Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Best place to get vinyl pressed?
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 2:03 pm

I know this is a boring technical question, but I need help. I'm trying to find the best plant to press up our record. Ideally it should be pretty cheap also. Does anyone out there have experience with this? It would be a run of either 500 or 1000. I'd rather it be in the U.S. than in Europe just because I'd like to be closer to the manufacturing in case something goes wrong.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 2:11 pm

I've never used them myself, but a couple people I know have spoken highly of RTI, along the lines of "they cost more, but it's worth it":

http://www.recordtech.com

There was also an earlier thread on this topic that might give you other ideas:

http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=4&to pic=10167&page=0
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 2:11 pm

Is it true that you guys are doing the next LP yourselves? Kevin Mistreater suggested Pirate Press (he did the Goodnight Loving LP there), but I've also heard some bad things regarding how they use their masters (this from hardcore people, apparently a large chunk of the hardcore scene uses PP right now). Aardvark (or another mastering plant) to United is cheap and probably the most common route.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 2:16 pm

musicolrecordings.com

Pirate's Press is great and cheap, too.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 2:51 pm

Dont use united. The last time I went to them they messed up the entire pressing and did nothing to make up for it. Plus they still havent reimbursed me for the records i had to send back to them.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 3:02 pm

musicolrecordings.com

You'ld save money on shipping this way. And be able to show up on their door step if you got any run around. But I've also only heard good things about people who've gone through them.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 3:03 pm

rainbow, out in la, any color or shape etc, never had any problems with them
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 3:06 pm

Hugh Jass isn't up yet, but he went through Musicol for their 7" and I heard those songs before the record came out on a CDR and then was blown away by how huge the recording sounded on the 7". And I'm pretty sure Musicol did the mastering too?
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 3:10 pm

Dont use united. The last time I went to them they messed up the entire pressing and did nothing to make up for it. Plus they still havent reimbursed me for the records i had to send back to them.

I'm curious what happened. Was the test pressing good and then the real pressing fucked? I've used them five times and no problems but I'm not in the mood for a suprise next time.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 3:23 pm

United seems a little backwards, like there are only three people working there, but they always come through for me. Used them for six 45s. The last two times we had them press stuff that we got mastered at Aardvark - they do have their own mastering but it's a little bit more $$ and not as good. Aardvark does the best mastering I've had so far. I've heard bad things about PP also but never used them...
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 3:25 pm

i've heard some bad things about pirates press, and they're not actually cheaper on 7"s (maybe LPs but i don't know) unless you're doing crazy colors. and they are doing something different with the mastering. they don't make laquers, they just take your final cdr and have a machine that can cut plates from it. since they're located in CR, they're probably FTPing a digital version to the plant, but i don't know this for sure.

my friend in ATL who runs Hoss Records uses Erica to do the whole package (pressing and artwork) and I've used them for artwork before. No complaints from either of us.

i use united for everything and have never had any problems. they're a little old fashioned, but good honest people that i've been able to form a good relationship with. they've even completed an order in two weeks for me when i needed it bad!
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 3:27 pm

don't use whoever norton uses. every lp i buy from them is warped (esp my new alarm clocks album). wtf???
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 3:31 pm

dang, erika was what i was thinking when i said rainbow. where is rainbow, i know i've used them before?
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 3:33 pm

all my good crypt recs are warped too. maybe it's on purpose. crypt an norton rule!!!
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 3:42 pm

dang, erika was what i was thinking when i said rainbow.

Slovenly uses Erika also and I've never had a record from the label that was flawed. OK, a couple of the releases were corny, but...
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 3:44 pm

they also have done excellent mastering for me in the past.

how could you even tell, dick for ears???
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 3:57 pm

United sucks. Their customer service is garbage, they use the thinnest vinyl in the world, and in the past have lost my paperwork, sent me the wrong records... I use musicol now and couldnt be happier.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 3:59 pm

Hey-
Thanks for all of the feedback. It's interesting to hear actual experiences. I would like to use musicol because of the hometown connection. They don't do artwork, but I was thinking of getting blank sleeves and attaching the artwork with glue or something like that. It's labor intensive, but maybe I could save some money doing that. I hate that so many modern pressings are dished or warped or the center hole is too small. All those little things are so bothersome. I heard musiol has some problems in that way too.

This was a process I had no idea I was going to have to face. We've always been on a label. But now somehow it seems that I should do it myself. Our deal with In The Red fell through at the very last minute. Everything is done but the actual pressing. Distribution and everything is a mystery to me now, but I'll figure it out. Anybody know of cool little distribution companies let me know. I know of the major ones Revolver etc, but I'm sure there are others I don't know about. Thank you for your help from all the Cheater Slicks! Our new label is called Morbid Web.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 4:00 pm

There should seriously be a FAQ section.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 4:01 pm

If you only press 500 I bet you could sell all of them just through message boards and myspace.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 4:01 pm

You're a FAQ.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 4:02 pm

It would be helpful to have a place where you could go to find lists of pressing plants, distributors etc. so that people could do things more easily on their own.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 4:05 pm

You might want to check this site as well:

http://www.indiecentre.com/category.cfm?CategoryID=4

Not sure how much use it really is, since nearly every listing has both positive testimonials and horror stories, (it also may be somewhat old?) but at least it gives a list of a lot of the companies that are out there.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:04 pm

United is only good for 7" that aren't hoping for a big sound. Trashy stuff only.

RTI is the most professional, no BS pressing plant in the US. They are also about 10% more expensive than anyone else, but the vinyl is rock solid. In The Red presses their stuff there.

When it comes time to distribute the record do NOT use Get Hip, you will never see a dime. And, paradoxically, half your records will moulder on their shelves in anonymity.

Deal direct with the various mailorders, that's pay-as-you-go, can't beat that.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:06 pm

Agreed - stay away from Get Hip at all costs.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:08 pm

Get Hip has had a bad reputation for years, but thanks for the tip.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:09 pm

hey denkinger!!! send me some fuckin toe rag lps from your mom's garage!!!
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:17 pm

it was the new split cococoma did with the turps... test pressing was fine but when the final product came our side was a Pedro the Lion Christmas song.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:18 pm

I feel like the issue with a lot of merch related companies is that the employees are STONERS!
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:18 pm

prob an improvement!!!
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:22 pm

prob an improvement!!!

didn't see that coming from 8000 miles away!
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:26 pm

I feel like the issue with a lot of merch related companies is that the employees are STONERS!

see: Black Hole Press
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:27 pm | Edited by: LisaLisa

barharhar. is it 4:20 yet?
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:30 pm

Distro suggestions:

UMed
Goner
Florida's Dying
Bistro Distro (Canada)
Zaxxon (Canada)
Contaminated
Norton
Crypt
SS
Know Crap (though he's in the middle of a move or something)

For these two:

Revolver
Clear Spot (Europe)

...email me if you need a direct contact or are having problems (though you probably wouldn't have problems with Revolver w/ the ITR history).

Cheater Slicks will sell 500 LPs a lot faster than you think.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:30 pm

No, it's beer thirty! PARTY!!!
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 5:53 pm

... test pressing was fine but when the final product came our side was a Pedro the Lion Christmas song.

something sorta like this happened with me too, i had more than one order being worked on and one order came back with the other order's labels. but that doesn't mean i'm gonna quit doing business with them. i just called them up and they had new ones sent out to me in about a week. if anything i got 300 free 7"s even if they have the wrong label.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 6:02 pm

I'm just being conservative right now because of cash flow and also I've been fed nothing but a steady diet of how my band doesn't sell from every label I've ever been on (refer to awful crypt thread from a while back). At least my losses or gains will be my own if I put it out myself.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 6:28 pm

they use the thinnest vinyl in the world

I compared my first record with them and the most recent and it seems the vinyl has gotten thicker. How this would come to pass, I do not know.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 7:22 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

And I'm pretty sure Musicol did the mastering too?
Yep, they mastered our 7", too. And Musicol beat United's price for a run of 300 records by more than $50. I used to use United when I had a label back in the early-mid 90's and they always did a good job, but I've heard so many horror stories about their recent performance, I'm not taking any chances.

Pirate's Press is great and cheap, too.
I've also heard good things about Pirate's Press from Chris at Hook or Crook records, but for our short-run 7", Musicol was waaaaay cheaper than Pirate's Press.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 7:52 pm

Who's Erika? Contact info?
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 8:16 pm

test pressing was fine but when the final product came our side was a Pedro the Lion Christmas song.
Did you get to keep the wrong records? If Pedro the Lion becomes huge, those records could be worth millions, like that stamp with the upside-down airplane on it.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 8:25 pm

Who's Erika? Contact info?

i talked to ken@erikarecords.com he was nice.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 9:03 pm

i had more than one order being worked on and one order came back with the other order's labels.

Was this the Cole split 10"? My copy looked like there were some 1st graders and some Elmers employed to attach it.

Musicol wins again! Go Columbus!
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 9:33 pm

so i'm assumin we've found a winner here. musicol. same town as the slicks an everythin. plus the guy who hates shea stadium used em an united blows. man law???
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 9:48 pm

Was this the Cole split 10"? My copy looked like there were some 1st graders and some Elmers employed to attach it.

no, it was the classic plus 45 that had all night drug prowling wolves labels on it.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 10:04 pm

no, it was the classic plus 45 that had all night drug prowling wolves labels on it.

You should burn all of those except for 5 of them and list them on ebay as "one of only 5- the rest of these rarities burned in a tragic fire!"
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 10:16 pm

i gave some to the band members but i plan on sending the rest back to united to recycle the vinyl. just havent got around to it.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 10:36 pm

Thanks for all the ideas...I'll let you know how it goes...
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 11:49 pm

we use united, but it helps to have a relationship with 'em. master at prarie cat, and ross-ellis for lp covers.

we are using bill smith for the leather uppers reissue and it is taking FOREVER. Blargh.
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 2:39 am

about to send something off to aardvark to get mastered and found this page while surfing their site...

http://www.aardvarkmastering.com/prestext.htm

many of these places were mentioned in this thread but i thought posting a concise list would be helpful for some people.
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 5:03 am

I like using Aardvark for mastering. They've done me no wrong.
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 3:43 am

Has anyone ever used Archer in Detroit for pressing? Their website says they press for $0.50/record.

www.archerrecordpressing.com
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 3:49 am

Brooklyn Phono is amazong. They only do 12inch right now, 7 inch press should be up this summer sometime. Really great wax. They are very quality qontrol oriented. Sundazed and Crypt uses them...
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 3:52 am

Yeah, I emailed them awhile back 'cuase I wanted 'em to do my 7"s, but got the ole "Only 12", brah" deal.

This is exciting news.

But what about Archer?
Posted: Mar 13, 2007 3:55 am

No idea...
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 5:53 pm

archer is pretty awesome. i've used them for the last 10 or so singles on cass (muldoons, dan sartain, the go, human eye, etc) and they're easy as pie to work with. i know the hot machines and hunches on dusty medical were pressed there as well. and yes, it's only .50 a single.
one small down-side...maybe one in every 25 records has a slight dish warp. it can be a little frustrating but i've yet to have any customers complain. and dished records still play. i'm convinced most people don't look at their tone-arm when their records are playing.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 5:58 pm

i do. if i see a new record all wobbly it bugs me.
Posted: Mar 14, 2007 6:46 pm

Hey Ben- thanks for the info. I was gonna email you and asked if you knew anything about 'em, being from the same town and all. Now I don't gotta!
jackpenetrater
Posted: Mar 15, 2007 3:14 am

Any EAST Coast vinyl pressing plants descent??
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®