass off yer sound, like a lotta other overdrives ...
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 12:19 pm

I've used my Vox Pathfinder on every recording i've done for the last 2 years....the line out sounds great direct injected to the mixer.....when did they start making 'em with 10" speakers?
Interesting....
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 12:35 pm

Golightly, there were several variants on the Pathfinder 15R, they being:

* Pathfinder 15EXR (10" speaker)
* Pathfinder 15SMR (head & 2x10" cab)
* Pathfinder Pathfinder 15SMR408 (head & 4x8" cab!!!!!)

The 15EXR came out in Europe and the US, and apparently there wuz only 500 each of the mini-stacks for the North American market.

The stacks turn up on ebay pretty regular ...
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 2:49 pm

I use the Boss Super Feedbacker and Distorter, but they don't make it any more. My signature/trademark shitty dingy guitar sound has a lot to do with that. Recommended.
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 4:59 pm

the pathfinders were the ones with a tube preamp, right? i played with one for a while, and it sounded fantastic. but after blowing the speaker, i fried the whole thing trying to hook it up to some crazy speaker horn. be sure to check the impedence, kids.

got a new slightly smaller solid state vox recently, and it sounds pretty great, too - especially when you remind yourself it only cost $60.
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 5:24 pm

Naah, Pathfinder's all transistorised, the Vox Cambridge is the one with the tube pre-amp ...
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 5:39 pm

LUKE WARM......28 bucks for the ac adaptor for the V Twin......WELL worth it to get it up and running.....and if you don't like it, ebay the fucker.....they go pretty high

http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/v2-pwr-sup.html

URL
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 7:34 pm

right, right, i blew up a cambridge. i'm gonna have to try micing this pathfinder. i've only used it as a practice amp. it's cheaper than a tube screamer, too.

oooh, or maybe i should just buy like a dozen of them and build a wall. ílos buddies! live at pompeii.
Posted: Nov 21, 2006 8:30 pm

oooh, or maybe i should just buy like a dozen of them and build a wall. ílos buddies! live at pompeii.

I had 2 Pathfinders running in stereo.....it was deffo giggable and if you set the tremelo rates different on each amp, it will make you throw up.

Instead of micing the amp, run it direct into the board and run some back to your monitor.....
Posted: Nov 22, 2006 12:08 am

Golightly, now THAT'S A FUCKING IDEA! Will try it with my Ricky 370/12 and a splitter cable ...
Posted: Nov 22, 2006 2:47 am

Posted: Nov 22, 2006 7:38 am

Grunge Pedal. Thread closed.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®