Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 5:14 pm

I'm going to be in Berlin from November 21-28. I know about the tourist stuff, but anyone got tips on good bars, restaurants, record stores, etc... Also, there's about a million youth hostels in Berlin. Is there any neighbourhood that would be better to stay in than others? Thanks.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 5:29 pm

Make sure to ride the metro.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 5:48 pm

i am living in berlin and gonna re-open wowsville in a couple of weeks... so if you need anything let me know... my neiborhood is call kreuzberg, that is where i have the store and i live
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 5:58 pm

I stayed at this hostel recently ...

http://www.hostelz.com/hostel/34559-Citystay-Mitte-Hostel

It's clean and in a central location by Alexanderplatz, but sort of a stodgy corporate feel to it. Fine for what it is though. You can rent a bike at Alexanderplatz and I'd definitely recommend it. Easiest way to get around the city. Might be kind of cold now though.

Check out the White Trash Fast Food bar. Alberto said that it used to be a dive bar. Now it's in a fancy building and feels kind of like a cabaret. The food's good. Mostly an English speaking crowd hanging out so if you're looking for an authentic german place, this isn't it, but you'll likely have a good time there and maybe hear some good music. The Spits just played there I think.
http://www.whitetrashfastfood.com/

Watch out for the surly jockish Berliners. I was called an American piece of shit and told to get out of the country my first night there by a couple of frat-looking dudes in the subway. Goddamn nazis.
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 5:59 pm

Hey alberto!! You sonofabitch!
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 1:03 am

I hope you packed your prosthetic foreskin!
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 6:50 pm

alberto! i might be in berlin in about a month. will you be open by then? any good shows coming up?
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 6:56 pm

WOWS!VILLE RULES! WEASEL IN THE BATHROOM!!!
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 6:58 pm

wowsville does indeed rule. alberto put me on to so much great stuff over the years at the store in nyc.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 7:42 pm

hey kosta!!! sure i will be here, and the best show coming up is the news years eve... king khan and bbq show at the white trash and i will be djing... it will be great to see you again... when was the last time in venice???
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 7:57 pm

yeah, venice was the last time i think. what a great night! i flew in that day and explored the city with friends all day, had a big venetian seafood dinner and then went to see the Black Lips after being up for 36 hours or something. AND i run into you!!! amazing times.

if i make it to berlin it may only be for the 2nd week in december. my travels are a little tentative still.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 8:06 pm

Hey Alberto do you know a record collector guy named Jurn? hangs out with this dude Christian. Probably a long shot, but he lives in West Berlin. I met him there last year and lost his number. He gave me a copy of Amon Duul Yeti on vinyl for free! Germans rule.
Posted: Nov 15, 2006 9:52 pm

Kreuzberg has a lot of cool shops and bars. I had fun there.
Posted: Nov 16, 2006 12:40 pm

Grand canyons of space and time universal
My mind is subjected to all

Stab! bawl! punch! crawl!
Hooks to my brain are well in
Stab! bawl! punch! crawl!
I know what I am, Im berlin
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 10:14 am

Thanks for the tips. I'm staying a place in Prenzlauerberg that a friend recommended but I'll head down to Kreuzberg as well. Unfortunately Wowsville wont be opening until after I leave. Anyone know of any other record stores?
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 5:10 pm

MOJOMATICS playing 22nd @ Wild at Heart and KIDNAPPERS on 23rd @SO36
Posted: Nov 20, 2006 8:08 pm

Hey Alex,

Make sure you check out the Absinthe Depot in Berlin. You can sample stuff before you buy.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 11:45 am

hey alberto. i am in berlin. where is the shop at? any good shows this week?
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 12:08 pm

The shop is at Skalityer strasse 80, 10997, Berlin.
Don't buy it empty, I'll be going there in about two weeks.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 5:15 pm

Lou Reed is staging a musical based on his LP "Berlin". I read about it today. It sounds awful. Anthony is the background singer for the entire thing. Now it truly is the most depressing record ever. Why couldn't they just leave it alone? The show is sold out for all four shows in NYC. What's wrong with that city?
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 6:25 pm

I saw a dude that looks exactly like you on the street yesterday. Maybe that's the answer.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Lou Reed is staging a musical based on his LP "Berlin". I read about it today. It sounds awful. Anthony is the background singer for the entire thing. Now it truly is the most depressing record ever. Why couldn't they just leave it alone? The show is sold out for all four shows in NYC. What's wrong with that city?

Where'd you hear all this? I have tickets to this show cause I heard it was Lou Reed playing the Berlin album. I love that album! Didn't hear nothing about it being a musical!
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 6:48 pm

I heard it was Lou Reed playing the Berlin album

I guess I'm exaggerating a litttle...maybe it'll be good. Let us know.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 10:35 pm | Edited by: kosta

thanks for the address jasper! iŽll try and leave a few records for ya.
Posted: Dec 13, 2006 10:40 pm

i seen lou reed on broadway when he played the new york albumen w/ wifey cauze she got free tickets. i fell asleep halfway through like when i seen television. zzz...
Posted: Dec 15, 2006 2:50 pm

i seen lou reed on broadway when he played the new york albumen w/ wifey cauze she got free tickets. i fell asleep halfway through like when i seen television. zzz...

Because...YOU THE MAN DINGLEBERRY!
Posted: Dec 15, 2006 3:31 pm

Hey Kosta... the address is
Skalitzer strasse 80 10997 and is in Kruezberg 36 U-ban Shlesisches Tor
I am Djing next tuesday at the Bassy club for d diggler biggest buddy in the world mr. ruddy protudy with his newest shamefull combo.
Posted: Dec 15, 2006 3:39 pm

Hey fag, I'm diggler's biggest buddy.

Alberto rules!
Posted: Dec 15, 2006 11:41 pm

hey alberto, i have to leave berlin in the morning unfortunately. sorry i didnŽt make it down to see you. hope you have good holidays amigo. until next time...
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 5:14 pm | Edited by: Eric H

I heard it was Lou Reed playing the Berlin album

I guess I'm exaggerating a litttle...maybe it'll be good. Let us know.

It was pretty miserable over all. The guitarist was wanking off with horrible solos throughout, and jamming with the white man overbite. They turned some songs into funky-rock jams that were just disgusting.

The drummer was behind plexiglass and there was a "conductor" on stage wearing a powder blue jacket that said Berlin on the back, and when he wasn't conducting the drummer, he played air guitar.

But, for a few songs, the guitarist backed off and it was mostly just Lou and an upright bassist, and that was actually really good.
Posted: Dec 18, 2006 6:47 pm

I read a review of it in the NYTimes and it sounded like it got better, like you said, when they backed off. Berlin is a great record. I just don't like it when they reinterpret things like this. That record is best listened to alone at night with the lights out. How could you then make a stage show out of it? I guess that was my initial point. Thanks for the report though.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®